Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the van, Andy. Keeping a 1967 vehicle in working order is a clear testament to your mechanical skills.

Jeff

Jeff, I find it's a darn site easier keeping my 45 year old van on the road than any of this modern muck! The whole head off, to back on, took about 3 hours. Try doing that in a modern motor! No electrical sensors or ECU to pack up. Mind you It would be nice to have a heater that can warm more than the gearknob!

It's funny, I rebuilt the engine for the van inbetween trains here in the box, I'm in the middle of welding up my other moggy van, but yet I won't touch any modern car, as they are just too complicated!

Going to the outlaws in France is always fun... It's still compulsory to be able to change any bulb on your car in France if you are stopped by the Police. It has taken me upwards of two hours to change a tail-light bulb on the Mrs' Galaxy! I wouldn't like to do that at the side of the road in France...

BTW the wiring diagram for Electrofrogs is useful, shouldn't there be a file area for stuff like that?

Andy g

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I'm also using Cobalts (and an identical colour scheme, but with an additional pair of wires to provide feedback on the state of the turnout), so I'm curious as to how other users get to use theirs.

Adrian

Fair enough Adrian. It never does any harm to ask a question - the recipient of the question can always choose not to answer!

You really made me think about what I'd done. I'm sure the key thing for me was not having too many soldered wires hanging around below the boards. There are enough wires as it is. Have you set up a layout thread? It'd be interesting to see what you end up doing. Good luck with your project.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I find it's a darn site easier keeping my 45 year old van on the road than any of this modern muck! The whole head off, to back on, took about 3 hours. Try doing that in a modern motor! No electrical sensors or ECU to pack up. Mind you It would be nice to have a heater that can warm more than the gearknob!

It's funny, I rebuilt the engine for the van inbetween trains here in the box, I'm in the middle of welding up my other moggy van, but yet I won't touch any modern car, as they are just too complicated!

Going to the outlaws in France is always fun... It's still compulsory to be able to change any bulb on your car in France if you are stopped by the Police. It has taken me upwards of two hours to change a tail-light bulb on the Mrs' Galaxy! I wouldn't like to do that at the side of the road in France...

BTW the wiring diagram for Electrofrogs is useful, shouldn't there be a file area for stuff like that?

Andy g

That, I'm afraid, is too much like common-sense. The general reaction if you suggest such a thing is that it's already available on this or that website. YES. It is. But it's often presented in a manner that scares the cr*p out of people new to the hobby - not deliberately, of course. I sometimes have to remind myself that what some of us take for granted is unintelligible to others (sorry, that's not meant to sound superior - but a lot of people have a mental blockage with electrics).

All I can try and do is put stuff I find useful in a prominent place on here. Just like Jason with his scratchbuilding or - if you look at AndyP's Trebudoc thread - his mate George is demonstrating a station build in ply and DAS.

Jeff

I too prefer older vehicles and used to be able to remove a head and replace in, oh, several hours, BMC stuff... no computers to go wrong. I grew to enjoy SU carburettors and especally Lucas distributors. With these set up properly your basic Mini could indeed fly. Easy to repair from in a wheelchair, too!

Thanks all for suggestions about purchasing track, I will not buy any as yet because I have Peco code 75 flextrack for my next diorama, will cut webbing for sleeper-spacing. I sent an email to Paul Woods the C&L agent in NZ requesting availabilty and price for metre lengths but no reply so far... a week ago now.

Have done a first B17 picture in the Hornby B17 thread (not sure how to do the link) it shows 'the' offending track, somewhat fixed with photo editing.

http://www.rmweb.co....300#entry873373

I shall move onwards from this track laying 'experience' to new and greater , um, sleep-quality...

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

KL update: Schedule for the next couple of days has been disrupted due to our microbial friends. Currently in bed with a splitting headache and aching muscles. Nevermind - the wireless signal is good up here so I can keep an active eye on the forum and see what you lot get upto.

Forgive any lapses in response - I've probably fallen asleep!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that Jeff, here's hoping that you get well soon and return to the bunker.

In the meantime, here's one of my favourite layouts on here. Not sure if you've seen Quai:87 before but it is fantastic and even better in the flesh.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38591-quai87/

Oh dear!

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you soon feel better - your exploits on here always give me a lift!

Here's something to (hopefully) give you a lift: last Saturday I had my first P4 'Peak' running flawlessly around "Slattocks", our club layout. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera but it was a great boost to see D55 running so smoothly - it's one of the newest Bachmann models and the inner trailing bogie truck is now fitted with a sprung section very similar to the centre axle of an 08, giving a big improvement over the original!

Still going to be a loooong time before it runs on my 'Dent' though!

Keep chin up,

John E.

Sounds like a bad case of the railway bug. It rarely mates but it does have a manic desire to lay track....! Hanging upside down like a bat undernieth baseboards is another syndrome, hence the headaches and aching muscles. There is no known cure, unless you take up toupee photography, but the good news is you will come out of it fully revived and stronger. Get well soon mate.. :mail:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for all the messages. Just a case of "sitting it out"... Gives me plenty of time to dream up new ideas. No doubt Andy P will tell me it's down to too much coffee! Toupee photography Larry? Keep your hair on! Lol.

Bit frustrating as I was really looking forward to another 3 hours wiring today!! :no: Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Get better soon mate, no jokes today

Andy

Wow. After what I just said! Thanks Andy. Had a PM from George, btw. When I get chance I'll be ordering some 2mm and 3mm ply for future use - platform skeletons and station buildings.

Cheers,

Jeff

Go back to sleep,

When you wake up the last 9 Months will have been a bad dream, and you will walk into the Bunker and all will be finished, Track laid and wired, Buildings built, Street lights in and working, Hillside finished and Cows on that lovelly grass you planted in the spring.

OR

you could wake up to the NIGHTMARE of MORE WIRING, ha ha ha HO HO HO sorry, it had to be said, he he he

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant post Andy! That certainly made me laugh!

If I was a religious person, I'd think that wiring was a penance sent down by some higher organism. In many ways I do enjoy it - the end result justifies the time put in (I hope). Same with ballasting. When I think about it, I'll probably spend a couple of weeks wiring. I spent 8 weeks on the viaducts, so it puts it into perspective.

Ok, time to go back to sleep (maybe I'll dream of that maid you referred to previously!).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Clearly you are in need of serious rest Jeff - but ideally not in the bat like stance that goes with under baseboard wiring. The important thing is to relax and not do any layout planning in your head apart from possibly counting the number of sheep you have in mind or visualising the less stark and more 'rolling' aspects of pennine scenery.

Get well soon.

• Like 1

Brilliant post Andy! That certainly made me laugh!

If I was a religious person, I'd think that wiring was a penance sent down by some higher organism. In many ways I do enjoy it - the end result justifies the time put in (I hope). Same with ballasting.

Ah, so therebye lies a clue to your illness.....You have a bad case of ballastingphobia (latin : Strappaguntomyheadthisballastingwith- a-droperis-ab*stard). :swoon:
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, so therebye lies a clue to your illness.....You have a bad case of ballastingphobia (latin : Strappaguntomyheadthisballastingwith- a-droperis-ab*stard). :swoon:

That's really weird - exactly the diagnosis my doctor gave. He also added that it could be Runaleadfromthetrackbus tomyturnoutinitis, otherwise known as Electrofrog Syndrome. As Mike said, I'll dream of sheep (those of you old enough might suggest I dream of Genie).

Whatever, "I'll be back!!"...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that you aren't the May West Jeff, I'm sure it's only a passing thing. Came in this morning and one of the cats was wheezing and coughing, sounds like a chest infection to me, but she is at the vets as I type, so will find out the pain later....

Anyway, here's a shot of me and two Tresspasser's at work. Hardly the dapper style of yesteryear is it? Annabelle is holding Barnaby Bear from school, which is to help them write about what happens at the weekends.... I'm not sure he enjoyed being in the box mind!

post-8375-0-00861600-1355242001_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot that I took this morning at about 0520hrs. Its 317 888 heading to Liverpool Street..

post-8375-0-58453200-1355242247.jpg

It was a tad frosty, hence the arcing! It's quite fun to watch (behind glass to remove the UV, and not for long - arc eye!) as occasionly you can see bits of the conductor wire burn off in a shower of sparks!

Andy G

Edited to put unit number in.

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

To get back on topic, I've been thinking about Jeff's upcoming open day......

To go with my MR carriages I'll need a suitable loco thats DCC. Now as I'm a luddite (and don't see why I'd ever need dcc) I'll have to convert one of my stud to this. I've got an old triang L1 which is masquraiding as a 2P, which I was thinking would be suitable.

Now my plan is this: Disconnect the leads to the motor, sleeve both sides of the spring that holds the brushes in place, which will islolate the motor from the chassis. Then run the pickups and motor wiring via the tender to a switch for either dc or dcc. I'll have a look at changing the leading bogie to the new Hornby M7 type if the wheelbase is close, so that I can have all wheel pick-up.

Any thoughts?

Jeff are you getting a Compound, before I start another project?!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

I just laughed when I read the above about Jeff's open day; whether he wants it or not we are all going to descend on his humble abode, armed to the teeth with locos and stock. Hell, I'm even thinking of knocking together a small shunting layout to bring along :D

It'll be known as the exhibition for gobshites and mentalists, and poor Jeff will feel like he is back in a classroom of unruly tearaways :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

TBH it's a good excuse to give me a goal to get some of my unfinished stuff, errm, finished!

Now I must find that 2P the next time I go to my parents and see what I can do with it to make it more correct too!

Jeffs in for a bit of a shock when he comes to!

Andy g