Thompson A2s - Bachmann rebuilds

Timara

Going rather well!  You might like this pic below though....  Dry run to fit everything together, prior to mixing another bit of araldite together to make the joints between smokebox and cab to the boiler moulding.  It's coming together nicely, even if I say so myself!

attachicon.gif60506_build_L_25686-9a.jpg

Here's the running plate for 60500, though until I have a suitable cab, progress on this one will be rather slow.  I can deal with the valve gear side of things for both locos though, so the bodywork will take a back seat.

attachicon.gif60500_running plate_25690a.jpg

Onwards and upwards.....

A4 non corridor tender Tim?

Looks to me like you've done this sort of thing before.....

Somewhere in the dim and distant past; you may well be right!  I've found a method, possibly done by yourself too, to thicken the leading ends of the frame extensions in order to prevent breakage.  It'll be easier to take a pic than describe, so that's a job for later...

BTW, I have at last started to prepare moulding boxes for those two recent domes.

Ah fantastic, I shall lok forward to those!  Incidentally, I've had an idea regarding the dome for the dia.117 boiler on the A2/3 as well, but it needs further investigation before I'm certain it'll work.  There might be another dome master winging its way to you soon if it works out!  The same goes for the rimmed chimney, which I'm nearly there with....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A timely update....  I've not had a chance to stop at each stage as much as I'd have liked to have done, so these "almost finished" views will have to do.

This particular model has seen a change in my approach to modelling these highly varied locos, on account of the various new parts that have become available since doing 60505.  The resin cab has allowed something much closer to the real thing, together with a much improved smokebox; modified from the A1/1 type Graeme produced.  The little detail etch Morgan drew up is most excellent and has sorted out the area around the steam chest.  I will deal with the other little details it provided in a later post.

So, to the pictures.  The smokebox and cab got painted today, thanks to the speedy nature of car paints, resulting in being able to add the second coat of paint (Precision BR post-1954 green) on top within an hour or two.  Once that has dried, I'll sort out the cabside decoration, before it goes into the weathering shops.

post-6712-0-59369800-1457731450_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-61449800-1457731601_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the pipework and sandboxes.  I should point out that the snifting valve is scratchbuilt, since I need a few for my N2s and therefore wanted to see if I could make them instead of buying them in.  The result is something that will not snap off, on account of it having a wire pin all the way through.  The smokebox pipework was a tad fiddly, but went OK otherwise.  Note to self: must remove that cylinder lining ASAP.....

post-6712-0-39065000-1457731484_thumb.jpg

Final additions will be the buffers, front footsteps and lubricators, all of which I've left off until now, simply because I don't fancy damaging them through handling and all the other work going on!

A timely update.... I've not had a chance to stop at each stage as much as I'd have liked to have done, so these "almost finished" views will have to do.

This particular model has seen a change in my approach to modelling these highly varied locos, on account of the various new parts that have become available since doing 60505. The resin cab has allowed something much closer to the real thing, together with a much improved smokebox; modified from the A1/1 type Graeme produced. The little detail etch Morgan drew up is most excellent and has sorted out the area around the steam chest. I will deal with the other little details it provided in a later post.

So, to the pictures. The smokebox and cab got painted today, thanks to the speedy nature of car paints, resulting in being able to add the second coat of paint (Precision BR post-1954 green) on top within an hour or two. Once that has dried, I'll sort out the cabside decoration, before it goes into the weathering shops.

attachicon.gif60506_build_L_27007a.jpg

attachicon.gif60506_build_R_27010a.jpg

A close-up of the pipework and sandboxes. I should point out that the snifting valve is scratchbuilt, since I need a few for my N2s and therefore wanted to see if I could make them instead of buying them in. The result is something that will not snap off, on account of it having a wire pin all the way through. The smokebox pipework was a tad fiddly, but went OK otherwise. Note to self: must remove that cylinder lining ASAP.....

attachicon.gif60506_build_L_27013a.jpg

Final additions will be the buffers, front footsteps and lubricators, all of which I've left off until now, simply because I don't fancy damaging them through handling and all the other work going on!

Looking really good pity about Bachmann s too heavy/out of proportion cartazzi. You shouldn't show me thinks like that I get expensive thoughts

Looking really good pity about Bachmann s too heavy/out of proportion cartazz You shouldn't show me thinks like that I get expensive thoughts

I've just realised you meant Cartazzi...  Autocorrect being a swine as usual!  Yes, it's not the greatest, is it.....I've got plans to replace it on my model of Waverley, but they're a way off yet.  Once the Wolf is finished, I'll be turning my attention to 60500 again.

Oh and I'm happy to give ideas and expensive thoughts to anyone! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I've just realised you meant Cartazzi...  Autocorrect being a swine as usual!  Yes, it's not the greatest, is it.....I've got plans to replace it on my model of Waverley, but they're a way off yet.  Once the Wolf is finished, I'll be turning my attention to 60500 again.

I modified the cartazzi a few years ago and described it on the LNER forum. I think the thread was called "sorting the Bachmann cartazzi". I don't seem to have any photos of the work in progress, but here's the finished article under Steady Aim (the boiler is only perched, not fixed down). It uses the Hornby A3 etc cartazzi, extended between spring and footstep, and with a new plastic card "nose".  

post-708-0-66427100-1457770053.jpg

This is the modification that was needed to the chassis. One loses the fixing screws at the rear, leaving only the front screw to connect body and chassis, but both Sayajirao and Auld Reekie have been like this for years without problems. I dare say some kind of keeper could be fashioned at the rear. 

post-708-0-91161500-1457770282.jpg

I also used the Hornby A3 (etc) underframe on the tender, removing the footplate from the Bachmann body. 

post-708-0-11016700-1457770076.jpg

I modified the cartazzi a few years ago and described it on the LNER forum. I think the thread was called "sorting the Bachmann cartazzi". I don't seem to have any photos of the work in progress, but here's the finished article under Steady Aim (the boiler is only perched, not fixed down). It uses the Hornby A3 etc cartazzi, extended between spring and footstep, and with a new plastic card "nose".  

attachicon.gifP1320707.jpg

This is the modification that was needed to the chassis. One loses the fixing screws at the rear, leaving only the front screw to connect body and chassis, but both Sayajirao and Auld Reekie have been like this for years without problems. I dare say some kind of keeper could be fashioned at the rear. 

attachicon.gifP1320711.jpg

I also used the Hornby A3 (etc) underframe on the tender, removing the footplate from the Bachmann body. 

attachicon.gifP1270368.jpg

I think I saw your work on the LNER forum. Any chance of further details? or picture of the completed locos?

Leading on from this, can anyone advise where I can obtain etched class Gresley A1 cab sidesheets?-I do not want to use the cast metals ones I have.

Sadly you and many others have the same problem.

The only ones I am aware of are by DJH who do not sell spares. PDK may ? as they also do the relevant etchings , if the prices for their Tenders is a indication they would be very expensive.

• RMweb Premium

I think I saw your work on the LNER forum. Any chance of further details? or picture of the completed locos?

Sorry, David, I can't find any work-in-progress photos, and the locos live hundreds of miles away in North Yorkshire, on my father's layout. But you'll find them on the LNER forum. 

Sadly you and many others have the same problem.

The only ones I am aware of are by DJH who do not sell spares. PDK may ? as they also do the relevant etchings , if the prices for their Tenders is a indication they would be very expensive.

Thanks-I will look into this.  DJH were amusingly rude when I enquired about spares-I assumed they wanted to commit commercial suicide, and after happily buying their kits previously, decided not to deal with them again.

SEF now have the former Wills A3 - is that an etched cab? They usually do spares.

They do-it is cast, unfortunately, and looks not quite right.  Rather more positively, SEF do spares, and I have many items for detailing, plus various chassis have been upgraded, and I have an etched K3 frame set-very good in my opinion.

• RMweb Premium

Is there no longer a source of cast boxes and hangers to stick or solder onto thin sheet metal frames?  Taking a mould off the Hornby tackle might be a way.

The Comet one is a work of fiction, and I seem to remember there's something wrong with the Branchlines (?) one - overscale? 

• 3 months later...

So, finally, some serious progress on 60506.  These are the views taken before weathering, which will come in a following post.  I've only done two coats of red on the bufferbeam, given the state the bufferbeam is in the photos I'm working from!  It's utterly filthy and you barely see any red at all....

Anyway, pictures.  There's not a great deal to say, other than what these photos can do.  I'll be happy to answer any queries that arise though!

post-6712-0-67422900-1466710529_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-65697600-1466710378_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-96336400-1466710338_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-12292800-1466710412_thumb.jpg

Finally, a gratuitous head-on shot.....

post-6712-0-02222500-1466710501_thumb.jpg

So, finally, some serious progress on 60506.  These are the views taken before weathering, which will come in a following post.  I've only done two coats of red on the bufferbeam, given the state the bufferbeam is in the photos I'm working from!  It's utterly filthy and you barely see any red at all....

Anyway, pictures.  There's not a great deal to say, other than what these photos can do.  I'll be happy to answer any queries that arise though!

attachicon.gif60506_build_L_28973a.jpg

attachicon.gif60506_build_R_28978a.jpg

attachicon.gif60506_build_R_28982a.jpg

attachicon.gif60506_build_L_28983a.jpg

Finally, a gratuitous head-on shot.....

attachicon.gif60506_build_F_28986a.jpg

Looks very good Tim!

To close things (from my point of view) on 60506, here's a view from this morning, basking in some sunlight.

post-6712-0-57920600-1466773518_thumb.jpg

Next to complete will be 60500, which will require a decent looking cab.  Watch this space.....

Archived