Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Further to derailed shunter 15104.

There's an Early BR model of 15100 at post #25 (the test etch Judith Edge model) on Mike Edge's Cwmafon thread.

Judith Edge Kit, English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0DE : http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/135.

Comparing the model with the picture of 15104 in MR, it looks a reasonable match if I decide to model the incident although I can always send in an 08 as a substitute in the meantime.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please do.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

4079 Pendennis-to-be (4073 Caerphilly Castle) arrived yesterday pipped to the post by the Haynes Castle Class Owners Workshop Manual which came earlier in the week.  :yahoo: There's also the 61xx 6106-to-be in the post.  This is for the Thames Valley Tour, which was featured in the excellent article on Staines West in March's Steam World, with 9773, "Southall's celebrity" (Chris Leigh's wonderful description), in full colour across the embankment on the branchline.  Definitely one for modelling the bank on GWRd's branch cutting.

When I calm down, I shall have to start saving the pennies again...  :O

because...I've been looking at the Bachmann announcements thread on here and have noted there's a lot to choose from:

A 94xx that could provide an example to finish the part built kit I bought a while ago

BR MK2A Brake First Corridor (BFK) to convert to WCRC support coaches for a couple of locos though I might just use the one on the Duchess of Sutherland which is due mid June or after.

71000 Duke of Gloucester should have MK2A BFK W17041, Maroon and

70013 Oliver Cromwell Mk2A BFK 14099, Maroon.

(Support coach info gratefully obtained from http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72315-support-coaches/)

The 90 Tonne JGA Bogie Hopper Wagon RMC (weathered) mentioned a couple of posts above.  These or the BFKs?  :scratchhead:  Eeney meeney miny moe... 

And the FFA/FGA flats would be useful, without the prescribed containers, for the yellow waste train.

But I would really love to see the (Great Western Preservation Society's) Rapier steam crane lurking around the shed.

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=14017

http://nippy1975.railpic.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=564

Before all that, though, is 6998 Burton Agnes Hall-to-be, the long awaited 6988 Swithland Hall.  This was, initially, going to become 6967 Willesley Hall but, having discovered that 6998 was allocated to 81C before withdrawal (22/06/1964 -19/09/1965), I finally decided to go for the preservation option.  Well, that is the general theme, isn't it?

Choices.  Choices.

Hopefully, they won't all arrive at once like the lineup of 207 buses on Station Bridge. :mosking:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

61xx 6106-to-be arrived lunchtime.  :sungum:

I already have its stablemate, 6132 which I didn't have the heart to put aside for re-numbering so the only option was to wait until another one turned up. 

Apart from a 47xx in the offing, I have the principal residents and visitors wanted so I can now concentrate on getting a workable track plan so I hope you're paying attention :yes: because you're going to have to help me out here, if not with technicalities then with lots of encouragement, etc, etc.   :help:

• Like 5

Hi Polly, great to see your going to show us your Track Plan and get something running soon.

I had 2 days at Bala and was going to stop off at Corwen on the way there, but didn't, then I was going to stop on the way home and still didn't, but it doesn't look like there's going to be much to see there anyway.

Good luck and more pics soon please.

All the best to you and Ray.

• Like 2

Hi Polly and Ray,

I got my No. 4073 to be No. 4079 as well and I have a week off next week...

Guess what (amongst one or two other bits) I am going to be up to?

I have my eye on a new Bachmann Modified Hall as well. I am going for a black one to do No. 6998 as it's more 'my era' but they look really nice!

Glad that the layout is progressing well and I look forward to the pictures sometime soon. I don't know if I will be much help but I will keep looking in as and when.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, great to see your going to show us your Track Plan and get something running soon.

I had 2 days at Bala and was going to stop off at Corwen on the way there, but didn't, then I was going to stop on the way home and still didn't, but it doesn't look like there's going to be much to see there anyway.

Good luck and more pics soon please.

All the best to you and Ray.

Hi Andy,

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Bala.  Did you get a ride on the railway? [http://bala-lake-railway.co.uk/]

At Corwen, there's a station building (ticket office and info desk) and a platform.  That's it, in railway terms, until a train or special event comes along.  During the SSSIV weekends there were a few tents etc and the chapel museum was open.  The link between the station and public car park has been done quite nicely, though I expect the footpath will have to be more substantial if it's to survive the public and weather conditions.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

Hi Andy,

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Bala.  Did you get a ride on the railway? [http://bala-lake-railway.co.uk/]

At Corwen, there's a station building (ticket office and info desk) and a platform.  That's it, in railway terms, until a train or special event comes along.  During the SSSIV weekends there were a few tents etc and the chapel museum was open.  The link between the station and public car park has been done quite nicely, though I expect the footpath will have to be more substantial if it's to survive the public and weather conditions.

Hi Polly, no ride on the Trains this time, last time I was there in 2011, Julian Birely let me have a ride in the DIRECTORS SALOON the length of the line and back, I counted the sleepers pounding my BUM with no suspension.

post-9335-0-64842300-1428789440_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06569900-1428789517_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly and Ray,

I got my No. 4073 to be No. 4079 as well and I have a week off next week...

Guess what (amongst one or two other bits) I am going to be up to?

I have my eye on a new Bachmann Modified Hall as well. I am going for a black one to do No. 6998 as it's more 'my era' but they look really nice!

Glad that the layout is progressing well and I look forward to the pictures sometime soon. I don't know if I will be much help but I will keep looking in as and when.

All the best,

Castle

Thanks Castle, for the tip about using Caerphilly as a donor for Pendennis.

When my Caerphilly Castle eventually arrived I was really disappointed that I was going to do a revamp on it.  How could I do such a thing?  The outer box is just superb to start with, very classy, very grown up, less is more design.  Loved it but then I did train as a graphic designer.  Then a quick look through the box window and how could I do that?  After all, I fell in love with this beauty in the Science Museum about the time I stopped growing (upwards, that is).  But I'm sure she won't mind even if I have to move up to a larger tender.

When Swithland Hall was first announced it seemed there was going to be a choice of tender: Collett or Hawksworth and that I'd have to find the right supplier to get the right tender.  Then, as time passed, it was determined that it would carry the Hawksworth tender so problem solved - I thought!  This lady was to replicate Willesley Hall.  But wait a minute.  Didn't I then change my mind?  It's going to be Burton Agnes Hall.  Oh help!  What's her tender? Quick google to find it was a Hawksworth as well.  Phew!  But I shall have to find a stand-in for Willesley Hall in 1963 such as Resolven Grange since Burton Agnes Hall didn't appear until 1965.  Exciting game, this and Swithland Hall is still in the due queue!

It's off to bed now so if any of you are still up, I bid you good night.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, no ride on the Trains this time, last time I was there in 2011, Julian Bryerly let me have a ride in the DIRECTORS SALOON the length of the line and back, I counted the sleepers pounding my BUM with no suspension.

attachicon.gifDSCF1134.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1189.jpg

I got on a wooden interior coach on the Welsh Highland a few years ago with mum.  We got off at the next station and transferred to a more comfy one!  You have my sympathies.

• Like 2

Hi Polly,

That's right about the 69's tender as preserved and as she would have been in her late BR period. The loco (I am told by my informants at 81E) was built with a Collet version in two which is counter initiative in some ways for such a late loco but they almost always took the next available tender in the works...

Guess what tender my early version of her has got? No, it doesn't start with a C...

Still, it is hoped to have her repainted sometime soon into a new livery for static display and the lined black is one we haven't got in the toy box so who knows - perhaps my model will come round to being right in the end! The idea has always been to tell as many different stories told by machines and liveries as possible so that would be a good one in my book.

I too drooled over No.4073 as a child. I even have a badge somewhere that says something along the lines of 'I've seen Caerphilly Castle at the Science Museum" from a school trip way back when! It must have made some sort of impression considering what I do now! It was nice to be able to include a few pictures of her both as preserved and in service in the book.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

Hi Polly, I have put two Videos of the Bala Lake Railway in the Lunester Lounge in posts 8806 and 8809, 8809 is from my trip in the Quarry Directors Saloon in Nov 2011.

I hope you enjoy them.

• RMweb Premium

The Glyn Valley coach on the Talyllyn isn't the most enjoyable ride, either.  It is also so noisy conversation is almost impossible.

Hi Mike.  It wasn't the coach we went on a few years back, then. (10 years ago, in fact. A significant wedding anniversary!)  We had a lovely ride. We stopped off at one of the stations for the walk through the woods to the cascading stream.  Fabulous.  Must do it again sometime.  The valley is fantastic too.  The trouble was the day.  A Monday - out of season and everything other than the railway Closed /Wedi Cau!

Andy.  Thanks for the video links.  What a lovely surprise, capturing the loco movements at the end of the line.

Hi Polly,

That's right about the 69's tender as preserved and as she would have been in her late BR period. The loco (I am told by my informants at 81E) was built with a Collet version in two which is counter initiative in some ways for such a late loco but they almost always took the next available tender in the works...

Guess what tender my early version of her has got? No, it doesn't start with a C...

Still, it is hoped to have her repainted sometime soon into a new livery for static display and the lined black is one we haven't got in the toy box so who knows - perhaps my model will come round to being right in the end! The idea has always been to tell as many different stories told by machines and liveries as possible so that would be a good one in my book.

I too drooled over No.4073 as a child. I even have a badge somewhere that says something along the lines of 'I've seen Caerphilly Castle at the Science Museum" from a school trip way back when! It must have made some sort of impression considering what I do now! It was nice to be able to include a few pictures of her both as preserved and in service in the book.

All the best,

Castle

Another big toy on display.  That will incur a visit or two. 

I love these different stories.  I think that's why doing the different eras appeal so much.  GWRd is fortunate in that 6128 and 1474 were both still in early black livery in 1963.  The GWR period (more of a hazy flash back) will span the decades and will include a representation of the different liveries and styles including an early 20th century steam railmotor with a 1930s Southall No. if the model goes ahead according to plan.  Two birds with one stone or rather two lumps of coal with one shovel!  The layout will try and do the same so the railmotor shed will stay but I'm now thinking that the arched coal ramp will go in favour of a diesel road into a 5 road shed of BR days.  This will not only give me a wider shed with the diesel road canopy but also the headshunt with a class 121 at the base of the footbridge as in the photo of the 1961 goods train coming up the branchline.  To compensate, I have so far included things like a double slip at the signal box end of the station from an early photo, the loop turnout at the road bridge end and the turntable will have to be near the end of the shed as in GWR days. No grand BR extension here!

Of concern has been the fiddleyards.  I think a solution for the branch line will be to carry it down in front of the layout instead of underneath and scenic it (ballast and a grassy bank - nothing elaborate!).  That will be visually better for me when playing trains operating.  It may also be possible to bring the other fiddleyard round the corner from the kick back siding and down under the station onto a traverser.  Time will tell.

Hope my ramblings make sense.

Edit:  Delete duplicated sentence.
Edited by southern42
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning all.

There's also the 61xx 6106-to-be in the post.  This is for the Thames Valley Tour, which was featured in the excellent article on Staines West in March's Steam World, with 9773, "Southall's celebrity" (Chris Leigh's wonderful description), in full colour across the embankment on the branchline.  Definitely one for modelling the bank on GWRd's branch cutting.

Blow me, just found (Sunday, actually) Chris Leigh's article in Model Rail on transforming an 8750 into Thames Valley Tour's #9773.  It's only taken me a month to open MR and that was after getting the current issue!  Handy supplement on the 9F as well (Western's this month).  Shopping list getting longer....still, a few exhibitions coming up so, hopefully, I'll pick up a few things without having to pay postage.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

I didn't know about that one.  With all the work going on with the shed and kitchen, I've not been keeping up to date as you can see by how long it's taken me to get round to reading the magazines . :read:

We'll have to let you know.  The exhibition line up looks interesting and also has a few of my favourites.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

An interlude during home improvements.

Great Western Echo arrived in the post lunchtime. The new format not only looks superb but the top cover headline got me all excited: A Southall engineman recalls the 47XX.  So, I carefully strolled through page...after page...after page...I must have missed it...nope...keep going...right on the last page.  Ray Ballinger's the name, a year to the month younger than my mum who grew up just the other side of the Hayes-Southall boundary.  I now have a Southall driver for Great West Road's 4706 Night Owl (due 2016).  I wonder if I'll need a short or a tall driver (Pete Goss figure or Mike Pett? or maybe Monty's Models or Aiden Campbell?  or another?  What a choice!), right handed though, that's for sure.  He'll also have a bump on his head...you'll have to read the article or know your 47s!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92905-Heljan-gwr-47xx-night-owl/

There's also a letter on the previous page, Southall memories,  which includes a mention of the AEC.  There are some useful words for GWRd too: I used the footbridge...often stopping to observe engines waiting beneath.  Nice one.

Now, there's a handy word when it looks as though nothing's happening to/on the layout:  "Waiting!"

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Further to derailed shunter 15104.

There's an Early BR model of 15100 at post #25 (the test etch Judith Edge model) on Mike Edge's Cwmafon thread.

Judith Edge Kit, English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0DE : http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/135.

Comparing the model with the picture of 15104 in MR, it looks a reasonable match if I decide to model the incident although I can always send in an 08 as a substitute in the meantime.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please do.

Hi All.

Further, again, to the derailed shunter.

I've just been going through a pile of magazines which still need articles removing for safe keeping, one of which is the MR article on shunting trucks (Sept 2013).  The caption on the Southall derailment definitely refers to No. 15104 but the last number, barely visible down the side of the handrail, didn't look like a "4" under the magnifying glass.  Hmm.  I took the opportunity to look it up on the web.  This loco was allocated to Cardiff East Dock.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=15104&type=D&loco=15104

So, what was at Southall, then?  I used the phone camera so I could zoom-in on the number on the MR photo to check this out.  That, definitely, does not look like a "4."

post-14049-0-34085200-1432679613.jpg

It would appear that this is actually 15100 which was allocated to Southall from Swindon 06/10/1962 before returning to Swindon 31/08/1963.  (Had the derailment anything to do with this?)

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=15100&loco=15100

Although only partially in view, this "0" looks to be a different shape to the first one.

The following link (Swindon at a later date) confirms this but was it a later replacement after the initial change to BR livery or has it just been touched up?  The early crest is clearly visible, here.  https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5308/5669988871_76d8e0ba50_b.jpg

Both zeros are the same around 1960: https://flic.kr/p/a6YMzP

I guess this view of 15100 at Swindon Works 24th April 1960 has something to do with it! : https://flic.kr/p/qegd4G

It is not just a number difference.  It is also a Class difference, 15100 being a D3/10 (the only one), 15104 being a D3/11 (1 of 6 built).  The Judith Edge kit being Southall's 15100 makes it most desirable, indeed a must have.  Something to look forward to.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Go on Polly you know you want the Judith Edge kit......it looks nice built up but Mike won't let me weather his one he built for the display case/ Cwmafon. :-(

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  Rain stopped play jungle clearance garden tidying this afternoon so a chance for a bit on here.

Go on Polly you know you want the Judith Edge kit......it looks nice built up but Mike won't let me weather his one he built for the display case/ Cwmafon. :-(
Baz

Baz, Ray has his eye on it - the magic word being "brass" - so I believe I'll shortly be ordering one.  I could let you do your best on it when it's finished... after all, it will be a working model - so long as it doesn't end up in a derailment incident... :D

More stuff on our 15100.

An intriguing feature of the derailment photo in MR is the wooden wheel stop in front of the derailed engine and what looks like a hefty bar / tool / broken part on the ground.

Does anyone know what it is, please?

Also, was this a standard GWR/BR style / arrangement of wheel stop?

post-14049-0-07609600-1432724509.jpg

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a good 'un for a GWRd incident!

On the photo of the 1960 engine ( https://flic.kr/p/a6YMzP, I repeat the link for convenience ) the English Electric-Hawthorne Leslie works plate below the number is readable and carries the date 1935.  [in service as GWR 2 on 30th April 1936.]  The photo also shows the BR crest further forward than it was in 1962.  Interesting why it didn't receive the late crest as it was being replaced, anyway.

• Like 4

So, your thinking of modelling a derailment, so that at Exhibitions you wont actually need to run anything, and will only need to bring ONE Derailed Loco? :scared:

hahahhahahh

All the best Polly, and regards to the poor long suffering husband of yours, :O  Young Ray. :no:  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, your thinking of modelling a derailment, so that at Exhibitions you wont actually need to run anything, and will only need to bring ONE Derailed Loco? :scared:

hahahhahahh

All the best Polly, and regards to the poor long suffering husband of yours, :O  Young Ray. :no:  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:

The sidings running alongside the platform roads might be entertaining.   :yes:

Er...Hum...No shunting, then?  No Welsh coal wagons...rubber tyres...biscuits.... 

Wot? No biscuits?   :cry:

All the best to you Andy and Dee

P.S. Send for the crane....

518380539_9484d31cd9_z.jpg

Southall Main shed steam crane. by Dashman1964, on Flickr

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all. A bit of an update on progress.

On the 13th June this year, we jumped aboard Whistling Ghost III hauled by 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe on a quick getaway from Stourbridge Junction to Minehead.  With the model of 5043 due out soon, I thought it might be a good time to look up some train movements at Southall 2011. 

On 17th September 2011, Castle Class 5043 is just one of two locomotives hauling tour trains in and out of Southall.  The other is 60019 Bittern, running as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand.  I soon discovered it just wasn’t as simple as that with the end result that there could be an interesting set of movements, with the stock I have, for GWRd (especially the fiddle yard!) for a month’s working, if I can work it out!  Then…do I follow it through with constructing movements for every month of the year?!  April will definitely be covered: Great Britain IV featured and 60019 obtained its 4492 cab plates.

I have separate locos to represent 90019 Bittern and as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand so I will number them as they will appear on GWRd so that I don’t get confused!  Here it will be 4492

So far, September looks like this.  I'm still collating information so that I can work out what is around and what isn't, and how it all changes.

In short, 4492 departs Southall 30th August and returns 15th September for the tour on the 17th.

Other locos coming and going in September are: Diesels 33207 47270 47500  Steam 30777 34067 60163 70000 70013

30th August 2011 - including positioning moves and how it would work on GWRd.

4492 47270 ECS Southall-Victoria // Early morning  [GWRd: 47270 on rear, Shed to relief platform to fiddle yard - morning scene]
4492 The Dorset Express Victoria-Weymouth 

4492 banks the return train from Weymouth hauled by 34067 Tangmere 

4492 detaches at Eastleigh leaving 34067 to return to Waterloo.

34067 47500 ECS Waterloo-Southall // Late evening  [GWRd: 34067 on rear, Fiddle yard to relief platform to shed - night scene]

31st August 2011

4492 departs Eastleigh to haul The Bath Spa Express and return

1st September

4492 departs Eastleigh for the Swanage Railway - Gala 9th-11th September

2nd September

30777 & 70013, 2 support coaches NRM-Southall: Terminated at Newark due to lineside fires.

3rd September

Diesel tows 70013, 2 support coaches Newark-Southall

34067 70000 LE Southall-Greenford-Southall (locomotive turning for the next day's tour)

4th - 6th September

47500, 34067 and 70000.Steam Dreams, The Atlantic Coast Express, associated light engine and ECS movements and locomotive turning.

8th September

60163: Bishops Lydeard-Southall

13 September

47500, 70013 Dorset Coast Express

14 September

4492 Bath Spa Express

15 September

4492 returns with double tender and support coach Botaurus to Southall

33207 Jim Martin arrives at Southall with a single coach from Carnforth.

16th September

60163 Tornado (in BR green) runs with its support coach from Southall to Barrow Hill via the Midland main line in the afternoon.

(21st September 60163 at Glasgow Central for the Caledonian Tornado Crewe-Glasgow Central)

So, we come to the morning of

17th September

4492 (joined by 5029 Nunney Castle Taunton-Plymouth) departs for Euston to haul The Mayflower tour.

5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, hauls The Cathedrals Express Tyseley-Paddington, arrives at Southall depot in the afternoon and departs 1 hour 24 minutes later.

4492 returns from Paddington late evening.

22nd September

47500 hauls 12 empty coaches from Eastleigh to Southall depot.  [GWRd: 4 ECS if I'm lucky but probably a fixed set of 3]

26th September

34067 support coach Carnforth-Southall

27th September

70000 support coach Bishops Lydeard WSR-Eastleigh

Returns to Southall 6th October

28th September

47500, 34067 Sussex Belle (Victoria-Hastings)

70000 from Eastleigh, Bath Spa Express  (Away)

30 September

60163 (from Southall?) VSOE Golden Age of Travel (Victoria-Shalford)

Some links.

5043 looking splendid in Southall yard. http://rcts.org.uk/about/news/show.htm?serial=11&img=5043%20Southall%20MPD%2011Dec10

The Green Train on the left - a clue as to what else should be on shed at GWRd.  And is that the steam crane (repositioned) in the distance?

Swanage Gala 9th-11th September:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42878-swanage-railway-steam-gala-9th-10th-11th-september/

4492 returning to Eastleigh from Swanage, image: 13th Septemberhttp://www.47soton.co.uk/2011/09/12th-17th-september-2011.html

2011 Tour information includes:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs11.htm

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/10s/ht2011.htm

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.  Rain stopped play jungle clearance garden tidying this afternoon so a chance for a bit on here.

Baz, Ray has his eye on it - the magic word being "brass" - so I believe I'll shortly be ordering one.  I could let you do your best on it when it's finished... after all, it will be a working model - so long as it doesn't end up in a derailment incident... :D

More stuff on our 15100.

An intriguing feature of the derailment photo in MR is the wooden wheel stop in front of the derailed engine and what looks like a hefty bar / tool / broken part on the ground.

Does anyone know what it is, please?

Also, was this a standard GWR/BR style / arrangement of wheel stop?

attachicon.gifIMG_6562 15100 wheel stop detail brightness adjusted.JPG

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a good 'un for a GWRd incident!

On the photo of the 1960 engine ( https://flic.kr/p/a6YMzP, I repeat the link for convenience ) the English Electric-Hawthorne Leslie works plate below the number is readable and carries the date 1935.  [in service as GWR 2 on 30th April 1936.]  The photo also shows the BR crest further forward than it was in 1962.  Interesting why it didn't receive the late crest as it was being replaced, anyway.

For some reason I've only just come across this Polly.  Anyway the piece of wood is in nowhere near the right place for a wheelstop and I reckon it's probably a piece of packing timber belonging to the breakdown gang.  The object on the ground next to it looks to me very much like a vacuum pipe - possibly off the loco, possibly just lying around (although the latter is unlikely - probably something to do with whatever was involved in the derailment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Following up on 4492.

10 January 2011

60019 Bittern was already in its 4492 Dominion of New Zealand livery in the video below, 2min22sec in.

The 4492 number is painted on the cab side.

Lined up behind, on Road 1, is 6024 King Edward I and Bittern's water tender, in that order!

Video:

Friday 15th April 2011

Diesel with empty coaching stock Carnforth-Southall WCRC:

"On arrival, final work was being carried out there completing the metamorphosis of No. 60019 Bittern into LNER A4 No. 4492 Dominion of New Zealand."

Behind The Great Britain 4 UK Railtour, http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2011/great-britain-4/. Includes photos.

Also on that day:

46201 Princess Elizabeth Tyseley-Southall

Followed by three tours and a move to York light engine:

Saturday 16th April

The Cathedrals Express

46201 Euston-Chester-Euston

Thursday 28th April

The Cathedrals Express

46201  Kings Cross-York-Kings Cross

Friday 6th May

The Cathedrals Explorer

45305 Kensington Olympia-Minster-Victoria

46201 Victoria-York

Diesel + 44932 Southall-Kensington Olympia ECS

Full details: http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t11/t0506a.htm

As I said, things can get rather interesting but it may have to be one set of moves that I have to pass on as I've only got 44932 in my toy box but a 46201 would be nice!

Edited by southern42
correct an inaccurate link
  • Like 3