Johnson's Klear

As promised here are a couple of photos of the latest Pledge/Future/Klear:

post-9016-0-50988200-1324001647_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-51626800-1324001777_thumb.jpg

It is totally clear - the second photo is taken through the liquid and the third line down guarentees it not to "yellow" - so I'm guessing this is the real deal. It works fine.

3 bucks at Wally World.

Best, Pete.

Why not just buy Microscale Micro Flat from the hobby store ? It is what I use here in Australia and I know I have seen it advertised in the UK. I always dilute it 50/50 with water when spraying in the airbrush and when hand brushing. Clean your airbrush IMMEDIATELY after using ! It drys clear and hard. It comes as a gloss, satin or matt finish ; stir gently before use...do NOT shake.

Warning : Don't use methfix transfers over the Microscale Micro Gloss as the methylated spirits reacts with it to produce a cloudy mess ! Waterslide and pressfix are fine.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Am currently on holiday in France and managed to pick up some Klir in Leclerc's (though I thought I had checked them last year). Hopefully this is the real thing - I won't be able to check for several weeks at least. It's Johnsons and for floors only, so hopefully is the real thing.

Klirfront600px.jpg

Klirrear600px.jpg

A frisson of excitement passes across the modelling population.......

The big question; is the liquid clear (original formulation) or slightly milky/cloudy (new formulation)?

If it's the former stock up your boot! ;)

• RMweb Gold

100 bottles of floor polish instead of the expected duty-free. :D

but not taste as good as 100 bottles of cheap French plonk....

(only joking...my wife is French and I only drink fine wines ;))

Hi Guys

I can confirm that as far as I can see there is no difference between the old formula Johnson's Klear and the new formula now available.

The old one was as it said on the bottle, a clear liquid where as the new formula is a milky colour but when they both dry side by side there is no difference that I can tell and no colour cast as I tried it on a white plastic coach body.

No need to go to France just go to your local Asda or Tesco store.

Regards

David

David,

One use for the old Klear was in fixing glazing. It also has the benefit of imparting a shiny glaze to windows and even masking minor scratches. Perhaps you could try both old and new on some transparent material?

Nick

Can I just say what I repeated earlier.

It was designed as a product for kitchen floors - it would be taken off the market if it changed the colour of the floor. An Army of American Women (and some Men, to be fair) would instantly start a Class Action Lawsuit against the company for emotional damage (actually that could also apply to some RMWebbers)!!!!!!!

Good product.

Best, Pete.

I'm not sure what your point is, Pete. I don't think anyone is questioning whether the old or new versions work as floor polish. The "Pledge" version that you showed above looks very similar to the old (now discontinued in the UK) Klear so, probably, works the same. Those who have tried the new (in the UK) version report that is cloudy, not clear, and we await a description of the French Klir version. What we are trying to determine is whether the new UK version and the French Klir work as well as the old UK version (and the US Pledge) across a wide range of uses.

Nick

Sorry Nick - I think I got caught up in the wrong thread on Klear. There was another thread which claimed that the new one had a brownish hue....otherwise I'll claim insanity...

Over to you, Pete.

As I live in Switzerland, near to the French border, I popped over and grabbed a bottle of Klir from Leclerc.

As I recently smuggled some Johnson's Pledge Multi-Surface Wax back from the UK in my washbag, I had the opportunity to compare them.

They look the same, they smell the same and they taste the same (only joking !!)

I applied some to a piece of clear plastic packaging and it dries as clear as glass. The square (approx. 2cm) shows where I applied it and the photo was taken in natural light with white paper behind.

So, although it's not a clear liquid, there is certainly no brown tinge when the product has dried.

In summary, Klear was clear but Klir (and by association Johnson's Pledge Multi-Surface Wax) is clearly also clear. Phew.

post-9860-0-27717200-1339005682.jpg

post-9860-0-45691900-1339005793.jpg

Weird, American Klear is still clear in the bottle (see my photos above in the text of this thread). I'd not be inclined to use that diarrhea colored stuff on something I just built....

Nick, Now I see what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.

Exscuse my ignorance buthow do you apply it?

I simply brush it on. The self-levelling properties are excellent meaning it tends not to leave brush marks. It is very thin though (the consistency is watery) so avoid applying to thickly or it may pool! As with most paints, a couple of thin coats are best.

Others have reported good results with air-brushing but I have not tried it myself.

I simply brush it on. The self-levelling properties are excellent meaning it tends not to leave brush marks. It is very thin though (the consistency is watery) so avoid applying to thickly or it may pool! As with most paints, a couple of thin coats are best.

Others have reported good results with air-brushing but I have not tried it myself.

Air brushing would be my preference but what do you use to clean the brush. Is this some form of wax?

• RMweb Premium

Weird, American Klear is still clear in the bottle (see my photos above in the text of this thread). I'd not be inclined to use that diarrhea colored stuff on something I just built....

Best, Pete.

The US product is the original formula, the European product has been re-formulated, I think because of EU legislation, although that may not be the case.

It is NOT the same product, but appears to do the same thing for our purposes. Whether it can do ALL of the things the original can is a matter for testing and evaluation.

Luckily I've still got a few bottles of the original left over from stocking up when word got out it was changing.

Once again I refer you to http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html for chapter and verse.

Rob

I bought a bottle of Johnson Future klear this past month here in Sweden.

It's totally transparent (as Pete says...).

That makes me wonder if the diarreha colored stuff is made for the UK market?

I agree that it would feel very wrong to apply a tinted clear to a newly painted model.......

THERE IS NO TINT !!!

It's totally transparent when dried as you can see from my photograph.

I applied it with a brush, quite heavily and as Karhedron said, it is fluid enough not to show brush marks.

I cannot see why a 'clear, protective' floor finish would dry to anything other than 'clear?'

It is not the intention of the manufacturer to change the colour of every household's flooring!

Whilst I have some stocks of the original stuff, does the currently available [uK] equivalent still

[a] provide a gloss surface to apply decals to?

then provide a gloss protective coating over the top of [a]?

[c]Still act as an adhesive when securing clear plastic or perspex glazing?

[d] when used in successive layers on glazing, does it still produce a 'flush' glazed effect?

[e] will it still secure ballast easily and effectively?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Johnsons Kleer is meant to be used on floors and some years ago when I used it for just that I noticed that after a while it took on a silvery look a bit like a badly applied waterslide transfer. Upon further investigation it had parted company with the perfectly dry floor and could be flaked off. About two years ago I had a customers model to do some work on and I noticed the same thing. He told me he had used JK to varnish it. The whole surface was flaking away. Equally ehere it was still attached it had a distinctly 'milky' appearance. As a professional builder and painter it has no place in my workshop. I use proper varnish diluted about 60 white spirit to 40 varnish and when I want a less than high gloss finish I use a bit of Precision matting gel.

Archived