Chadwood

Rammy

Hi all

I thought it was time I transferred Chadwood across to the new forum. I have chosen to go for a layout topic as I just can't seem to get on with the blogs yet (Sorry Andy!). Maybe later!

Anyway, I have been working on Chadwood very slowly for over a year. As a total newbie to this hobby it has been a steep learning curve. Several things have changed as I have gone along, but the basic concept has remained the same.

Here is a quick summary in pictures of the progress so far:

100_3430.jpg

100_3366.jpg

100_3605.jpg

P1638_12-07-09.jpg

P1522_18-07-09.jpg

I have spent the last month out of the loft (due to the cold) and having serious thoughts about the way forward. I had become unhappy with how the layout was coming together and the long term "playability" of the finished layout. I have always intended to have a depot or something to give some operational interest, but also a "roundy-roundy" element where I can set a few trains going and sit back and watch. With the existing plan I was not sure how well these elements worked, especially the roundy-roundy as the circuits weren't that long.

As a result I have been playing around on Winrail and have come up with an alternative plan that does not affect the existing station area that I have spent most of my time building so far, but will allow trains to travel around both the upper and lower levels. I just need to check out the gradient to see if this will work in practice.

I am still not convinced that the depot area is quite right. I will need some sidings somewhere to drop off the wagons and store spare ones. Maybe the industrial estate will have to go, although I was really looking forward to modelling that area. If anyone has any ideas you could throw together for the depot / storage sidings it would be very much appreciated.

Here are the new plans (so far!) :

Loft2010lower.jpg

Lower level

Loft2010upper.jpg

Upper level

Any help / comments appreciated.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year all .... or maybe not for my layout!

I have just been up in the loft for the first time in a while to place the Hornby bus stop on the layout (xmas present from the wife). Whilst the bust stop looks good, I have discovered some large "blobs" have appeared on my scalescenes roads and platforms. I am guessing that these must be from some condensation forming on the roofing felt that has dripped down? I realise that I never sealed the printed paper with matt varnish. Would this have prevented the blobs?

I am now faced with a total remake of platform 2 and somehow patching in (or fully replacing) the roads. DOH!!

On top of all of this everything runs very poorly (or not at all). Lots of track cleaning and engine maintenance now required I think. Am I better to store the engines out of the loft?

Oh well ... all the fun of model railways I suppose. Here's a few pics I took whilst I was up there trying out my new camera :

DSCF1238.jpg

DSCF1244.jpg

DSCF1239.jpg

DSCF1241-1.jpg

Dave

Hi Dave,

Layout looks to be coming along nicely. Like yourself I am a total newbie and have never built a layout. When I first saw your photos I posted a reply but there were some problems with the site. I think I have a very similar loft to yours and wanted to ask you if you had any problems with temperature in the loft. When I went up there in December I experienced a lot of condensation (which it seems you have too now). In the summer the loft is too hot as well. All of this is not good for the track. To control the temperature I've read on various sites about insulating the loft including the roof. I'm in the process of purchasing the materials to prepare the loft so that I can eventually start on building a layout.

All the best.

I keep thinking about insulating the roof, but it seems an expensive job. I have also read it is important to maintain the air flow under the roof and I'm not entirely sure how to achieve this yet at a reasonable cost.

Nice Track Plan, what software did you use to produce that Track Layout...?

Nice photos and to see it slowly progress with interest...Keep it up dude!

Thanks Jamie.

The track plans were created with Winrail. I use the free demo version, but there are no apparent limits to the demo unlike some other software. Give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from an idea I had that I could disguise the blobs on the road into a roadworks scene, I have been playing around tonight and had a first attempt at scratchbuilding some roadwork barriers. I am quite pleased with them for a first attempt!

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

Lots more to make, but hopefully I'll get a bit neater as I go along. It certainly helped when I changed the blade for a sharper one!

Also managed to get all of the locos out of the loft, cleaned up the wheels and gave them a generally dusting and they all now run on a test track in the kitchen. This points to dirty track being the major cause of the poor running in the loft. I am considering replacing a lot of the very old, dirty track with some new Peco SL-102 flexi track if the budget will stretch to it.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get a few hours in the loft over the weekend to make a bit more progress with track laying and wiring. However I keep getting myself concerned about whether the track plan is right. I then spend ages just looking at the track in front of me and not getting anything done!

My concern is although I am now much happier with the 2 levels now being joined together to give a complete run around the upper and lower levels without intervention, I am concerned on how trains will be able to enter the depot area from both tracks. If a train manages to pull into the depot, can it leave a load of hoppers anywhere, and would it really be able to ever run on the opposite track? Then again does it really matter?

Also, where are the 170, pendolino, and other engines going to be stored when not in use?

As you see, there are more questions than answers due to me still really being a newbie despite nearly 2 years of building! I am just nervous of cracking on with the track laying and having to rip it up again because it's all wrong.

Any help / advise with improvements to the track plan would be very much appreciated guys! icon_cry.gif

Dave

P.S. A big "WELL DONE" to Andy & co for switching servers and getting the site back up & running. The amount of effort you put in to keep us lot happy is amazing.

• 2 months later...

I would love to find the time at the moment Andrew, but after an extended holiday in Spain due to the flight chaos follwoing the volcano and I am half way through installing my bathroom, so as you can imagine it's hard right now!

Fingers crossed I'll get up there again soon. Also its the Derby show in 2 weeks and that normally give me a bit of inspiration to crack on.

As soon as I get back up there, I'll give you an update.

Dave

Derby show in 2 weeks

:O :O :O :O :O

I won't be here for it! **** damn **** ******s i forgot about that! I am up in Scotland with the girlfriend next monday and then off to Crete on Tuesday for a week then back home on the 24th! How did i manage to miss that!! :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a couple of hours spare today to make a little progress in the loft. No photos, but basically got started on laying a bit of track and a few points around the bottom corner that will lead into the depot / storage area. I must admit that once I'd been back up there for a couple of hours I could have stayed all day and It really got me wanting to make progress again.

If I get up there again soon I'll take some photos, but I really need to get the bathroom finished first and then the World Cup will be starting so I'm not too sure when it will be!

I bought a couple of Bachmann DHL Intermodals from the Derby show, so I'm really keen to get the circuit completed so I can watch them go round.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I can't believe it's 2 months since my last update!

I have managed to spend a bit more time in the loft lately despite the heat. I have been trying to make some progress with the upper layer of the layout so I can hopefully join in up with the lower layer shortly and be able to just set some trains running around. I have also been relaying some of the problematic track to make sure it doesn't keep bugging me later on. Better to get it right now than rip it up later! I have also replaced all of the Hornby points with Peco ones and this has solved the problem with the derailing 66's. Been making a few purchases over the summer to increase the collection (DRS 66, DHL Intermodals, more intermodals on the way).

It probably doesn't look like 2 months work, but here are photos of the layout as it stands today:

The station end:

DSCF2867.jpg

The rear board which holds the inclines (which will become hidden) and in front will be the storage sidings (one day!):

DSCF2868.jpg

This side will be the depot / fuelling sidings:

DSCF2869.jpg

And here you side see the final side with 2 layers now installed and operational:

DSCF2870.jpg

I really must have a tidy up and sell some of the old stock!

I just hope I can keep up the momentum and keep the updates a bit more regular now.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Shaping up nicely, and I can believe it's two months work!

I wish it was just 2 months work! It was 2 months since my last update.:lol:

I have made a little more progress with the completion of the 2 loops ... YIPPEE !!!:D

Spent a couple of hours last night trying to iron out some of the problematic track that causes certain trains to derail. Seems to be a couple of areas (both setrack and flexi) which are causing problems along with some problematic locos. Still, I suppose it's better to get rid of these problems now. It was great to be able to just let a couple of trains loop around last night though whilst thiking how gto solve these problems.

Hopefully post some more pics and maybe even my first video soon.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have spent the last few nights working on a couple of purchases from Ten Commandments. At a show earlier this year I bought some benches for the station and the Station Detailing Pack which includes information boards and Pay & Display signs, meters, etc. I've also sprayed black some fencing I bought ages ago (yet to be fitted permanently) I'm pretty pleased with the results:

Pay & Display installed - a money earner for the Council!

DSCF3295.jpg

Information boards installed

DSCF3301.jpg

Seating added on the platforms

DSCF3297.jpg

The view from Platform 1 as 66610 passes by with containers:

DSCF3302.jpg

Dave

I have now turned my attention to the board opposite the station area. Tis will become the depot / fuelling point. The area is 200 x 45cm and I have been trying to work out the best layout for this. The point in the top right is fairly fixed as this comes from the loops circling the layout. Everything else is still movable. This is what I have thought of so far:

depotarea-1.jpg

Any comments or alternative ideas would be appreciated before I fix it in place.

Thanks

Dave

• 3 months later...

Happy New Year everyone!

Well the weather is finally starting to warm up, so I managed to sneek a couple of hours up in the loft last week under the guise of putting the xmas decs back up there!

Whilst I was up there I managed to give the Dapol Track Cleaner (xmas present from SWMBO) a run around, only to find it is a bit fat and hits my nearest platform (poor track laying by me!). Should b easily fixed though. Been out this weekend and got a 8 x 4 ft sheet of 6mm mdf for a small job in the house, so the rest has been cut by b&q ready to be used as the backscenes. Not sure if I will just paint them a blue & white blend or buy an off the shelf one to stick on. There are some great ones out there now.

I promise to try and get more time up in the loft now and get some progress made and a few updates posted.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quite constructive weekend for a change. Managed to get a Knightwing Fuelling point and 2 Knightwing forklifts finished. The will make the usual trip to my brother's for painting. I have also got the fencing on the second platform glued into place. Whilst I was working on that I also decided to make some platform signs using the Scalescenes R001a Station Signs and some wooden coffee stirrers, cut down and sprayed matt black!

Although this sounds rather insignificant compared to some of the progress that get mades on some threads on here, I am actually quite pleased that I got something done for a change.

Finally, I manage a couple of hours in the loft tonight to have a look at what needs doing and I got to run a few trains around for a while. Well, that was after I managed to get them all started again after the cold winter spent in the loft.

Anyway, here is the very first video from Chadwood. I hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkRnPH4YUxQ

Dave

Archived