Hobbyrail, Sutton Coldfiled

Coombe Barton

Having come back to modelling after a gap I've been trying to find local emporia to feed my need for bits. Most of the shops I remember have disappeared. I've tried the Antics store in Coventry, but found mainly boxes. Now I've only paid one visit to HobbyRail (it isn't too near where I live and opening times mean scheduled visits) last week to restock on Plasticard, and found all manner of interesting goodies. Another visit is on the card before Christmas hols.

Now I'm not anywhere in the market for RTR, but materials, bits and some kits are the things that I will need. I know there's mail order, but nothing beat a good bit of browsing.

Naturally I'm basing this comment on a single visit so it's not very representative, but unless someone comes up with alternatives (and I've been searchng) I'll be going back.

Good call! Walking distance from where I sit typing this - aren't I lucky B)

A classic model railway shop in old school mode. Peter is a genuine chap and looks after what I expect is a suitably loyal clientele. A great range of aftermarket parts, especially plasticard, brass rod, paints, and the essential accessories. Also takes a sensible quantity of boxes of new releases that, not unreasonably, he moves at RRP. Check out the selection of second-hand hardbacks and small amount of used rolling stock. There is a good range of kits for steam and modern rail structures and buildings too.

This week I popped in and noticed a crop-circle by Busch. However, I just knew that some smart-a** would see it on my blog and say 'Ha! How unrealistic. That's in 3.5mm/ foot.'

Great shop - support. Closed Thursdays/ Sundays.

• 11 months later...

Just found this section of the website...

I just live round the corner from this shop, within about 5 minutes walk if that... Its a great place and has been going, must be 15 or more years now so they must be doing something right. Ive always past it by though, its great for 00 stuff but not for 0.

When i did use 00 i always found sleepers models just off the birmingham road in Gravelly hill very good too. Now modelers mecca is great, but a real pain to get to unless you live west of birmingham...

• 4 weeks later...

Good call! Walking distance from where I sit typing this - aren't I lucky B)

A classic model railway shop in old school mode. Peter is a genuine chap and looks after what I expect is a suitably loyal clientele. A great range of aftermarket parts, especially plasticard, brass rod, paints, and the essential accessories. Also takes a sensible quantity of boxes of new releases that, not unreasonably, he moves at RRP. Check out the selection of second-hand hardbacks and small amount of used rolling stock. There is a good range of kits for steam and modern rail structures and buildings too.

Yeah Pete is a great chap! and so's his staff. I kind of stopped modeling around 2004 and didn't visit his shop until earlier this year and soon as I walk through the door, it was "hello Jim!" How many other shops would do that after you hadn't walked through the door for nearly six years?!

Jim

• 3 months later...

Just a social update for habituees of HobbyRail. Those of you who have used the DCC chipping service will no doubt know Clive, the taller of the usual crew here. What you may not be aware of is that Clive unfortunately suffered a stroke late last year and whilst he has not been at the shop since, he is now I understand convalescing at home, making slow but steady progress.

For how long the shop will be without his robust and witty banter I doubt we can say with certainty, but from the regular clientele, myself, Queen Street in 'N,' and the rest 'Get Well Soon, Clive' if you or your good lady are reading this :)

• RMweb Premium

Having come back to modelling after a gap I've been trying to find local emporia to feed my need for bits. Most of the shops I remember have disappeared. I've tried the Antics store in Coventry, but found mainly boxes. Now I've only paid one visit to HobbyRail (it isn't too near where I live and opening times mean scheduled visits) last week to restock on Plasticard, and found all manner of interesting goodies. Another visit is on the card before Christmas hols.

Now I'm not anywhere in the market for RTR, but materials, bits and some kits are the things that I will need. I know there's mail order, but nothing beat a good bit of browsing.

Naturally I'm basing this comment on a single visit so it's not very representative, but unless someone comes up with alternatives (and I've been searchng) I'll be going back.

Same problem for me John, living as I do in roughly the same area. 'Popping out' for modelling supplies entails a good 40-60min drive towards Ansty or Sutton Coldfield or Erdington. Opening times are an issue being at work early-late all week. Saturdays are next to impossible with a young family and all their activities. Unfortunately that means I have to rely on the web and mail order to get most of my bits and bobs. I do prefer though mooching around a good model shop though. It's a bit of a vicious circle people use the web, fewer visits to shops, shops close or restrict stock, fewer folk vist etc etc. There's a few exceptions though, such as Trains4U, but they tend to have a foot in both camps.

• RMweb Premium

When i did use 00 i always found sleepers models just off the birmingham road in Gravelly hill very good too. Now modelers mecca is great, but a real pain to get to unless you live west of birmingham...

Thought I'd take a look at Sleepers the other day as it's not far from one of the places I work. It was locked up but the neon sign was on. Looking through the window was shocking. It had the appearance of a model railway tip. Has someoone just dumped a whole load of unwanted swapmeet cast-offs in a big pile on the floor. Certainly gave the impression of being past its best or even shut down.

I can't find the thread now, but I've previously advised on here that Sleepers has been closed since 2009 if not earlier.

Although who's paying the bill for the neon sign remains a mystery biggrin.gif

• 3 years later...

An update for occasional visitors to Sutton's excellent old-school HobbyRail, just in case this can prevent any wasted journeys.

Speaking to Peter on Saturday he advised a reduction in normal opening hours from this week onwards. 

The shop is closed today for the Bank Holiday, and this pattern will continue.  

From now on opening hours will be between 1030 and 1630 TWFSO.

Hobby rail the shop that parts me with my money far to easily the problem is Pete, Len and Les are far to happy to help me part with it to. The great alladins cave of Sutton stocked high of shiny new things and that odd gem you've always been after

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was at Hobby rail last month parting with my hard earned... When speaking to them they told me the shop is closing down on Easter weekend as the owner wants to retire!!

Last day of the tax year.

Shame, though.

I had an inkling of this for some time, as Peter mentioned to me before Christmas that he was reining-in pre-orders to a minimum, destocking certain ranges and winding stock down in order to retire by the time he turns 70 later this year.  I must try and make it a regular Saturday pilgrimage in the time remaining, as I'm away Mon - Fri.  Last thing I harvested there was, perversely, a Lima Class 156, for which there was no rational explanation (at least none I'm going to share here).

HobbyRail has been a cornerstone of my impulse buying and regular modelling sundries since I got back into layout-building and especially putting wagon kits together, so it's been every inch my local cornershop for a very long time.  More so since the model shop in Walmley closed in the late eighties, and we lost Gill's in Sutton (now Oxfam), the Model Shop in Lichfield, Graingers in Walsall, plus Walstead Road, and the two at Scott Arms.  

I don't believe there's another traditional model shop remaining in this area.  I can walk to HobbyRail in twenty minutes, which is a luxury, admittedly.  But a twenty minute drive is even useless.  The occasional pleasures of a drive out to Hereford or Cheltenham remain.  Let's hope they do so for the rest of my mobile and sentient modelling lifespan.

An old, wistful and rose-tinted 'Chard, 

in denial about the general crappiness of the present

• RMweb Gold

...................................................  More so since the model shop in Walmley closed in the late eighties, and we lost Gill's in Sutton (now Oxfam), the Model Shop in Lichfield, Graingers in Walsall, plus Walstead Road, and the two at Scott Arms.  

I don't believe there's another traditional model shop remaining in this area.  I can walk to HobbyRail in twenty minutes, which is a luxury, admittedly.  But a twenty minute drive is even useless.  The occasional pleasures of a drive out to Hereford or Cheltenham remain.  Let's hope they do so for the rest of my mobile and sentient modelling lifespan.

An old, wistful and rose-tinted 'Chard, 

in denial about the general crappiness of the present

Back in the 1970s and 80s I was doing regular site visits around midlands with meetings or courses in London, Crewe, Nottingham, Manchester and sometimes York, Reading or Derby. I rarely seemed to have any difficulty in finding a model railway stockist to browse or other model shop for paints and materials when I was out and about.

My bosses during that period included a railway modeller and a railway history enthusiast. The personal drawer in my plan desk contained a small modelling kit for lunchtimes, several part completed building sides being cut and prefabricated for flatpacking home to the layout and a wagon kit or two.

'Chard doesn't have a monopoly in rose-tinting.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

A bit of good news on the Hobbyrail front.

I went to the Sutton Model Rail Exhibition yesterday and Peter had a stand.

He told me that a couple of modellers from Bournville have bought his scenic stock, are going to keep the name and open a stall in Sutton Market in May sometime

Peter

Was surprised to learn this has closed when visiting the SC show. I think that leaves Birmingham as:

"Tennants" in Hagley

Ian Allan

Modellers Mecca (Mecca is probably easier to get to)

Wonderful World of trains etc (limited but open Sunday)

Southern Models (cash only second hand, no tools)

Best wishes for the retirement.

What future for the website?

Archived