Lumpy Barmcake and salted cracker railway

009matt

Hi there, it is a long time since I posted about a layout, but here are some pictures of my latest creation. The LB&SCR Lumpy Barmcake and Salted Cracker is a Gn15 ish cartoon layout inspired by the likes of FR Emmett, Tim Burton, Trumpton et al and Aardman Animations. The layout had its first exhibition at the Old Kiln Railway near Farnham and has done the local Froxfield Fete. It will be on display at the Liphook and district MRC open day in October and is booked for the Alton MRC exhibition in Feb. It has been built upon a cut down door and is 4 foot six by 18 inches. It is digitally controlled and all stock is scratchbuilt. The figures are sculpted from Sculpey oven hardening clay and then painted. The buildings are MDF faced with textured paint and carboard fittings.

Sorry if pic quality not good, they are from my Blackberry

The layout from afar

EastHampshire-20120624-00093.jpg

Dining train

EastHampshire-20120624-00094.jpg

Close up of chef on dining train

EastHampshire-20120624-00095.jpg

Diners on dining train

EastHampshire-20120624-00103.jpg

Passenger train

EastHampshire-20120624-00100.jpg

View over layout

EastHampshire-20120624-00098.jpg

Woman by shops

EastHampshire-20120624-00101.jpg

Policeman on platform

EastHampshire-20120624-00097.jpg

another layout shot

EastHampshire-20120624-00091.jpg

motive power

IMG-20120505-00050.jpg

policeman again

IMG-20120505-00049.jpg

layout shot

IMG-20120505-00047.jpg

There is a lot more to do, extra figures, detailing etc. There is going to be a double fairlie loco, a ghost train (yes really ghostly) and a couple of other trains - a goods train

I hope you like it and if anyone has any ideas for rolling stock or crazy figures then please shout! I saw a jelly wagon somewhere that had a spring in it do that the van body wobbled on the chassis as it went along.

It's nearly the Muppets' Swedish chef.

How about some ornate gutters and downpipes on the peak-roofed coaches?

Postal train with a pillar box on a flat wagon?

For a proper snack dining train, wagons with spring-loaded catapults to send boiled sweets into the audience?

At the back of the dining train, a kitchen garden/allotment on a flat car - "fresh from our kitchen garden"?

• RMweb Gold

not only do I agree with the positive comments above, but I'd like to comment on the brilliance of the design. I wouldn't know where to start to make something like this look right whilst being nothing like "normal life." Stuff like the curvy houses and wonky window frames could just look like you messed up trying to model the real world but you have absolutely nailed it. Hail the Terry Pratchett of railway modelling!!!

Brilliant !! That must take some doing to think all this up even down to the people. It's like recreating the world :) The diner with the beard reminds me of Roald Dahls character Mr. Twit (from the book The Twits)

Just brilliant and I look forward to future updates

How about a bowl on a flat car with fish in it as a fish van? Or perhaps a longer closed van with windows along both sides and animal heads sticking out as a circus van?

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant !! That must take some doing to think all this up even down to the people. It's like recreating the world :) The diner with the beard reminds me of Roald Dahls character Mr. Twit (from the book The Twits)

Just brilliant and I look forward to future updates

How about a bowl on a flat car with fish in it as a fish van?

Brilliant! Or a whole freight train made up of wagons mirroring the dopey GWR wagon codes, but with real pythons, minks, macaws, pythons and of course a toad in the brake van!!!!

Brilliant! Or a whole freight train made up of wagons mirroring the dopey GWR wagon codes, but with real pythons, minks, macaws, pythons and of course a toad in the brake van!!!!

Just liked this, I will be certainly having a go at this train!

• RMweb Gold

Charming fun with loads of character. Echo the admiration for your imagination! Recall seeing the Emett Railway when I was young, probably at Olympia, and this catches and honours that spirit very well.

How about a closed carriage, curtains drawn, red lights and a "lady" wearing not much more than a knowing smile? Since "ladies" have been known to use the real railway for their trade, this isn't altogether fanciful, I suppose!

• RMweb Premium

And there's always the boat train, of course. Perhaps one with an owl and a ###### * cat on board or a murder to solve?

I do love it. The whole idea and layout is absolutely wonderful. I do hope it ends up in one (or more) of the exhibitions we'll be at in the not too distant future. It just brings that smile to one's face, if not a little laughter.

I do like your little terrier, by the way. :yes:

Keep up the good work.

EDIT

###### * I can't believe the word reading system on here doesn't recognise Edward Lear's word. Let's try Tom Jone's "pussycat"

EDIT 2

One word, then, not two.

How about a bowl on a flat car with fish in it as a fish van?

Something like a washing machine liquid "ball" - the clear type, obviously - would be perfect. Resin water, and I'm sure it would be easy enough to make some goldfish to place in it.

Hi Matt,

I don't usually do a me too post but in this case it is so well deserved I thought is totally necessary to do so! I love all of the influences you mention in your post and the results are truly excellent. It just goes to show that you don't need to be following a prototype to do superb modelling. It is also great to see the usually quite serious world of railway modelling being given such a huge injection of fun - this sort of thing is what is needed to encourage more into this brilliant hobby we all partake in.

Can I add the Crocodile to the GWR train? It could have snapping jaws that move as it goes along...

A Bloater could be an outsize load fish van...

A Coral could be a mobile aquarium...

A Mink could be a furry van...

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The LB&SCR paid a visit to our club's open day yesterday. It is a lot of fun, as well as having some very good modelling...even the locos have their own operating characteristics!

Here are a couple of pictures, as well as a short video...

post-6831-0-23806500-1351521435.jpg

post-6831-0-05762900-1351521450.jpg

post-6831-0-07089500-1351521466.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wonderful layout - I came to the SWING exhibition at Bognor Regis last week with Giles operating his End of the Line layout. It was lovely to come and see your creation during brief breaks from operating! AThe LBSCR is a real inspiration - thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Archived