Ground frame question

Can anyone shed a little light on the following?

Single track branchline with a small, two siding yard. The turnout into the yard is operated from a groundframe. A facing point lock is required and a catch point is in place.

Will the catch point be operated from the ground frame? Given the above - will the ground frame contain three levers or is there further requirements?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Guest stuartp

Usual 'it depends' caveat, but typically the trap point would be worked by the same lever as the main line points. Three levers - release, points, FPL. The release lever is unlocked by Annetts Key or the train staff, or electrically from the box, reversing that releases the other two levers. There might be another point lever for the second siding, but I'd suggest it would more likely be a hand lever in the yard.

There are plenty of variations though !

The catch would probably be connected to the same lever as the siding access switches hence two levers is fine.

Ground signals could also be used, one out, one in, (2 more levers) or hand signalling employed.

The Ground frame would be locked with the single line token. This could be in the form of a tray on the side of the frame if a tablet; or a lock mounted on a lever for the staff or key token. A seperate lever may be used with the lock to release the frame or the facing point lock lever may be used..

Pete

The catch would probably be connected to the same lever as the siding access switches hence two levers is fine.

Ground signals could also be used, one out, one in, (2 more levers) or hand signalling employed.

The Ground frame would be locked with the single line token. This could be in the form of a tray on the side of the frame if a tablet; or a lock mounted on a lever for the staff or key token. A seperate lever may be used with the lock to release the frame or the facing point lock lever may be used..

Pete

As described, the simplest , a 2 lever set up . Lever 1 unlocked by the key token allows the FPLs to be withdrawn, lever 2 works the points into the yard and the trap. Note, there was a FPL on the trap as well.

Blaenau Ffestiniog No. 1 Ground Frame (now gone)

A similar arrangment exists at No.2 Ground frame which has 3 levers, the points being No.2 and the trap No.3.

post-1625-0-95680800-1312278863_thumb.jpg

Merf.

The three frames on the Keith & Dufftown Railway have two levers each. Lever 1 is both the king lever and the facing point lock, released by the Annet's key on the One Engine In Steam train token.

Museum Ground Frame at Chappel & Wakes Colne has four, only three of which are in use. Lever 1 is the King lever, released by a local token that is released from a further 2-lever frame at Church Farm Level Crossing, near Marks Tey. Lever 2 is the facing point lock.

The up Engineers Siding at Shenfield had three levers, no.1 being the King lever, released electrically and no.2 the facing point lock. It isn't there any more.

So, "it depends".

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another two lever frame here John, I took these at Gloucester a short while ago.... it's used for shunting from the goods loop into the yard...

wink.gif

Apologies for resurecting an old post, but in the example quoted, Is the key withdrawn from the machine after " release" then put in the lever frame, or is the turning of the key followed by the "release" that unlocks the frame?

Regards

The 'release' enables the key to be removed from the Key Release Instrument (KRI). The key is then inserted into the lock attached to the lever-frame and turned to open that lock and thereby unlock the levers. The key can not be removed form the lock and returned to the KRI until the levers in the GF have been reset to normal.

The 'release' enables the key to be removed from the Key Release Instrument (KRI). The key is then inserted into the lock attached to the lever-frame and turned to open that lock and thereby unlock the levers. The key can not be removed form the lock and returned to the KRI until the levers in the GF have been reset to normal.

Many thanks. Does the electric release also give eome special indication to the remote signalmen?

Regards

Not usually AFAIK. In a mechanical signal-box then usually it was done by lever in the frame or a Key Control Instrument (KCI) on the instrument shelf . In either case, then once the release has been given the lever/KCI was reverse-locked until the key had been replaced in the KRI. If the release comes from a panel, then there may perhaps be a 'release given' indication light on the panel, but I'm not familiar with such an installation to say for certain.

• RMweb Gold

Gloucester would be to one of the standard WR design release circuits and the installation date suggests to me it would have been solely by a rotary switch on the panel - which is the case with GF release switches on Gloucester panel according to photos available on the 'net.  There are two indicator lights on such switches - one of them indicates if the release is locked by a route set through the points and if the points are fully detected their position will show on the panel (but they might not be fully detected in reverse when worked by ground frame).  The reverse position light should come up once the key has been withdrawn (or possibly when the release circuit has proved).

All the information about how the things work at the release instrument and ground frame is available in the pictures Rugd posted - the release instrument cabinet has labelling to show how the key is obtained and when it is locked or free and the lever leads on the actual ground frame show that Lever 1 is released by Key C (that will be a pattern C key) and that lever No.2 is released by Lever No1.   The releases work as back locks thus Lever No.1 cannot be replaced to normal while No.2 is standing reverse and the key cannot be withdrawn from the frame while Lever No.1 is standing reverse.

Gloucester would be to one of the standard WR design release circuits and the installation date suggests to me it would have been solely by a rotary switch on the panel - which is the case with GF release switches on Gloucester panel according to photos available on the 'net.  There are two indicator lights on such switches - one of them indicates if the release is locked by a route set through the points and if the points are fully detected their position will show on the panel (but they might not be fully detected in reverse when worked by ground frame).  The reverse position light should come up once the key has been withdrawn (or possibly when the release circuit has proved).

All the information about how the things work at the release instrument and ground frame is available in the pictures Rugd posted - the release instrument cabinet has labelling to show how the key is obtained and when it is locked or free and the lever leads on the actual ground frame show that Lever 1 is released by Key C (that will be a pattern C key) and that lever No.2 is released by Lever No1.   The releases work as back locks thus Lever No.1 cannot be replaced to normal while No.2 is standing reverse and the key cannot be withdrawn from the frame while Lever No.1 is standing reverse.

Thanks both.

I could not see anywhere on the images of the levers where the key went in, or identify the "lever leads". Am I looking in the wrong spot? This the question about the role of the key.

I could not see anywhere on the images of the levers where the key went in, or identify the "lever leads". Am I looking in the wrong spot? This the question about the role of the key.

The lever leads are in the second picture: they are the plaques attached to each lever which describe its function.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I was looking for some wires !

So do you actually take the key out of the machine and stick it into lever 1 somewhere?

Regards

There will be a lock 'somewhere' in which the key is inserted.  The interesting thing about the Gloucester frame is where that lock is located - it took some finding but is very obvious once you know what and where.  Look very carefully at teh top picture in Post No. 8 and if you look down on the near side of the staging you will see something painted bright blue, that is the Annett's Lock with the cover over the keyway closed.

Bingo. I thought the blue in the top pic in post 8 was a piece of rubbish. The other image at the foot of the lever helps (post 24). I guess I was expecting something on the lever itself like in post 5. .

Thanks all guys.

Regards

Archived