Hornby R4458 S&D coach pack

Tim Hale

• RMweb Premium

Kind of. It contains the Maunsell low window composite and brake thirds in BR(S) livery that had previously only appeared once in one train pack IIRC. All other releases of the low window stock have been in SR liveries I think (and maybe blood and custard as well, though I'm not sure about that).

Ian, you are mostly correct!

This is the first time that the S&D sets 390-399 have been offered in BR colours and something i've been waiting and pestering Hornby for ever since they annouced the Maunsell stock. To date the brake 3rds have appeared in SR lined green, but neither of the BR liveries. The blood and custard 4 comp brake 3rds were only the high windowed stock.

Tim, i'm sure you can probably get away with using some of the already extant Maunsell coaches on an S&D based layout, however they would only be a rare visitor and not one of the sets that were assigned to the S&D during the summer months (a selection from 390-399 dependant on year!).

The only photographic evidence I have found of a Maunsell set that was not from sets 390-399 to date is set 244 after it was converted from a 4 coach formation to a 3 coach set. This includes 2 x 6 comp brake 3rds with high windows and 2 lav vents. This set can be produced by using 4305A and/or 4305B with a little bit of renumbering. Unfortunately these were the first batch produced and despite prior warning, Hornby didn't realise that the demand for the brake 3rds would far outstrip the other diagrams (due to the need of 2 brake 3rds to make an appropriate set!), this means that these items are rare and hard to get hold of. I have managed to pick up one for my own S&D modelling requirements but still require a 2nd brake 3rd. As mentioned, other Maunsell coaches were undoubtably used over the S&D on excusions or whatever from Bournemouth, however I haven't been able to confirm these due to lack of photo's showing the set numbers on the end's of the coaches.

Hope that helps

Paul

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had an email form Hattons to say I've been charge for the S&D Maunsell coach pack (R4458). Looks like I'll be getting an unexpected Christmas present.

Same here !. Best get in quick folks

Seems a nice set apart from the excessive price asked for it at about £90 including postage and packaging from some suppliers. Maybe a quick look on eBay could be a good start or wait till they drop in price to a reasonable £75. But it's nice to see a set with 2 brake coaches included all we need is the Bulleid coaches upto the same spec now.

Getting back to reality-

Sets 390-399 built in 1926 BTK-CK-BTK were originally Wat-WoE lo-window sets where the extra luggage space was deemed to be required however this was at cost of passenger capacity and the SR passed them onto the S&D for which the SR had a responsibility for coaching stock. Presumably passenger capacity on the S&D was not the SR's first priority?

Therefore, a set would not be amiss on a WoE layout and would make an interesting comparison to the lo-window 6-comp brakes introduced with the SR suburban set and the hi-window 4-comp brakes?

That should be at least four different types of Maunsell brake from Hornby?

Tim

• RMweb Gold

That should be at least four different types of Maunsell brake from Hornby?

6 if you include low- and high-window BCKs. I am under the impression that 390-9 were moved to the S&D from the late '40s onwards, and of course in this livery they are clearly late-50s onwards. All of which makes calling them an S&D set slightly ambiguous for those who do not look closely. It has clearly confused Hattons, who have them down as Big 4 era!

Mike King's book mentions them getting onto Summer Saturday services occasionally, so you might be able to justify having one in a WoE rake.

The frequency of their use on the WoE could well be more than occasional in the mid-late 50's, I have at least two photos of different sets at Yeovil Junction.

Hopefully once the Christmas froth dissipates, the sets will appear at around £75, BTW the suburban sets were sold off for just £50.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

I have to say Well Done Hornby for producing a complete set of coaches in a pack. And as far as I can see there are no livery errors this time - some other BR Green Maunsell's have had the first class 1 too low on the doors and others brown window surrounds as per Southern versions.

I do think this is a good way to go and I would like to see some four car sets too, such as used on Reading-Redhill-Tonbridge etc. towards the end of steam on that line. Some yellow first class lining above the windows would be a good new variant on the CKs.

Personally, I'm not sure that we will see these sets at reduced or bargain prices. The S&D always sells well - Hattons to name but one shop has already sold out of the BR Std 4MT 75072 (R3016) and is awaitng new stock whereas the earlier versions hung around for ages and were heavily reduced. Yes, other sets such as the Suburban Packs ended up being reduced, but IIRC in these Packs you had to buy a loco as well or the coach pack only had part of the set.

Time will tell...

EDIT: This Maunsell 1957 suburban coach pack http://www.ehattons.com/Trade/StockDetail.aspx?SID=25808 sold out quite quickly too.

• RMweb Gold

Some nice archive footage of one of these sets on a local at Basingstoke in the late 1940s - starts about 15 seconds into the video. Can't make out the set number, or the loco number (an N15X "Remembrance" class). The loco's headcode suggests a Basingstoke to Waterloo train. Rest of the video is fascinating too.

And at 3m30s another set appears in the formation of a Bournemouth express behind a Lord Nelson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZUzO-Hy054&list=UUahuJlde02RxvwO82gbrXtw&index=29&feature=plpp_video

Some very good footage there, RFS. Many thanks for finding and posting it. :good:

Southern Region in it's early days. Not a BR Standard in sight, either locos or coaches, with very few coaches in Crimson & Cream.

Apart from the Maunsells, (Going off track, a little). what caught my eye, 3min. 20secs. in, was one of the early Bulleid, multi-door 64'-6" 3-Car sets. Very rare beasties, these. Only 4 of 'em.

Also, 4min. 35secs. in, a 'Tavern' set, in simplified Crimson & Cream. No mock 'Oak Beams' or 'Brickwork', just the 'Pub sign'.

That's the way to travel,...stuff the Pullmans. :D

Cheers.

Archived