YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

Guest Tom F

Fair enough Tom, thanks for the explanation.

Pleasure Simon :)

I'm just looking forward to what the layout will look like in a months time. Fiddle yard fully operational, Yard lights and more additions to come.... ;)

But I must be honest Tom, I'm not sure about the tender frames. They look too uniform and reddish to me. I say this with the thought in mind that 61107 can only have been a few years old, maybe 5 or 6 by 1949/50 at the most?

Looking at even early colour photos it looks pretty good to me! Brake dust is a very reddish colour - it gets toned down by other things but in dry weather especially the 'reddish-ness' it more pronounced.

Even though the loco would be relatively new, you have to remember how filthy the railway is. If you'd worked on the railway, even now, you'd appreciate just how dirty it is. So a few hard turns without a good clean a loco would be appear very dirty, although a good clean would make a world of difference!

Guest Tom F

Morning all!

As a final part to covering the weathering of 61107 in this thread, I thought I would take some proper comparison photos of her with 61084, my other B1. 61084 being a few weeks out of works and 61107 about ready to go in for attention (first time in nearly 2 years!)

post-6764-0-01717300-1341831242_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-72348300-1341831248_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-80762400-1341831254_thumb.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the tender comparison, it shows both off quite nicely and I'm also happy with the streaking down the front of 61107's smoke box door. The Hornby B1 really is one of the finest (if not the finest) RTR loco in my collection. All we need now is an apple green one....... ;)

Guest Tom F

Afternoon all!

I've made the second video showing the progress on Leaman Road. Granted it's things that I've already documented on here such as new locos and weathering the buildings, but I figured some of you would enjoy seeing the engines in motion once more. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omubq_B71bo&list=UUlzxRwIhElTwZ9ayjgk8--A&index=0&feature=plcp

Next month is where the real fun begins with the layout! :lol:

Guest Tom F

As I mentioned the other week. I had received results from a CT scan showing what appeared to be a aneurysm. Obviously I have been concerned about this and have been awaiting my next appointment at the hospital. I've just got back from James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough.

I was met by several consultants, with the last CT Scan taken 6 weeks ago. The CT scan wasn't very clear so wished to take another one, plus some bood tests as the aneurysm is close to the pituitary gland. Their thoughts are that the aneurysm may be effecting this...which could account somewhere towards my weight possibly.

When I asked about the seriousness, it was more a case of them wanting to monitor and see if anything may need doing in the future. As they said (and I thought) if it had been very serious I would have been back in hospital straight after the first CT Scan...not 7 weeks later.

Feeling a lot better about the whole thing, and best plan of action is not to worry and enjoy life.

The most painful part was them not being able to find a vein to take blood so have a number of puncture wounds! :vava_mini:

I do feel I can relax a lot more and I'm now looking forward to tomorrow and visting Gilbert's Peterborough North for some rest and :senile: if he lets me! :man_in_love_mini:

Guest Tom F

Good to hear Tom. :)

Thanks Simon

I'm now just looking forward to the drive down to Gilbert's and just standing back and watching the trains go by. :)

Some of you may remember I mentioned I had been offered a rather nice kit built locomotive. This loco is now finished, and as it was dispatched yesterday plus Tim is weathering her up, and he is working at Gilbert's, I have had it posted to Gilbert's so some photos of it running on Peterborough North will hopefully follow.

My concern is when talking to Gilbert last night on the phone....he seemed to be suggesting that he will be holding it to ransom. :O :shout:

And here is Tom's new toy, basking in some surprise sunshine on Peterborough North. New England must have nicked it somehow.... ;)

post-6712-0-95881900-1342691674_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-77752000-1342691699_thumb.jpg

It later benefitted from a spot of judicious weathering as I had some paint left in the cup after doing Gilbert's O4/8 and third A1. It does look rather nice indeed, even if I do say so myself. I'll leave Tom to explain the next bit!

Hello Mike,

Of course! It's the new PDK kit. Tom was lucky enough to get the first one made (I believe the test build). It's an absolutely gorgeous model and beautifully finished off too. It helps too that the prototype is a very handsome looking machine indeed. I've always liked the majority of Raven's locos myself. Such a shame Tom can't have a C7.....

Cheers,

Hello Mike,

Of course! It's the new PDK kit. Tom was lucky enough to get the first one made (I believe the test build). It's an absolutely gorgeous model and beautifully finished off too. It helps too that the prototype is a very handsome looking machine indeed. I've always liked the majority of Raven's locos myself. Such a shame Tom can't have a C7.....

Cheers,

Tim,

That does look beautiful - can you say, did you build it? - and yes, they were very handsome things indeed. I'm in the same boat as Tom re the C7 as my layout is also set in mid 1950. That said, I think I might know of someone who has the intention of producing at least one of the NER Atlantics, Class V or Z (C6 or C7) and that will just be too much to resist. Arthur's upcoming B15 will fall into the same category; irresistible.

The Hull sheds (Dairycoates, Botanic Gardens and Springhead) may find they were host to all sorts of pre-grouping 'relics' thought to have been extinct by 1950 but, magically, where examples of these relics were found lurking in their innermost recesses. Dare I say, some of those old ex-GC 4-4-2's and 4-6-0's also have a certain appeal.

Just too many locomotive types; far cry from today's railway scene.

Cheers

Mike

Decided to process this third view of 61477. To get to this spot, you need to be small, agile, flexible and vigilant. There is a very fine bracket signal right above me which has the distant arm overhanging the baseboard edge..... Nonetheless, this view really shows off the fine, long lines of Raven's last 4-6-0 design to a tee.

post-6712-0-95550800-1342706206_thumb.jpg

All you need now is a B16/2 - get me coat!!. Looks very nice indeed

Indeed, but there's one of those on the horizon too, as Tom will mention.... ;)

EDIT: photo correctly cropped and straightened.... :scratchhead:

Guest Tom F

I'm currently out and about so will do a proper reply when I get back home, answering questions brought up already such as how I came across the kit build, B16/2s, and how it nearly ended up in the duck pond!!! :O ;)

• RMweb Premium

That's one very handsome machine Tom. Don't think I ever 'knowingly' saw a B16; pity. Absolutely no excuse to get one of those and anyhow, if I did, it would sit in a box for years before becoming part of my 'estate' I expect.

Phil @36E

Tim,

That does look beautiful - can you say, did you build it? - and yes, they were very handsome things indeed. I'm in the same boat as Tom re the C7 as my layout is also set in mid 1950. That said, I think I might know of someone who has the intention of producing at least one of the NER Atlantics, Class V or Z (C6 or C7) and that will just be too much to resist. Arthur's upcoming B15 will fall into the same category; irresistible.

I'm afraid I cannot claim to have done anything other than weather her Mike, much as I'd love to! I've been busy enough with getting an equally fine machine built, not to mention a trio of A1s finished. I occasionally have to pop up for a gulp of air! :D

I wonder if I can persuade Tom to have a "might have been" and retain a C7 or even a B15 for just long enough into 1950.... It might be very hard to do though, sadly!

Handsome is as handsome does. Very nice model that.

I cannot argue with that at all! I very nearly did NER myself when I was much younger, but got poached by the London Midland instead.....

Decided to process this third view of 61477.

Indeed, but there's one of those on the horizon too, as Tom will mention.... ;)

Tim,

According to the 1950 Shed Allocation Book, York had forty seven of the sixty nine B16's allocated to it - Neville Hill had the other twenty two (one was destroyed in a bombing raid on York during the war) - so you might have to build a few more to represent 50A as it was in 1950.

Right, having offered that encouragement, I'll get me coat.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Tom F

Tim,

That does look beautiful - can you say, did you build it?

Hi Mike! Now I'm home I can give some clarification over how this B16 has found itself onto Leaman Road.

As most of you know, PDK brought out their B16/2 and 3 kit last year and I had been enquiring about when their B16/1 would be ready. Paul at PDK sent me an email two weeks ago showing said locomotive. She is the test build and her brass outlines can be seen on the PDK website. The kit is planned to go on sale around October time.

Overjoyed is the word I think. It has a superb finish and if I'm brutally honest, it is a better build and finish than the one built for me last month. At a fraction of the price too!

Here are some photos of her on Leaman Road.

Here we see her alongside her sister loco 61454 which is a Part 3 loco. It certainly altered the graceful lines of these locos once they had been rebuilt, but did give them a rather brutish yet powerful look.

post-6764-0-85511800-1342709920_thumb.jpg

Alongside a B1....clearly a family resemblance don't you think? ;)

post-6764-0-62946200-1342709834_thumb.jpg

All you need now is a B16/2 - get me coat!!. Looks very nice indeed

Check this thread again in several months! :mosking:

You know, I've been wanting to see a comparison shot of a B16/1 alongside a B1 for ages and I can see why...... You can see the family resemblance immediately. All you need is taller running plates on the B16 and they're near as dammit identical. However, that's not too dissimilar to what Gresley and Thompson did anyway!

You know, I've been wanting to see a comparison shot of a B16/1 alongside a B1 for ages and I can see why...... You can see the family resemblance immediately. All you need is taller running plates on the B16 and they're near as dammit identical. However, that's not too dissimilar to what Gresley and Thompson did anyway!

On another thread, someone pointed out that I had misspelt Tennant; as in the locomotive class. They pointed me at a site which contained the biographies of the CME's of the various pre and post grouping railways, including Henry Tennant.

Fascinated by this site, I read some of the biographies of the CME's including those of Sir Vincent Raven and his son-in-law - Edward Thompson; a fact I certainly didn't know.

So the comment above 'You can see the family resemblance....'; very true.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Tom F

On another thread, someone pointed out that I had misspelt Tennant; as in the locomotive class. They pointed me at a site which contained the biographies of the CME's of the various pre and post grouping railways, including Henry Tennant.

Fascinated by this site, I read some of the biographies of the CME's including those of Sir Vincent Raven and his son-in-law - Edward Thompson; a fact I certainly didn't know.

So the comment above 'You can see the family resemblance....'; very true.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike. I knew of the family connection between Thompson and Raven, whether this is what led to the connection in locomotive design I do not know. I need to get the Oakwood Press book on Raven. I have the Peter Grafton one on Thompson which I've always thought is a good read. Off to the North Yorkshire Coast for a break next week so might take the Grafton book for some light reading!

Archived