Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I was out yesterday so did not catch up with the thread. Hope you begin to feel better soon. Don't do anything too complicated when you are under the weather as you may find you have wired yourself to the track bus!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah.

How did I manage to miss post #1441.....

Funny you should say that. I was wondering that as well!

Thanks for raising a valid point, Peter, that might not have appeared in the "morass" that is this thread!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I was out yesterday so did not catch up with the thread. Hope you begin to feel better soon. Don't do anything too complicated when you are under the weather as you may find you have wired yourself to the track bus!

You know, Chris, you may have stumbled upon the solution! Electro-therapy!!

Seriously, I've been sensible enough to stay in the house and avoided crawling round / working at funny angles for a couple of days. I'm relentless when I get ideas in my head - that's a polite way to say "obsessive" and I don't like to stop. But there are times when it's necessary.

Thanks for the message, Chris. I'll take a few more hours rest and be back in the bunker after midnight.... NOT.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

Your control panel reminds me a bit of mine, the one I made back in 84 if you recall, it is for all the sections that are going to be in Tiverton Jn (DC control)and all the switches are mounted onto ply with the track plan. It has all the sections painted in the colour of the wires underneath for identification, looks a bit dated now but I thought it was great at the time.

Mild weather back for Friday, well normal temperatures for the time of year at least, could be the day for that bus wiring.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Your control panel reminds me a bit of mine, the one I made back in 84 if you recall, it is for all the sections that are going to be in Tiverton Jn (DC control)and all the switches are mounted onto ply with the track plan. It has all the sections painted in the colour of the wires underneath for identification, looks a bit dated now but I thought it was great at the time.

Mild weather back for Friday, well normal temperatures for the time of year at least, could be the day for that bus wiring.

Jim

Simultaneous posting - I've just been onto your thread!

Can't fit the track bus yet - simple reason: haven't bought the wire yet!! Lol. I've got a load of 32/0.2 which would be adequate for KL. but I love the 30A rated 50/0.25 I used on my old layout - worked like a dream. So I need to go and buy it. Hence the start of January (a date I will stick to as I'll be enjoying myself at my dads over xmas!!).

Milder weather means connecting up the last 5 turnouts, though. And testing the new panel. Good, simple traditional switching. Love it. If it worked for the Romans, it's good enough for me!! :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'll wave next time I pass

You'll know its me on if the Green Moggy van (In Post office telephones livery) is sat by the box.

I might even have the kettle on!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did a little research today, inbetween Nativity plays (My first as a father, and not something I every thought about!) and discovered that LMS built 2P 566 visited the HR sometime in the early post grouping period. Therefore the triang L1 will be modified to be this loco. This will allow me to do something that is of use to me in the end too...

Jeff, will you be having spare DCC chips for visiting locos? Or do I have to buy one myself? Maybe you could have a translator van?

(I found an article from the MRC on doing said conversion, the bloke did it in about 4 hours including the research. I bet it takes me about 4 weeks!! But then again I will be adding extra pick-ups etc. Maybe something for either this thread or somewhere else on here?)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Brief visit before I go to bed. Quick answer to question: no, if anyone wants to run a loco it'll need to be DCC ready/fitted - I'm sure someone will have a spare or two.

Anyway, that's a long time ahead as I've been saying to one or two other "participants". Hopefully I'll have made a great deal of progress by the time we get something sorted - and if Andy P can bring one of his shunting layouts with him it'll be great! :sungum:

General request to anyone reading this. The "open day" was a good suggestion which I'm very happy to go with. But can we leave it be for the moment - there's a lot to do before I'll even contemplate when.... Hope that's ok!

Hope you enjoyed the Nativity play!

Right, I'm off to bed.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, -5C in Wensleydale this morning and not much warmer here in TS17. Thanks for the pic of the panel, that's some panel, even I wouldn't need me glasses to use that! I made the same mistake on my last, now unfinished, creation by not wiring all crossovers etc in pairs, but am forewarned for the next.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, -5C in Wensleydale this morning and not much warmer here in TS17. Thanks for the pic of the panel, that's some panel, even I wouldn't need me glasses to use that! I made the same mistake on my last, now unfinished, creation by not wiring all crossovers etc in pairs, but am forewarned for the next.

Well, speak of the "devil". Actually, pity you weren't - you could warm us all up!!

I don't regret fitting ALL the switches - at least the panel looks like the layout. But I'll have to highlight the "active" switches - having said that, I'll soon get used to it. As I've said before - a bit childish this - it's very satisfying to see the two sets of switch blades moves slowly across to meet each other at the flick of a switch.

I contemplated putting some LED route indicators onto the board. But maybe I'll add those next time. The whole thing only took about 20 working hours, so it's no big deal if I eventually go for "Mark 2".

Back to temperatures. Remember 2 years ago? It was -12C on my way to work in a semi-urban area. What was it out at Leyburn?

Jeff

So where are all the early-birds this morning? Probably frozen solid - everything outside my window is white with frost.

Looks like a bit more planning / indoor work today...

Jeff

Well, I had to break the wheelybin out of it's ice lock this morning, then got to work (55min drive) with ice still on the windows. So I expect the normal usual suspects are outside sunbathing... :jester:

I agree with that - unless of course your heating seems to dislike making the house warm. 8C in the lounge this morning... I think I know what I'm doing over Christmas...

Hi Jeff, just caught up with the last couple of pages, I have been having a GORDON S :beee: , cant be a***d, gone off the boil so to speak. The LED's arrived yesterday and when I re looked at the control panel I realised I needed to fit in 2 signal switches, and guess what, NOT ENOUGH ROOM, so I will need to make up a new one a bit bigger, and that means finding a new home for it , so I shut the door and said s**d it.

I do like your control panel and dont worry about the extra switches, YOU KNOW WHAT DOES WHAT, and that is all that matters .

Have a good day, I am out for a Christmass Meal at lunchtime, so it is time for Turkey and Christmas Pud, and large dolop of Brandy Sauce and a knap in the chair afterwards. :O catch up later, maybe :no: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ho ho ho

Andy

• Like 1

Morning Jeff

I was up and about getting on with the chores, now sitting down with a mug of coffee and listening to the last session of the test match. No idea what the temp was this morning but even the back door was frozen shut.

Back to a bit of modelling this afternoon and evening.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

I was up and about getting on with the chores, now sitting down with a mug of coffee and listening to the last session of the test match. No idea what the temp was this morning but even the back door was frozen shut.

Back to a bit of modelling this afternoon and evening.

Same for me Jim. Just watched the last ball come down - in fact, I've watched the last 5 hours.... torture! Pitch is slow and dead. Over 80 overs of dot balls. Zzzzzz........ Oops, sorry, I just woke up!

Time for another coffee and a bit of reading. Enjoy your modelling - especially if it's more on the carriage shed!

Andy: I know how you feel - I thought I'd never fit everything in. And you're right - it works, so move on to the next thing.

Anyway, in the words of Santa Andy.... ho, ho, ho. :jester: Enjoy your meal! :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, I had to break the wheelybin out of it's ice lock this morning, then got to work (55min drive) with ice still on the windows. So I expect the normal usual suspects are outside sunbathing... :jester:

I agree with that - unless of course your heating seems to dislike making the house warm. 8C in the lounge this morning... I think I know what I'm doing over Christmas...

In a funny way I'm pleased to hear what you've said Michael! The house I live in usually feels warm and cosy - but it was 10C downstairs when I got up (5am, mind!). I think I'll go outside with a thermometer and see if the bunkers above freezing.

If you live in York and it took you an hour to get to work, where do you work? Leeds? Sheffield? Hull? Rather you than me in the icy conditions.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Well, speak of the "devil". Actually, pity you weren't - you could warm us all up!!

I don't regret fitting ALL the switches - at least the panel looks like the layout. But I'll have to highlight the "active" switches - having said that, I'll soon get used to it. As I've said before - a bit childish this - it's very satisfying to see the two sets of switch blades moves slowly across to meet each other at the flick of a switch.

I contemplated putting some LED route indicators onto the board. But maybe I'll add those next time. The whole thing only took about 20 working hours, so it's no big deal if I eventually go for "Mark 2".

Back to temperatures. Remember 2 years ago? It was -12C on my way to work in a semi-urban area. What was it out at Leyburn?

Jeff

I seem to remember high minus teens for the lowest of our overnight temperatures, my car at the time didn't have a gauge, but my new one does. I know the condensate pipe on the condensing boiler froze up a few times and stopped the boiler working even though it was lagged. Took it off completely in the end.

I had a hidden fiddleyard on my last layout and had detectors under the tracks where I wanted the engine to stop. A red/green LED on the panel showed whether the storage line was occupied or not. It saved me from looking under the main layout level to see where the trains were. How will you know where your trains are under that rendition of the Pennines you're planning?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember high minus teens for the lowest of our overnight temperatures, my car at the time didn't have a gauge, but my new one does. I know the condensate pipe on the condensing boiler froze up a few times and stopped the boiler working even though it was lagged. Took it off completely in the end.

I had a hidden fiddleyard on my last layout and had detectors under the tracks where I wanted the engine to stop. A red/green LED on the panel showed whether the storage line was occupied or not. It saved me from looking under the main layout level to see where the trains were. How will you know where your trains are under that rendition of the Pennines you're planning?

THAT is a very good question. For starters I will just have to be careful and keep an eye on what's going on. In the end I may have to rig some kind of indication system up....

I think the Pennines is a good comparison - the top of the hillside will reach 6' above ground level in places!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

THAT is a very good question. For starters I will just have to be careful and keep an eye on what's going on. In the end I may have to rig some kind of indication system up....

I think the Pennines is a good comparison - the top of the hillside will reach 6' above ground level in places!

Jeff

Then http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/prodindx.htm are who you want. No connection other than a satisfied customer. Other suppliers are no doubt available.

In a funny way I'm pleased to hear what you've said Michael! The house I live in usually feels warm and cosy - but it was 10C downstairs when I got up (5am, mind!). I think I'll go outside with a thermometer and see if the bunkers above freezing.

If you live in York and it took you an hour to get to work, where do you work? Leeds? Sheffield? Hull? Rather you than me in the icy conditions.

That's really not good - to be fair to my lounge, it was only 9C in there when I got in (late) last night, and I only put the heating on for long enough to get into bed.

I work near Hull - I bought the house when I was working at the university, and haven't felt like moving since I got this job 5(!) years ago. The drive doesn't take that long normally, just this morning was particularly slow - lots of lorries, telehandlers, and people scared of using the accelerator...

• RMweb Premium

So where are all the early-birds this morning?

Afternoon, Jeff

Still doing the Christmas cards. I was going spare trying to merge addresses and label sheet and then trying to get it to print. Ended up with some addresses in duplicate and others left out. And that's been over three days. I'm sure it would have been just as quick to write them out by very slow hand and far less frustrating. Oh, the joys of Word docs! Ah well. Battle on sticking them on the envelopes and getting cards (with preprinted greetings - reprinted from last year's attempt) into them.

Back to the cards - not many to go (till I start on the non-posting ones)

Enjoy your day of planning inside... ;)

• RMweb Premium

Then http://www.heathcote...uk/prodindx.htm are who you want. No connection other than a satisfied customer. Other suppliers are no doubt available.

Thanks Jonathan. I'll have a scan of the link - if you've used them and vouch for the product then it must be half-decent. This isn't an issue at the mo, but it could/will be in the future.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan. I'll have a scan of the link - if you've used them and vouch for the product then it must be half-decent. This isn't an issue at the mo, but it could/will be in the future.

Jeff

Then before creating your section of the Pennines, I would advise drilling a pilot hole in between two sleepers at the end of each storage track in your FY where you want your locos to stop, ie before they foul the trailing turnout that returns it to the main line. If you want to fit detectors at a later date you will know where to drill to fit the infra red detector ( fits easily between two sleepers especially at SMP spacing).

• Like 1