Class 30 vs 31

The Nth Degree

Some notes on the above for those with a '31 on their horizon.

Body: LIMA 'skinhead', handrails etc added from wire. Shawplan fan etching and grille, EE exhausts scratchbuilt from NS and some brass tube (3/16" x 3/32" as we say in America). Paint Railmatch acrylic, decals/transfers HMRS arrows and numbers, Fox data/warning panels (and yes, the front warning panels are supposed to be wonky - check your prototype photographs carefully!) I haven't quite got to the cab yet...glazing will be Shawplan, as will the wipers. First, windows and weathering (an album by Genesis, perhaps....?)

Chassis: LIMA backbone with Hornby bogies and motor etc. with new plasticard buffer beam (not only had the original fallen to dust but didn't quite look right anyway) buffer beam bits from Hornby detailing pack, coupling hook (and coupling when I find it) Exactoscale, buffers Lanarkshire Models, footsteps from brass strip/wire.

Currently it is running as a DC locomotive, but DCC will come eventually once I work out the new lighting and sound etc. A separate project, I feel...

Would I do it again? Well, yes, I am about to...

Would I do anything differently? For me, this was a straighforward piece of work, so probably no, I'd do it the same way again. The only fly in the ointment being that the Hornby buffer beam shrould cannot be supplied as a spare. If it was I'd buy spare parts, but as it stands I will have to 'scrap' a Hornby locomotive.

One approach I have thought about is retaining the LIMA chassis/motor (the one I have runs very well) and possibly 'doubling up' on motorised bogies. This just leaves me scratchbuilding buffer beams/shrouds and then onward as above. Anyone any comments?

Best,

Marcus

Doing the buffer beam shrouds is not all that difficult with some thick plasticard, which allows one to round off the corners smoothly. Mine on this Hornby Railroad version with Lima body were done by eye, trying to match the other (Lima) 31. I have not (as yet) corrected the exhaust ports on mine, though.

Class30improvements2_zpse56c474c.jpg

And the end result:

Class30improvements4_zps47012825.jpg

I have forgotten to add the top handrails over the old gangway doors. What did you use for the little "ears" on either side of the gangway door "hump", Marcus? I think they were guards for the windscreen washers. I keep looking at mine every so often and thinking, "I must get around to doing those two jobs." (Round Tuits, and all that!).

P.S. You have used rather finer wire than I did for the handrails - yours looks much better for that.

Doing the buffer beam shrouds is not all that difficult with some thick plasticard, which allows one to round off the corners smoothly. Mine on this Hornby Railroad version with Lima body were done by eye, trying to match the other (Lima) 31. I have not (as yet) corrected the exhaust ports on mine, though.Class30improvements2_zpse56c474c.jpgAnd the end result:Class30improvements4_zps47012825.jpgI have forgotten to add the top handrails over the old gangway doors. What did you use for the little "ears" on either side of the gangway door "hump", Marcus? I think they were guards for the windscreen washers. I keep looking at mine every so often and thinking, "I must get around to doing those two jobs." (Round Tuits, and all that!).P.S. You have used rather finer wire than I did for the handrails - yours looks much better for that.

Oh, I wish I could show you a photograph but my camera simply won't do it...

After futzing with plasticard for a bit and going nowhere, I built the 'ears' as they are on the prototype.

From paper thin brass I snipped out the ear shape plus extra that took the resulting piece down to a 'point' (in effect cutting a triangle - it looks better than these words, really!). I soldered this to a piece of the 'thin' wire you mentioned (0.31mm brass from Eileens, by the way) so the brass wire length soldered to the 'ear' gave me the height of the ear. Then I folded the pointy bit over the end of the wire to give the turnover effect and snipped of the point. Each ear went into a hole drilled to suit. If you peer behind them they are indeed a shrouded nozzle. Now, how to make them work....

Best,

Marcus

• 2 years later...

Marvelous! And is NS by the looks of it. Will you be posting details of the test build?

Of course, though most of the work is done - fold up, fit hornblocks and springs, insert Hornby core, refit. But I promise to print any swear words too...

• 8 months later...

Any recent work done on your 31? I've recently acquired a blue Lima 31004 body and I'm looking for inspiration before l start work on it. Have now realised that I will have to turn the exhaust ports around by 90 degrees.

Well if it helps we are including exhaust ports in the etched chassis (to address this very issue) kit and may well offer them as a detailing piece separately. Keep an eye on Rumney models site. The last I heard we should be launching the chassis at Scalefour North.

Scattered around here on RMWeb is vast amount of information about 31s - start with my posts as much of those attempt to distill far more detailed notes for my own understanding prior to working on my own 31004. Otherwise, just ask - me, or anybody else!

Best,

Marcus

attachicon.gifD5835 York September 62 Slide 604.jpg

D5527 and D5533 were both production versions with 1365hp rated power units and all locos numbered above D5520 had louvres in the engine room doors from new.

As a point of interest just in case you decide to choose a slightly later period, D5545, D5655-70 all had further uprated 1600hp power units from new and can be identified externally by an additional cover plate adjecent to the main radiator fan cowl on the same side as the access steps. The purpose of this was for access to the additional coolant header tank fitted to help disperse thermal expansion from the uprated engines. D5835 was further uprated to 2000hp and this carried two extra horizontal louvered grilles below those on the opposite end of the side where the access steps are, but only on that side. It carried these extra grilles even when re-engined as a Class 31 until withdrawn as 31302 in 1994.

Looking at the image of D5835,  what is the unusual  metalwork below the centre cab window?

And here they are: sprung bogies for the Hornby BR Class 30/31 or Brush Type 2 for those of you who prefer green. Anyway, Rumney Models will be marketing them, though I have no idea on price. Best ask Justin at Scalefour North where I understand he will have some for sale to lucky punters.

The packet!

post-6357-0-69594100-1520004293_thumb.jpeg

What you see is what you get:

post-6357-0-25723000-1520004318_thumb.jpeg

And yes, included are the replacement EE exhaust vents you will need for all but two of the class unless you bung up the door vents on a LIMA body (see everyone else’s notes on Class 31s)

post-6357-0-06847200-1520004348_thumb.jpeg

Enjoy!

Best,

Marcus

Archived