Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Wow, this thread moves on so fast, I go away for a week, come back and there are hours of revisio for men of what's been going on here, but all worth it

Cheers Billy. On a day-by-day basis it sometimes seems a crawl. Then you find a week has gone by with ten pages of posts. Incredible! Well, I hope you found something of interest in your catch-up!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy! I noticed you'd posted in T and I did wonder why Father Andy "ho ho ho" was still around....

Sorry for the late reply but I've been out to do some shopping. I've also been into the bunker to check that the coaches fit through the portal. They do - just! I made a 10% change in the portal width because of the "6' issue" and kept the portal height to width ratio the same (so the portal is about 10mm taller). But I'm going to give it a light sanding to see if I can gain another mm of clearance. It should be ok if I position it correctly (the fact it's on a slight curve (65") complicates things).

I'll tune in to T and AM later to check if George has progressed.

Enjoy your cakes!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly. An entertaining post (2346) - you clearly enjoy what's going on here. Try and keep young Andy (uax6) in check, as he's trying to corrupt you from your beloved GWR to the LNWR!

Btw, I was most impressed with the fact that you were still knocking the coffee back at midnight - just like my dad, who's up 'til all hours of the morning!

Cup of coffee then it's time to cut some Slaters, cut some ply and make some arch rings...

Jeff

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply but I've been out to do some shopping. I've also been into the bunker to check that the coaches fit through the portal. They do - just! I made a 10% change in the portal width because of the "6' issue" and kept the portal height to width ratio the same (so the portal is about 10mm taller). But I'm going to give it a light sanding to see if I can gain another mm of clearance. It should be ok if I position it correctly (the fact it's on a slight curve (65") complicates things).

Shopping? You mean you've given up on the cricket? (Though looking at what's happened, I can't blame you!)

Don't forget to allow space for the plasticard lining on the inside of the arch - if you are using embossed card, that may be quite a bit of extra room you'll need...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've decided to "play it safe" with the portal. No point building it and finding the coaches just about scrape the walls. So I've re-scaled it by another 5%, re-drawn it and I'm just going to cut the opening out.

Gives me chance to go back and start a proper step-by-step. So here's the first pic, with the ply marked up...

post-13778-0-25890100-1355573603_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It may only be 2mm ply, but cutting the curve of the portal took me over 30 minutes - with a new blade!

I pre-scribed along the line and then set-to. The result is a much truer curved shape than my previous attempt. And it easily passes the "coaches" test.

So now to cut the ply pillars and the first sheet of dressed stone...

post-13778-0-81251700-1355577334_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

And there was me thinking I was the only who did things twice, obviously not :no: . Good to see it progressing Jeff even if I had expected to see plasticard on it by this time. Busy weekend for me so the model has been cleared from the dining table for a couple of days and I have to wait for some more strip anyway to complete the second half.

Andy - (GWR water tower, such filth! ;-} ) Ouch! :O :laugh:Pretty much like the leg pulling I get round here living amongst LNER modellers - who funnily enough have some GWR models too, work that out. :scratchhead: Look forward to receiving a copy though, thanks .

Ooo postman has just brought the bits, now can I find the time.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And there was me thinking you'd posted because I'd said the portal passed the "coaches" test. I thought you might have misinterpreted it as passing "Coaches" test!!

Can't have you having shocking thoughts about my furniture, Larry... title will be updated... :sungum:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Whats the length of your longest coach? If it is only a Mk1, may I suggest that you make it a bit bigger so that a 68ft sleeper could fit through the gap? One day you might have some running and it would be a shame to have to re-make the portals....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Here's the method I used to get the ring arch and stonework to fit reasonably well. I won't be able to judge how good until the plastikard is stuck down...

First, position the ply portal on top of the 7mm dressed stone and mark the position of the opening onto the plastic with a pencil:

post-13778-0-50491300-1355582308_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-94577600-1355582229_thumb.jpg

Next, place the ply portal onto the 40thou that will create the arch ring. Use a pencil to mark the portal shape, then remove the ply, drawing a second line around the outline 7mm (my chosen arch ring width) wide. Apologies for the blurred second pic.

post-13778-0-22940600-1355582244_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-31968500-1355582469_thumb.jpg

The 40thou outline is now cut out and placed on top of the dressed stone, and an outline drawn showing where the edge of the arch ring will be...

post-13778-0-40860700-1355582675_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-93082000-1355582521_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92333300-1355582535_thumb.jpg

Four 2mm pillars were cut, 2 for each side of the opening to give a pillar depth of 4mm. The plastikard and arch ring now sit inside these. Obviously, the plastic needs sticking down - my next task...

post-13778-0-63593100-1355582782_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-47627500-1355582794_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

Looking good so far Jeff, that plastic will be stuck on by now won't it :-)

Just looking through your method you didn't really need the first arc on the stone sheet did you? Look forward to seeing it all come together later.

Yup they are stuck on alright, while I was typing.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good so far Jeff, that plastic will be stuck on by now won't it :-)

Just looking through your method you didn't really need the first arc on the stone sheet did you? Look forward to seeing it all come together later.

Yup they are stuck on alright, while I was typing.

Yes, you're right. The first arc wasn't needed. Well spotted. The evostik for the arch ring is pretty well set. But I used PVA for the stone - I usually use evo - to give me a bit of manoeuvre-time and that'll take a couple of hours.

Time for the next coffee!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great looking hole you have there mate :O

Who else?

You're being very complimentary today Andy. I especially like the compliment on T about my wire loom! Btw, I'm very impressed with George's revised scribing on the station end. I'd like to have a go sometime - but I've got so much plastikard in stock that I'd better use that first.

I notice that the Bachmann D211 sound-chipped Mauretania we discussed a while back is due out in Feb/March. Might treat myself to one, as well as the other green 40. I think they'd look nice trundling a long freight through KL station!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

You're being very complimentary today Andy. I especially like the compliment on T about my wire loom! Btw, I'm very impressed with George's revised scribing on the station end. I'd like to have a go sometime - but I've got so much plastikard in stock that I'd better use that first.

I notice that the Bachmann D211 sound-chipped Mauretania we discussed a while back is due out in Feb/March. Might treat myself to one, as well as the other green 40. I think they'd look nice trundling a long freight through KL station!

Jeff

Have you seen the PECO narrow gauge stuff coming out? sorry musn't lead you astray, ho ho ho

A

• RMweb Premium

Have you seen the PECO narrow gauge stuff coming out? sorry musn't lead you astray, ho ho ho

A

You don't need to try to lead me astray!! You already have! I'm sending you a PM - would like your opinion on something...

Jeff

Jeff, that tunnel mouth is looking good already. I've found a S&C book on Mum's bookshelves ("The Settle to Carlisle - A Tribute" by Roger Siviter), which has a couple of photo's of Blea Moor Tunnel - but I'm not sure that they add much to those posted a few pages back....

Andy - (GWR water tower, such filth! ;-} ) Ouch! :O :laugh:Pretty much like the leg pulling I get round here living amongst LNER modellers - who funnily enough have some GWR models too, work that out. :scratchhead: Look forward to receiving a copy though, thanks .

Hmmm.. I used to say similar things. Now I want a pannier tank, B-set, an auto-tank and auto-coach, and a BLT to run them on...

• Like 2

You don't need to try to lead me astray!! You already have! I'm sending you a PM - would like your opinion on something...

Jeff

Morning Jeff, up early today, fed the dogs and having my poridge then it's a hard days work, I want to DAS the bridge today but I stll have some bits to do first to build the DAS on to.

Re P.M. yes go for it, you know you will need them, (now everybody reading this is wondering what the hell we are on about) :O I reacon you should GO PUBLIC and make an announcement on here. :sungum:

I do like the work you are putting in on the tunnel mouth, I have always used proprietry models from the likes of Peco etc. and then burried them in trees. This is real model making,, not using TRAIN SET STUFF as I normally do. I will have to learn to be more professional if I am going to mix in the same circles as George T, Gordon S, Dave S, Sandside and many many more PLUS NOT FORGETING your good self SIR.

Catch up again for elevenses I expect, :locomotive: Andy. ho ho ho

• RMweb Premium

All will be revealed, indeed! Busy day today - but no modelling yet! I've been doing a bit of Physics tuition for a friend whose daughter has an exam tomorrow. And at 2pm I'm repeating the dose for another friend. I ought to start charging - I could make a fortune!!

Hopefully I can get some more work done on the "side-arms" of the tunnel later this evening - the parts that have the "water guides" to stop flooding over the top. I've an idea how I'm going to do this - bit tedious, but it should look right. You'll see by tomorrow...

PM to Andy - well, it was on the subject of loco pre-orders - a plethora of them...

It's ok Andy - the evostik hasn't got me - yet!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see someone's actually posted something... I was getting worried. Thanks, Santa Andy...

So here's what I've done in the last 30 mins, now I can get back to modelling. These are the side walls that protrude from the tunnel. I'll start to "fill" them shortly. Again, it's 2mm ply.

post-13778-0-53185900-1355678577_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4