1980s Norwich Thorpe Plans

Satan's Goldfish

Back when i was at high school I had a plan of Norwich Thorpe Station copied from a map that must have been about 1:2,500 scale showing the track layout at some point between the 1986 re-signalling and the 199X Riverside developement. I don't know what happened to that map, but i don't have it anymore.

I've tried looking on 'old-maps' for a copy of it but with no luck. Does anyone know where i might be able to find recent (1980 - 2000) 1:2,500 maps of Norwich thorpe and Crown Point covering pre and post re-signalling?

Ta

I forgot to add before anyone suggests it, I've seen Middleton Press books that cover Norwich but they don't go into fine close detail for the area.

I may need/be advised to start a new thread, but can anyone tell me what wagon code the BOC tanker in this picture is please? And if anyone's already made it in OO? (I've not stumbled over one yet though)

http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/MarkB/45%20departs%20Norwichv.jpg

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to add before anyone suggests it, I've seen Middleton Press books that cover Norwich but they don't go into fine close detail for the area.

I may need/be advised to start a new thread, but can anyone tell me what wagon code the BOC tanker in this picture is please? And if anyone's already made it in OO? (I've not stumbled over one yet though)

http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/MarkB/45%20departs%20Norwichv.jpg

Thanks

It is one of these http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank/h3b39928b#h3b39928b and no, they are not available RTR, I know this 'cos I need some too...

Andi

Bear in mind that TOPS codes - the ones painted on the wagons, at least - weren't supposed to do anything more than identify the vehicle in very general, operational terms. The "TEA" code applies to any bogie tank wagon with a gross laden weight over 100 tonnes and air brakes. There was a range of wagons that could carry that code and differences in the density of the load for which they were designed could result in substantial differences in size. There were a couple of types of sulphuric acid tanks, for instance, that were coded TEA but were much shorter than the typical TEA petroleum tanks (which is what all RTR bogie tanks are).

The BOC cryogenic tanks were the subject of an article and drawing in Rail Express no. 102 (November 2004) and I dare say that they're included in one of the diagram books on the Barrowmore MRG website (although I don't know which one off the top of my head, I'm afraid). Remembering that they're referring to models that were available 8 years ago, the REx article says:

"modelling the BOC tanks is quite a challenge... A good representation could probably be made using either the Lima or Hornby bogie tankers, the latter scaling out at about 5mm short in the barrel but with a diameter that is very close to our drawing... most of the underframe will need to be scratchbuilt".

On the other hand, they're very attractive wagons. Go to it!

Jim

They definately are good looking tanks, I'll add it to my 'to do' list, scheduled for completion August 2023....

Back OT, i'm still struggling to find anything on the old riverside yard layout and old depot. I have a link that shows old Crown Point Engineers yard layout and the new crown point depot is easy enough to see on google earth along with Thorpe Station itself post re-signalling.

Thanks

Yes i've seen those ones thanks (I probably should have mentioned that earlier!) A combination of those and any photo's i've been able to find has given me a rough layout of Trowse-Crown Point-Wensum Junction-Thorpe Junction-Norwich Thorpe Passenger. Norwich Goods seems very very basic compared to the sprawl that i remember so i'm guessing there were a lot of ground frames in that area maybe?

• RMweb Gold

Beast66808 your such a tease... Two good pictures of the motor operated distant outside Norwich Thorpe Junction but just a glimpse of the fogging arrangements..

66606 - I am the real devil, at least that's what I'm told by my "conscience"!

I have a photo of the mini fog signals at Whitemoor if you are interested ?

You can actually have three sets  of completely accurate 00 figures for Norwich Thorpe station,Crown Point  and a BR  track crew at Portland Cement siding Thorpe St Andrew  .Phoenix Model Developments ,now S&D, asked me to sculpt some 00 figures and I used those  locations  and access via the management to take some photos .I forget the date but Crown point was fairly new  so maybe around 1989, A conducted tour of Crown Point was authorised  so great fun ,I wonder what i did with the photos ? . I put bases cast onto the figures at Phoenix request but they should have had a pin or nothing .

Martin

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 2

You can actually have three sets  of completely accurate 00 figures for Norwich Thorpe station,Crown Point  and a BR  track crew at Portland Cement siding Thorpe St Andrew  .Phoenix Model Developments ,now S&D, asked me to sculpt some 00 figures and I used those  locations  and access via the management to take some photos .I forget the date but Crown point was fairly new  so maybe around 1989, A conducted tour of Crown Point was authorised  so great fun ,I wonder what i did with the photos ? . I put bases cast onto the figures at Phoenix request but they should have had a pin or nothing .

Martin

That would take modelling an actual location to the extreme by having 4mm scale models of the people actually there!

More good pictures, thanks thirty2a! they're all coming out of the woodwork now! Just don't let me forget on my next trip back the the mother land to pop into the Norfolk Records Office.