K's LMS Karrier ro-railer

• RMweb Gold

I recently picked up an unbuilt example of one of these and, while I'll probably chicken out and commission somebody to build it for me, I am keen to scope out the possibility of putting it together myself. I seem to recall that two editions of Railway Modeller carried articles on building this kit, but as I recently caved into to pressure from SWMBO and gave away all of my back issues I have no way of checking.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I believe there was an article about the kit for this strange hybrid in the Railway Modeller in September 1983, and a further one in January 1990, so if you can find copies these may be helpful.

Apparently the 'original' kit (in which most of the interior was taken up by the motor) was succeeded by a 'bodyline' version, and the second article is about fitting this to a Tenshodo motor bogie.

Which version do you have?

I recently picked up an unbuilt example of one of these and, while I'll probably chicken out and commission somebody to build it for me, I am keen to scope out the possibility of putting it together myself. I seem to recall that two editions of Railway Modeller carried articles on building this kit, but as I recently caved into to pressure from SWMBO and gave away all of my back issues I have no way of checking.

I should have a copy somewhere, I built one of these a year ago (before reading the article).The k's motor unit is naf, either use a Tenshido (one wheel taken off) or something like a high level unit. Its a nice unsusal model I was drawn to it as I collect K's models and also it ran behind my sisters old garden in Hemel. Its not finished yet but it is simple to build.

post-1131-12599610777175_thumb.jpg

Lining and crests need to be finished, then glazing. Lost a bit of interest due to the motor.

You need the Middleton Press Branchline to Hemel Hempsted by Middleton Press, photos 49-51.

It shows the Ro-Railer in Redbourn Station( rear view), coming off the ramp and the drivers adjusting the wheels.

Reg no, is UR7924 and it is clearly as described in lake with white roof with plain LMS on the side. It carries lamps top-centre and L and R( over bumper). It has a double rail bumper in front of the radiator.I can't see anything which might be yellow stripes, though it appears to have 2 thin brass(?) lines dow the side below the windows.

Two horns protrude either side of the radiator.

I can't tell what the ramp is made of, but it could be wood rather like level crossing infill.

The ro-railer didn't last long as it couldn't handle the steep gradients on the Nickey Line.

Oh, and the route sign reads "PRIVATE"!

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help, everybody.

I believe there was an article about the kit for this strange hybrid in the Railway Modeller in September 1983, and a further one in January 1990, so if you can find copies these may be helpful.

Apparently the 'original' kit (in which most of the interior was taken up by the motor) was succeeded by a 'bodyline' version, and the second article is about fitting this to a Tenshodo motor bogie.

Which version do you have?

It's the original, although as suggested upthread I plan to go for the motor bogie option.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Model Railway News (anyone else remember it) had an article (or 2?) on the K's Ro-railer sometime in the mid 60s, after the magazine changed to the larger format.

Sadly I ran out of space and disposed of my copies years ago.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Model Railway News (anyone else remember it) had an article (or 2?) on the K's Ro-railer sometime in the mid 60s, after the magazine changed to the larger format.

Sadly I ran out of space and disposed of my copies years ago.

David

I was going to mention this, but you beat me to it! IIRC it was some time in 1963 and it also ran on Tri-ang's Minic Road * system. Parts for the latter might be difficult and/or expensive to obtain now.

* Minic Motorways. I beleive Peco did a flexible contact strip at the time.

Further to my last post I have found a photo in 'An Illustrated History of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway, by H.N. Twells which i picked up at a local boot sale recently.

This shows the bus on rails with 3 lamps on the front. Crimson lake & white roof and thin lining with serif 'L M S' The lining and lettering appears gold and possibly shaded. The destination blind reads 'PRIVATE'. The text states withdrawal due to a "Mishap", without going into details.

Archived