Layout ideas for a 12'x8' space in 00

Sam*45110*SVR

• RMweb Premium

A slightly different take on your idea. D and S indicate double and single slips respectively and the labels are on the "slip" sides of the single slips. The one labelled S* is a sneaky addition to allow trains to reverse in the outer through platform and can be simplified to a diamond if you don't want that feature. I've left out the branch junction as I don't think there's really room to do it justice (you could always suggest a junction just off-scene with appropriate signalling) and that allows the loco yard to be accessed from a headshunt which makes things a little less cramped. It's still a restricted site though, and IMO a servicing yard is more credible here than a full-blown depot - so water and ash pits only and all in the open.

Hiding the sharp main line curve top right without blocking access to the bays may be tricky - perhaps a large station building would be sufficient to maintain the fiction that the gentle curve continues.

Minimum radius on the main lines 24" in the corners but you may well need to tighten this to give yourself enough room to work out a fiddle yard.

post-6813-0-55296800-1353623850_thumb.gif

• 6 months later...

It's been a long time but I thought I'd revive this thread from the dead (perhaps I'm a poet that doesn't know it! ;) ) to show you my latest drawings. I thought I should really get on and finalise the plan as the base boards are nearly finished now ! 

Anyway here are the plans, you'll have to piece them together as trial version of only allows 50 pieces of track per plan !

The stripy pieces of track are cassettes that can hold 5 hawksworths (longest coaches) and an A4 (my longest engine).

Could someone point out my obvious mistakes ! ;)

post-14823-0-15859000-1371589665.jpg

post-14823-0-15552100-1371589673_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-44719400-1371589682_thumb.jpg

Looks good.  Only one suggestion.  You could hide the curves in the station by bringing the overbridge part around by 45 degrees anticlockwise.  I think this would look better as it will remove the sharp radius bend from view and mean it will be easier to get a reasonable gap between your coaches and the platform edge.

A good idea but there is method in the madness, if the overbridge was brought onto the end of the straight part it would reduce the length available for trains when in "terminus" mode. Actually I've just realised I haven't explained one of the main ideas behind operation !

I think I would probably get bored with just a tail chaser or just an end to end so I thought that with careful design and interchangeable tunnel mouth and retaining wall sections I could have both, just use the wall at where the footbridge is when I want a terminus. Then if I feel like just watching trains go by put the tunnel mouth in instead. This should also explain the slightly odd fiddle yard arrangement and the lack of pointwork at the other end.I think I'll edit the first post now to make this clear !

I've just been tweaking it to make sure the lines can actually hold what I thought they could because I didn't check the lengths !

I can't believe the transformation from the first post, it looks a lot better and a lot better to operate! Thank you everyone for your suggestions !

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought - five and a half foot cassettes are going to take some handling - might be safer to use three footers and build the longer trains up in chunks?

And how about hiding the sharp in the platform area by an overtrack station building, which would only shorten the visible platform length - the eye would assume they carried on straight for as long as necessary, which is surely more likely than a sharp curve to buffer stops.  That way you'ld also be able to get your train engine to run round when you're in terminal mode - and no scenery shifting!

Wouldn't like you to think you've finished planning .... :no:.

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifCrewlisle Layout Plan 17-2-09.jpg

Kris,

What luxury - 12ft x 8ft'! Perhaps this might give you some ideas as you can stretch it to 12ft to allow a longer terminus, steam shed and continuous run.

This is my exhibition layout 'Crewlisle' which has been on the exhibition circuit for 20 years, has appeared at the NEC four times (last in 2009............

With reference to my original track plan, why don't you avoid the straight platforms and sharp curves on the main station and have a station on a large radius curve with curved points like my through station?  It looks more impressive, especially if you cant the track.  The radius in the through station on my layout is 7 feet which I laid out on my garage floor.  Any sharp curves at either end of the station could be inside tunnels under the town scene.

As one of the previous comments said, five feet 6 inch long cassettes could be too long.  Mine are four foot six inches and lifting them in and out of the loop section and storing them is a clever balancing act to prevent their contents spilling onto the floor!  I will have to make one special one five foot six inches long to take my Blue Pullman.  Another thing with the cassettes, why not incorporate them as part of the continuous run and leave the other tracks for sidings?

• 4 months later...

Well Chimer you were right about never being able to stop planning....

Casually surfing the (RM) web and came across a link to a C.J.Freezer track plan book (cannot remember for the life of me where I found it  :scratchhead:(Edit, found it ! http://www.scribd.com/doc/25621693/Model-Railway-Trackplans-1995)) and one particular plan caught my eye, Hungerford Bridge.

post-14823-0-18248300-1386101271_thumb.jpg

I really liked the look of this and attempted a similar thing in my space...

post-14823-0-69119700-1386101457_thumb.jpg

I then had another go but moving the throat further round and drawing some inspiration from the likes of Waverley West and the "half station" approach.

post-14823-0-01659300-1386101454_thumb.jpg

Also here for comparison is the previous "final" plan.....

post-14823-0-44534400-1386101775_thumb.jpg

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.  :)

Thanks, Sam

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You need a couple of cross overs in the hidden section Sam. Without these only trains circling clockwise will be able to access the main line cassette. 

As has been previously mentioned, your cassettes are on the long side, I would suggest that you mock one up then see how easy you find it to move about, and how likely you are to drop rolling stock from it. 

• 6 months later...

It's been a while but I have finally made a decision about this plan and it's nothing like anything else I've posted !

I have decided to model a station which is fairly local to me, Barnt green on the Birmingham to Bristol line, the junction for the branch to Redditch.

Anyway here is the last development of the previous train of thought ( sorry ;) )

post-14823-0-05161600-1404761175_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the poor representation of the lines near the fiddle yard. The loop on the far left was to be a headshunt/goods loop and the two above the top platform are carriage sidings.

Why I started experimenting with stations local to me I don't know but after Bromsgrove wouldn't fit (I got everything execept the banker sidings in) I tried Blackwell at the top of the Lickey Incline. However there was far too much wasted space on the boards so I went up one again to get to barnt green where I found everything slotted in nicely....  :paint:

post-14823-0-37516400-1404768408_thumb.jpg

Even the very tight curves in the station are accurate as the real branch to Redditch curves well over 90 degrees leaving the station ! I have meddled with the goods yard arrangment a bit and all main line trains will have to use the branch but I think it looks about right.

This will be my last proper post on here as I move on to the Layout thread here:bye:

Thanks everyone for all of you input ! :)

Sam

(Edited to add link to new thread)

• RMweb Premium

Very nice thinking. It's not clear from your post whether you're aware of this, but up to 1964, the Redditch line continued via Evesham to rejoin the main line at Ashchurch, so through trains aren't at all far fetched.

I know you've stopped planning, but if you put a trailing crossover south of the station, you could terminate outer suburban trains at Barnt Green for extra operating interest.  I also think you could address the "straight line with corners" look of the layout and maybe steal some fiddle yard length in the process (that's going to be a tricky point of operation)

Very nice thinking. It's not clear from your post whether you're aware of this, but up to 1964, the Redditch line continued via Evesham to rejoin the main line at Ashchurch, so through trains aren't at all far fetched.

I know you've stopped planning, but if you put a trailing crossover south of the station, you could terminate outer suburban trains at Barnt Green for extra operating interest.  I also think you could address the "straight line with corners" look of the layout and maybe steal some fiddle yard length in the process (that's going to be a tricky point of operation)

I was aware of the through working but although I have seen a picture of a Black 5 on the Redditch branch I'm not sure if anything much larger was permitted ?

Great minds think alike ! ;) the crossover on the "main" lines to the far left is for exactly that, terminating stopping services and running round.

How would you suggest inceasing fiddle yard length? Baseboards are already built and as large as the garage allows.

Thanks, Sam

Er ... it's perhaps a bit late to point this out after all the work you've done, but I've only just discovered this thread.

If I read your early posts correctly, the site for the layout will be a 12ft x 8ft shed?

In that case, given those nominal dimensions given by manufacturers are usually taken from the 'external' measurement of the shed, the 'internal' dimensions are more likely to be about 11ft 6in x 7ft 6in.

Having recently come to the same realisation about my own project, I'm now contemplating whether some form of u-shaped extension passing out of and back into one of the end walls could be built, taking the nominal length of the layout up to (say) 15ft even though this end couldn't be seen.  I sort of envisage it in some kind of weatherproof covered tray affair, but it would have to be hinged to allow occasional access to the rear of the shed.

I wonder if any readers have ever attempted something similar, and what they learned in the process?

Er ... it's perhaps a bit late to point this out after all the work you've done, but I've only just discovered this thread.

If I read your early posts correctly, the site for the layout will be a 12ft x 8ft shed?

In that case, given those nominal dimensions given by manufacturers are usually taken from the 'external' measurement of the shed, the 'internal' dimensions are more likely to be about 11ft 6in x 7ft 6in.

Having recently come to the same realisation about my own project, I'm now contemplating whether some form of u-shaped extension passing out of and back into one of the end walls could be built, taking the nominal length of the layout up to (say) 15ft even though this end couldn't be seen.  I sort of envisage it in some kind of weatherproof covered tray affair, but it would have to be hinged to allow occasional access to the rear of the shed.

I wonder if any readers have ever attempted something similar, and what they learned in the process?

Hi Willie Whizz

The layout is in the garage which is part of the house and the internal dimensions of the sapce allowed is roughly 12x8 (give or take a few inches each way) I have measured it quite a few times to check it but I've lost the bit of paper I put it on ! ;)

As much as I would like to complete the main line run, I think my parents would be more accepting of extending it further into the garage then bashing a hole in the wall ! ;)

Sam

• RMweb Premium

It's here, in glorious technicolour: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58427-greenfield-standedge-route/page-63.  Start at post 1560.  All you need to know, explained by a master.  I've no idea how he does it ....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone who has comtributed to this thread. I have a railway room about 12' X 8' (not available until the house is decorated) and all the posts have helped me in my thinking about track plans.

I was aware of the through working but although I have seen a picture of a Black 5 on the Redditch branch I'm not sure if anything much larger was permitted ?

Great minds think alike ! ;) the crossover on the "main" lines to the far left is for exactly that, terminating stopping services and running round.

How would you suggest inceasing fiddle yard length? Baseboards are already built and as large as the garage allows.

Thanks, Sam

There is an undated photo of Rebuilt Royal Scot 46137 The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire) on Redditch Shed in Bob Essery's book An Illustrated History of the Ashchurch to Barnt Green Line. The circumstances of how it got there are not given but I doubt it could have got any further down the line to Evesham.

In the same book there is a photo of 8F 48700 on a northbound stopping freight at Studley.

Also i that book is an Appendix giving lists of locomotives known to have worked over the line during 3 periods - October 1937-April 1938, July-December 1947 and September 1955-February 1956. Some Jubilees as well as Black 5 and 8F are listed for 1947 and in BR days.

Hope this information is useful.

Regards

Basil

It's here, in glorious technicolour: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58427-greenfield-standedge-route/page-63.  Start at post 1560.  All you need to know, explained by a master.  I've no idea how he does it ....

Thank you so much for that link, Chimer.  Isn't it odd how seeing how someone else tackled a problem can instantly stand your own ideas on their head?

In my case, the garden is multi-levelled, and the shed is sandwiched awkwardly between the back of my garage and a shoulder-height garden wall that I had built to shore-up the embankment into which I needed to dig-out to make room for a shed in the first place.  (The top half of my back garden was once a very small part of the Great Northern Railway's Leen Valley Extension, would you believe!).  Maintaining access all round is therefore required for maintenance etc., so I'm having to think in terms of something 'hinged' - but for some reason I've only thought in terms of hinging upward, never downward, and in a U-shape.  The thought of hinging a downward-dropping rectangle box had simply never occurred ... it will be a bit of a squeeze, but definitely do-able.

All I need to do now is find time to finish boarding-out the shed itself, and then build the thing.  I never cease to be amazed how real craftsmen like Larry Goddard manage to accomplish so much; they must work at ten times my pace and still produce a far better result - or else they have little or no other demands on their life outside model railways, but I'm sure that can't be the case.  Finding the time will have to wait as well though for me to read the whole of that thread from start to finish - clearly I still have a lot to learn.  Thanks again!

Archived