Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Will hell freeze over before anyone does a Bullied Leader Class?

mattog

A very distant horizon I think you will find that announcement is at least two years old!

My understanding is that it's not likely to happen as there's been no further movement from the retailer.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Confusing as to which of now two topics to post this, but since this was posted here:

Another forum had news of the project still going ahead, can't remember the details though. Maybe the Dapol guys have some further information?

The topic here from the beginning, the most recent 'news' from early November '11:

...Yes there is news and for once it is good! Although I had to close my shop in Peacehaven nr Brighton (hence the interest in the Leader) in June the original team have still been working on this project. I have been told that a new website is imminent for this project and that Dapol have now located enough engineering drawings & diagrams to make a sufficiently accurate model. Madkitten is still involved and her high standards of modelling are known by some on this forum, although she and her partner have been distracted by a major 12" to the foot Hovercraft business which has delayed things and means that they havn't been on this forum. I have been promised that letters will be sent out very soon to all those who have expressed interest...

I think it's creditable for their effort in trying to get something going, but I do think it's a big ask to do it this way, interesting nonetheless that the bit highlighted by me could mean a Dapol item if they saw a market for it - one in N for me please B)

Regards, Gerry.

I do wonder where Dapol stand on this, they had a commissioner for the model and Dapol have/had drawings. How long before Dapol would be free to progress off their own back without involvement from the commissioning partner.

I.e. if someone has requested a commission are Dapol barred from proceeding on their own? It would be like having an interview, sharing your ideas and then not getting the job but the company still use all your ideas.

Not quite. Been involved in a similar situation, proposed project between two partnering companies, the partner initiating the concept. Then came the late eighties downturn (there is no new thing under the sun) , and the partner company said they could not proceed so the idea was shelved. About four years later the market had recovered and we revived the idea, but the original partner was in no position to go ahead. So we told them that we wished to proceed since some investment had been made, and got on with it. They bitched when one of their rivals took up part of the resulting product, but hey they had their chance and didn't take it. As I understood the lawyer's advice, the work we had already done justified our getting on with it and obtaining pay back; since the original partner had been offered the chance to participate and declined it was fair. Never went to court, so presumably the original partner got similar advice...

• RMweb Gold

I am unware of what happend to it when he passed on, his photographs were given by his estate to the NRM (which is why they were availble for the Second book on the Leader by K.Robertson), maybe the NRM got the plate too if those dealing with his estatre even knew of its significance?

IIRC there's a 36001 front numberplate in a display case to the right of the big end doors just behind where the Q1 was standing when I last went a couple of months ago.

Surprised that there is a possibility of the Loconotion project still going ahead, I am dubious about supporting the finance of this project (seen as there has only been silence from Loconotion for about 2 years). Plus I finished my own (slightly adapted) Golden Arrow Kit.

The colour scheme is based on the only known colour images (when it was being repainted).

Below are some images of mine with the only logical driver - Santa

post-3486-0-67546100-1333737957.jpg

post-3486-0-71194000-1333737993_thumb.jpg

Tom

• Like 4

Hi chaps,

As the question has now been asked i think i can clarify things from my angle as Product Development Manager for Dapol.

1) I can confirm that on the subject of Leader designs and plans.............................we have none!

2) I have not, in my 5 years with the company, and to the best of my knowledge, been asked to quote, design or talk to anyone regarding this proposed project. (hence point 1)

3) I know both Joel and George before him have spoken to said parties (Joel on a courtesy visit to shops down south), however nothing has come of this contact.

If contact were made with me this week maybe, just maybe, i could hunt some plans/designs out, but development would take the best part of 12-15 months with manufacture at least 4-6 months after development was signed off on.

Hope this clarifies things as i know it.

cheers

Dave

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi chaps,

As the question has now been asked i think i can clarify things from my angle as Product Development Manager for Dapol.

1) I can confirm that on the subject of Leader designs and plans.............................we have none!

2) I have not, in my 5 years with the company, and to the best of my knowledge, been asked to quote, design or talk to anyone regarding this proposed project. (hence point 1)

3) I know both Joel and George before him have spoken to said parties (Joel on a courtesy visit to shops down south), however nothing has come of this contact.

If contact were made with me this week maybe, just maybe, i could hunt some plans/designs out, but development would take the best part of 12-15 months with manufacture at least 4-6 months after development was signed off on.

Hope this clarifies things as i know it.

cheers

Dave

So in theory if plans were found for the Fell.................is 18 months too long to wait........

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

I think a Fell loco would be great and I have a feeling, because of it's odd characteristics, that it might sell rather well. I'd buy one for sure. It's as though an 08 shunter was sandwiched in the middle of a class 40, thrown in a bag with a vat of Potcheen, mixed up and then voila!

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I realise this is going to perhaps be somewhat a little controversial, especially after reading several comments through out this thread, but I am going to say it any way and that is the fact that I quite like a model of the Fell, and I'd like to see an N Gauge version of it. I actually think it's a rather nice looking diesel.

I would also love to see a Leader Class model in the same scale (yes, and that's coming from a GWR enthusiast, considering the Leader was designed by Bulleid, of the Southern). I do have at least one prototype diesel in my collection of N gauge, which was at the time, a special commision I believe for the NRM in York. I can't begin to say how ecstatic I was to actually get one for my collection.

• RMweb Gold

GWR-Fanatic

I realise this is going to perhaps be somewhat a little controversial, especially after reading several comments through out this thread, but I am going to say it any way and that is the fact that I quite like a model of the Fell, and I'd like to see an N Gauge version of it. I actually think it's a rather nice looking diesel.

I would also love to see a Leader Class model in the same scale (yes, and that's coming from a GWR enthusiast, considering the Leader was designed by Bulleid, of the Southern). I do have at least one prototype diesel in my collection of N gauge, which was at the time, a special commision I believe for the NRM in York. I can't begin to say how ecstatic I was to actually get one for my collection.

But did Churchwood design these ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I was taught in the climatology element of Geography 'O' level all those years ago. The received opinion was that we were in an 'interstadial' period of an ongoing ice age, and based on the Milankovitch cycles and various other effects might well be imminently heading back into ice sheet advance over the Northern hemisphere. ( As such I look on any anthropomorphic warming as potentially a good thing. Can we do enough of it to stave off the return of glaciation? This is a fit with the Gaea hypothesis that life forms modify their environment to make it an optimal habitat.) Because re-glaciation would be a disaster for sure, especially as it will bury the majority of the railway system, including the Bulleid Leader number plate. (Back on subject...)