Porth Aberdovey.

Trains&armour

Hi Sierd

Will you (excuse the pun) be tanking your basement after dealing with the leaks.?

My wife insists on it.....

The only potential problem I can see is the lack of a headshunt for the harbour sidings.  The only error I can see is the lack of a trap point for said sidings (which a headshunt would provide of course)  and the lack of a trap point on the bay or whatever it is at that end of the station.

That apart it is easy to signal - something which always indicates the basic track layout has been planned to sound principles.

Thanks Mike, Carriage siding trap point added. But as far as I can tell, there is no trap point on the Aberdovey harbour siding. There used to be a headshunt with a petrol shed next to it, according to C.C.Green, but this seems to have gone before WW II. The harbour siding is however on an downward gradient, so perhaps a trap point was not deemed necessary?

The only problem I see is there is a very big lack of Cordylines on the platforms. :jester: Seriously though Sierd,good luck with this layout progress and it's nice to see someone else putting their head over the RMweb parapet.

I am very pleased to say I have never yet seen any Cordylines In Wales.  :beee:

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 3

The only problem I see is the lack of a rhino enclosure - they will cause chaos wandering around the station and docks otherwise...

Not with their Dutch keeper Theo Jorritsma ?

No worries. Plans for a Rhino reservation and housing for their keepers are well advanced. My daughter insists on it!

• Like 1

Found this a little while ago:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/wales/archive/bbc-north-west-wales-tywyn-arthur-caley.pdf

A perfect excuse to have an ongoing exercise on my layout, with lots of army vehicles. And of course a LCT (Landing Ship Tank) moored alongside the jetty. Possibly this one: http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=86&subcategory=263&product=1425. Just gorgeous (in my opinion),  but 225 pounds is a lot of money. :O  An alternative would be this one: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/m2/kit_arm_ar05.shtml

Under 80 pounds, but only two of these American LCT's were ever used by the Royal Navy. Perhaps somewhat unlikely to have one of the two stationed in Aberdovey... :nono:

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 2

Here's a Rhino which could just about legitimately appear in Porth Aberdovey but apparently it was just as overweight as the ones seen in action at Brent.

post-9751-0-51967800-1391458505.jpg

I think I've already spotted a Kangaroo on Sierd's shelving.

• Like 3

Here's a Rhino which could just about legitimately appear in Porth Aberdovey but apparently it was just as overweight as the ones seen in action at Brent.

attachicon.gifRHINO.jpg

I think I've already spotted a Kangaroo on Sierd's shelving.

Correct! And I really like that Rhino armoured car. Will have to look into that. A possible scenario could be that the British Army was interested and had the prototype brought over for testing. And then it got stuck in the Aberdovey mudflats...

Looks like you are tooling up for the "Battle of the Bulge". :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

Among others...

• Like 2

My wife insists on it.....

Thanks Mike, Carriage siding trap point added. But as far as I can tell, there is no trap point on the Aberdovey harbour siding. There used to be a headshunt with a petrol shed next to it, according to C.C.Green, but this seems to have gone before WO II. The harbour siding is however on an downward gradient, so perhaps a trap point was not deemed necessary?

I am very pleased to say I have never yet seen any Cordylines In Wales.  :beee:

There used to be a couple in Llanelli's West End- looking at Google Maps, they're still there..

http://goo.gl/maps/zveBg

If they're not Cordylines, then they're closely related.

There used to be a couple in Llanelli's West End- looking at Google Maps, they're still there..

http://goo.gl/maps/zveBg

If they're not Cordylines, then they're closely related.

Lucky for me then that I visited Kidwelly Castle from the direction of Carmarthen. I might have been in for a nasty shock otherwise. :scared:

Edited by Trains&armour

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, Carriage siding trap point added. But as far as I can tell, there is no trap point on the Aberdovey harbour siding. There used to be a headshunt with a petrol shed next to it, according to C.C.Green, but this seems to have gone before WO II. The harbour siding is however on an downward gradient, so perhaps a trap point was not deemed necessary?

No doubt the headshunt was shortened to a trap at some time and it was of course legally required to have a trap - hence the fact that one is shown on the signalbox diagram ;)

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwu/S3214.htm

• Like 1

No doubt the headshunt was shortened to a trap at some time and it was of course legally required to have a trap - hence the fact that one is shown on the signalbox diagram ;)

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwu/S3214.htm

Thanks Mike. Glad that I already added a trap point then, just to be on the safe side!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Enter the Realms of High Fantasy.....

Will probably never be totally  build or finished, but this is what I would like to have in my basement:

post-13158-0-92749800-1392900917_thumb.jpg

The table in the middle of the room will probably be turned into a part of the layout last, but I really like the idea of adding a shed scene.The partly incorporated station (off to the right, over the edge...) tracks can be used as an impromptu fiddle yard. Together with the larger fiddle yard this will give me a lot of possibilities for running trains up to 1.80 m in length . The practical maximum will be a five coach train, but an able driver will manage to manoever six into Aberdovey Station... The shed scene will give me a good excuse to collect  additional engines, maybe even some unexpected visitors!

post-13158-0-22852900-1392901421_thumb.jpg

And this is what the final fantasy will look like:

post-13158-0-32372700-1392901824_thumb.jpg

When/if I start the build, Aberdovey station will be first. and as to that, I have a request:

I've collected a reasonable lot of information about the outside of the station building, but none whatsoever about the internal arrangements of the building. Any information would be welcome, as well as additional information-photo's of the outside and surrounding area. I already have the books by C.C. Green.

PS Sorry Stationmaster, the trap points don't show up on the overall plan, but they are there!

EDIT: Forgot to mention it, but the shed is based on Machynlleth

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Enter the Realms of High Fantasy.....

Will probably never be totally  build or finished, but this is what I would like to have in my basement:

attachicon.gifAber-Shed-Plan.jpg

The table in the middle of the room will probably be turned into a part of the layout last, but I really like the idea of adding a shed scene.The partly incorporated station (off to the right, over the edge...) tracks can be used as an impromptu fiddle yard. Together with the larger fiddle yard this will give me a lot of possibilities for running trains up to 1.80 m in length . The practical maximum will be a five coach train, but an able driver will manage to manoever six into Aberdovey Station... The shed scene will give me a good excuse to collect  additional engines, maybe even some unexpected visitors!

attachicon.gifAberdovey-Shed.jpg

And this is what the final fantasy will look like:

attachicon.gif3D-room02.jpg

When/if I start the build, Aberdovey station will be first. and as to that, I have a request:

I've collected a reasonable lot of information about the outside of the station building, but none whatsoever about the internal arrangements of the building. Any information would be welcome, as well as additional information-photo's of the outside and surrounding area. I already have the books by C.C. Green.

PS Sorry Stationmaster, the trap points don't show up on the overall plan, but they are there!

Not to worry - they show up when it's enlarged!  Nice ideas although I must be honest the footbridge in the 'shed etc' area puzzles me. 

• Like 1

It would take me ten years to build something as complex as that. If you are planning to build Aberdovey first, I have spotted a possible site for the Rhino House:

post-9751-0-20795300-1392911566.jpg

I spotted the Rhinos lurking behind the Rhino House with my powerful Zeiss binoculars, although at first I thought they were just rocks. I've installed a security fence for the paddock and dug up the Noch flowergarden, as Rhinos are not interested in that sort of stuff.

• Like 1

It would take me ten years to build something as complex as that. If you are planning to build Aberdovey first, I have spotted a possible site for the Rhino House:

attachicon.gifrhino house.jpg

I spotted the Rhinos lurking behind the Rhino House with my powerful Zeiss binoculars, although at first I thought they were just rocks. I've installed a security fence for the paddock and dug up the Noch flowergarden, as Rhinos are not interested in that sort of stuff.

That's Aberdovey Hall you,ve turned into a Rhino shelter!..And now I,m supposed to 'like' your post??  :O

Thats the enterance to the Rhino enclosure. :D

Not you as well.. :nono:

PS Is there a Welsh word for Rhino?   xxxx -Hall would look nice on the plan, and I could rename an engine...

• Like 1

That's Aberdovey Hall you,ve turned into a Rhino shelter!.

I seem to have chosen quite well then as the Rhino paddock will be bigger than I thought.

On a serious note do you know when Aberdovey Hall was demolished, as it seems to be "there" on maps until some time after WW2, but gone by the late '60s or early '70s and part replaced by a Primary School?

Not to worry - they show up when it's enlarged!  Nice ideas although I must be honest the footbridge in the 'shed etc' area puzzles me. 

Thanks  Mike.

And the footbridge is a leftover from the way I cut off the original trackplan. The actual station building  is off to the right, just beyond the footbridge and the edge of the baseboard. I was planning to add backgrounds to the layout in this way:

post-13158-0-34293500-1392925879_thumb.jpg

The background  in front of the footbridge will have a representation of rest of the station on it. (and it will keep my trains from taking the plunge)

Scenario:....There is a war on, and the station area has been bombed, temporarily turning the southern half of the station into a terminus. Repairs are underway, crews working day and night, but through trains will not be possible for at least another few days. Trains from the direction of Dovey junction will now halt at the temporary wooden platform extensions, constructed earlier to handle all the extra troop trains. The shed now holds a number of idle LMS  engines,  who where handling the extra traffic from the direction of Oswestry, and got trapped by the bombing....

(off to Ebay, a Bachmann 3F might be nice  to have on shed :pardon: )

• Like 6