GW Models Wheel Press & Quartering Jig

Having had several instances of wobbly Gibson wheels and hit or miss quartering I decided to invest in a GW Models wheel press.

Just at the time I had decided to invest, one came up on Ebay so I bid and won the item which arrived today. I have read a well illustrated topic explaining how to use it, all very straigtforward, I for the life of me cannot work out how to get right lead quartering.

Whichever way i turn the jig or the chassis the quartering is left hand lead which is quite rare in the real world.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Here's a picture of my GW quartering jig.

post-11105-0-18303900-1351706052_thumb.jpg

You can just make out the positions of the slots for the crank pins, in my book the right side is leading the left whichever way you look at it.

I'll be using it for the first time tonight.

When the RH slot is at 6 o'clock the left hand is at 9 as per tender's picture

Er, imagine standing between the frames, the brown cardboard the jig is standing on is the floor. (See above picture)

The crank pin slot on the right side is at 12 o'clock, turn around and the pin slot on the left side is at 9 o'clock.

When the engine moves forward (up the page) the right side leads the left side.

Er, imagine standing between the frames, the brown cardboard the jig is standing on is the floor. (See above picture)

The crank pin slot on the right side is at 12 o'clock, turn around and the pin slot on the left side is at 9 o'clock.

When the engine moves forward (up the page) the right side leads the left side.

Sorry I didn't have my glasses on when I looked at your image. I thought the RH crankpin slot was at 6 hidden by the axle pin.

I must have a LH version as the LH block on mine has the crankpin slot at 3 o'clock. I guess I'll just have to use it as a wheel press.

Thanks for your time anyway.

I don't have my one to hand for comparison, but yours does look different to the picture above from Tender.

I do know that George Watts will modify items, so if you do have a left hand one, he may be able to alter it, for a fee.

New ones don't cost much from George, as usual with Ebay, caveat emptor.

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions.

I have now done what I should have done in the first place and ordered a new one from George Watts. He could barely remember making a left hand lead jig and reckoned it must have been one of his first.

If anyone is interested in buying one, the current price is £24.50 + £1.50 postage

It might be an idea to ask him if he'll produce one that can cater for LH, RH, and 120-degree....... It is, after all, based on where he puts the grub screw(s).

Yes that is one thing I thought about. If the axle hole had been put midway between the two rods then you could have reversed one of the blocks to enable LH or RH.

It might be an idea to ask him if he'll produce one that can cater for LH, RH, and 120-degree....... It is, after all, based on where he puts the grub screw(s).

But if he did that he would only sell one tool, but if he does three different tools he could possibly sell three of them.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

If you want to sell it, look out for someone modelling the LNWR. It apparently used left hand lead, as did the Hull & Barnsley, LD&ECR, Furness, and a few others. Barclay and Kitson industrials tended to be left hand lead. (No, I didn't know this myself - it came from http://modelengineer...quartering.html

:thankyou: )

DT

• 2 years later...

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions.

I have now done what I should have done in the first place and ordered a new one from George Watts. He could barely remember making a left hand lead jig and reckoned it must have been one of his first.

If anyone is interested in buying one, the current price is £24.50 + £1.50 postage

Hello,

I wanted to purchase a GW Models wheel press for Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo models.

I contacted Mr. Watts, but, he informed me that he has not made them for years and now only does them for Finescale.

How long is it since any other Forum member bought one?

Hello,

I wanted to purchase a GW Models wheel press for Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo models.

I contacted Mr. Watts, but, he informed me that he has not made them for years and now only does them for Finescale.

How long is it since any other Forum member bought one?

I think that I'd read that as he has not made them for Tri-ang and Horby Doublo models for a number of years. But he still makes them for fine-scale wheels.

I think that I'd read that as he has not made them for Tri-ang and Horby Doublo models for a number of years. But he still makes them for fine-scale wheels.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of any other company still making the jigs for Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo?

Archived