MARC Models 975025 "Caroline"

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The door bumpers are already on - soldered in place awhile back. Some of the doors are inward opening, so no visible hinge or bumper.

Motive power will probably be one of Newton-le-Willows finest......

Fresh from the spraybooth with soft paint - needs atiny bit of edge fettling, but giving it a chance to harden properly before varnish and other detail...

post-408-0-58444000-1327160496_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Yet more 'wow'. Thats proper modelling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

MMMM very nice Mick will it be ready for Stafford?

Pete

Barring disasters - yes.

Cheers,

Mick

Unfortunately, Caroline won't be finished for Stafford - the disaster was lack of time, nothing else.

Derby in May for the debut.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Derby didn't happen due to issues when test running Caroline on Blackmill - we have a couple of tight platform clearances due to "manufacturing error".......... It didn't make sense to rush to complete her to only run it on a couple of tracks, with the possibility that an unthinking operator could run it down a line where it couldn't go.

Anyway, (I think) I've managed to solve the problems earlier this evening, so she will be revisiting my workbench very soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

The platform clearance issues were caused by the original build of the platforms (the builder of the platforms is the same man that has constructed a very major structure for a certain layout based upon a terminus station at a city located at the mouth of the River Mersey.........)

With a bit of fettling of the platform sides and narrowing of the footboards, which i think are a tad wide anyway, I think it's sorted.

So Caroline is now back in favour and tonight has seen the build of a dozen armchairs, 5 tables and the addition of a couple of extra underframe details.

Pics soon.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Should not the platform clerances of been checked by the P Way crew before opperations began Mick? LOL

Pete

Yep! A couple of items are "close" and the edges were trimmed to suit, but Caroline is wider across the footboards than any other item of stock. It shouldn't be, but it is.

The moral of the story is - don't let Les Green near wood and plastic, but he's good with brass!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The interior furniture takes shape. The armchairs are supplied as part of the kit - from a US source originally. A bit of cleaning up of the moulding flash and painting is next

post-408-0-04765000-1338917413_thumb.jpg

Tables are being fabricated from styrene sheet.

post-408-0-91107800-1338917430_thumb.jpg

The LED's have been assembled and test fitted.

post-408-0-45995800-1338917447_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-50019000-1338917465_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-04625800-1338917483_thumb.jpg

I'm only fitting working lights at one end as Caroline is only destined to work in push-pull mode with a DRS 37 or 47.

They are powered via a DCC decoder mounted in the roof space - the veroboard strip holds the resistors for the lights.

post-408-0-44047600-1338917502_thumb.jpg

The white markers need dimming - with a larger resistor or maybe a thin wash of something opaque on the LED.

Then the wiring will be tidied up inside the cab pillars and then the drivers desk added later.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

Neat installation Mick. I wish more modellers would choose the right colour of LEDs for their head and marker lights, as you have done! :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Neat installation Mick. I wish more modellers would choose the right colour of LEDs for their head and marker lights, as you have done! :)

Hi Will, well observed!

I think I've got it looking as I want it. Extra resistance for the LED style markers and an overall dimming of the output from the decoder with CV tweaking.

For info - I used bright white LED's for the markers and warm white for the main headlight.

Very visible in this pic

http://www.flickr.co...ase/7105812943/

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Playing with decoder function settings tonight so that the loco (37423) and Caroline work "as one".

37423 as built and DCC fitted with a ESU v3.5 Loksound, had directional headlights and function key switched taillights via F7/F8.

Caroline simply had directional head/tail lights at one end only, controlled via a Lenz LF100XF.

For use on Blackmill, the consist will simply be reversed and propel one way/pull the other from fiddle yard to fiddle yard. (This makes it easy for the less DCC-savvy that may be operating ;) )

Once they were set to the same address - in this case 7423 - the lights on 423 and Caz were in opposite directions. No matter how I tried, with dummy motor loads etc, I couldn't get CV29 to change within Caz, so 423's CV29 was altered by plus 1 to change it's direction (from CV29 = 38 to CV29 = 39).

I then wanted the headlights at the end of 423 attached to Caz to be isolated at all times and the tail lights at the other end to be direction controlled. (It didn't matter if F7/F8 still controlled the tail lights, as these would not normally be used). I didn't have access to my Lokprogrammer at this time, which would be simply a case of ticking boxes.

It can get is very complicated in the ESU manual, trying to understand the CV129-CV236 range, but I'm lucky that I've had it explained to me by Brian at Howes. Basically you can get any output/sound to operate from any function key and it is directionally configurable. For example - I have a pair of 37's that top n tail either a RHTT or test train and the horns will only operate from the leading loco with the same F key.

After all the preamble above, it turned out to be a simple fix in the end. CV144 (assignment of function button headlight reverse A) is now set to 4, (the default setting is 2 - backup lights) which means that Aux 1 is now controlled as a directional head/taillight, instead of the usual headlight output.

As long as nobody presses F7/F8, then all will be good. If there are problems in the future, then CV's 183/186/189/192 will all be set to 0.

I've previously done similar light/output configuration by messing about with the hard wiring, but the above is all done via programming and is easily altered later without resorting to the soldering iron. I have saved the original CV configuration of 37423 via my Lok programmer and will be doing the same later as a revision A, when I next fire it up.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Work and other stuff has slowed progress, but it's nearly there.

I've virtually completed the last major component - the driver's desks. Built from plasticard with the etched control panel from the kit.

They are different on the underside as one of them is a simple fit in the cab, the other has to accomodate the LED's for the marker/headlights.

post-408-0-14642100-1340881027_thumb.jpg

All the tables and chairs are complete and painted, so it's on with the internal fitting out.

Now to paint haf a dozen figures to fill it - must make sure there's a couple of mugs of tea on the tables!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Just stumbled across this, Mick - Depending on the time of day I recommend the sausage and bacon sandwiches, or the chicken nuggets...

I was lucky enough to have a couple of trips on Caroline - I even gave a TV interview in front of her, when Kettering - Harrowden 3-tracking re-opened! I do have the odd interior picture of her laid up for service, if it helps.

A 2mm version would be nice...

• RMweb Premium

Just stumbled across this, Mick - Depending on the time of day I recommend the sausage and bacon sandwiches, or the chicken nuggets...

I was lucky enough to have a couple of trips on Caroline - I even gave a TV interview in front of her, when Kettering - Harrowden 3-tracking re-opened! I do have the odd interior picture of her laid up for service, if it helps.

A 2mm version would be nice...

PM sent!

Cheers,

Mick

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi N gauge version done as a Shapeway moulding and Worsley Works has a 3mm etch available- which makes up well and using a Triang TT roof loos the part - albeit in bare brass and not yet finished, love the other woman in the pics above 

Thanks

Robert

Caroline was up here in Scotland today on a run up to Oban, hauled by DRS 37419

Saw it twice on its return to south to Motherwell TMD- at Arrochar and Tarbet where I got some snaps and then chased it down the road to Bowling Harbour.  Nice friendly driver who gave me a toot and a friendly wave as he thundered past me at Bowling Harbour- thank you sir!  

Been following this topic for a while, have my Britannia Pacific saloon, and while liking it very much, the Marc one is more detailed and now pondering when I will "upgrade".. 

post-9046-0-35635900-1374705937_thumb.jpg

• Like 2