Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Billy, Andy has nerves of steel. When he came to see me in November he got me started weathering some wagons - which was fine, as it's difficult to muck up a cheap wagon wrongly.

Then he got his airbrush out and within minutes had me airbrushing his brand-new Ivatt. I didn't do too badly, but it's not something I'd prefer to do on my own new loco.

Must admit, I did enjoy it - and the wagons (done using paint and brush) were easy.

Jeff

I have just been back on Andy's Weathering thread, now I think I will have a session on his Trebudoc videos.  :locomotive:

With Andy, Jason, yourself and so many others here its like having access to multiple personal tutors  :declare:

• RMweb Premium

I have just been back on Andy's Weathering thread, now I think I will have a session on his Trebudoc videos.  :locomotive:

With Andy, Jason, yourself and so many others here its like having access to multiple personal tutors  :declare:

Thanks for the compliment, Billy, but I don't feel in the same league as those two. KL was a great learning experience, but when it comes to certain things - weathering and (some) scratchbuilding, I'm an amateur. Give me a field, wall, viaduct or bridge and I can manage!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have you done any more since Jeff?

Bodge :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:  don't wind him up, he's stressed enough without a layout. :O

Hmmmmmmmmmmmpphhhhhhhh ..... I'm going to hide in the corner and cry!!!  :nono:  :nono:

Like my Railroad 9F, real coal, front pipes, modified front steps, lamp, cab doors, crew etc, and runs so sweet, its actually quieter than any of my Bachmann Std's.

attachicon.gifDSCF1020.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1026.jpg

And at £60 a damned sight cheaper.

Bodge :sungum:

Shame on you Andrew Peters, there is a MOULDED HANDRAIL on that model...

I don't know how you can sleep at night.

I'm still recovering from a 40 minute read of the Hornby section where people are waiting for new Southern Region Mk1s from Bachmann or Hornby with the correct placing of crests and such to suit Feb 1963-on, on one particular train, or else they 'will have to wait'... and the shade of green will have to be right of course.

Is there something in the water in England which causes this? I know in WW1 and WW2 we NZers who were really just one generation from the UK thought the basic 'Pom' (I hope that word isn't offensive, it's not used here that way)was a bit inclined to stand around waiting to be told what to do, but this cannot be true, surely?

• RMweb Premium

Rob, 

I think the problem isn't generic to Brits, I think it's a function of living in 2014.

Ten or twenty years ago there was a much narrower choice of running stock available. If you wanted something doing, you did it yourself as it was unlikely your specific model was ever likely to appear. Nowadays, we are spoilt for choice and if late-crest isn't there this year it'll be here next. So a lot of people aren't prepared to "do it themself" and they wait.

I want KL to look similar to the prototype - the S&C in general. I don't care if the loco running number isn't quite right - if I can buy the correct one, I will. If not, I'll put up with it or I'll change the number. But I want it running, not waiting years for the exact model to come along.

I think the cross-section of people on some of the threads is very narrow. They want everything to be the way they want it. Don't judge the Forum members by an obsessive group of 20 people, cycling round the same arguments. Look at Bodge - if he likes it, he runs it. Most of us are prepared to do something and not wait forever.

And NO, "pom" isn't offensive in any way. I feel sorry for anybody who feels that it is. 

Jeff

No I don't think there are any molded hand rails on that one you upside down Batty person, (offended by being called a POM, not me you EXPORT) HAHAHAAA hhaha.

Nice one.

Bodge :sungum:

o no I meant smokebox handle shame on me...

Actually damn nice weathering, when I look at my models with normal room lighting, or even enhanced room lighting, I don't see half the details that certain RMwebbers think necessary, and I'm not intending to be at all pejorative when I comment on the detail which some think as being essential, because some things need to be 'right' and it varies with people.

Maybe the advent of the digital camera has made us more aware of things that are actually very hard to see with the naked eye.

For the latest Black 5 pic I first re-numbered it 44811 and had the shedcode changed and all, before realising that 44811 was Derby-built not Crewe and thus had the incorrect builder's plate... someone would have pointed this out, I have no doubt.

I go to sleep at night hearing people saying, "it's a nice photo, BUT...... "

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure if it is the age of the modellers or a lack of perceived skill but a lot of people, well some anyway, will not do anything in the way of modelling except take something out of the box.

Now personally, I cannot see why Hornby cannot make a Cambrian 4-4-0 Sharpe Stewart small boiler loco and save me the hassle.  I would obviously want wire handrails, and working sand.  I am sure they would sell at least two, well perhaps only one, but I would not want it for more than say sixty quid.  Sounds reasonable to me, but then I have had a large whisky and so most things sound reasonable.  ;)

• RMweb Premium

That's a really nice pic Rob, stunning scenery in that part of the world, BUT the camera CAN LIE, its not raining,hhahhaaaa. :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bostik Bodge :sungum:

It doesn't always rain up there. Nearly always, but not always! Irrespective, it's a wonderful place to be.....

Rob, of course, would claim the duke was travelling so fast he had to use an incredibly high shutter speed, so the raindrops didn't show!

Anyway, keep those LNER interlopers off the S&C!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

LNER?  I thought the Duke was supposed to be the answer to the WCML.  :yes:

You are quite right, Chris. It was designed as a Standard Class 8 for the WCML. However, as it was a virtual one-off I don't want to be tempted to buy one - so I've mentally labelled it as an LNER "mutant" to be shunned!

Bit crazy. As Bodge is currently saying - "send for the nurse"!!

Jeff

I am not sure if it is the age of the modellers or a lack of perceived skill but a lot of people, well some anyway, will not do anything in the way of modelling except take something out of the box.

Now personally, I cannot see why Hornby cannot make a Cambrian 4-4-0 Sharpe Stewart small boiler loco

small boiler loco and save me the hassle.  I would obviously want wire handrails, and working sand.  I am sure they would sell at least two, well perhaps only one, but I would not want it for more than say sixty quid.  Sounds reasonable to me, but then I have had a large whisky and so most things sound reasonable.  ;)

It truly is an education coming here, often we come here and the posts explain things & we are informed, sometimes we have a post like the one above. :no:

I haven't got a clue what the 2nd paragraph is about having never seen or even heard of a Cambrian 4-4-0 Sharpe Stewart small boiler loco, so onto the internet, I am now informed although I may not fully understand. :declare: 

I may even be a little confused but I am learning.  :O 

• RMweb Premium

It truly is an education coming here, often we come here and the posts explain things & we are informed, sometimes we have a post like the one above. :no:

I haven't got a clue what the 2nd paragraph is about having never seen or even heard of a Cambrian 4-4-0 Sharpe Stewart small boiler loco, so onto the internet, I am now informed although I may not fully understand. :declare: 

I may even be a little confused but I am learning.  :O 

Don't worry Billy! I've never heard of it either - though that's not saying much, as I'm certainly no authority on locos!

You are quite correct - it really is an education on here, made easy by the way in which information is divulged and the encouragement to check/find things out.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

That is the fun of being interested in small railways.  The Sharpe Stewart 4-4-0 was also used by the Furness Railway, but none lasted long enough to reach BR so no R-T-R will ever be made.  As there are two railways then you would think there might be a kit, and there is, but only in 'O' gauge.

I also have an interest in the LCDR as my wife's grand parents lived in Faversham for a time.  Their locomotives became part of the SECR and again not many, if any, survived into BR, or the prime R-T-R era.  There was a limited run of private owner vans from the Shepherd Neame Brewery so all is not lost.

If you model at the end of the 19th century or earlier, it will have to be scratch built mostly, and even the beginning of the 20th most of the classes that originated then are sold in a later form.

Having said all of that they were lovely looking locos, and most of the time they would have been fairly clean and well looked after.

That's a really nice pic Rob, stunning scenery in that part of the world, BUT the camera CAN LIE, its not raining,hhahhaaaa. :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bostik Bodge :sungum:

Thank Mr Stick-On Bostik

A pleasure to be back in the world of modelling here, even if the size of the model railway is, um, a bit limited...     I have just come from the Hornby threads where a lot of noise is being made, some by me, about Hornby models, and several people are quite critical of Hornby, all with the best of intentions. Many cannot accept that the quality of the Britannia and Clan hasn't been replicated in the Duke.

Actually Jeff could build his KL2 on the site of his new home before it has a roof to better replicate the S&C. Real rain, a new approach to modelling realism...

Today I'll graft Carlisle Black 5 44884 onto a scene... getting very lazy.  There are more important things like  Merchant Navy engines to photograph soon, but it's summer here  (grey windy and cool just like England)  and all is well.

LNER?  I thought the Duke was supposed to be the answer to the WCML.  :yes:

Somebody put some Teachers into Jeff's Milo....

Actually the Duke was close to being as good as, say, a rebuilt Merchant Navy, but such is the parochialism and irrational affection for machinery which affects people, that no DECENT WCML engine man would have said he favoured it over a Duchess.  And the ECML men, well, they just drove what they were given... weird valve-timing and all...

I agree Kal, Its the same as people complaining about small details on RTR stock when the track gauge is MILES OUT. :nono: :nono: :nono: :scared: :scared:

AND WHILST WERE ON HE SUBJECT,

When will somebody make RTR 16.5mm Track with the correct sleeper spacings so that at least it looks about half right. :O

Baron Von Bodgit. :no:

Yep, I did wonder about track on a few occasions, I considered EM briefly and then thought, considering the effort to still end up with something that's is wrong....

I then considered hand built OO track and while it can look really good, again , considering everything else I have to do and the fact I have at best only half a lifetime left, there are other priorities.

Before the last relay of track, I did toy with idea of cutting all the sleepers and altering the spacing and on a trial it did look better, but as the sleepers are so crap/small, I felt again the effort would not be repaid.

So in the end I went with what was simple and cost effective.

If they ever make something as simple and as cost effective and that looks better, I will swap, but until then or until I have enough time on my hands to enjoy the hand built activity, it is peco streamline :(

Regardless though I think I will always stick to OO gauge.

• RMweb Premium

I agree Kal, Its the same as people complaining about small details on RTR stock when the track gauge is MILES OUT. :nono: :nono: :nono: :scared: :scared:

AND WHILST WERE ON HE SUBJECT,

When will somebody make RTR 16.5mm Track with the correct sleeper spacings so that at least it looks about half right. :O

Baron Von Bodgit. :no:

Wouldn't you consider SMP/C&L finescale as, effectively, being RTR? I used metres of the stuff, bought in boxes of 10 just as you'd buy Peco. 

Yes, it's 00 but the sleeper spacing is correct (I admit it's a bit more expensive than Peco).

The matching turnouts (as it's all made by Marcway) are also, effectively, RTR.

Jeff

Archived