Help with NCE Powercab

Rob F

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Done all of that. Even had an e mail from them telling me it was about to go in the mail. That was in 2014.

P

I got a similar mail and it was a while before the IC arrived but not as long as that. Good Luck. It might just be worth dropping them another mail and asking if they have any idea when your upgrade will be despatched. I recall I did that and the IC arrived within a few days.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Revisiting this old thread in case this is of interest, or anyone has any thoughts.

Like several others on this thread, I've been happy enough with my Powercab while aware that the running can be a bit slow due to the reduced track

voltage compared to some other DCC systems. Over the last few months, though, running has become worse and worse, with trains running slower

and slower, and lacking power on gradients and curves. Initially I spent a lot of time thinking the faults were with specific locomotives, before I realised

that it wasn't just my passenger units that were affected, but also the freights. We're not talking about stupid speeds here, just realistic scale speeds

for various trains.

As a test, I swapped my Powercab for my Prodigy and the transformation was like night and day. Everything was running at decent speeds again, with

power to spare - as it used to be on the Powercab. So it looks as if the power supply has been suffering a progressive failure, delivering less voltage and/or

ampage to the track, without shutting down completely.

One caveat: earlier in the year I installed a second Cab06 handheld unit on the layout. I bought it without realising that the Powercab only supports one Cab06.

However, after doing a bit of research, I came across this reference to a second Cab06 being an undocumented feature:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70419

So I cautiously added the second Cab06 and things seemed to work fine. However at the back of my mind I'm wondering if the second unit may have put too

great a load on the power supply, leading to damage. Any thoughts on whether this might have been the case?

That said, now I need a solution. As far as I can see there are two options: a more powerful 2A, 15V  transformer (Digitrains do one, but it's seemingly out of stock) 

or the belt and braces approach of adding an SB5 booster, with its 5A capability and additional support for extra throttles. The latter seems a bit like overkill, though,

on my relatively small layout, where I rarely have more than 6 locomotives running at once.

• RMweb Premium

Barry Ten, I don't have the answer to you issue. However I recently bought an RRampmeter to see what was consuming current from my NCE 5 amp system. My Cab 06 consumes practically nothing compared to other things. Some lit coaches were consuming a lot. So were the gradually increasing amount of accessories. If you have added any of those you might try removing them and see if anything improves. Tom

• RMweb Gold

Barry Ten, I don't have the answer to you issue. However I recently bought an RRampmeter to see what was consuming current from my NCE 5 amp system. My Cab 06 consumes practically nothing compared to other things. Some lit coaches were consuming a lot. So were the gradually increasing amount of accessories. If you have added any of those you might try removing them and see if anything improves. Tom

That's useful to know, Tom. Thinking along the same lines I did remove my 8-unit passenger train just in case; it's not lit except for the lights at the end of the train, but it does have pickups and I worried that it might somehow be drawing excess current. But that wasn't it.

I've had power adaptors fail on laptops before, but in my experience they tend to just "die" without much warning, but perhaps I've just never noticed a gradual drop in power.

Hi Barry Ten

I assume you have been using the option within the PowerCab to show the track current.  Have you noticed any drop in the current output to the track using this option?

Some years ago I was recommended the Maplin L11BQ power supply by NCE so if you need a relatively cheap power upgrade that might produce what you are looking for.  I have one and it has worked reliably.  There is a noticeable improvement in running and sound levels over the basic power supply.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barry Ten

I assume you have been using the option within the PowerCab to show the track current.  Have you noticed any drop in the current output to the track using this option?

Some years ago I was recommended the Maplin L11BQ power supply by NCE so if you need a relatively cheap power upgrade that might produce what you are looking for.  I have one and it has worked reliably.  There is a noticeable improvement in running and sound levels over the basic power supply.

Thanks, John. I'm just out for the day but will see if I can look at the track current when I get back. And thanks for pointing me toward the Maplin product, it looks like a good, economical solution.

Hi

I know John (BromsMods)  is very much the 'man' for all things NCE, as he used to sell them. So I would really value his input to these two questions... 

The two things with the Maplin power supply that worry me are:-

a)  Its rated at 4.0Amps while the maximum recommended current for the PowerCab is 3.0Amp. Most supplied with the set as new have power supplies normally no greater than 2.0Amp.

b ) The DC tips are interchangeable and easily reversible, which can result in the positive appearing on the outer barrel of the plug if its inserted 180 degrees around into its moulded two pin socket.  Will this reversal cause any harm to the PCP or the PowerCab?  

I have on this style of removable plug tip always painted a white strip on both the connector and the removable plug to try and ensure that should they come apart they are restored the correct way around and no accidental reversal of polarity occurs.

This is the Maplin PSU... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/worldwide-60w-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-l11bq

Edit to add URL to Maplin

Hi

I know John (BromsMods)  is very much the 'man' for all things NCE, as he used to sell them. So I would really value his input to these two questions... 

The two things with the Maplin power supply that worry me are:-

a)  Its rated at 4.0Amps while the maximum recommended current for the PowerCab is 3.0Amp. Most supplied with the set as new have power supplies normally no greater than 2.0Amp.

b ) The DC tips are interchangeable and easily reversible, which can result in the positive appearing on the outer barrel of the plug if its inserted 180 degrees around into its moulded two pin socket.  Will this reversal cause any harm to the PCP or the PowerCab?  

I have on this style of removable plug tip always painted a white strip on both the connector and the removable plug to try and ensure that should they come apart they are restored the correct way around and no accidental reversal of polarity occurs.

This is the Maplin PSU... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/worldwide-60w-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-l11bq

Edit to add URL to Maplin

Hi Brian

(a) was one of my concerns but the power supply is UP TO 4 amps.  I was assured by NCE this would be OK.  I have mine set to 13.5V and it has operated for several years, sometimes being left on for long periods of time, without (so far!) any ill effects.

(b) correct!  Getting the adapter the right way round is important.

Barry Ten

Just to clarify, the PowerCab setting I mentioned above shows the current being drawn by locos and accessories, not the actual output of the PowerCab to the track.  To do that you would need the RRampmeter from DCC Specialties.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the advice here.

I managed to buy the Maplins power supply for around 22 pounds from my local branch, since they had one box that had been opened. The transformation is excellent, with

improved running across the board. It's not just about speed, but about responsiveness; now there's no hesitation and everything just works as intended, even on less than

spotless track.

Although I didn't do the current test before swapping the supply, under the new regime the track current remained below 1 Amp, and was generally around 0.5 - 0.6 Amps unless

running a heavy four-unit freight and sound-equipped E8 plus nine car passenger train simultaneously, while also having the roundhouse tracks active.

Just switching the roundhouse in and out made around 0.2 Amps difference, even though the locomotives aren't moving.

I tried switching the Maplins unit between 15 and 13.5 volts; both work well but the passenger unit is a bit more consistent on the higher setting, on a curving, 2% grade. I noticed

that the lower part of the Powercab handset was getting slightly warm after time, probably not enough to be a concern, but I'll do some more experimenting to see if this varies

depending on the voltage setting.

All in all I would consider this a good, economical solution for anyone struggling to get adequate performance from their Powercab.

I have today just received this from NCE Support in the USA re power supplies and over current protection (Much of which, if not all, has already been spoken about in earlier posts in this very topic)

The Power Cab has no internal regulation and relies on the Power Supply.

The 1.8 amp supply has been load tested reliably at the 2amp system rating.

Finding a reliable supplier of the correct Power Supplies for both the US and the UK is a big challenge for us.

Using ANY other Power supply not sold by NCE will void the warranty and possibly damage the Power Cab.

Do not under ANY circumstance use any power supply rated more than 3 amps!

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest that we have to take a pragmatic approach here. The 12V Uk power supply doesn't seem to meet people's requirements, whereas the 15V, 2Amp unit offered by Digitrains is out of stock (or was when I looked last week). The SB5 booster is an expensive fix when all one wants is a few more volts. John's experience seems to suggest that the Maplins unit is a reasonable long-term solution. For myself, I'll keep a careful eye on heating and avoid having the Powercab plugged in unless I'm running trains. In my current lazy set up, it's switched on even if I just want to sit at the workbench doing some modelling.

I don't want to start a new thread but I have a PowerCab question:

So I need to buy a power supply as well as the controller?  Or do I just buy something like this and I'll be ready to plug in and go?  I will probably be okay to start with, but I'd be happy to get the Maplin extra juice and set it up with that just in case.  Not sure yet.

I don't want to start a new thread but I have a PowerCab question:

So I need to buy a power supply as well as the controller?  Or do I just buy something like this and I'll be ready to plug in and go?  I will probably be okay to start with, but I'd be happy to get the Maplin extra juice and set it up with that just in case.  Not sure yet.

The Powercab set comes complete with power supply. Bought one from Hattons late last year.

Everything is in the box that you need to get going.  

Do not use the coiled cable its not for use with the basic PowerCab.

Ensure the flat cable is plugged into the left hand socket on the panel with the red power LED at the bottom.

Archived