Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Cracking job Jeff, BTW what adhesive did you use to stick the plasticard to the wood, as you will see on T, I had a small problem on the roof of my new shed. It is Georges fault you see, not mine, ha ha

All the best Andy, ho ho ho

• RMweb Premium

The outer part of the side walls was marked-up to receive a few of the many "steps" that go down each side:

post-13778-0-35058600-1355686524_thumb.jpg

The next photo shows the 2 outer side walls and the steps - made from 18mm wide, 2mm thick ply:

post-13778-0-29763300-1355686539_thumb.jpg

The steps are now fitted into position, with PVA to make the bond...

post-13778-0-09957800-1355686551_thumb.jpg

I'm now waiting for the PVA to set before the next short-cut can be put in place - using one of my favourite modelling media: "polyfilla".

More in an hour or so.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cracking job Jeff, BTW what adhesive did you use to stick the plasticard to the wood, as you will see on T, I had a small problem on the roof of my new shed. It is Georges fault you see, not mine, ha ha

All the best Andy, ho ho ho

Andy, I used evostik to bond the white plastikard to the ply. If I need a quick bond, I always use this.

If there is no hurry, I sometimes use PVA. The dressed stone is stuck on with PVA - it takes a couple of hours to stick. If I was fixing the stone on a vertical surface I'd cover both surfaces with evostik "Impact", give it ten mins to "cure" and then press them together for an instant bond.

As you will know, evostik loves eating into styrene plastics, so best not used if the plastikard or Slaters is too thin.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

This bit looks messy - and it is! PVA and polyfilla all over the place...

Polyfilla is put in between the "steps". This adds to the rigidity of the structure, but the main reason for putting it there is that it cuts down on the length of ply steps that fit in-between.... that's tomorrow's job.

post-13778-0-83372000-1355692007_thumb.jpg

With the polyfilla in place, liberal helpings of PVA are splattered all over the wood and filler, and the inside side wall is fitted. This is weighed down until the filler/PVA has set...

post-13778-0-64572000-1355692019_thumb.jpg

Jeff

This bit looks messy - and it is! PVA and polyfilla all over the place...

Polyfilla is put in between the "steps". This adds to the rigidity of the structure, but the main reason for putting it there is that it cuts down on the length of ply steps that fit in-between.... that's tomorrow's job.

post-13778-0-83372000-1355692007_thumb.jpg

With the polyfilla in place, liberal helpings of PVA are splattered all over the wood and filler, and the inside side wall is fitted. This is weighed down until the filler/PVA has set...

post-13778-0-64572000-1355692019_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Why wouldn't you just make the "steps" a nominal 20mm deep, Jeff, and stack them one atop the next, like a splayed deck of cards? Since you are building "on the flat", they would have self supported once the PVA went off.

I guess if the polyfilla helps, it's no bother, but boxing in with a couple of vertical risers between the "floors" of wood you have now would also have got you there.

Not a criticism, just food for thought....

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I am sitting here trying to read bits on here whilst watching a DVD on the Great Central, must build a main line layout and get that new Hornby 01, ho ho ho,

Catch up again later. Andy.

Andy,

And a Garrett! :D

Hope your cold is better

• RMweb Premium

Why wouldn't you just make the "steps" a nominal 20mm deep, Jeff, and stack them one atop the next, like a splayed deck of cards? Since you are building "on the flat", they would have self supported once the PVA went off.

I guess if the polyfilla helps, it's no bother, but boxing in with a couple of vertical risers between the "floors" of wood you have now would also have got you there.

Not a criticism, just food for thought....

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott.

That's exactly what I'm doing, but the polyfilla means I don't have to cut each step section to quite as long a length, if you see what I mean. Since the steps have to rise by about 80mm, the thought of cutting 40ish of them to longer length is just a waste of ply. Having the ply means I can cut the lengths short.... I hope that makes sense!!!?

Jeff

Edit: The vertical risers are about to be fitted. My goodness -you are a mind reader!! :O

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

And a Garrett! :D

Hope your cold is better

Hi Chris,

I've just been tempted with a B17. Oh dear, I feel a strong LNER incursion coming on for 2013. Maybe KL could temporarily shift to the wilds of Northumberland. After all, when the Warship and Western appear, KL will be in the Welsh marches!!

Virus appears to have receded - cheers!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's the state of play at the moment, compared to the original. I'm not skilled enough to make a perfect copy and I'm taking a few liberties...

post-13778-0-05679300-1355695998_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45666700-1355696061_thumb.jpg

The side walls are propped up against the portal - not fixed - at the mo.

Jeff

• Like 6

Hi Jeff, that tunnel mouth is someting special, I have NEVER SEEN THAT MODELLED BEFORE. Absolutly brilliant idea and you should be very pleased with it.

As for the Garrett, IF YOUR HAVING ONE, SO WILL I.

Thought for the day, Why buy one when you CAN BUY TWO, ho ho ho

Andy

Here's the state of play at the moment, compared to the original. I'm not skilled enough to make a perfect copy and I'm taking a few liberties...

I think you do yourself down there sir. It looks a perfect match for the Asylum Tunnel, just up the line from Loony Kerbside, to me. You can just see it in the bottom corner of the photo on page 86 of "A Pictorial Survey of Cumbrian Mental Health Institutions"* ;)

You're making good progress Jeff. I like the way you've done the sides. You may want to add another layer or two to the inside walls - they look quite wide in the picture.

* Well, if people have done pictorial surveys of Cambrian Signal Boxes, I'm sure there is someone interested enough to do one of these. Though it may be from the inside...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and gang,

Glad to see some activity here today.

Christmas cake is beautifully marzipanned thanks to my daughter

As the forecast in my post in Early Risers, there was much icing sugar flying everywhere but that was thanks to my over ambitious attempt at sieving it direct onto the rolling-out board. I blame it on my subconscious putting in some practice for when I come to spread scenics on the layout. :D Static grass everywhere...? Hmmmmm......! I'd better watch out if I create Great West Road Mainline Steam Centre then - green stuff would need to be planted everywhere compared with those weed-killered GWR days.... :sarcastic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattsrailwayphotos/5716699921/

Your tunnel portal is coming on a treat and it's good to see you've got your flood defences underway. Patented, of course! :declare:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I think you do yourself down there sir. It looks a perfect match for the Asylum Tunnel, just up the line from Loony Kerbside, to me. You can just see it in the bottom corner of the photo on page 86 of "A Pictorial Survey of Cumbrian Mental Health Institutions"* ;)

You're making good progress Jeff. I like the way you've done the sides. You may want to add another layer or two to the inside walls - they look quite wide in the picture.

* Well, if people have done pictorial surveys of Cambrian Signal Boxes, I'm sure there is someone interested enough to do one of these. Though it may be from the inside...

Cheers Michael. I think that's a very good idea, and it'll also "move" the inner side wall a bit further across the vertical pillar next to the portal - more in keeping with the prototype. It'll also make sticking the angled coping stones considerably easier.

I'm currently cutting the "steps" for one side - I'm 2/3 of the way there, but have had to wait for PVA to dry. You're as bad as Larry... "Loony Kerbside" ... I like it!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

I don't make cakes. The only good use for a sieve is to separate-out different grades of ballast/talus and/or (as you've suggested) static grass fibres. Totally wasted on icing sugar!! :sungum:

You'll have gathered I like working with wood. I hadn't realised how fantastic 2mm ply is until I sam Andy P's mate, George, working with it on Andy's Trebudoc thread. If you, or anyone else hasn't yet seen them - check out Trebudoc and Abbot's Mead (while you're at it, Hemyock as well - I'll have that £10 for the plug now, Jim!). Bacup, Greenfield and The Far North Line shouldn't need further recommendation to followers of this thread. Superb layouts all.

:sungum: Well Polly - guess what? Yes, it's coffee time then it's out with the Stanley knife again.

Andy - a B17 and two class 40s is enough for this week! (have you considered shunting a Blue Pullman on Glen Roy? :jester: Ho ho ho!!!

Jeff

Those capping stones across the top may project out fromnt he face of the sidewall, Jeff...

I'd also see if you can find a more head-on view: I suspect the side wall is not vertical, but canted. Check the width of the column of stones either side of the portal at both the top and bottom of the portal.

Regards

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those capping stones across the top may project out fromnt he face of the sidewall, Jeff...

I'd also see if you can find a more head-on view: I suspect the side wall is not vertical, but canted. Check the width of the column of stones either side of the portal at both the top and bottom of the portal.

Regards

Scott

Scott, you are a civil engineering genius. Well, that is your profession.

You are right on both counts. I was aware that the coping stones protruded on the side walls. But I certainly hadn't noticed the cant. Look at this photo...

post-13778-0-10461100-1355702027.jpg

The side walls clearly tilt outwards - or am I seeing things? I'll figure out a way to incorporate this - I reckon good old polyfilla makes that an easy job! Please confirm that I'm not seeing things!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

I agree they are sloping outwards - that appears to be pretty standard when retaining soil behind a wall. Given the stream beds look to be horizontal, and their walls vertical, it may be easier to just add a front to the sidewalls, with a bit of packing at the bottom to give the slope.

I'm not convinced the coping stones overhang by that much - looks to be less than they are thick.

I wonder what's behind the main face of the tunnel - it looks like the drain may carry on across the back - but I don't recall seeing a photo from a suitable angle to check.

• RMweb Premium

I agree they are sloping outwards - that appears to be pretty standard when retaining soil behind a wall. Given the stream beds look to be horizontal, and their walls vertical, it may be easier to just add a front to the sidewalls, with a bit of packing at the bottom to give the slope.

I'm not convinced the coping stones overhang by that much - looks to be less than they are thick.

I wonder what's behind the main face of the tunnel - it looks like the drain may carry on across the back - but I don't recall seeing a photo from a suitable angle to check.

Yes, I'm going to assume that that is the case. And yes, you are right about the rear photos - I've not seen one anywhere. I guess it's inaccessible to the normal rail enthusiast.

I'm going to thicken up the sidewalls - as you suggested, so the inclusion of the cant should be straightforward. I'm enjoying building this - makes a change from all those bl**dy wires!!

Cheers Michael - hope you're having a lovely time in Edinburgh - or are you back home?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Can i say that for someone who hasn't done much scratchbuilding before, you are a natural!

Yes you are correct that the wing walls are canted backwards, it helps to resist the thrust of the land around it! It certainly looks the business, and with the cant and the wing walls getting narrower towards the portal (again helping with the thrust of the land) it is looking the business! (I'm not sure I explained that very well. The wing walls start at their lowest point (ie furthest from the portal) at trackbed width (TW) + say 6 feet apart, but when they are at the portal they are TW + say 2 feet apart. (Guess at measurements from top of head, not even looking at the photo above!). Does that make sense?

I've just been gathering up bits from my locker, just in case I get to do some modelling over Christmas. Tonights my last shift until just before New Year, so I won't be making many appreances.

Andy g

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I'm guessing that there are no photos as you wouldn't see the loco's number would you! Anyway looking at the photos above I think that the watercourse starts being walled in (very roughly looking at it) above the left side of the portal, with it being guided into the wing wall drains, I think on both sides (you can just see the back of the drain going behind the top right of the portal).

What are you going to use for the water gushing down the gulley? I've never done water and to be honest it scares me!

Andy G

Yes, back home this evening - some of us have work in the morning :nono: - early enough to do a quick bit of baseboard abuse for the club layout though...

Andy - you mean that the walls aren't parallel to the track, but diverge as they get further away from the portal? I have to admit I hadn't noticed that one, but it's obvious now you say so...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Where does the water go? It certainly makes it down to the formation on the left hand side (through a 90* turn in the wing wall) but the right hand side is a little more difficult to see. Do they just go into culverts heading towards the river bridge seen in the old photos that I linked to about 20 odd pages ago? Thats my guess, as the stream or whatever that is there would probably be the easiest place to get rid of it.

Maybe Jeff you could have a 'gusher' coming out of the side of your drop board by the viaduct? That would look quite impressive!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy - you mean that the walls aren't parallel to the track, but diverge as they get further away from the portal? I have to admit I hadn't noticed that one, but it's obvious now you say so...

Thats it, now why couldn't I have said it like that?

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

How can I ever complain about the input I get on here.

Michael, Andy - brilliant!

So now I have canted walls with divergence of the wing walls. Thanks for that. As I said, I'm NOT trying to make a direct copy - BUT I may as well incorporate "good practice"!!

Andy - have a lovely Christmas with your family. I'll be away at my dads later this week, so my appearances will be restricted too - he's not got internet so I have to drive down the road to find a wi-fi spot.

Cheers lads. Much appreciated observations!!

Jeff