Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I presume that the list is of locos that define the layout and not just the classes that we like. In which case, for Bacup it sort of depends on the era I am running at any given time because although I have seen photos of a few different classes on the line, I am not sure that they would have been seen there at the same time. For instance, would Black Fives have ventured up the line when there were still a good number of ex-L&Y locos available?

Anyway, here goes for my take on things, along with an explanation (to the best of my limited knowledge) of why.

1950's steam:

Aspinall Class 5 2-4-2T

Aspinall Class 27 0-6-0

Stanier 2-6-4T

When Bacup still had a shed up until the mid 50's, I have seen photos of all three on shed there. Of these, I need to finish the class 27 kit.

1960's steam:

Stanier Black Five 4-6-0

Austerity 2-8-0

Ivatt 2mt Mickey Mouse Mogul 2-6-0

First two on freight, latter on an RCTS special. All passenger services on the line went over to DMU in the late 50's. the photo that provided inspiration for the layout showed a Black Five up there in late 66 on a Target freight (mostly just coal in 16 tonners from what I can ascertain from other shots) a couple of months before closure.

Diesel:

I don't think I have ever seen a shot of a diseasel in Bacup other than DMU's. however, for completeness of this poll, because they might have got up there and because I quite like them (although keep it under your hat)..........

Class 24

Class 25

Class 08

DMU:

Cravens 105

Derby Lightweight

Class 101 (although they actually weren't, but looked similar. Can't remember who built them)

Of these, the Cravens were the most common used, with Bury shed only having one DL.

With the exception of the diseasels, these to me are the classes that define the line.

I'm constantly amazed at the level of historical accuracy people go into on their layouts… and it's something I aspire to, but for now, I've a purely fictional layout in a non-prototypical setting. 

Although I love locos, I've no real knowledge as yet of what ran where etc, I just know what I like

Steamers has to be the Pacific Duke of Gloucester for passenger running, and the 9F for freight - I've just fallen in love with the pure looks of the beast - before I discovered KL I wasn't really a steam Afficionado.. Might be a bit controversial here, but the small tanks and shunters don't really do it for me - maybe I just haven't four the right one yet

Diesel, well I have to say I love the class 08 - such a compact little thing… and at the bigger end, then class 37, 40, to an extent the 56 (but mostly because it was my first loco since my childhood Intercity 125, picked up cheap at my first ever exhibition - would you believe an EM expo - before I'd even heard of what EM was!

Diesels,  I like the little 08s, I like the crocodiles Class 37s (the fact they are quirky and easy to recognise doesn't hurt)

and because a certain person has several I have become rather fond of the class 43s

and for the same reason the Steam A4s, plus I like the names, The Mallard (Kal took me to see where the speed record was recorded) and the Rare Birds.

I like a number of stuff because of the livery (sorry) ie.g. Pendolino (Kal says its a 390) (Kal says its electric or a MU)

I like the Virgins, the EWS, Pullmans (I know coaches not even liveries) and lots of the modern stuff, I love the Graffitti train that Newbryford modelled, and because of him have a superficial interest in those yellows.

I like the pro types Falcon, Lion, and Kestrel. (probably because of the colours if I am honest)

And I like some stuff because it looks good weathered (holds hands up hoping not to get shot) Kernow etc.

I like my Hogwarts Express (yes yes I know not even the right Hall, but it's my incorrect Castle I have a fondness for)

Oh even I know this is not a good list....I think I need to go sit in the corner with a dunces hat. Hey but at least I can recognise a bunch.

Actually when I read this list back and realise I could add a lot more......I think wow two years again I didn't know those names and despite the fact I still occasionally call a loco a train...I am improving.

• RMweb Gold

Tough question Jeff

for the GWR it would be 45xx Dean Goods Bulldog Barnum ohno too many!  Perhaps I can get away with it if I just have a Beconsfield and an 0-6-0 Sharpie for the Cambrian.

this is for a layout set around 1910

In 2mm I was going to go SR in the fifties and  M7 and Spam Can however some good GWR ones appeared and I find myself with a 57xx, 45xx and a Manor.

There is just no way I could stick to three choices

Don

• RMweb Gold

Tough question Jeff

There is just no way I could stick to three choices

Don

Agreed, There's loads more steam I would include in my list - but the schoolteacher would mark me down for not answering the question correctly :(

:D

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, There's loads more steam I would include in my list - but the schoolteacher would mark me down for not answering the question correctly :(

:D

Cheeky, insolent boy. It's after-school detention for you!

I know the difficulty, Al. I mean - how could I NOT have a Black 5 on my list - and I have got 3 of them chipped and weathered!

Anyway, I expect your homework to be in by tomorrow morning....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason, I knew you'd do me proud. And the list was a blend of what would be on your line/what you like running.

I could have asked for more than 3 of each category, but that might make things even more difficult!

To be honest, I thought this "activity" would lead to an interesting discussion and it seems it's started that way. How long until somebody starts arguing the case for "their" loco against yours? Ha ha.....

Don't take this TOO seriously. And Lee, until KL I'd never built a layout based on a prototype. So Merchant Navys often rubbed shoulders with A3s, B12s, Duchesses and 08s - all at the same time. Bit of a mess, but FUN!

Jeff

As someone with leanings towards the west and definitely steam only, I will try to be fair and objective b)

GWR 29xx as the start of the successful 4-6-0 2-cyl designs that became ubiquitous.

4F - a highly successful small tender engine that proved its worth across the whole network.

9F - simply an imposing maid-of-all-workhorse sadly produced a little late in the steam era.

Having taken the pin out of the hand grenade and rolled it under the table, I will retire to see the explosive effect!

Hi all,

My choices were always going to be eclectic (see my previous post!) but I'll try & behave!

Steam: Crab, Castle, Brit.

Diesel: 03, 25, 45.

Units: 105, 120, HST.

Electrics: 1500Vdc 77 Co-Co, 1500Vdc CC6500 (France), 15.5Kvac BR103 Co-Co (Germany).

But, wait! I forgot the Pennsy GG1, the New Haven EP-5, the various Krokodiles, our own Avocet, . . . .

Aargh! Useless Edge!

Sorry!

• RMweb Premium

It could definitely be a controversial discussion, especially when we take into consideration what people are modelling and to an extent, how much they really care. For those of us trying to follow (or base upon) a prototype location, then there is little argument about what we should run, from photographic evidence, records and memories of what locos were used. Of course, there are exceptions to this from specials, diversions, Wakes Weeks, etc., but should they be considered exceptions and as such not really be included on the roster if we are trying to depict an average day? Even if we are basing it on a line or region (for instance the Peak District) then once again, we have a decent idea of what is feasible motive power and what is unlikely or fiction.

That isn't to say that you should not own such locos and run them by the way but, let's hypothetically say that your layout was going to feature in one of the mags and those photos would define in the eyes of the readers what your layout is about. Now you may love your Duchess in maroon livery and run it all the time on your BLT but if it was to appear in a photo in BRM then it would ruin the illusion of the layout for the readers and be passed off as fantasy, even if you had spent years depicting the buildings, signals, landscape, etc., to the nth degree of accuracy. So, with that in mind, Andy Y, Chris Nevard or Steve Flint want to come and photo your layout for their respective mag; which locos would you now pick?

• RMweb Gold

On my 00 S&C layout circa 1920:
Steam-  3F, 2P, compound

If I run diesels for a change:

Class 45, 40, 25

0 gauge layout:

MR 1F 0-6-0T, MR 3F 0-6-0T, M&GN Hudswell Clarke 4-4-0T.

David

• RMweb Premium

I like the way you've set out Bacup's locos, Jason.  Much more informative than just an inventory. Thanks for posting.

Here's the DMU Class 101 Metro-Cammell unit I took on the Wensleydale Railway last summer (later livery, though) and who says we never get deep blue skies?

post-14049-0-29390300-1390481181.jpg

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I'm constantly amazed at the level of historical accuracy people go into on their layouts… and it's something I aspire to, but for now, I've a purely fictional layout in a non-prototypical setting. 

Although I love locos, I've no real knowledge as yet of what ran where etc, I just know what I like

Steamers has to be the Pacific Duke of Gloucester for passenger running, and the 9F for freight - I've just fallen in love with the pure looks of the beast - before I discovered KL I wasn't really a steam Afficionado.. Might be a bit controversial here, but the small tanks and shunters don't really do it for me - maybe I just haven't four the right one yet

Diesel, well I have to say I love the class 08 - such a compact little thing… and at the bigger end, then class 37, 40, to an extent the 56 (but mostly because it was my first loco since my childhood Intercity 125, picked up cheap at my first ever exhibition - would you believe an EM expo - before I'd even heard of what EM was!

If you want a small, nay, tiny steam loco to fall in love with then maybe the (Model Rail) Sentinal may fit the bill.  Superb little shunter as seen on Avago #83 - it has never let us down - and comes in a variety of liveries.

Polly

Jason, if you want my list for a Peak District line then for me its 3F, 4F, 8F, 9F, Super D, Black 5, Fairburn, Std 4, Std 5, Ivatt's by the Bucket load, Stanier 4MT and then of course its Peaks, Rats and the Blue Pullman.

But wait a min, that's more than 3, :nono:  Jeff will be angry. :scared: :scared: :scared: :triniti:

I do love mucky freights, not necessarily big engines but work horses, that will chug along all day on a bucket of coal and a sip of water.

I will run A1,2,3,4's V2's Duchess's and Robinsin 04's and also my Blue era Class 50's 20, 27, and 33's in NSE / Dutch, behind closed doors, but they will PROBABLY never be seen on here for fear of the mocking that Jason referred to earlier.

This is one reason that I may NOT build a prototypical layout or even put it on here at all. :no:

Bodge, :stinker:  because I do :O

• RMweb Premium

The difference with posting on here and it featuring in a mag is that here it is an ongoing discussion where you can cheerily say that you are running a Beyer Garrett because you love them and as such, had to have one to run in your Happy Hour. Bit different in a mag though because surely we would like it to be a record of our layouts and give the illusion of a real place. Obviously there are some that appear in mags where anything and everything is run (in Railway Modeller, they tend to be the 'Through the railway room door' layouts) but when TLGP appears, then I bet you will only run classes of locos that were common to the Peak District. Thing is, you have a decent selection to play with on that front but your Duchess, I presume, wouldn't be featured.

• RMweb Premium

*gasp* I've just reached page 379! Talk about a mid season Planecrash!...

Ah, you've reached the first announcement, have you?

Keep going - there's plenty more in the thread including some interesting "modifications" and future planning....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The difference with posting on here and it featuring in a mag is that here it is an ongoing discussion where you can cheerily say that you are running a Beyer Garrett because you love them and as such, had to have one to run in your Happy Hour. Bit different in a mag though because surely we would like it to be a record of our layouts and give the illusion of a real place. Obviously there are some that appear in mags where anything and everything is run (in Railway Modeller, they tend to be the 'Through the railway room door' layouts) but when TLGP appears, then I bet you will only run classes of locos that were common to the Peak District. Thing is, you have a decent selection to play with on that front but your Duchess, I presume, wouldn't be featured.

Jason, you probably know how my attitude to KL has changed over the last 2 years.

Behind closed doors it's "run what you fancy".

But if the layout was ever lucky enough to feature in a magazine, the loco roster would be appropriate for the scene.

In fact, because of the input from the Forum, my loco buying has become far more focused. Probably explains why 80% of my steamers are Midland or BR Standards.

Jeff

We will be alright then... I do not see AV ever being in a Magazine, .....but with later pictures of errrr... quality on our thread, once an area is complete,  I would like them to look as authentic as our skill allows, so knowing what could or would run there for the time we are trying to emulate in any given picture, would be of definite interest.

That was a long way of saying... Jason, I understand what you are saying and agree.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be so sure of that Kal; the amount of effort you and Jaz put into AV appeals to a lot of people. It is a lot better than a fair few of the layouts that I have seen in the monthly mags (with the possible exception of MRJ but that is a very different - and the best - kind of mag to BRM, RM, MR and Hornby).

As for that thread, it is a bit harsh I suppose but it wouldn't put me off. I think the guy was probably expecting something along those lines with the dock shunter

Wouldn't it be rather fun to have a Magazine article   ..................   imagine   ......................

John has a small Layout, which has a number of Sheds for Engines and Freight Loading, together with 3 x Stations, one large and a smaller one on the main loops and a small Run-Around Terminus, with some Sidings.

The sidings are designed to take 3, 3 & 5 wagons, to enable playing the Inglenook Game, whilst the Loops run longer Passenger and Goods Trains. On the Goods Trucks there are a variety to enable different scenarios, including transporting cars between the 2 car Ramps.

When asked about the Locos, John said that there were a couple of EWS Class 08/09 Shunters and one other with sound, for the Shunting Games [Photo 1]. The sound is not very good but my daughter loves the Whistle and the Brakes.

There is also a Class08 Longmoor Military Railway, for a change, with an Army 0-6-0 ST too [P2].

The Harry Potter with coaches is great for after-story runs and the Giant Spiders [P3] have a sloping run to go into the Forest [well an area with lots of trees to camouflage the hole they disappear down.] [P4]

Meanwhile Mum can be seen going to work on one of the SWT DMUs [P4], where she will later inspect the shortened Pullman train, headed by the Class 47 Prince William, complete with a 2 tone Horn, flange squeal and the driver's door open/shut. [P5]

In a siding the Police guard a Nuclear Flask, waiting for the Cl 56 to collect it [P6] and take it to Hogwart's Castle, for the transfiguration lessons.

When asked what particular era he was aiming at , with the selection of Locos, he said, he hadn't tried for any era, but put thing on the Layout for when they might provide a use. "After all," he said "it is a group of model trains and they are motorised to be played with, and play means imagination. I haven't seen any Layout anywhere, where imagination hasn't played a part somewhere, so where's the limit?"

And on that bombshell, I will stop imagining my Article.

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't it be rather fun to have a Magazine article   ..................   imagine   ......................

John has a small Layout, which has a number of Sheds for Engines and Freight Loading, together with 3 x Stations, one large and a smaller one on the main loops and a small Run-Around Terminus, with some Sidings.

The sidings are designed to take 3, 3 & 5 wagons, to enable playing the Inglenook Game, whilst the Loops run longer Passenger and Goods Trains. On the Goods Trucks there are a variety to enable different scenarios, including transporting cars between the 2 car Ramps.

When asked about the Locos, John said that there were a couple of EWS Class 08/09 Shunters and one other with sound, for the Shunting Games [Photo 1]. The sound is not very good but my daughter loves the Whistle and the Brakes.

There is also a Class08 Longmoor Military Railway, for a change, with an Army 0-6-0 ST too [P2].

The Harry Potter with coaches is great for after-story runs and the Giant Spiders [P3] have a sloping run to go into the Forest [well an area with lots of trees to camouflage the hole they disappear down.] [P4]

Meanwhile Mum can be seen going to work on one of the SWT DMUs [P4], where she will later inspect the shortened Pullman train, headed by the Class 47 Prince William, complete with a 2 tone Horn, flange squeal and the driver's door open/shut. [P5]

In a siding the Police guard a Nuclear Flask, waiting for the Cl 56 to collect it [P6] and take it to Hogwart's Castle, for the transfiguration lessons.

When asked what particular era he was aiming at , with the selection of Locos, he said, he hadn't tried for any era, but put thing on the Layout for when they might provide a use. "After all," he said "it is a group of model trains and they are motorised to be played with, and play means imagination. I haven't seen any Layout anywhere, where imagination hasn't played a part somewhere, so where's the limit?"

And on that bombshell, I will stop imagining my Article.

Sounds like a very typical "non-specialist", "let's enjoy the models for their play value" kind of layout to me. And nothing at all wrong with that.

When are you building it?!!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

Aah, Jeff,

This would be to assume that an imaginary Magazine article is based on a real Model Layout   ........

When are you building it?!!

Well.................   it can't be before I cook the Tea   ......................   then there is looking at Mini Driver's Homework, after which will be cooking Tea for SWMBO   ...................   then it will be story-time and supervise off to sleep  .....     by then SWMBO will be imminent for Tea    ..........   after that will be the washing up and clearing up round the kitchen   ............   

However until then there is helping Mini Driver play her tunes right for playing to her class in the morning   .........   

Tomorrow there is replacing the Back-scene on a Sandwich, because it fell of shivering in the cold, Workshop Conservatory, followed, hopefully, by a DCC Chip in a class 8750 [which I was victimised into buying at last Saturday's Calne Show.] After that, clean the house ready for another M-in-L inspection on Saturday.  ...   :butcher:  :butcher:

Then there is the Saturday, M-in-L formal inspection visit.

Aaah - just proved the Article is imagination, as I never mentioned the 8750   .....     :scratchhead:

Well, where were we - all in all, the Build should be finished by the end of the Weekend   .........     :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Archived