A couple more trees for Netherhope/ Balcombe.

• RMweb Gold

Still experimenting with tree making as Balcombe will need around sixty plus! All the early experimental efforts used on Netherhope will be used at the back of Balcombe Viaduct layout as I'm only 75% happy with them so far. Hopefully the more that I make the better they will be.

This one is the first silver birch that I've tried. Still not quite right yet. Too thick foliage I feel and the trunk needs to be a lighter colour, also as important is getting the armature right as with a silver birch all the branches are quite visible so a more detailed one is called for. This one turned out a bit on the large size, although they do exist at 20m+ tall, I've never seen examples of that size. They are more like 5 >10m around here, so some smaller ones will be next.

post-6728-0-24081400-1340049449.jpg

Not sure what sort this one is yet!

post-6728-0-40927100-1340049531.jpg

Hi John,

Try a very light and fine scatter on a postiche (dolls hair) base this base should be light and airy and made away from the armature add the scatter (don't put to much glue on the postiche I suggest a matte medium sprayed on with the lightest of touches) and leave to dry .This can then be stuck to the branches much as a tree grows branch by branch.Talking of branches whilst the tree is naked turn the ends of the branches down a little this will help to make the finished tree look light and airy.Some examples of birches appear on my website: www.simplyscenery .com

Tony H.

Lovely fine work John; I think the silver birch just needs to be thinner; I can grab you some assorted shots of the real thing if you need more. have you got Mr Gravett's excellent tome? It certainly helps with different tree species.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice John.

Of course you post this when I am away from home and cannot pop out to take a few photos. I have plenty of silver birches in the garden. You are right about the height. I have one that I reckon is 59' tall. The problem is that is it dead and I have to get round to felling it. From memory the branches that go out from the stem in an upright direction need to be much more visible. As others have said the foliage is too dense. Regarding the colour the bark can look almost white in bright sunshine and again from memory a much greater area of trunk and branch is visible than in the case of say an oak tree. There are also very small patches of dark brown or even orange where the resin is visible in patches coming through the bark.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Hi John.

I would recommend taking a look here:

http://www.railroad-...011&whichpage=3

And here:

http://www.modelrail...read.php?t=5015

For tree making tips. This chaps work is really quite impressive!

Tom.

Grove Den/Scots Pine's (the same chap?) work is amazingly good. Thanks for the link Tom.

Now one of those would present a challenge to get right!

I'm eagerly awaiting Gordon G's follow up book on conifers etc..

As others have said the foliage is too dense. Regarding the colour the bark can look almost white in bright sunshine and again from memory a much greater area of trunk and branch is visible than in the case of say an oak tree. There are also very small patches of dark brown or even orange where the resin is visible in patches coming through the bark.

Bernard

Thanks both for kind words, comments and useful observations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another one. This time It's an attempt at a sycamore, copied from one nearby.

Unlike locos, buildings, trackwork etc.. trees can only ever be an impression which can sometimes be frustrating when you think that you've got right only to find it looks all wrong after looking long and hard at it!

post-6728-0-56103400-1340886493.jpg

Looking downwards for a closer look. Keeping the 'open and airy' is the imperative. Needs some careful pruning at some of the ends!

post-6728-0-65314000-1340886576.jpg

That's truly superb John!

I can grab you some assorted shots of the real thing if you need more.

Thus inspired I went up onto a very soggy Cannock Chase to grab some pics of Silver Birch of varying stages of development from 7' youngsters to 40'-50' mature specimens through to weak or dying specimens. As you'll see there's a variety of shapes, amount of foliage and relative droopiness. It's worth noting that there are some with multiple trunks from the same root and also that mature trees are quite content to grow within 4'-6- of each other.

Good luck!

Click for higher resolution, the sharpness and brightness have been adjusted to try and highlight the trees.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Andy for your kind words. and for the brilliant snaps.

I hope that you didn't get soggy feet!

A superb mix of types and sizes. They will be very useful indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just recovering from two weeks of 'box watching'. Tried to do some work/modelling but just as work was started, something good came on, so many armatures were wound whilst watching. (a bit like knitting I suppose!). I find that when using the postiche (GG's method) the more and the finer that you can make the armature the better. For the sea foam method it's not quite so necessary.

They've been covered with a bark mix consisting of 'Artex' powder, PVA & a little black poster paint. More needs applying on some that are going to be used at 'viewing distance' to cover the twisted wire that is still visible. I find that quite a few coats, carefully applied, are needed for this before they disappear (it can be a pain). I don't think that you need to worry too much however in many cases, as it depends on where the tree will be positioned on the layout.

As we have a need for a rather large number of them for Balcombe Viaduct, Balcombe Station, Lewes and all the bits in between, I'm planning to build up a 'tree bank' so that they can be used on these (and others) as exhibition requirements dictate.

Painting them with a mixture of acrylics will be next and some of the more 'iffy' examples will be relegated to the a position at the rear for general blending in.

Something that I've learnt just from observation is that a lot of trees don't have a single trunk structure, as one would normally think, but break from ground level or just above, ash particularly and also silver birch amongst others.

Most of them will be 'foliated' using Gordon G's methods from his essential book, others will be prepared using my own method of incorporating sea foam pieces attached to the armature (see example earlier in this thread #10) and then covered with a mixture of ground foam colours.

The ones at the back are approximately 25cm high.

post-6728-0-11161300-1344941989_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-04238300-1344942555_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-66162300-1344942572_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-77986000-1344942588_thumb.jpg

Great work Res!

You can see a point I made earlier in some of Andy's pics, how the further back you go, the 'denser' the tree becomes, even relatively spindly ones!

A good example above is the 'naked' birch with virtually a 'solid' mass of green behind.

Even fairly close to the trees are more solid than we usually model.

MAny of the pics above are good examples of this, something which is often overlooked (well imho anyway! :) )

• RMweb Gold

You can see a point I made earlier in some of Andy's pics, how the further back you go, the 'denser' the tree becomes, even relatively spindly ones!

Thanks Neil.

Andy's snaps have proved very useful. The few silver birches around here are all smallish ones planted in 'civic' schemes, not the large wild variety in the pictures.

• RMweb Gold

Took a couple of snaps of the woods nearby to illustrate the colour variety and texture differences.

post-6728-0-50716000-1345211646.jpg

The aim is to try to get the 'texture effect' and colour as close as possible to the subject tree(s)

The colour on the model needs to be less yellow-green and a touch more blue-green.

post-6728-0-23526000-1345211737.jpg post-6728-0-36861900-1345211875.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Actually, if you look centre-top of your first picture, there is a shade of green that is pretty darn close to that of your model. Nature does various greens according to species, season and rainfall that year. Mixing the shades slightly, tree to tree, will give the best impression, I think.

• RMweb Gold

John brought the large tree in to DRAG last week, and posing it next to the test track, it just goes to show how large full size trees are when compared with trains...

Yes, this one is a scale 70ft (ignoring the mounting spigot).

Archived