Scaleforum new venue for 2013

Tim Hale

• RMweb Gold

Why is Scaleforum moving to Stoke?

Sorry but i just don't know.

Tim

Cost of hire of Leatherhead Centre since it has been renovated has apparantly shot up considerably.

I'm sure that there are others on here who will know the facts.

Why is Scaleforum moving to Stoke?

Sorry but i just don't know.

Tim

Hi Tim

We are reluctantly moving the show to Stoke Mandeville next year simply because since the Leisure Centre at Leatherhead came under new management, it has become unaffordable. The cost of hiring the place for two days has almost doubled to around £8000. The Society has had to heavily subsidise the show and this is not sustainable in the long term.

On a positive note the new venue gives us nearly 30% more space than at Leatherhead so we are going to be able to pack in even more goodness, excellence and enjoyment!! It's the last weekend in September (2013) as usual.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim

We are reluctantly moving the show to Stoke Mandeville next year simply because since the Leisure Centre at Leatherhead came under new management, it has become unaffordable. The cost of hiring the place for two days has almost doubled to around £8000. The Society has had to heavily subsidise show and this is not sustainable in the long term.

On a positive note the new venue gives us nearly 30% more space than at Leatherhead so we are going to be able to pack in even more goodness, excellence and enjoyment!! It's the last weekend in September (2013) as usual.

Are you able to give us any sneaky advance news of what delights you have in store for us?

I'm personally delighted about the venue change as it certainly means it's a full do-able day whereas the M25 was a motorway too far. ;)

Your not kidding Andy!!! This year the M25 was an absolute nightmare!!!! Our hotel involved a short trip on the said car park from the show. On the Saturday night the exit to Reigate was shut due to a fire and I ended up (not knowing the way) going all the way to Gatwick to turn round! In the morning, the whole Northbound carriageway was blocked due to an accident.

And we are indeed hoping that many more folk from up north will find the new venue more convenient and will decide to come to the show.

I'm personally delighted about the venue change as it certainly means it's a full do-able day whereas the M25 was a motorway too far. ;)

But there are those us up north who used to do Leatherhead in one day by getting the first train of the day from our local station and leaving the show at the end of the day. And now can't.

And we are indeed hoping that many more folk from up north will find the new venue more convenient and will decide to come to the show.

Not likely if you want to go by train. But now it's not worth it as you would now arrive at 1pm and have to leave at 4:30pm (if you're willing to cut it fine). This is all because Aylesbury has a much poorer train service from London (half an hour longer and less trains per hour). Fortunately a friend has suggested that we hire a minibus. But I’d much rather go by train any day.

I'm getting fed up with the trend of exhibitions slowly change their venues to venues that are not near a railway station. For any show that is more than 30 minutes’ drive away I want to us the train; even though it may cost more and take longer. Any show that is more than 90 minutes’ drive I won’t drive to and I will only go on the train.

Not likely if you want to go by train. But now it's not worth it as you would now arrive at 1pm and have to leave at 4:30pm (if you're willing to cut it fine). This is all because Aylesbury has a much poorer train service from London (half an hour longer and less trains per hour). Fortunately a friend has suggested that we hire a minibus. But I’d much rather go by train any day.

If coming from the North you can always get off the train at Haddenham & Thame Parkway which is on the direct Chiltern line from Birmingham to London and get a bus from the station to Aylesbury around 20 minutes trip and every half hour.

David

I'm getting fed up with the trend of exhibitions slowly change their venues to venues that are not near a railway station.

It's the way of the world I'm afraid, many city/town centre venues are pricing themselves out of 'our' market and if the event continued to operate from its current location there wouldn't be an event to go to. However this often means that events change to venues with better parking facilities which is how most people, generally, do visit shows.

But there are those us up north who used to do Leatherhead in one day by getting the first train of the day from our local station and leaving the show at the end of the day. And now can't.

I'm getting fed up with the trend of exhibitions slowly change their venues to venues that are not near a railway station. For any show that is more than 30 minutes’ drive away I want to us the train; even though it may cost more and take longer. Any show that is more than 90 minutes’ drive I won’t drive to and I will only go on the train.

We'll be providing a regular free bus from the station if that helps. Is it any quicker if you go via Birmgham rather than London?

If coming from the North you can always get off the train at Haddenham & Thame Parkway which is on the direct Chiltern line from Birmingham to London and get a bus from the station to Aylesbury around 20 minutes trip and every half hour.

David

Thanks for that David. Maybe the free bus service should also go to Haddenham if there is enough demand? I'll mention it for consideration.

Mods,

As we have another quite different topic now forming; on the relocation of Scaleforum from next year, I wonder if this should be split off? ADMIN - done

All,

I can tell you that the Scalefour Society agonised over where (and indeed how) to stage Scaleforum for a very long time and we looked at all sorts of alternative locations, formats and approaches. Location preference for visitors is one factor, cost of venue hire another but these are just some of the influences on a successful show (really, there are loads more - for example, you are making a mistake if you think that hall hire is the largest expense in running a model railway show).

I don't think it is appropriate to air all the options that were considered, explored or visited but take it from me the decision was not taken lightly or quickly. Unfortunately, about the only thing that was certain was that the format we had at Leatherhead could not continue.

Travel time for anyone going out to Aylesbury having arrived at a north london mainline terminus will be about 18 minutes more by my reckoning than going to Leatherhead - although I accept it depends on exactly what terminus we are talking about and exactly what time your train arrives.

Nothing is ever perfect for everybody and there will obviously be winners and losers. We really do hope that the change suits more people than it does not (indeed much more!). I can tell you that there ought to be some real treats at next year's show if even half the plans come to fruitition! Stoke Mandeville stadium is a good bit larger than Leatherhead, so not only should you be able to enjoy what you already have at Leatherhead but there will be more of it and a bit more room too!

Are you able to give us any sneaky advance news of what delights you have in store for us?

Yes, but I'd have to kill you afterwards...

Seriously, the planning for Scaleforum 2013 is already well in hand. Subject to confirmation by layout owners, we hope to have some real gems at the show, and also a special feature to help launch the expanded space available with a special expanded theme.

All the usual favourites of demonstrators and traders will be there as well, of course.

As for travel arrangements and suchlike, we recognise that for any change of venue there will be winners and losers, new advantages and new challenges. We'll make the best possible decisions for the majority of those coming to visit. Decisions on things like buses have yet to be made, and will as with everything else be done on a properly costed basis.

On the change of venue, AndyY hit the nail on the head. The S4 Committee and particularly its long-suffering Scaleforum organiser Terry Bendall looked at more than 25 alternative venues in the South East and Midlands before selecting Stoke Mandeville. It's no coincidence that the same factors have made it such a good home for the enormously successful Railex, which we see this move as in no way competing with.

And finally, no, that wasn't an invitation for "answers on a postcard" to where we _could_ move Scaleforum to as an alternative!

Paul Willis

Deputy Chairman

[edited for typos - such are the dangers of travelling LivStr -> HlwTwn]

Mods,

As we have another quite different topic now forming; on the relocation of Scaleforum from next year, I wonder if this should be split off?

All,

I can tell you that the Scalefour Society agonised over where (and indeed how) to stage Scaleforum for a very long time and we looked at all sorts of alternative locations, formats and approaches. Location preference for visitors is one factor, cost of venue hire another but these are just some of the influences on a successful show (really, there are loads more - for example, you are making a mistake if you think that hall hire is the largest expense in running a model railway show).

I don't think it is appropriate to air all the options that were considered, explored or visited but take it from me the decision was not taken lightly or quickly. Unfortunately, about the only thing that was certain was that the format we had at Leatherhead could not continue.

Travel time for anyone going out to Aylesbury having arrived at a north london mainline terminus will be about 18 minutes more by my reckoning than going to Leatherhead - although I accept it depends on exactly what terminus we are talking about and exactly what time your train arrives.

Nothing is ever perfect for everybody and there will obviously be winners and losers. We really do hope that the change suits more people than it does not (indeed much more!). I can tell you that there ought to be some real treats at next year's show if even half the plans come to fruitition! Stoke Mandeville stadium is a good bit larger than Leatherhead, so not only should you be able to enjoy what you already have at Leatherhead but there will be more of it and a bit more room too!

Mark. I do not think that being secretive with regard to the decision taken to move from Leatherhead is necessary or to hide any of the options that were considered, It was taken purely because the show had become loss making due to the exorbitant increase in the hire of the venue and a rise in other costs quite beyond the control of the Society. It is also a fact that in these austere times fewer people are attending events like this. It's a move forced on us. Let's be honest. There is nothing for us to be ashamed of.

Why go into london and back out? Why not 'up north' to Birmingham and then Chiltern?

Cheers

Jim

What and risk getting stuck at New St on a Saturday evening? Last weekend it was quicker to return home via BNS but not this weekend. It was marginal and didn't give any more time at the show.

David

We'll be providing a regular free bus from the station if that helps. Is it any quicker if you go via Birmgham rather than London?

I could either depart at 5:55am or 7:30am to arrive Aylesbury 11:26 or 12:26. Or get a £30 taxi and leave at 4:45am to get to Aylesbury for 9:53.

Return options are depart 17:10 arrive 21:40 (or 22:48 via BNS) or depart 19:05, arrive 8:59 Sunday morning (or get a £30 taxi for the last few miles)

There are 2 problems. The first is that there are effectively only 2 trains an hour Marylebone to Aylesbury as the third train leaves only 3 minutes after the previous train. Secondly if the venue is beyond walking distance from a station and you purchase cheap advanced tickets your really need to leave a large margin on the return journey to get to the station on time.

I understand a free bus is to be provided.

You don't go from New Street you go from Snowhill on the Chiltern line and change at Princes Risborough.

9:12 from Snowhill - change at Princes Risborough arrive Aylesbury 11:00.

Mark. I do not think that being secretive with regard to the decision taken to move from Leatherhead is necessary or to hide any of the options that were considered,

As Paul said; around 20 venues were considered and we also looked at some much more radical approaches. I don't think it is necessary to set hares running as to the other options that might have suited one party more than the other but are irrlevent as they were not selected. There are numerous examples on this forum where one person with a bee in their bonnet can create a lot of distraction as I am sure we can all agree?

However, to emphasise, there really are a number of tasty things being considered and discussed for next year. I think I can guarantee that there will be a couple of top notch layouts that will have been seen by almost no one before as well as one (and maybe more) rarely seen great layouts.

And no there will not be any annoucements as to what these might be yet.......................you will just have to let the juices of anticipation gestate for longer!

But on the plus side, I might get away with just £110 in fuel next year!

Guest jim s-w

No venue will suit everyone, the trek to leatherhead is the reason i didnt bother this year. Next year will be much easier

Cheers

Jim

Secondly if the venue is beyond walking distance from a station and you purchase cheap advanced tickets your really need to leave a large margin on the return journey to get to the station on time.

Everyone has a different walking distance, in my case I have walked from the station to the venue for Railex in about 15 minutes rather than wait half an hour for the free bus.

Regards

Keith

Archived