Corus/ Tata Steel "Trojan" locos, Port Talbot

Hi all,

I have an idea to scratchbuild one of these modern industrials on a Kato shorty chassis in N gauge.

post-6899-0-47519600-1312732375_thumb.jpg

I've managed to get a rough idea on the size it'll be by comparing it alongside a 66 at Margam, and it should fit on the chassis, but other than that I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

They were built by Corus Northern Engineering Services at Scunthorpe, but their website now directs you to Tata steel's page, so at the moment I can't find any contacts that look suitable, with there appearing to be no direct replacement for the CNES site.

I'm wondering does anyone know any more about these locos? There seems to be very little on the web, other than the fact they're 1000hp 100t locos, which doesn't really help with modelling them!

I've got as far as throwing together a montage of the side, I don't know if anyone has seen any additional info, perhaps in industry magazines or similar?

post-6899-0-27528700-1312733015_thumb.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

jo

I think you'll find that it's an extensive rebuild of one of these;

http://www.flickr.co...own/5624609484/

Built in 1972 by Hunslet for use at Scunthorpe Steelworks, originally fitted with two Rolls Royce engines giving 1124 bhp. As built, length over buffers was 41'2", total wheelbase 29'8", bogie wheelbase 8'6" and wheel diameter 3'7". A1 Models used to do a kit of it, but only in 4mm I believe.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for that Fred, it's another option to consider!

In the meantime, based on the 8ft6 wheelbase and measuring and scaling many photos I've produced this

post-6899-0-91371100-1322775915_thumb.jpg

A quick guesstimate looks like it should fit onto a switcher chassis without too much stretching and adjusting

jo

Jo, that looks about right to me proportionally.

I remember seeing these on test at Scunthorpe, including the first one having to drag an 0-5-0 (yes 0-5-0!!!) Janus back to the works after an xle sheared! The are enormous machines, far bigger when you see them in the flesh too.

At the time of their construction they were the worst kept secret at Scunthorpe - it seemed that officially they didn't exist, yet there was a brand new frame for one stored outside one of the buiildings for a short while!

Hi James, thanks for that, its always the acid test when other people judge it!

The 0-5-0 moment sounds interesting, have you written it somewhere else before - I'm sure I've heard it before. It'd be an interesting one to model!

Your Scunthorpe blog was an interesting read, some helpful pics of another project (Janus), too

jo

• 3 weeks later...

I have mentioned the 0-5-0 before! Just a shame there are no photos, but somehow I don't think i'd have got away with that!

Jo, if you want any higher-res copies of the Scunthorpe photos, just let me know!

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Just came acros this forum whilst looking for info an the rebuild of 923.

The loco was on test at the Chasewater Railway nr Lichfield fom LH group who are re-engineering the batch of four.

It was there for about three to four weeks before a corporate presentation to potential customers for further new builds.

She was made available for an Industrial Railway Society visit with their members having the opportunity to have cab rides and even drive.

Unfortunately she left for South Wales yesterday I managed some photos and film of them loading her on to the lorry a four and a half hour task although the loco drove herself on in just a couple of minutes.

Although not strictly the model you're building, their might be some details of interest in the photos and video I took.

You can find these at

http://bobanderson.zenfolio.com/p125970173

and

Just come acros one of the IRS members posts with some great detail photos

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54611-trojan-is-reborn-again/

Good luck with your model it would have made a good exhibit at the Model Railway Exhibition in July if the loco had still been here.

Bob

I thought your railway were planning to send this engine instead to Port Talbot.

post-3665-0-02065200-1334269247_thumb.jpg

Well she'd only be going home again (almost).

Ruston Hornsby sent her new about 1969 to Batchelor, Robinson Metals of Llanelli where I think she spent her whole working life shunting wagon loads of tinplate for de-tinning.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

ever thought of asking LH (aka Hunslet) for details? They have had this one for a while but we couldn't say anything. It may just be they have now details of these.

• 2 years later...

Hello EWSJO

I worked as a mechanical design and project engineer on this project at Corus / Tata,

I actually worked on the the build and both the design of these 4 off locos at port talbot

the team was a small one so there wont be many people with my knowledge of the loco's

anyway If i can be of any help PM me and i will try to tell you what i know ( my knowledge isnt cheap tho :)   )

Cheers

dal

Archived