Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

Hi All,

Jaz - Wikipedia can be your friend here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Railways_shed_codes

The system was based on an LMS system. The number was the division and the letter was the particular shed so 81 was the London division on the Western Region and therefore:

81A was Old Oak Common (Paddington)

81B was Slough

81C was Southall

81D was Reading

81E was Didcot (a shed code somewhat close to my heart!)

And finally:

81F was Oxford

There were lots of different combinations and the Wiki page will help you identify individual sheds / codes.

Out of interest, the GWR version used 3 letter codes based on the location of the shed so for example Didcot was DID, Southall was SHL, PDN was Old Oak Common (Paddington), RDG was Reading, OXF was Oxford and Slough was SLO. EDIT: This was painted in white letters on the side of the locomotive somewhere (such as on the hanging bar under the running plate just behind the front buffer beam) or, at some time periods on the inside of the cab.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for likes, jumping in with answers and comments.  I've been out all day (including a wander round the N Gauge Exhibition in Conwy) so I'm just catching up on here.

As regards a shed code, I was thinking 81G for Great West Road.  Not sure it would be correct to use 81C while using a different shed name for the layout.  What do you think?

It is nice but not 5164  :no:  more like 6695  :yes: 

Thanks, David.   I couldn't read the number on my photo so looked it up on the Swanage website.

I obviously got the wrong loco.  :fool:  :dontknow: :pardon:

Here is a cropped version of Ray's photo of 6695

post-14049-0-89381600-1404594081.jpg

Polly

• Like 7

Polly,

81G sounds good as it is the next in line, or how about 81P?

Nice!

The GWR version could be, well, GWR or it could be RNP (Ray 'n' Polly!)

Coat on, out of door, etc...

All the best,

Castle

EDIT: A list of the GWR shed codes are here for those wishing to avoid duplications with any further humorous suggestions:

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_gwr_sheds.htm

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Jaz - Wikipedia can be your friend here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Railways_shed_codes

The system was based on an LMS system. The number was the division and the letter was the particular shed so 81 was the London division on the Western Region and therefore:

81A was Old Oak Common (Paddington)

81B was Slough

81C was Southall

81D was Reading

81E was Didcot (a shed code somewhat close to my heart!)

And finally:

81F was Oxford

There were lots of different combinations and the Wiki page will help you identify individual sheds / codes.

Out of interest, the GWR version used 3 letter codes based on the location of the shed so for example Didcot was DID, Southall was SHL, PDN was Old Oak Common (Paddington), RDG was Reading, OXF was Oxford and Slough was SLO. EDIT: This was painted in white letters on the side of the locomotive somewhere (such as on the hanging bar under the running plate just behind the front buffer beam) or, at some time periods on the inside of the cab.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Castle, thanks for that... :sungum:

That should help me understand, and now I have a reference point....looking it up will making it easier to understand.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, just having a quick catch up and as its better to look at pics than try to read text you have given me plenty to feast my WONKY eyes upon.

Like George I was HORRIFIED to see Bodmin in such a sorry state, George and I have spent many a happy hour both watching and riding behind her at the Mid Hant's.

Love all the pics well done and that's what I call a proper holiday.

Heres some pic's of Bodmin in better times

attachicon.gif34016 BODMIN nameplate.JPG

attachicon.gif34016 Bodmin at Alresford.jpg

attachicon.gif34016.jpg

attachicon.gifP5290126.JPG

attachicon.gifBodmn 34016 at Alresford.jpg

Hope you don't mine me invading GWR.

Bodge.

Morning, Andy.

Thanks for the photos.  Much appreciated.

Look on it as a welcome contribution to GWRd knowledge.

GWRd is pretty much a multi-region thread and I'm learning as I go along.

I also forget a lot of things as I go along, too, so I need reminding from time to time.

No worrries if anyone repeats anything either.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, just having a quick catch up and as its better to look at pics than try to read text you have given me plenty to feast my WONKY eyes upon.

Like George I was HORRIFIED to see Bodmin in such a sorry state, George and I have spent many a happy hour both watching and riding behind her at the Mid Hant's.

Love all the pics well done and that's what I call a proper holiday.

Heres some pic's of Bodmin in better times

attachicon.gif34016 BODMIN nameplate.JPG

attachicon.gif34016 Bodmin at Alresford.jpg

attachicon.gif34016.jpg

attachicon.gifP5290126.JPG

attachicon.gifBodmn 34016 at Alresford.jpg

Hope you don't mine me invading GWR.

Bodge.

It was sad to see Sir Winston Churchill showing it's innards but at least it was getting some attention.

post-14049-0-75529500-1404687058.jpg

The following week we popped into the Llangollen Railway but also went round the back only to see two former Southall locos - 2859 and 5952 - tangled up in vegetation.

2859 - Southall 1918-1921; 1934-1936; October 1964 to December 1964 (withdrawn); a few days back in service January 1965; and now up for grabs sale.  http://www.llangollen-railway.org.uk/sloco2859.html

post-14049-0-56331500-1404687140.jpg

5952 Cogan Hall - Southall October 50 to December 54 - currently "in the queue."

post-14049-0-51599200-1404687105.jpg

post-14049-0-84015000-1404687119.jpg

But to cheer everyone up, how about this on the SVR?

post-14049-0-91530200-1404690490.jpg

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It was sad to see Sir Winston Churchill showing it's innards but at least it was getting some attention.

attachicon.gifIMG_2051 34051 Sir Winston Churchill.JPG

The following week we popped into the Llangollen Railway but also went round the back only to see two former Southall locos - 2859 and 5952 - tangled up in vegetation.

2859 - Southall 1918-1921; 1934-1936; October 1964 to December 1964 (withdrawn); a few days back in service January 1965; and now up for grabs sale.  http://www.llangollen-railway.org.uk/sloco2859.html

attachicon.gifIMG_2744 2859.JPG

5952 Cogan Hall - Southall October 50 to December 54 - currently "in the queue."

attachicon.gifIMG_2737 5952 Cogan Hall.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2741 5952 Cogan Hall.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1724a Western Courier SVR 22 June 2014.JPG

Polly

I am not a diesel man but Westerns and Warships took me down to see my sister for summer holidays when I was old enough to go on my own so I have a soft spot for them, and Deltics cos they look the biz.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I didn't mention - The pic of 2859 was taken from the same place (dead end street off the road running parallel to the sidings) as the one of Cogan Hall by squeezing the camera through the mesh of the high fence.  It would have been nice to have had a closer look, though.

Polly

• Like 1

Morning Polly,

Apologies, I've just visited this thread for the first time, following a link from one of your posts so don't be surprised to see lots of ratings pop up against older posts! (To be honest, I'm already following too many threads - it takes so long to look through them all!) Although I'm a Scottish G&SWR fan, I appreciate good modelling and what I see on yours and Ray's threads certainly qualifies! I hope to start modelling Hurlford (67B) Shed late in the autumn if my illness and funding allow. My father was a driver there and I lived as a youngster in the railway accommodation adjoining the shed for some years in the early fifties.

I have been following 'Camel Quay' for some time now, although there haven't been many updates for a while, I hope all is well with Ray? I understand you have had quite a hand in the scenic side and I've found it very inspirational!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to developments,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening, Jock.

Hurlford, now that looks a real grimy place.  I guess the secret will be making the locos look at home as in the link below..

https://flic.kr/p/4hPW6u

Love those arches.  A bit more artistic than will be GWRd's corrugated shell but no less blackened.  :D

When I found the link to Hurlford, it reminded me of one of my favourite exhibition layouts, St. Marnock Engine Shed, so I shall look forward to the beginnings of Hurlford.

Camel Quay, on the other hand, gives me the chance to do some, well, er, pretty stuff.

All the best

Polly

• Like 1

Thanks Polly,

I've seen all of 'Barking Bills' images of Hurlford and I must say I don't remember it being quite as grimy in the early fifties. His pics were taken after the shed had been reduced to three roads from six and was approaching closure to be replaced by a Johnnies Walkers bonded warehouse! I hope I can do it justice and because of my illness I'm going to proceed in modules, starting with the coaling stage and turntable area. I have already copied Rays method of modifying the Peco track into my PC and will watch your developments with interest!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Polly,

Should have added that I too love 'St Marnock' - I believe that they took inspiration from Dumfries shed which, along with Ayr and Hurlford, followed the same design by a Mr Galloway. They were likened to Cathedrals when first built! He also drew several smaller sheds like Muirkirk whilst in charge at the G&SWR. Any model I build will obviously have to be reduced in size as it will have to fit across the back of the garage and they were massive structures!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS My modelling budget is severely limited until late autumn but I've just found four SMP plastic based point kits that have been in a box for over thirty years - they frighten me a bit, particularly the soldering so as not to melt the sleeper bases! I wonder if Ray had any experience with these in the past.

J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm still debating the size of GWRd shed.  To keep a feeling of a substantial shed, I would like to keep four roads, but with the stores/offices building tacked on the viewing side it is much wider than I would like.  So, one idea is to move the stores/offices to the end of the workshop/diesel shed so that it provides a backscene at that end of the layout.

Alternatively, I go down to three roads and possibly sneak in an extra siding on the viewing side to house some 1960s withdrawn locos or a 2011 rake of West Coast Railways coaches.

Four road shed at Didcot: 1466, 6023 King Edward II, 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley and 60163 Tornado

6998 Burton Agnes Hall stands on the adjacent siding, visible when the other locos moved off to fulfil the day's schedule

post-14049-0-90459800-1405380313_thumb.jpg

post-14049-0-01526000-1405380712.jpg

And I've definitely, definitely decided that Swithland Hall (when it arrives!) will become (a 1960s) 6998 instead of Willesley Hall. I think it would be more appropriate.

Ropley on the Mid Hants

post-14049-0-48807500-1405382079.jpg

Just a couple of examples show how I could manage my stock on a much reduced shed.

We've only been modelling a few years so Ray is not familiar with the SMP kits you mention.  He has got some Exactoscale bits to have a go at point work on his next layout. 

Polly

• Like 4

Polly,

Thanks for the reply, hope you didn't mind me asking? As a matter of interest, your love of Pendennis Castle was obvious from your comments earlier in the thread and so I wondered if you'd seen images of the type57 diesel that now carries the name - there are a couple on p61 of the 'Cornwall Today' thread if you're interested!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS in my humble opinion they never look as good as a living steam locomotive!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Jock.

According to Wikipedia, Southall currently has 57313 ex-Virgin Trains in Arriva Trains Wales Blue.  Think I'll pass on that one though 57314 looks tempting (see video below).  :D   I suppose I could convert one to Pendennis Castle.  :nono:

As to questions, Jock.  Ask away. I'll answer, if I can or maybe others can chip in.

Polly

attachicon.gifIMG_2051 34051 Sir Winston Churchill.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2744 2859.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2737 5952 Cogan Hall.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2741 5952 Cogan Hall.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1724a Western Courier SVR 22 June 2014.JPG

Polly

the 5952...did any other loco have such a 'fancy' finish?

Hi Polly,

If you want Diesel Pendennis then it was available as a special edition. As C/O No. 4079 and as I assisted in the relaunch of No. 57604 I have one and very nice it is too! They were done by a company called Rail Exclusive.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Are we talking about the nicely riveted area?.  I'm guessing there's an outer casing in store somewhere.

Hi Polly,

If you want Diesel Pendennis then it was available as a special edition. As C/O No. 4079 and as I assisted in the relaunch of No. 57604 I have one and very nice it is too! They were done by a company called Rail Exclusive.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks, Castle.

Since the website had no mention of the the diesel, I assumed it was no longer available.

But if I come across one on an exhibition previoulsy owned stand somewhere, who knows?  I might just buy one.

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 2

Hi Jaz,

When you say 'fancy' what do you mean? What you are seeing there is the boiler in its unclad state. It is usually covered by a layer of insulation and then a thin steel cladding goes over the top. This is the bit that receives the paint scheme. The small lumps are the stays that hold the inner and outer firebox apart and the larger lumps are long stays that hold the two sides of the outer firebox in position above the inner firebox. The job of a stay is to prevent the boiler distorting and bending against the internal pressure of the steam.

EDIT: Polly is partly right in that in the close up of the cab / firebox area of Coggan Hall, the first two double rows of round thingys are indeed rivets. The ones on the extreme left hold the barrel onto the firebox and the second hold the sides onto the front of the firebox.

I hope this is what you meant!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

Are we talking about the nicely riveted area?.  I'm guessing there's an outer casing in store somewhere.

Thanks, Castle.

Since the website had no mention of the the diesel, I assumed it was no longer available.

But if I come across one on an exhibition previoulsy owned stand somewhere, who knows?  I might just buy one.

Best wishes

Polly

Hi Polly,

The cladding was removed and scrapped on the locomotives at Barry as it deteriorated in the sea air and released asbestos boiler lagging all over the seaside town...

I suspect a new set will need to be fabricated!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly,

The cladding was removed and scrapped on the locomotives at Barry as it deteriorated in the sea air and released asbestos boiler lagging all over the seaside town...

I suspect a new set will need to be fabricated!

All the best,

Castle

Do they substitute with fibre glass these days?

Polly

That's right - it's a type of ceramic wool not unlike the loft insulation stuff but a bit denser and designed for high temperature applications!

Edited by Castle

Morning Polly,

So sad to see a loco in such a sad state as 5952, it will sadly keep deteriorating if they don't act soon - I guess funding is an issue?

Could you enlighten me as to when you hope to post more images of Camel Quay?I look in most days as I note tat you've mentioned working on it several times recently!

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.