Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

Hi Jock,

No. 5952 is part of the Grange project and they bought it with the initial intent of restoring and using the bogie under No. 6880 but they have said that the long term aim will be to see Coggan Hall finished in its own right too. Grange first, Hall later!

As for No. 2859 - who knows? It is an early version with the Churchward cab so it has the potential to be a nice engine... It needs a fair bit of cash throwing at it though by the looks of it but it's all 'doable'.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Polly,

So sad to see a loco in such a sad state as 5952, it will sadly keep deteriorating if they don't act soon - I guess funding is an issue?

Could you enlighten me as to when you hope to post more images of Camel Quay?I look in most days as I note tat you've mentioned working on it several times recently!

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

Further to Castle's comments on 5952 and 2859, here are a couple of links.

http://www.6880.co.uk/5952-cogan-hall/

http://www.llangollen-railway.org.uk/sloco2859.html

Work is progressing on Camel Quay for its outing next weekend to Llandudno.

Hopefully, photos will appear later in the week.

http://www.colwynmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/index.php/exhibitions

Polly

• Like 1

Thanks for the links Polly, very interesting! Hope all goes well at Llandudno and I look forward to more images of what is undoubtedly a superb layout. Got a bit worried when the Camel Quay thread went quiet because I have been cribbing ideas from Ray (hope he doesn't mind!) for when I finally get round to moving my effort from the drawing board!

Safe journey at the weekend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Llandudno went really well, thanks Jock, with train and light engine movements mostly running quite smoothly.

One thing I'm learning is that operating and talking to viewers do not go together too easily.

I shall have to acquire some LMS (layout multitasking skills).

Bought one of these today to build up GWRd's tank stock.

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/Former-GWR-Lines/i-GRzTvH9/1/XL/GMP_Slide467_5531_Southall_151263-XL.jpg

All very well those big Castles, Halls, and Granges hanging around looking pretty rather grand but the tankies are what GWRd is all about so I will need enough to give that impression.

The 4575 will need renumbering and a late crest.  And, if I do 5531, it will need red number plates (cab and boiler door), white detailing, weathering, and anything else distinctive that anyone notices.  Were there any obvious differences between early and late versions, for instance?  Or anything glaringly missing on the model that should be added, perhaps?

A few 8750s, 61xx's, [Edit: shed guardian 1466] and a 94xx will complete the core of the small locos.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

Llandudno went really well, thanks Jock, with train and light engine movements mostly running quite smoothly.

One thing I'm learning is that operating and talking to viewers do not go together too easily.

I shall have to acquire some LMS (layout multitasking skills).

Bought one of these today to build up GWRd's tank stock.

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/Former-GWR-Lines/i-GRzTvH9/1/XL/GMP_Slide467_5531_Southall_151263-XL.jpg

All very well those big Castles, Halls, and Granges hanging around looking pretty rather grand but the tankies are what GWRd is all about so I will need enough to give that impression.

The 4575 will need renumbering and a late crest.  And, if I do 5531, it will need red number plates (cab and boiler door), white detailing, weathering, and anything else distinctive that anyone notices.  Were there any obvious differences between early and late versions, for instance?  Or anything glaringly missing on the model that should be added, perhaps?

A few 8750s, 61xx's, [Edit: shed guardian 1466] and a 94xx will complete the core of the small locos.

Polly

Ha HA that made me laugh, do you remember the first time you and Ray introduced yourselves to me at Barrow Hill? I sort of said Oh Hi and then ran a train into the buffers, we didn't talk much that day as I was on my own most of the day, (George had probably gone walkabouts again). Its no an easy balancing act but one all operators must learn, more so when working from the front as you get more interruptions than when hiding over the back.

Re the 4575, I now have two, I picked one up at the Derby Show earlier in the year for £30 not DCC ready but the later chassis so a hard wire was easy. it was also Late crest and mint. I now have the two of them and a 45XX and one Pannier, I'm waiting for the 64XX to appear.

All the best and more pics please.

Bodge

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if a Penzance Toad would likely find its way down the Brentford branch around 1961?

And if it would still be in GW livery as per the new Kernow model (heavily weathered, of course)?

• Like 2

Does anyone know if a Penzance Toad would likely find its way down the Brentford branch around 1961?

And if it would still be in GW livery as per the new Kernow model (heavily weathered, of course)?

I don't know the answer to your question but I sure a model of one would find its way into North Wales, hahhaha

All the best to you and Ray.

Bodge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First of all I would very much doubt it would still be in GWR livery - Swindon took care of its brakevans!  But yes, I suppose it might get to Brentford and could well get to Southall of course.

• RMweb Premium

You may be right, Andy.

The question may be premature.  I'm still waiting for Great Western Docks & Marine by Tony Atkins to come out but they've moved the goal post publication date from July to September.

As you will have gathered, my knowledge of goods traffic is not far off zero.  If only Grandad were 'ere.  'E'd know.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First of all I would very much doubt it would still be in GWR livery - Swindon took care of its brakevans!  But yes, I suppose it might get to Brentford and could well get to Southall of course.

Note to self: Read up on Swindon.  :D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello - Good evening/morning.

A brilliant day spent at Butterley.

First off, was the LMS brake van type I will be modelling for the drivers experience train which will run up and down the branch line.  I picked up a pre-owned model at Alton when on holiday which will need a bit of work doing to it so hope this and a few other pics I took of the brake van will help.

post-14049-0-98612700-1408230384.jpg

Then there's the Western Lady taken for the sheer hell of it!

post-14049-0-57131500-1408230969.jpg

And the steam railmotor on Ynysybwl which l simply couldn't resist taking.

post-14049-0-68978300-1408231189.jpg

And lastly, 1432 on Penmaenpool another must-take pic from Dukedog's Steam on the Cambrian modular layout #193

post-14049-0-50861400-1408231811.jpg

Polly

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Some things get missed. There was a loco with GWR on the tender in |Reading station early 60s.

Don

Don, your comment sparked off a few thoughts though it's taken me a few days to assemble them.

So, for you all, here they are.

Things that get missed is something I've noted at 81C, certainly regarding locos. It seems that a fair few tanks missed out on the late crest, still sporting the early one well into the 60s: 9707 (Southall 1963-64), 6128 (on shed from Slough 1963) and 1474 (Southall 1961-62, on shed from Slough 1963) for instance, the latter two which I hope to have on GWRd.

Edit - CORRECTIONS]

1466, also ended its days in Early livery, not being officially withdrawn until 28 December 1963.  [Edit snip] 1466 spent [Edit snip] its life in the south west. [Edit snip]

http://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/news/the-great-western-society-s-first-locomotive

[Edit snip]

[Edit - re Early livery, 14xxs and auto-trains]

Having dug out Western Branches, Western Byways I see that the Bourne area was the “last bastion of auto-train operation in the London area.” In 1961, the “Marlow Donkey,” as it was called, was still in operation, 7 July 1962 being the last day of steam after which DMUs took over. Pictured (on page 5) is No. 1438 taking water at Marlow in early livery and its auto-trailer in all-crimson and (on page 6) is No. 1421 on 5 March 1961, both in colour.

I also noted Southall railcar No. W24W, in crimson and cream, pictured (page 4) in operation around 1960 as an example of those running on the branches to Uxbridge (Vine Street) – closed 10 September 1962 – and Staines West – closed 29 March 1965. W24W was withdrawn in October 1962.  Possibilities for GWRd here, too.  From Through the links at Southall and Old Oak Common, I gather that railcars and locomotives for these branchlines (and Greenford) went off in the morning, not returning to 81C until the day's WTT was over, but do correct me if I've got it wrong - especially if operations changed in any way between the mid 50s and the early 1960s

Another modelling opportunity, since we already have the loco, is the 4th September 1960 Stephenson Locomotive Society (Midland Area) 'City of Truro' Swindon Works Tour* which ran from Birmingham Snow Hill via Greenford West Jn - Hanwell - Southall (shed visit) - Reading Depot Yard and Didcot.  This could start a running session to announce the underlying preservation theme before the main action of 1961-65.

* More details: http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/600904sl.html

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Mike.

Although I need to clarify. I was referring to the Uxbridge and Staines West branches as served by Southall locos but Marlow in the context of 14xxs in early livery. :mosking: 

Further to that post - Unfortunately, from GWRd's perspective, 1466 didn't even reach 81C after it had been "saved" from the cutter upper. :butcher:   In trying to clutch at straws (from the signal box strawberry window box - no room for an allotment) with my pitchfork, :devil:  to place 1466 somewhere in/near West London, I misread the Heritage Railway article - reading "1466" when, in fact, it states "a 14xx".  :fool:   Errors now edited (corrected or removed).

Hope that makes sense.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A very good evening all - well it was when I started.  Kept getting interrupted.  So maybe, good morning may be more appropriate, at least by the time you get to read it.

Model of WCRC Black 5 No. 44932 arrived today but until I can get some pics of it, here is a video of the prototype hauling ECS at Southall leaving the shed for the relief platform and departing hauled by a Class 47.

Some of the coaches were on the Swanage Belle in June but not the green ones.  :no:

http://youtu.be/aDj5zlz0FZo

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

Can't help with the Toad I'm afraid, all I seem to remember is the poor, dirty pannier rocking from side to side trying to pull its load up the grade into Southall station. But that wasn't so worrying as the pannier rostered for a non-stopper (I hesitate to use the word express!!!), with 6 crimson, non-corridor coaches behind, and lurching from side to side on the down main, going like the proverbial clappers! What a site. The loco crew must have been driven by fear, as the down "Red Dragon" with a Brit at its head, was chasing it down very close behind!!!

Aah, happy days..........

exmoordave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Haven't noticed anyone mention it yet, but you'll soon be able to travel on the Brentford branch in style;

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/news/news_special.html

I didn't mention it coz I'm gutted.  We're exhibiting Camel Quay that weekend.  I'm not gutted about that - looking forward to it - but I am about missing out on the chance to go down "my" branchline on an ex-Southall SRM.

Hopefully, you good folk will fill it up and the proposed 2nd weekend can then go ahead and I (and others unable to manage the 1st weekend) can bag a ride.

Thanks, Coppercap.....and keep drumming up bizzness, eh!  :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

I also want to get to Southall Station before the PLANS for its redevelopment go ahead.  Not quite sure if they'd be pulling down the two- (previously three-) towered building or not.  If they are, I need to get the camera out there before it all changes forever.  Perhaps some of you know and can fill us in. 

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/surface/western-section/

Looks like GWRd will really be stuck in the (ex-GWR / BR) dark ages.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From memory late fifties to early sixties all the brake vans were GWR toads in light grey livery can't ever remember a BR version, I rode on the side of one many an evening from the Three Bridges to just past the Glade lane bridge half the time the guard didn't even know we were hanging on the side, you had to make sure the driver or fireman never see you track side if they did the they would open the throttle by the time the guards van came past the train was going too fast to bunk on.   

Thanks, 81C that's really helpful.

But oh, dear! You've started something, now!  So, let me think.  :scratchhead:

Lads on side of Toad on factory side of branch line

hidden from platform, signal box and shed staff

but in full sight of layout viewers.

Like it.

Not sure how they would jump on and off though.  

Maybe, I'll just skip that bit.  :laugh:

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Can't help with the Toad I'm afraid, all I seem to remember is the poor, dirty pannier rocking from side to side trying to pull its load up the grade into Southall station. But that wasn't so worrying as the pannier rostered for a non-stopper (I hesitate to use the word express!!!), with 6 crimson, non-corridor coaches behind, and lurching from side to side on the down main, going like the proverbial clappers! What a site. The loco crew must have been driven by fear, as the down "Red Dragon" with a Brit at its head, was chasing it down very close behind!!!

Aah, happy days..........

exmoordave

Thanks Dave, for your experiences.  It all helps.  Thinks: Now, how do I make my 8750s rattle along, then? I thought it was only the Metros that did that? 

The non-stopper pannier - are we talking 8750 class, here?  Since I'm not modelling the mainline itself, locos will only be sent out (to the fiddleyard) to pick up coaches, so you won't actually see any mainline coaches on GWRd.   I would like to check, though:  where would they have been stabled?  I presume it was to 81A Old Oak Common in the up direction, but what about the down route?.

I hope to indicate the gradients on GWRd certainly down the branch.  Not sure whether I'll have enough length/depth on the baseboard to get an incline up from the shed as well, though I should be able to raise the ground behind it a bit and the track up to the mainline (fiddleyard running along the back of the board).  There will be a bit of an S bend coming off shed so that should slow things down to start with - certainly with triple headed locos (1960s and 2011) and in the WCRC period of moving empty coaching stock around - not that the rakes will be that long.

Red Dragon, now that reminds me of the double-page spread of The Red Dragon headed by 70028 Royal Star passing Hayes & Harlington for Paddington, 17  October 1959 in Steam World April 2010.* 

The angle of view - from the downside looking towards the signal box, station building and road bridge - is one I am unfamiliar with.  I only remember looking out towards the Nestle factory from the Up Platform. In fact, I was mostly going (running?) onto the bay platform for the DMU to Ealing Broadway.  Such a limited life one leads as a commuter!

*I have a very benevolent RMwebber to thank for sending me that as it contains Peter Chatman's article, On a Southall Evening (based on his visit on 12 May, 1965). 

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

Haven't noticed anyone mention it yet, but you'll soon be able to travel on the Brentford branch in style;

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/news/news_special.html

Hi All,

Yes it has...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25740-gwr-steam-rail-motor/page-4

I only know because I was the guy that posted it!

I didn't mention it coz I'm gutted.  We're exhibiting Camel Quay that weekend.  I'm not gutted about that - looking forward to it - but I am about missing out on the chance to go down "my" branchline on an ex-Southall SRM.

Hopefully, you good folk will fill it up and the proposed 2nd weekend can then go ahead and I (and others unable to manage the 1st weekend) can bag a ride.

Polly

I'm really sorry that you can't make the first weekend but you will be pleased to know that the sales are going REALLY well... There are a number of factors to consider with regards to the viability of the second weekend, not just the sales, but I will let the good people of RMWEB land know as soon as I have any official confirmation either way.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1