The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

"Extreme trainspotter" - BTP issue pictures

newbryford

My understanding is that the incident is possibly more serious than the news story suggests so I'd like to reinforce the request:

Anyone with information which can assist, police call British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

In all calls, please quote incident reference B2/WWA of 28/11/2012.

Surely if they had "an ounce of sense", they wouldn't have been trespassing anyway ?

Indeed. I'm surprised that it's taken so long to finally have an incident hit the mainstream news though. There have been enough incidents reported within the railway press. Also, it's numpties like these who strengthen the case for those who would see main line steam consigned (again) to history.

Mark

it's numpties like these who strengthen the case for those who would see main line steam consigned (again) to history.

There's no real need for main line steam - it's great to see steam specials but they can cause an awful lot of work for the staff concerned.

There's no real need for main line steam - it's great to see steam specials but they can cause an awful lot of work for the staff concerned.

There is no "need" for preserved or model railways either, once we start down the slippery slope of allowing the behaviour of a small minority to spoil things for the majority we are in deep trouble.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I think there is no doubt these two (or at least the 'guilty one') will be traced. How can you not recognise these blokes from this photograph if you are relatively local as they probably are?

I really hope BTP get some positive publicity from this and that the railway mags publicise the result.

Good on the WCR driver for coming to a halt and telling it as it was...............

P @ 36E

There's a good argument for ceasing to have steam specials - I've had problems with 'enthusiasts' when we've had steam specials previously.

and why just steam specials? Are these absent minded members of the public just limited to "steam specials"? I don't see that, if other news media reports are to be believed, there is an increase of incidents of trespass and worse. Trying to associate the act of trespass with only a small subset of the public (who are probably on the whole far more aware of the consequences) is inappropriate. This is no worse than any member of the public venturing the wrong side of crossing barriers something that is far to commonplace and does not receive the same typical headline in the media. Were these really trainspotters or simple unthinking/unaware members of the public just doing the wrong thing?

OK; that's started comment which is distracting or irrelevant to the OP. I'll lock the topic.

Archived