Industrial park switching district - wow.

CraigZ

So I was in Charlotte, North Carolina yesterday visiting a couple of customers. I drove down Lawson Road and noticed a nice little touch - a diamond allowing access across a spur into an industry. Pulled it up on Bing this morning, found it easily enough. Followed the track back into the industrial park and wow...what a riot of sidings, spurs, a wye with a diamond on one leg, and other stuff.

http://www.bing.com/...0NC&form=LMLTCC

In the picture on the original link the spur that kicksback over the diamond goes right through the long building at right angles. In the original on the far side of the building in the yard there is what looks like a loaded centre beam and if you rotate there is what could be an empty bulk head flat car. Anyway the point is this could make the ultimate in prototypical micro layouts with a single track emerging from a staging area in a building!

... and the good people of the UK moan about so many lorries on the roads, and ask "Why doesn't more freight go on the trains?".....

'Cos we ain't got anything like this sort of rail-served complex anywhere, that's why..... :mad:

Why don't we? How does wagonload work in the US, but not in the UK?

So I was in Charlotte, North Carolina yesterday visiting a couple of customers. I drove down Lawson Road and noticed a nice little touch - a diamond allowing access across a spur into an industry. Pulled it up on Bing this morning, found it easily enough. Followed the track back into the industrial park and wow...what a riot of sidings, spurs, a wye with a diamond on one leg, and other stuff.

http://www.bing.com/...0NC&form=LMLTCC

Dear Craig,

Any idea if this is switched by CSX, a "switching contractor", or by individual industries running theor own switchers/Trackmobiles?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Anyway the point is this could make the ultimate in prototypical micro layouts with a single track emerging from a staging area in a building!

Logically you could have the building rear as the backscene, trucks and assorted bits and pieces in the "Yard", and a multi track traverser "inside" the building, You could then use a single coupling trackmobile, and move an assorted variety of cars in and out of the building. A magnet on each track at the rear of the trraverser, and a very short piece of track at the far end of the traverser, would take care of the uncoupling and allow the trackmobile to change tracks. A micro layout for trackmobile operations - Carl would have loved it!

I must be looking at something different. I only see 4 rail served industries and one, maybe two are active. I can't find a wye, although there is one diamond into an industry. The nearest "wye" I could find is going east it looks like there could have been one about 30-40 years ago at a spot just before you reach the NS yard, but its all overgrown with weeds and developed over.

I must be looking at something different. I only see 4 rail served industries and one, maybe two are active.

You have follow some of the lines for a while, follow the track heading NE until you get to a fan of tracks/sidings and follow each track there's atleast half a dozen that appear active. Including a cocacola warehouse (look at all the red trcuks) .

Would there be something flamable/explosive in these tank cars for them to be out all on their own? http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pwbmkq87tfb9&lvl=19.17741941006534&dir=357.35566240147585&sty=b&eo=1&where1=Charlotte%2C%20NC&form=LMLTCC

I must be looking at something different. I only see 4 rail served industries and one, maybe two are active.

Not sure what you're looking at Dave!

You should link at the start to an industry near the junction of Lawton Rd and Rozzelles Ferry Rd, accessed via a kickback off a spur via a diamond and through a warehouse - there's a bulkhead flat on site. (1 active)

Follow the route NW and there's two warehouses, neither seems to have any freightcars there. There's also a gap between some older buildings which suggests there used to be another spur there.

Go back to the start, now go NE along Lawton Rd - the route does a little wiggle through the woods and then the tracks suddenly go everywhere.

Starting from the left-most one there are a couple of spurs that reverse off, one to an interesting looking plant, neither with any cars - a big warehouse on the left with boxcars and centerbeams (2) and the right hand one appears to have loads of corn syrup tanks outside and coca cola liveried trucks outside - a bottling plant? (3)

Going back to the woods and take the second track - a spur along a warehouse with lots of boxcars (4)

The next couple of tracks seem to be a runround or storage tracks, more boxcars sat here, this is next to the wye with the two diamonds. Follow that forward across Chesapeake Dr and straight ahead looks like a sand or cement silo with 2 bay covhops (5) - an industry beyond that has no cars. Just before the silo's a line went off to the right to a couple of warehouses and one of them has plastic pellet hoppers (6)

Going back to the wye - on the right is a huge transload facility (7) - lots of tracks of chemical tank cars plus one of covered hoppers with augers.

There's a couple of other warehouses beyond that, and there's tank cars on the spurs for those if you spin the aerial view around, but whether those are for those industries (they don't seem to be in the right place to be unloaded there) or just left during switching ops at the transload facility I don't know.

Plenty there that's definately active! :)

Just going for a look south of I85...

If our Tone was well he could comment on this, as he lives very close to the location !

The location is about 25 minutes from home. I know this area well hand and have plenty of photos of the area and industries. One of which I'm using as a prototype for a cement silo on a friends layout.

Cheers, Tony

Dear Craig,

Any idea if this is switched by CSX, a "switching contractor", or by individual industries running theor own switchers/Trackmobiles?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

100% CSX. Switched usually using GP38-2's and GP40-2's but I have seen AC4400CW's, 8-40CW's and 8-40C's working these industries, just depends on what power is available in Pinoca Yard.

HTH.

Cheers, Tony

Would there be something flamable/explosive in these tank cars for them to be out all on their own? http://www.bing.com/...0NC&form=LMLTCC

It is very rare for explosives to be handled in a tank car.

It could contain something hazardous, but that's probably not why its out there. There is no requirement to have that much space around a car.

Starting from the left-most one there are a couple of spurs that reverse off, one to an interesting looking plant, neither with any cars - a big warehouse on the left with boxcars and centerbeams (2) and the right hand one appears to have loads of corn syrup tanks outside and coca cola liveried trucks outside - a bottling plant? (3)

Yes, it's Coca Cola Consolidated Bottling - which was in fact the customer I was visiting when I ran across that first funky switchback/diamond. It's a pretty good sized bottling plant too.

Archived