Wharncliffe Junction - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

To regain my GWR credibility! - Just found this photo from a Sunday morning in 1936..... School boys watching the departure of the morning Parcels train to Reading as a Castle arrives on a London bound service...

Those school boys are thinking about setting up their own blog... or their own preservation society... Apparently some Finching girls have their own www. but at the moment the boys are too young to know anything about this Interweb thingy :-)

post-6981-0-77071700-1388960036_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

No reply from Hornby or Bachmann today about my queries:

Hornby:

1. Correct bogie wheels for the Star.

2. Tool for getting electrical plugs out.

Bachmann:

1. Top feed for the 64xx and other Panniers - an option for none please!

2. What identity the new DCC sound Pannier is going to take and when it will arrive.

Will let everyone know when I get replies!

Bachmann have now replied - my questions about no top feed and Toplight carriages have now been sent to the R & D department.

Re: Sound fitted 57xx - this is still in development (Presumably the sound part of the DCC) and further details will be announced in the Collectors magazine and the 2014/15 catalogue. So I guess from that, no news until the Summer....

Re: Dukedog - This is due imminently and will be on the shelves by the end of this month.

This implies that top feed has not already been considered by Bachmann, which is a shame. Let's hope they pick this up soon. I have already removed a Top Feed from a Hornby 48xx, I shall have to start on the 57xx next then! My other favourite topic; namely RTR Toplights, looks as if I will have to get another Slaters kit. (Assuming Cooper-Craft are still making them - see separate thread!)

• RMweb Premium

Another 'photo from Sunday 1936 and it must be early in the morning due to the amount of locos on shed.

As a London bound Castle arrives in Platform 1, an unidentified 61xx arrives with a Reading bound parcels train.

On shed, are a Star; Castle; 57xx and 61xx. In the foreground another 57xx is shunting an Acton branded AA3 Toad.

post-6981-0-69207600-1389129938_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's been a busy weekend in the Railway room. I've not been happy with the light switch and lights in general for ages, so yesterday, re-wired all the lights! The switch is now at a more convenient height (about 3ft off the floor*) and all the lights now wired from one switch. Things had grown a bit like topsy, with the work-bench and town lights on a 13amp socket and no lights over the viaduct end of the railway. Plus I had never wired up my InterCity travel agent sign. (Rescued from a travel agency in Greenwich!)

post-6981-0-74348100-1389553091_thumb.jpg

The InterCity sign sits over the fiddle yard, which was surprisingly empty whilst all the works were going on. (I am bound to drop something, if I don't move the stock!)

The Yard, shows 2 running lines at the back and 4 sidings with entry / exit at both ends and accessible from both running lines. At the front will be a cassette system; which will mean the lines will be covered to enable cassette to be stored.

edit: *Convenient as you have to duck under the railway to enter!

• RMweb Premium

Jobs for Sunday:

When I was at Warley, I saw a Holtons coal wagon on the POW sides stand and it was still not complete, but it's getting there:

post-6981-0-50222800-1389553628_thumb.jpg

POW sides are a great way of adding unusual wagons to your layout (no connection to the company); they use the Slaters Wagons as the base and print(?) onto the pre-coloured wagon. I don't find them particularly easy to build as they need a lot of "fettling" to get them to sit square / everything to fit. But it's worth persevering, as the end product is very good.

Today it needed a load and some weight. I try and get all my wagons to weigh about 50grams, by using liquid lead or any odd bits of metal I've got in the scrap box! - If the wagon is going to be sheeted - I have even used stones from the garden!

post-6981-0-49783400-1389553905_thumb.jpg 

I had already made some inserts from card (4 deep); which came as part of an infill from Geoscenices (On the Hornby magazine stand at Warley. But having added the weight, I had to remove two layers! The coal was then added on the top - this coal is much better than any scatter type coal, I now also use this in my locos and the coal stithies are also filling up with Geoscenics!

This is my 3rd wagon from POW sides. The 1st two I bought when we were last at Pendon. The City Coal co. from London and JA Bartlett a coal merchants from Ealing. Holtons of course is from Henley on Thames.

post-6981-0-77209700-1389554139_thumb.jpg

The Holtons wagon needs a bit of paint touching-in and will also probably be heavily weathered.

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile Tintagel Castle was caught passing over the viaduct early on Sunday morning with an up express:

post-6981-0-62659400-1389554324_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-57170200-1389554330_thumb.jpg

Other work this weekend, centred around the loco shed, which saw paving an ballast going down on the surrounding area - it's currently all drying and hopefully will look very good once done.

Until next weekend, enjoy the new 'photos!

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see Holtons commemorated Neal - I'm not sure if any of them are still in the area and there are none listed in Henley in the 'phone book.  Arthur ran the last part of the family business, a grocery shop but that closed many years ago; he was also the Station Officer of the local volunteer fire brigade for many years and we knew him well.  His son John emigrated to Canada in the late '50s which I think meant the end of any continuing connection with the town after Arthur's death.

Incidentally did you buy the Butler's wagon at Pendon - special livery job for them on a Bachmann wagon - and one of many which Tony Smith had previously built and painted for the long coal train at the museum?

• RMweb Premium

Have you got your Dukedog yet? I bet it will look great in the photos when you do!

Mine, is sitting in one of our offices, waiting fir me to collect it! I could not get oth there today to collect it.... Anyone local - hands off !

I will collect it tomorrow and post photos over the weekend. How long it will last as a post war loco, remains to be seen.... It needs to be in Shirtbutton livery....

Nice to see Holtons commemorated Neal - I'm not sure if any of them are still in the area and there are none listed in Henley in the 'phone book.  Arthur ran the last part of the family business, a grocery shop but that closed many years ago; he was also the Station Officer of the local volunteer fire brigade for many years and we knew him well.  His son John emigrated to Canada in the late '50s which I think meant the end of any continuing connection with the town after Arthur's death.

Incidentally did you buy the Butler's wagon at Pendon - special livery job for them on a Bachmann wagon - and one of many which Tony Smith had previously built and painted for the long coal train at the museum?

Thanks for the Holtons details Mike.... Think I could do with a few more.....

Strangely, the Butlers wagon did come from Pendon, but it was again a POW sides kit.

• RMweb Premium

Having driven home through yet more floods - I have now had the Dukedog running - straight from the box - and I'm very pleased....

post-6981-0-04077500-1389979147_thumb.jpg

I ran it in for about half and hour and then ran it round the track twice on its own.... whereupon it merrily hauled 4 Bachmann Collett  carriages: 

post-6981-0-57351600-1389979377_thumb.jpg

Before being placed in front of the Toplight set.

• RMweb Premium

Further steady running of the Dukedog this afternoon... resulted in it easily being able to haul 6 Bachmann Collet carriages... easily round the curves of the layout... even at speed.

Despite what I've read elsewhere, it seems more than able. (I've not messed with the DCC settings, nor changed any weight distribution etc.)

6 carriages is the required maximum for the layout, but probably for a King / Castle. Tomorrow, I will try and connect up the Toplights and see how it gets on with those as well.

• RMweb Premium

Today, I've changed the bogie for the correct 10 spoke versions.

post-6981-0-19836800-1390162667_thumb.jpg

From a distance, you don't really see, but close up, the difference is noticeable and much improved. (Having emailed Hornby, they sent the spare wheels, by Courier!) Not bad for service eh!

• RMweb Premium

The weekend work has concentrated on replacing a 3 way point, which was causing a problem with some of the lighter wagons. The idea was to replace with with two small radius points, which I knew was going to give an issue with supports underneath. I thought I might get round this, by using an old Peco motor mounted on the surface... obviously DCC does not like that! Every time I try and switch it, the layout shorts out.

The other alternative would be to find the spring I took out and operate it manually!

I also tried to fix my carriage lights. They are powered with a pick-up on the wheels, using DCC concepts springs and silver paint on the back of the wheel. The whole system is wired through to a DCC concepts stay alive and then to the LED. However, of late, they flash a lot when running - even after "warming up" for 10 minutes or so to charge the capacitor. Don't really know what the issue is - both carriages I have are now doing the same. - Any suggestions would be welcome! (I have tried checking the wiring and cleaning the wheels.

post-6981-0-43623400-1390164426_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Neal,

What did you say to Hornby? Are they just sending new wheels to all owners who ask?

By the way, what make are your water cranes?

Love the layout. Great period vibe.

Rich

Thanks for the comments Rich. Yes! - Just ask Hornby (I emailed them) and they arrived within a few days.

The Water Cranes are Ratio. I also have some very old Springside metal ones, but are now being replaced by the Ratio ones you see in the photos. 

Thanks again for the comments.

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get a couple of hours in the railway room today.

The errant point has been replaced and will now be a manual point.

I also had another look at the Carriage lights and reckon I have a dry joint, just need to find it now....

Then I started to look at another Carriage and how I will get the lights in.... As well as the ceiling lights, there are table lamps here - two at the moment, but the rest of the carriage needs table lamps as well....

post-6981-0-98712200-1390337350_thumb.jpg

I've reduced the brightness in the photo in order that the lights show up a bit more. I was very pleased with the wiring, set everything down into the Kitchen, where it will be out of sight. This included testing, by using a "bread board" (the white board to the right is connected to 16v AC.

A bit more soldering almost saw everything complete.....

I tested it again, but used my test leads, rather than the circuit I had just made... and managed to blow the top off the new DCC Concepts table lamps :-(

I was using this carriage as a test for how to wire up the Centenary carriage which is still in undercoat at the back of the work bench - that Carriage has 8 lamps inside and would have been a lot more expensive if I had blown that up!

• RMweb Premium

Batch of new names ordered from Jackson-Evans - this will be interesting!

Includes new plates for the 61xx 6102 and 6105 (Shedded at Slough in 1936); Castle x2 (Windsor & Treggena); Star x1 (Knight of the Bath) and finally Dukedog 3206.

I have also bought some Green blanking plates, in the hope that it might ale changed locos from GWR to the shirt button livery. If it doesn't work, I guess the meths will come out and they will be repainted!

Hi Neal,

I've just caught up with this thread, your layout is excellent, I just wish I was as good at modelling as you are. One question tho, the silver paint you mention in post 180 on the back of the coach wheels, is this the same as circuit paint? I tried some on Farish n gauge wheels with mixed results; some were fine and on others the plastic bushes insulating the axle from the wheel melted when placed on live track! I tried using differing amounts (within reason) but I couldn't find a reason why the bushes were melting. Any info would be appreciated

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal,

I've just caught up with this thread, your layout is excellent, I just wish I was as good at modelling as you are. One question tho, the silver paint you mention in post 180 on the back of the coach wheels, is this the same as circuit paint? I tried some on Farish n gauge wheels with mixed results; some were fine and on others the plastic bushes insulating the axle from the wheel melted when placed on live track! I tried using differing amounts (within reason) but I couldn't find a reason why the bushes were melting. Any info would be appreciated

Regards

Andy

Yes I think it is circuit paint - will add a photo later for you. No idea why the bushes would melt / why there would be any heat involved at all, sorry! - Try a Google search for known issues. I'm using this method on a few wheels, with no issues (other than they dry joint situation on one carriage.)

Hi Neal

Try brake fluid but be careful and take you time, wipe over the item to be remove with some fluid on a cotton bud leave it for about 30 seconds then wipe off with a clean paper towel after every application, it may take several attempts then wash with warm soapy water to remove any residue.

be careful if you do use meths it will grab the paint underneath at the same time if you over do it, use same method as above.

If your up for fixing plates I've still go 14 sets to go on. :swoon:

Thanks very much Bob. I have tried meths before and as you said, ended up taking off a load of paint. Don't have any brake fluid, but will get some and try that.

As for fixing 14 plates... err love to help you... But I'm a few miles away at the moment!!! - Have fun.

Thanks guy's for the comments.

Neal.

Popeye, on 25 Jan 2014 - 00:09, said:snapback.png

Hi Neal,

Regards

Andy

Yes I think it is circuit paint - will add a photo later for you. No idea why the bushes would melt / why there would be any heat involved at all, sorry! - Try a Google search for known issues. I'm using this method on a few wheels, with no issues (other than they dry joint situation on one carriage.)

Thanks for the info Neal, I'll be interested to know what brand of paint you use as well as how you used it (if thats not a dumb question). The paint I have is made by bare conductive and is the first one i've used. I'll do some more internet research before I use it again

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Frustrating day (again) in the Railway room.... But first carriage lighting...

post-6981-0-24082600-1390679105_thumb.jpg

I bought the circuit paint from ebay for (I think) about £8. It's applied to the back of the wheel, (fig 1) which combined with the spring (2) over the axle,. which os the in turn connected to the carriage cables. Pretty sure the paint is silver based, probably don't need as much as I have put on. It comes with a funny brush on the lid, which is more like a stick. The top bottle is fluid only (no paint) in case it needs thinning.

Archived