BR brake van liveries?

I thought that I would be able to answer this question by doing a google search but I have had no luck. Which livery was used on brake vans during the BR early crest period ? Was this the grey colour ? (I realise that many brake vans during this period would still be carrying the LMS, GWR, LNER and Southern markings.) Which livery was used during the BR later crest period ? Was this the bauxite colour or did grey and bauxite have nothing to do with time periods ?

• Like 1

As with other freight stock BR livery dictated unfitted brake vans were painted grey, fitted were painted bauxite.

Obviously there will be the odd exception to the rule (as in most lerge organisations).

Brian R

• Like 1

Guest stuartp

Mornin'

I think that through Vac-piped i.e.not fitted but able to brake a vac-braked train were also bauxite.

Steve

Correct (usually). A lot of BR vans (most ?) were in fact piped only. That way the guard could still apply the brake via the brake valve in the van, but the added complication (and expense) of vac cylinders on the van was avoided. On a proper fitted van the vac pipe upstand (or part of it) should be red, on a piped van it was white (I think I've got those the right way round). See numerous earlier threads by PennineMC and others for more details on this particular peculiarity.

• Like 1

Correct (usually). A lot of BR vans (most ?) were in fact piped only. That way the guard could still apply the brake via the brake valve in the van, but the added complication (and expense) of vac cylinders on the van was avoided. On a proper fitted van the vac pipe upstand (or part of it) should be red, on a piped van it was white (I think I've got those the right way round). See numerous earlier threads by PennineMC and others for more details on this particular peculiarity.

Yep,

you're right about red for fitted , white for piped only. I think this may also be linked to the empty XP box seen on a lot of post '64 brake van branding. Was it that only fully fitted brake vans actually had XP in the box, whilst those left empty were piped only?

• Like 1

Yep,

you're right about red for fitted , white for piped only. I think this may also be linked to the empty XP box seen on a lot of post '64 brake van branding. Was it that only fully fitted brake vans actually had XP in the box, whilst those left empty were piped only?

If you mean the square box to the right of the left hand number box then these were rarely used - they seem to have been for some sort of route information; they occasionally had a number in them. It was not for XP which was used for all piped vans as well as the rare vacuum braked ones. Do not overlook all freight stock was freight stock red for a few years after the introduction of the corporate image in 1964.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

Freight Stock red?

Help me out Paul, that's not Bauxite, not BR freight brown, or Gulf red, no? Fixated as I am with my own warped vision of Doctor B's Modern Image, this is fundamental.

EDIT: GSW expertise of the era to my rescue: see post below :lol:

Freight Stock red?

Help me out Paul, that's not Bauxite, not BR freight brown, or Gulf red, no? Fixated as I am with my own warped vision of Doctor B's Modern Image, this is fundamental.

from some time back, save Paul's fingers :)

Unfortunately except for a period which began in January 1963 and ended ??? when everything was to be painted freight stock red (BR never referred to the colour as Bauxite, presumably because it was not purely made from Bauxite ore). But yes, before and after that period grey unfitted, FSR for piped and power braked wagons.

• Like 1

As Stuart says, there are many existing posts/threads going into the 'ifs and buts', such as vans becoming 'de-fitted' but not reliveried. I'm also fairly sure there's a pic in Eric Gent's book showing a brand new unfitted van in bauxite

If you mean the square box to the right of the left hand number box then these were rarely used - they seem to have been for some sort of route information; they occasionally had a number in them. It was not for XP which was used for all piped vans as well as the rare vacuum braked ones.

I havent time to dig it out now but I have a copy of a BR doc from the NRM suggesting that a new system of speed classification was to be introduced with the post-'64 lettering; photographs of the period obviously suggest it wasnt widely adopted, if at all, but it is possible to find pics of Vanwides and Palvans with '2' or '4' in the box at right of the number box. IIRC it doesnt mention the meaning of an empty box, but evidence of that on steel minerals and Plates might mean it was for the lowest speed classification, i.e. unfitted wagons

I would hazard a guess that this system was intended to supersede the 'XP' marking, although there is of course plenty of evidence to show that 'XP' boxes were carried on all sorts of wagons with the post-'64 liveries

• Like 2

Going back to the livery question. What colour did they paint the roofs of brake vans? Was it white and soon weathered to a dirty grey/black or were they painted grey in the first place?

Cheers,

Willy

• Like 1

Going back to the livery question. What colour did they paint the roofs of brake vans? Was it white and soon weathered to a dirty grey/black or were they painted grey in the first place?

This was covered in the forum's last incarnation if you want to try searching. Photos I posted at the time appear to show basic 'roofing felt' colour (i.e. not quite black) with a bit of added dirt.

• Like 1

I havent time to dig it out now but I have a copy of a BR doc from the NRM suggesting that a new system of speed classification was to be introduced with the post-'64 lettering; photographs of the period obviously suggest it wasnt widely adopted, if at all, but it is possible to find pics of Vanwides and Palvans with '2' or '4' in the box at right of the number box. IIRC it doesnt mention the meaning of an empty box, but evidence of that on steel minerals and Plates might mean it was for the lowest speed classification, i.e. unfitted wagons

I would hazard a guess that this system was intended to supersede the 'XP' marking, although there is of course plenty of evidence to show that 'XP' boxes were carried on all sorts of wagons with the post-'64 liveries

Thanks, that is an interesting and very plausible explanation. I cannot recollect ever hearing any explanation for these boxes, which do not appear on the colour plate in the Corporate identity manual. Do you have a reference to where this was found in the NRM as I would be interested to see it - and only live 10 minutes walk from their library?

As you say Gent E (1999) British Railways Brake vans and ballast ploughs. Pub. By HMRS 92pp. ISBN 0 – 902835 – 16 –5. should be referred to for brake van liveries.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

As Stuart says, there are many existing posts/threads going into the 'ifs and buts', such as vans becoming 'de-fitted' but not reliveried. I'm also fairly sure there's a pic in Eric Gent's book showing a brand new unfitted van in bauxite

Quite often (but by no means universal) the ends of van were painted grey when de-fitted.

The book Paul Bartlett mentions is invaluable and well worth investing in.

Cheers

Griff

• Like 1

Do you have a reference to where this was found in the NRM as I would be interested to see it - and only live 10 minutes walk from their library?

It's in the Minutes of the Wagon Standards Subcommittee Paul, minute 5821 dated 28.2.63, and now I have it here it specifically says 'This code figure would supersede existing "XP" and "Star" markings. It goes on to list specific vehicle types/classes. It has a handwritten note, 'Amended - See Minute 5851', which I dont think I have any notes of, but as it's clearly only a proposal, that might refer to its non-adoption.

If you need anything more, get one of my friends to let you have my email addy (as you can't PM me), or if you find it it, would you report back on whether 5851 adds anything?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What about engineering department brake vans ? Were they black ? Does anybody have any photos of such a van either as a model or the prototype so I can see the numbering and lettering ?

I am building the Dapol BR brake van at the moment and I am think of finishing it as an engineering department van if I can get the correct transfers.

What about engineering department brake vans ? Were they black ?

...I am building the Dapol BR brake van at the moment and I am think of finishing it as an engineering department van

Not BR builds, because they werent built for that use and wouldnt have passed into it whilst that livery was current. The earliest to do so would probably have been in the late 60s, they'd have either kept their traffic livery or possibly received olive green if on the SR

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

What about engineering department brake vans ? Were they black ? Does anybody have any photos of such a van either as a model or the prototype so I can see the numbering and lettering ?

I am building the Dapol BR brake van at the moment and I am think of finishing it as an engineering department van if I can get the correct transfers.

Hundreds on my zenfolio site - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan As others have said none were built for the engineers, so all were later transfers.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Should hAve been more specific

What I meant wAs would red grey have been used regardless of if they were fitted or unfitted?

So should I, looking back at that post. Red/grey was 'the Speedlink livery' and thus only applicable to stock fitted with air brakes - vac fitted, piped or unfitted wagons should have retained existing liveries or, if repainted, been done in bauxite/brown. I do STR though that a few CAP (vac piped) brakes incorrectly got the red/grey.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...