PROTOTYPE INFRASTRUCTURE

Don't really know how to describe this (is it a thread or just a collection of photo's to be added to by anyone). Here are some photo's of prototype infrastructure taken at Barnetby.

Hope they help someone

Alan

post-12183-0-79990500-1312476829_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-84454100-1312476998_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-04977200-1312477091_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-27876900-1312477200_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-17452400-1312477295_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-08101500-1312477397_thumb.jpg

OOPS!

Forgot to add descriptions.

1. Ground shunt signal controlling 2 sidings.

2. General 2 aspect tube post.

3. Rail made buffer stop in defunct siding.

4. Rail made buffer stop in defunct siding.

5. Rail made buffer stop in defunct siding.

6. Partially scrapped rail made buffer stop.

Alan

Sorry James, my mistake.

The distant has been disconnected for some time and only the home is working, this is at the end of the platform so in effect it is a starter i think.

Alan

Hi

Great idea for a thread, and the buffer stop pics will help me out indeed!

I did a run up the WCML near Bletchley to take pics of OHLE and Signal gangtries for a fellow forum member a short while back. I won't add the images here as there are some 158 of them, but they are in the gallery section here. Hopefully they can also be useful to anyone modelling this sort of equipment!

Regards

Lee :)

Don't really know how to describe this (is it a thread or just a collection of photo's to be added to by anyone). Here are some photo's of prototype infrastructure taken at Barnetby.

Hope they help someone

Alan

post-12183-0-79990500-1312476829_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-84454100-1312476998_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-04977200-1312477091_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-27876900-1312477200_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-17452400-1312477295_thumb.jpgpost-12183-0-08101500-1312477397_thumb.jpg

The shunt signal in the first photo is known as a permissive shunt. Trains are allowed to pass this in the 'ON' (danger) position provided the driver can see they're correctly set for the siding. The shunt is not allowed to be passed in the ON position if the points are set for the main line. Hence why the shunt disc is black and yellow.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

The shunt signal in the first photo is known as a permissive shunt. Trains are allowed to pass this in the 'ON' (danger) position provided the driver can see they're correctly set for the siding. The shunt is not allowed to be passed in the ON position if the points are set for the main line. Hence why the shunt disc is black and yellow.

True for this example but more correctly the signal can be passed in the "on" position for routes to which it does not apply.

• RMweb Gold

True for this example but more correctly the signal can be passed in the "on" position for routes to which it does not apply.

... and I've never before heard it referred to as a 'permissive shunt' (because that is what all red arm shunting discs are by virtue of the fact that they can give authority to enter an occupied signal section).

exhibiting my complete ignorance, the OP photo 2 has a white diamond plate, on the post, and for example the N gauge Ratio kit LMS home/distant signals have one of these with a T on it, I think meant to be used for the home version, and some other thing I cannot identify perhaps only used for the distant version, what do these plates mean?, in the OP photo it appears to be blank, so what else can they have on them?, do you only get them on LMS home signals?

thanks

Ian

• RMweb Gold

exhibiting my complete ignorance, the OP photo 2 has a white diamond plate, on the post, and for example the N gauge Ratio kit LMS home/distant signals have one of these with a T on it, I think meant to be used for the home version, and some other thing I cannot identify perhaps only used for the distant version, what do these plates mean?, in the OP photo it appears to be blank, so what else can they have on them?, do you only get them on LMS home signals?

thanks

Ian

The white diamond plate originally meant that the signal (and it would only be on a stop signal) was exempted from the normal provisions of Rule 55 (a member of the traincrew going to the signalbox immediately in the event of their train being detained at that signal and that different arrangement would apply meaning they should only go to teh signalbox in the event of their train being detained an unusually long time). The addition of the letter 'T' indicated there was a telephone at the signal which could be used instead of - eventually - going to the signalbox. These signs still apply

During the 1970s the white diamond plates were removed from most colour light signal in full m.a.s. signalled areas - I believe mainly in order to reduce delays - but they remained in use on semaphore signals and on colour lights where they effectively served similar functions to semaphore signals. The next step was in the 1990s when yellow diamonds with, I think, a letter 'X' appeared indicating to traincrew that they should not use the signalpost telephone due to clearance/safety issues. These plates have subsequently become white but still with an 'X' as illustrated below - the adjacent white plate shows the number to be contacted.

post-6859-0-70768400-1312886142_thumb.jpg

Thanks for an interesting group of photo's, especially the buffer stops, as i'm building some mikes models LNWR ones to fit on my layout. I'm also having a go at building some signals. so photo's like these are helpful for ideas ( tho not LNWR)

cheers

joe

Hi Joe

There will be some more photos when I can get out and about again, just had an op so can't drive for some time. The photos will be taken in Lincolnshire as there is still a wealth of upper quadrant signals around. The best place to look regarding signal construction is Jon Fitness's thread, I have printed it off and use it as my workbench manual.

Hope it helps you

Alan

The white diamond plate originally meant that the signal (and it would only be on a stop signal) was exempted from the normal provisions of Rule 55 (a member of the traincrew going to the signalbox immediately in the event of their train being detained at that signal and that different arrangement would apply meaning they should only go to teh signalbox in the event of their train being detained an unusually long time). The addition of the letter 'T' indicated there was a telephone at the signal which could be used instead of - eventually - going to the signalbox. These signs still apply

During the 1970s the white diamond plates were removed from most colour light signal in full m.a.s. signalled areas - I believe mainly in order to reduce delays - but they remained in use on semaphore signals and on colour lights where they effectively served similar functions to semaphore signals. The next step was in the 1990s when yellow diamonds with, I think, a letter 'X' appeared indicating to traincrew that they should not use the signalpost telephone due to clearance/safety issues. These plates have subsequently become white but still with an 'X' as illustrated below - the adjacent white plate shows the number to be contacted.

On the LMR (at least) the white diamond plate was removed from a signal when it was provided with a telephone link to the controlling signalbox. I was told the thinking behind this,was with the phone being there, the driver (or Secondman) could contact the Signalman immediately the train came to a stand at the signal (rather than waiting for a while before contacting the Signalman).

Getting signals provided with SPTs was not an easy process; it took the Local Departmental Committee (LDC) about 5 years, at least (including a census of trains stopped there), to get the management to provide one on Hooton's down starter which about 440yds away from the box. The SPT was eventually provided about 1980.

Obviously nobody is interested in posting their photo's of signals (if they have any) to the thread to help other modellers, it seems a waste of time carrying on with it.

webbo

• RMweb Gold

Obviously nobody is interested in posting their photo's of signals (if they have any) to the thread to help other modellers, it seems a waste of time carrying on with it.

webbo

I can't quite understand that comment in view of the number and diversity of photos of signals which some of us have already posted on here - frequently to illustrate or explain particular features of signalling and/or Company/Regional practice when answering queries. Presumably Beast and I (plus several others) have yet again been using not only invisible ink but also invisible pictures? I can fully appreciate that many of these pics are in other threads (where they are, of course, relevant to the subject under discussion) and they are in any case in my view best used in threads where there purpose etc is best explained in context - I somehow doubt my fully illustrated study of Regional differences in colour light signal number/ID plates would sit readily in a very generalised thread. I do admit to a slight scanning problem since converting to the Mac so very few of my signal pics (taken over 50 years and now way into four figures in total) are really suited to placing on the 'net although apart from those on here a few are, and long have been, on John Hinson's 'Signalbox' site.

Perhaps I should revive the idea which someone discussed with me at Members' Day and develop a 'signalling explanation' type of thing although Beast's earlier effort in that vein seemed not to be too widely studied. And, to be blunt, it's not much use posting photos of signals unless their use etc is properly explained - regrettably signalling is something of a 'black art' to many modellers and posting photos with inadequate (or - even worse - incorrect) notes can sometimes make things worse when they were perhaps intended to help.

webbo

I thought some of the pictures, questions and subsequent answers were quite informative? I've added a link to my reference pics of OHLE and the older gangtry signals. If anybody wants, I can go and photograph the brand new ones being installed on the WCML south of bletchley atm?!

Regards

Lee

webbo

Threads like this sometimes take a bit of time to gain momentum, so you're not neccessarily going to get detailed responses overnight, just be patient and those who feel able to contribute will do so at their own pace. I, like several others on here, have probably hundreds of photos of signals but loading them up and writing an informative caption (not always easy) to each one can take a lot of time. As Mike has said above, signalling is definitely a black art in many respects and needs explaining in a way that someone 'new' to it can easily understand.

Keep coming back to the thread that you started and I'll wager you'll not be disappointed ;) .

• RMweb Gold

I will shortly be posting some photos of brand new, not-yet-commissioned signals from the Cotswolds Redoubling project, but due to the nature of the subject, they will probably be in the Prototype sub-forum, to keep all the Cotswolds stuff together. I've just spent 3 days out and about on site in the current 2 week blockade and have a number of photos to post in due course.

Anyone modelling a signal beyond a low bridge may be interested in this 4 aspect ML head with routes. The red aspect is at the top due to the shorter post height, so from top - bottom reads red,top yellow,green,single yellow. Although short linespeed is 125mph past this signal. [attachment=118399:T866.jpg]

post-7305-0-90885800-1313178224_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Back in Sheffield I had a few moments and took the chance to take the signals at the up end of the station

Hmm more signal head renewals in evidence - the ever increasing march of standardisation and national uniformity so I'm glad my camera paid a visit some years ago (and at least they haven't changed the number platescool.gif to the current standard).

Some signalling / general infrastructure shots....;)

Oxford, north end of the Up platform, Bicester Bay on the right...

post-7638-0-86139600-1313321325_thumb.jpg

Oxford, looking south from the footbridge...

post-7638-0-53188100-1313321402_thumb.jpg

Oxford, looking south again, the Up gantry is the BR WR original with 'new' colour lights replacing the lower quadrant semaphores in 1973, and the low brick wall just to the left of it is what's left of theold GWR water tower...

post-7638-0-03856400-1313321477_thumb.jpg

Oxford Down Goods Loop, looking north with new LEDS...

post-7638-0-68277200-1313321594_thumb.jpg

Bescot Down Side and the fuelling point beside the shed...

post-7638-0-84927900-1313321692_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-46690600-1313321750_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-63148000-1313321871_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-95198300-1313321937_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-80093200-1313322004_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-64944200-1313322080_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-73456800-1313322155_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-72202600-1313322235_thumb.jpg

More to come.. Gloucester, Worcester and a few from mantle Lane (Coalville) ;)

Archived