Bodge City - Bye Bye Bick

PhilH

• RMweb Premium

"It's how much? Seriously?"

About 5 yuan I suspect!

Who is the short fat old guy in your railway room? Scary!

It's a great layout to play trains on. Hours of switching fun to be had.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

...the back scene that is. Decided to make a couple of flats to add to backscene, one from left over kit parts the other from junk. Not sure if they do a lot for the trainset but they're stuck down now so tuff t*tty.

edit double grrr again...note to Apple..if I want to type  t r a i n s e t darn well let me!

post-6683-0-79755100-1457021909_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit mixed media but the backdrop is evolving. Just have to work out how to make a road under a building disappear into the distance now.

post-6683-0-75142500-1457045764_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-47375200-1457045774_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I am done with backscenes...as in finished them and bored with them.

edit..no I'm not , found something else to stick something on. Doh!

post-6683-0-10715200-1457453941_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-05085900-1457453948_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-42275400-1457453956_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The other end of the trainset is less urban so is a bit more countryfied...aka I'm bored with buildings so stuck a tree scene in.

As an aside I spent seemingly hours trying to track down easy programs for the mac whereby you can take a photo and stretch it over several pages to make, for instance, backdrops. Turns out all you have to do is import a photo into Safari and increase the scale. Easypeasy, I heart my mac or whatever they say these days.

Anyway, this is how it looks at the mo, might change it later.

post-6683-0-85849600-1457527926_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-80776100-1457527935_thumb.jpg

You have done a fine job there Phil, watch for your ideas reappearing somewhere else. Sadly sacks of spuds are more artistic than me. 

Likewise!

I was going to click "agree" but I didn't want you to think that I thought you were like a sack of spuds, Mick!

Seriously, it's looking really good, nay fantastic now, Phil!

I hope you really enjoy getting into 'operations' now that most of the building work is done.

Cheers,

John.

PS the open scenery pics just went up while I was typing, they are what made me change good to fantastic! I love it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments. As far as the ops side go surprisingly amazingly it actually runs fairly well. No problems so far with the electrics, although to say it is a birds nest of wires underneath is to be unkind to birds nests. A couple of the homemade points have to be adjusted for clearances, but nothing major.

Still a bit of a way to go on the scenic side with people, urban junk, loads etc. to be added, also details to be painted. I also have a few car kits, mainly pick ups and  vans, to make. 

When I get round to seriously playing (can you seriously play at something?) trains I'm going to do it properly (which will be the first thing done properly on this layout) and have a waybill system which should make for some interesting switching conundrums.

Thanks for taking an interest in it.

• RMweb Gold

Starting to add a few details to the trainset now. Dingy stuff, coal in the coal depot, signage, still loads to do. 

The best bit about this trainset for me is that, whether it's good, bad or indifferent I have to admit to a mild outbreak of enthusiasm for modelling, which has been in very short supply over the last few years.

post-6683-0-29281200-1457966730_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That is a seriously ugly truck you have there in the coal yard.

I thought you said you weren't going to run steamers!

Cheers

Dave

You leave my 1955 White alone!

i'm gonna run anything that makes it through the rickety track work....

• RMweb Gold

Surprisingly the steamers rattle round quite well...

post-6683-0-91246400-1458060458_thumb.jpg

edit..might ditch the pesky shadow casting flour mill and put something else there....have I developed Bodge City OCD? Nooooooooooo.......

• RMweb Gold

Thank you..it's a Pere Marquette 2-8-4 built by Lima. PM was bought by the C&O railroad in 1947 so it can be run on Chesapeake and Ohio and Baltimore and Ohio trains.

It's also just about the biggest loco I can get away with on the trainset.

• RMweb Gold

That's probably the route I'll go down Mick, but we'll see. After the sugar rush of enthusiasm I've got a bit of brain ache with it today so will leave it for a bit. 

If I'm going to run steamers as well I suppose I'll have to squeeze in at least a water spout and tank somewhere.

Endless....

Thank you..it's a Pere Marquette 2-8-4 built by Lima. PM was bought by the C&O railroad in 1947 so it can be run on Chesapeake and Ohio and Baltimore and Ohio trains.

It's also just about the biggest loco I can get away with on the trainset.

Thanks Phil. Rule 1 always applies..

• RMweb Gold

Bick Flour is no more. Smith's Transfer and Storage Co. (a real company btw) has taken over the site. They store and transfer everything from cars to furniture to, um, stuff.

No more shadows but, as always, one step forward has thrown up more things to fret about. Two things this time (at time of posting), namely I don't know if I like it or not. I can't put my finger on it, but anyway I won't rip it up just yet, will see if it grows on me.

Secondly the end of the road. As can be seen I have absolutely no idea how to make the roadway seem as if it tunnels under the building and comes into the town at the other side. By doing what I've done it shows it up more.....told you I was artistic as a sack of spuds!

Anyway, some cruel camera shots...

post-6683-0-70080500-1458649631_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-86382400-1458649637_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-66490800-1458649644_thumb.jpg

Archived