Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Will hell freeze over before anyone does a Bullied Leader Class?

mattog

There were murmurs of a commission a couple of years ago but that seems to have gone dead. What with Hattons, Rails, Kernows and others commissioning their own models, do you think any of them will ever see it in their hearts to do this somewhat obscure but none-the-less significant part of British railway history? Anyone?

Edited by Mod6
Photo removed - copyright

I think the biggest problem with an RTR Leader is that the original never ran in revenue service, unlike the other prototypes and early developments which have been/are being produced - including of course the Bulleid diesels. So there's little in the way of 'public memory' of them. Even 10800 and the Fell had some runs in real traffic. And outside our little world, and even sometimes inside it, it's not well known about. On more than one occasion I've heard viewers question the strange loco on Muz's Fisherton Sarum - "what's that?"

Having said that, nothing would surprise me. People can commission what they want. Would I buy one if it was available? Probably, yes ...

• Like 1

I hope not - no offence - because if this sees the light of day then The Fell stands a chance. And at that point I lose the will to live.

I'm with you with regards to the Fell but surely you're not lumping the Leader in with that ugly monster? I understand some Bullied's can be an acquired taste i.e: the Q1 but surely you agree the Leader has it charms? In fact, it's not far off a class 59/66 which I regard as one of the more interesting modern locomotives.

• RMweb Gold

Okay, let me rephrase that, will anyone ever do a RTR commission with Heljan, Dapol or Bachmann?

Point taken, although Chris at Golden Arrow does offer this loco as RTR - £295 according to his website - Not a Hattons/Rails/Olivias commission granted

• Like 1

I'm with you with regards to the Fell but surely you're not lumping the Leader in with that ugly monster? I understand some Bullied's can be an acquired taste i.e: the Q1 but surely you agree the Leader has it charms? In fact, it's not far off a class 59/66 which I regard as one of the more interesting modern locomotives.

Indeed I am not lumping it in with that ugly monster. I'm glad someone else got off the fence and that epithet off their chest! Leader like the Q1 does indeed have a certain charm.

However, I fear you may be in a minority where the 66 is regarded as one of the more interesting modern locomotives - depending how we're defining interesting, of course!

Meanwhile, here's something that makes me go wrong:

2390424_af286c25.jpg

Copyright Ben Brooksbank, used in accordance with the following CC license

http://creativecommo...nses/by-sa/2.0/

Is it pretty? Of course it isn't, it's ungainly and preposterous, the love child of miscegenation between Mervyn Peake and William S. Burroughs.

(interbreeding involving C.M.E.s of different species, especially in historical contexts as a transgression of the law)

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One of the Leader's lesser charms was the fact that it didn't work well enough to ever enter service, hardly an encouraging sign for a broader market than that currently met by Golden Arrow.

Dapol were approached by Locomotion Models to place a commissioned order, but I believe it did not attract enough orders or expressions of interest. Locomotion do have a website and perhaps you should be contacting them to see what the current situation is.

A Fell would also be very interesting, at least it saw service, unlike the Leader Class, but with all these more unusual types, it is governed entirely by demand.

Stephen.

One of the Leader's lesser charms was the fact that it didn't work well enough to ever enter service, hardly an encouraging sign for a broader market than that currently met by Golden Arrow.

Then perhaps it could be a stationary model or supplied in bits as was its fate for much of its life. A DCC controlled burning fireman might be a nice touch too. As a side note, does anyone know what became of the shed plates and other bits? Same place those of the Blue Pullman went?

In a dungeon somewhere near Wirksworth, a fellow in a blacksmith's apron and gasmask is attempting to regrow The Fell from a length of its perished windscreen grommet. I fear this to be a fact.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In a dungeon somewhere near Wirksworth, a fellow in a blacksmith's apron and gasmask is attempting to regrow The Fell from a length of its perished windscreen grommet. I fear this to be a fact.

Ooh - I'm at Wirksworth at the weekend with Summat Colliery, I'll see how he's getting on ;)

I'd counsel against it.

Now, in the same way that I use cloves of garlic to ward off fans of Drum & Bass, here's a little (crosses fingers) Fell antidote with about as much chance as Leader of appearing RTR:

(Wikipedia Creative Commons license applies)

800px-Hither_Green_Locomotive_Depot_geograph-2396523-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

• Like 2

The depressing truth is that so many more worthy prototypes are ignored in favour of singletons. How many more of these will receive frothing support whilst 2-Bils, Stanier Moguls, J15's will never feature in anyone's RTR list?

Tim

• Like 7

Easy!

Because such things were common, they were taken for granted - fact of human nature!

Whereas things like Leader, Fell, Kestrel, Deltic etc, etc by virtue of being unique, rare and unusual, well they tend to garner a certain mystique all of their own and subsequently people grow fond of them and desire a model.

OR, of course - in the case of the truly ugly - well we can pray they never appear!

John E.

• Like 1

As an aside, a chap I used to know once scratch-built an 0 scale model of 'Leader' and a fine looking thing it was! Apparently he had worked on the real thing.

Anyway, at a local exhibition, 'Leader' was parked up on a siding and a 'spotty yoof' was looking at it and remarked "Oh look - a class 36 diesel"!!!

A nearby club member tried in vane to correct him but the kid went away muttering about the diesel 36001 - wonderful!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1