Dave Bradwell K1 or LRM K2 - Any Thoughts?

Rannoch Moor

• RMweb Gold

I am debating between the above - can't afford both in time or cash! - have built a few brass and WM kits successfully and feel ready to cope with the valve gear but have heard that each kit presents some challenges despite both makers having great reputations for accuracy and refinement.

No real preference in terms of prototype (although a Loch Treig appeals as a namer for Kilbrannan!) but grateful for any steers from the cognoscenti out there (apologies to Dave and Jol!),

Cheers

Gus

Whichever of the two is best fit for your modelling scenario is my best advice.

I would be inclined toward the K2 as a character item; a long-serving Gresley type too infrequently seen in model form, and the less likely of the two classes to see a RTR model. (And guilty as charged on the failure to build a kit as yet, I really ought to be getting around to a late survivor like New England's 61759.)

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

Many thanks so far - I am veering towards the K2/2 now but will probably decide on the spot (and dependant on availability) on Saturday at Scaleforum. I have dithered over the K2 for many a year and as I am an EM'er then it is looking like that will feature on the accompanying "how I did it post!" Further advice gratefully recieved though before I call on Jol/Dave at the weekend!

Gus

For OO/EM there is also the option of the DMR kit for the K1 and the K1/1

Indeed there is and I reckon it would be a much easier proposition for an EM build. Here is a OO gauge version I did a while ago....

post-118-0-15896600-1348595445.jpg

More pictures and info can be found here

Cheers....Morgan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advice fellows, all apprecated and I am veering towards the LRM K2 (side window cab for West Higghland Lines - version will be Loch Treig or Loch Arkaig). Anyone know if there are any pitfalls re tenders? I had assumed (and we know what that makes...) that the WH locos had standard GN tenders.

Re the K1, I may look at the DMR version as an alternate, but the Bradwell brake van chassis is also tempting - and you can't have too many brake vans! I could do with a grey one to balance off my Connoisseur piped van I built a few years ago (wish these kits would come back...).

Morgan - really must say though, your DMR K1 is gorgeous - if I can get even half as good a finish on Loch Treig/Arkaig tbd I will be well pleased (and leave her ex-works!)

Gus

Gus,

according to the notes for the LRM catalogue, the K2/2 is supplied with the Ivatt self trimming tender. Apparently they only ran with those, although one ex-works picture in photographic grey shows one coupled to a Stirling tender.

Jol

Edited for spelling!

There are magazine reviews for kits for both; the DMR K1 by Graham Varley sometime in 1999 (I think) in the Railway Modeller and the London Road K2 by Tony Wright in BRM, don't recall the date.

I'm pretty sure the DMR K1 was reviewed in BRM, too...

• RMweb Gold

Jol, thanks for the advice re the tender - I was reasonably sure that they all ran with the GN Ivatt one as you say and that certainly is backed up by the prototype phots I have back at home in numerous books. I think (assuming you are Jol of LRM!) I will see you at Leatherhead on Saturday!

The DMR kit for the K1 is also a temptation but I think they are hard to find nowadays - does anyone know if they are still trading? An alternative may be the PDK Glen actually on reflection - but the Bradwell K1 isn't out the frame either. (And I must get started on my CR Jumbo once I get a suitable tender from Caley Coaches!)

Wish I had the time and cash for everyting!

Gus

The DMR kit for the K1 is also a temptation but I think they are hard to find nowadays - does anyone know if they are still trading?

Gus,

Are you sure about that? The contact info here is not that far out of date and I have exchanged e-mails with Mike Russell during the middle of last year. Give him a call if the temptation cannot be resisted. The loco you see above was only purchased from him directly at the start of 2011

Cheers....Morgan

• RMweb Gold

Gus,

I spoke to JR on the tellingbone this morning (his pc has suffered terminal HDD meltdown). He has one K2/2 kit in stock, which will be on the shelf at S4um.

Jol

That kind of helps finalise the decision then if JR needs a new computer!

Gus

• RMweb Premium

The DMR kit for the K1 is also a temptation but I think they are hard to find nowadays - does anyone know if they are still trading?

Gus

Mike Russell is definitely still trading - I believe he'll be attending the Peterborough BRM show on 20th/21st October as a Trader. HTH

polybear

• RMweb Gold

Polybear,

Many thanks - I will probably get the K2 (now confirmed to be 61775 Loch Treig - nameplates ordered from Modellemaster) completed and then it will be a CR Jumbo (DJH body with Caley Coaches tender and Alan Gibson Frames). The K1 will likely be the one after that but I don't like building up too huge a stash of kits, especially as it tends to attract sceptical accusations of "wasting money" from Mrs Rannoch Moor...!

Gus

Good luck with the K2. This is the only kit I have bought and then chickened out of Just too many parts!

Alan

Alan,

lots of bits mean more fun. All I have ever given up on were projects that were doomed from the start because they were either just plain inaccurate or didn't fit together at all. One particular etched kit brand springs to mind, but we won't go there again.

I used to approach Mike Clark's Masokits with some trepidation because the instructions are very detailed and a bit off putting. However, I soon learned that provided you follow them properly, everything goes together very well.

Jol

Archived