Ontracks Taff Vale & GWR 0-6-0T Locomotives

dcroz

Ontracks have announced a newly tooled (body) to represent a Taff Vale 0-6-0T - full details and images were given in their latest newsletter and also on their website. The model seems to be based on the Hornby Electotren moulding that has previously appeared in NCB livery:

http://tinyurl.com/6ra723n

Essentially:

The Model:

We will produce two versions of the loco - one as No294 in typical TVR livery and a second in an initial GWR livery prior to scrapping.

The model will feature our slow speed motor and chassis and also a DCC Socket. A DCC Fitted version will allow you to operate the loco on your DCC system straight away too.

The production run is Limited to 500 pieces and like the NCB loco, pre-orders are recommended to ensure you obtain the quantity you require. As per the NCB loco we are confident the models will arrive on time as our development is well advanced. At least one model will be released before Christmas. Model will be packaged in Electrotren packaging with Hornby couplings pre-fitted and compatible with Hornby and Bachmann models.

The price will again be £49.99 retail, or £79.99 for the DCC Fitted option.

However, after reading through the blurb, still not sure whether this is "real" 00 scale or not, but an interesting development.

David

One to watch.From the numbers given it represents TVR E class ,a class of 2 locos converted from Sharp Stewart tender engines.Both survived to the grouping,one GWR 795 ,lasted until 1927.Picture of prototype

http://archive.rhond...YWlsIjt9&pg=355

Difficult to know at the moment how accurate the loco will be to prototype-has anyone any experience of their NCB loco?

Looking at the drawing compared to the photo,not very much like it at all!Outside cylinders would have to go for a start,then the dome resited and much more,but will wait until model photos turn up before passing judgement

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The NCB loco also only bore a passing resemblance to the prototype. Comparing the photograph with the drawing of the new loco, I think we will have to thank our stars they get the livery correct, because everything from the cab shape forward is totally wrong.

This is really train set material, but sadly not at train set price.

They seem to be very fuzzy about the actual scale - probably HO but they simply say - "Hornby, Bachmann and Peco Compatible" - It could be O gauge with that description :)

I remember my hopes being crushed when the final details about the NCB loco came out - I had been hoping for a "proper" modern standard RTR industrial loco, not a rehashed HO scale continental model, albeit slightly anglicised.

David

• RMweb Premium

Well it might not look very Taff Vale, I believe it's based on a Spanish prototype, but if I remember correctly said Spanish loco was a British export andd therfore a better bet for the UK market than the current On Tracks NCB tank. To my mind it looks as though it would fit well with a freelance light railway theme.

One to watch.From the numbers given it represents TVR E class ,a class of 2 locos converted from Sharp Stewart tender engines.Both survived to the grouping,one GWR 795 ,lasted until 1927.Picture of prototype

http://archive.rhond...YWlsIjt9&pg=355

Difficult to know at the moment how accurate the loco will be to prototype-has anyone any experience of their NCB loco?

Looking at the drawing compared to the photo,not very much like it at all!Outside cylinders would have to go for a start,then the dome resited and much more,but will wait until model photos turn up before passing judgement

Jamie

According to my sources (Russell and RCTS Part Ten), 796 (ex TV 265) lasted to 1927 as pilot at Cardiff West, while 795 (ex TV 264) may have got its number plates while sitting in the scrap line at Swindon in 1923. RCTS has a photo of 264 in TVR livery, while Russell has a photo of 796 in GWR livery with a GWR safety valve bonnet.

Neither of them, nor TV 262/263 (the other members of the class, discarded in 1906) bore any resemblance to the model shown, apart from being 0-6-0 saddle tanks.

The locos were converted from 0-6-0 tender engines in 1891-2 (RCTS).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

H0!! Why if it's aimed at the British market?

It isn't! Or at least, the original model isn't - it's produced for Hornby International and marketed under the 'Electrotren' brand; as it's a model of a Spanish loco it will presumably be aimed at the Spanish market. Nevertheless, the real loco was bulit by a British manufacturer and as such, I would have thought it woldn't look out of place in a British industrial / light railway scenario; possibly with small elderly prototypes such as this, the scale difference would be less noticeable.

• 1 year later...

Mine arrived this morning. HO and so quite small - see photo alongside Ratio coach for scale comparison. It runs extremely smoothly however and does not look hugely out of place with a rake of four-wheelers. It won't be to everyone's taste but at £46 it's quite good value. The chassis will be appreciated by some too no doubt.

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr250/Cefnbryn/003_zpsd7e08120.jpg

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr250/Cefnbryn/004_zps6349d641.jpg

Tony

Hi All,

Take one NCB loco.

Perform a 'bodyectomy'.

Add etched brass 1361 class kit.

Simmer lightly over a hot soldering iron.

Lashings of paint, a pinch of transfers and a smattering of weathering...

post-14393-0-79563300-1381527908_thumb.jpg

A great little chassis really - the buffer height lines up perfectly with OO stock. The full write up is on Little Didcot for those not easily bored!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Neal,

I have said this before. OK, you would need to fund some body moulds and a new driver's side cross head with a pump rod on it but the only modifications I made to the chassis was to pull the weights off (they are just fixed on with double sided tape) and I took off the DCC circuit board as it wont go in the smokebox so that would be a step or two less to make it! The wheels are not quite right either but that is a component that could be easily changed.

You could then do the 1361, 1366 and the original 1392 class machines. Minor changes and this opens out major possibilities. These classes are ALWAYS on people's wish lists for GWR classes. Someone could either:

1) Approach Hornby with a wad of cash.

2) Get enterprising and make a kit - mine was the last of the etched Peter Kay kits to still have all of its castings available from the man himself. 3D printing anyone? I soldered a Gibson handrail knob in place to modify the cross head...

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Is that the NCB or the GWR chassis? or are they the same? I bought a K's 1361 on an 0-4-0 chassis from E-bay with the intention of putting it on an 0-6-0 chassis; this looks like a good way to go.  I was also wondering if I could hack/convert the GWR/TV ST into a semblance of Kidwelly that worked the Weymouth Quay line.

Pete

Hi Pete,

The chassis I think is the same - mine came from an NCB version but the GWR one doesn't look different to my eye at least!

I have no idea about Kidwelly but it is the ideal chassis for the 1361 class. I have no idea what the underside of the K's white metal body is like so I can't comment further about its compatibility with that particular kit.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

I visited the Ontracks premises last Thursday to collect a Fleischmann item I had ordered, and took the opportunity to mention the GWR pannier/saddle tank potential for the Electrotren chassis. The details were duly noted down by the young lady, so they are aware of it. If they don't do it, then Kernow Models ought to. It seems like too good a chance to miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived