Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Its an interesting conversation about Dementia, we have a colleague at club who has the early traits of it, he will ask a question and then within ten mins  ask the same question again. Now if were going to an Exhibition we write everything down for him and he's fine. If you met him in the street or at a show you would have absolutely no idea of his condition and that I think is what makes things worse for the suffers, no physical signs, so, when things start to show such as re asking the same question then some people think, Oh he's lost the plot, when in reality he is just not well.

The Lounge has got a little dry of late with Jeff busy beavering away in his Garden and others now busy with other projects like The Mill etc, but on a lighter note I need to ask a Gardening question please.

I planted about 100 bulbs alongside my Potting Shed last Oct / Nov and most have started to show their weary little heads. The Daff's have been out and are doing their thing but the Tulips are just showing. Now the Bed in question only get a little Sun very late afternoon  / early evening so could this be the reason for the lateness as we have a neighbour whose garden is ablaze with colour but in the Sun all day?

.Nice pics Rob, but I cant find your own dedicated thread on here that you said you were going to set up, please can you point me in the right direction as I DONT / WONT do Facebook.

• RMweb Gold

Its an interesting conversation about Dementia, we have a colleague at club who has the early traits of it, he will ask a question and then within ten mins  ask the same question again. Now if were going to an Exhibition we write everything down for him and he's fine. If you met him in the street or at a show you would have absolutely no idea of his condition and that I think is what makes things worse for the suffers, no physical signs, so, when things start to show such as re asking the same question then some people think, Oh he's lost the plot, when in reality he is just not well.

The Lounge has got a little dry of late with Jeff busy beavering away in his Garden and others now busy with other projects like The Mill etc, but on a lighter note I need to ask a Gardening question please.

I planted about 100 bulbs alongside my Potting Shed last Oct / Nov and most have started to show their weary little heads. The Daff's have been out and are doing their thing but the Tulips are just showing. Now the Bed in question only get a little Sun very late afternoon  / early evening so could this be the reason for the lateness as we have a neighbour whose garden is ablaze with colour but in the Sun all day?

Writing things down can help. When FiL was taken into hospital for a few days. We had taken MiL in to see him. The next day we gave her breakfast and said we are just taking the dogs for a walk and we will go an see day afterwards. We got back from the walk to find her frantic. I can't find Dad she said. So the next day I wrote it down on paper and she was alright.

Yes the amount of Sunmakes a lot of difference. An area mostly in shade will not warm up so quickly so the plants will come into flower later and there will not be such a good display. You are also further north than us so are likely to be later anyway. OUr Daffs are over now. BTW the little Tete-a-Tete Daffs gave a lovely show.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Writing things down can help. When FiL was taken into hospital for a few days. We had taken MiL in to see him. The next day we gave her breakfast and said we are just taking the dogs for a walk and we will go an see day afterwards. We got back from the walk to find her frantic. I can't find Dad she said. So the next day I wrote it down on paper and she was alright.

Yes the amount of Sunmakes a lot of difference. An area mostly in shade will not warm up so quickly so the plants will come into flower later and there will not be such a good display. You are also further north than us so are likely to be later anyway. OUr Daffs are over now. BTW the little Tete-a-Tete Daffs gave a lovely show.

Don

Just logged in and Don has beaten me to the gardening question by hours! Agree - plenty of sun warms the ground and, over a period of time, allows the bulbs/corms to store up a lot more food for next year's performance.

Don - love Tete a Tete. "Spitfire" is another of my favourites.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

.Nice pics Rob, but I cant find your own dedicated thread on here that you said you were going to set up, please can you point me in the right direction as I DONT / WONT do Facebook.

KL readers will know that I set up a "Rob Index" to reference the pictures he posted in that thread.

The Lounge has been a different proposition, with stuff all over the place. Like Andy, I still think a stand-alone thread - even in the S&C section (so likely to be viewed by the same people) - is a better solution than the pictures spread over hundreds of Lounge pages. Many people appreciate them, Rob, and a centralised place for them would make it easier for all devotees to access.

Also, like Andy, I refuse to have anything to do with Facebook.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

An interesting thing about my memory being a diabetic is that I can't register a thing if my blood sugar is too low. If I get hypoglycemia in my sleep, the following day is a loss, can't concentrate!

All is not lost as I have an appointment to see an endocrinologist next month with a view to getting an insulin pump-electronic pancreas. If it all works out I should be well enough to go back to full time employment.

Wont use facebook either.

Shaun   

• RMweb Premium

Andy.

More sun certainly improves flowering for most bulbs.  Feeding of one sort or another can help too.

Or you can trick them into thinking the sun's shining with a window or white wall reflecting the sun onto them.  I learnt that from one of our raised beds that has both window and white wall opposite.

Have you got a flower bed on the opposite side of the garden where they can grow which you can also see from the shed?  You could try shade loving plants below the shed.  Lily of the valley loves shade, flowers in May-ish, spreads over the years keeping down the weeds, and smells gorgeous (well, I think so ;)  I'm sure others can suggest other shade loving flowers, too.

From our point of view, being a few hundred feet above sea level in the mountains is that our plants tend to lag behind those with gardens down at sea level which round here does means down by the sea, and don't seem to grow as well.   Put it this way, even in the sunniest spot, a few years ago, I only had one strawberry that grew into something edible but the slugs got to it before I did!  So I didn't even get a taster. 

• RMweb Premium

Don, I do love azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias, but the soil up here is far too clay-based for them to go rampant. I've always had to create a specific growing area and regularly top-up with the iron sulphate to keep them happy.

Shaun - good luck with the pancreas device. The only occasions I've been aware of lost memory was as a student - doing what every student does, especially with a bit of peer pressure. Or was that Beer pressure? (Groan! Sorry, couldn't resist).

Rob - as you see, a lot of us have nothing to do with Facebook. We'd be delighted to have a picture thread running parallel to the other S&C bits and bobs.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Don, I do love azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias, but the soil up here is far too clay-based for them to go rampant. I've always had to create a specific growing area and regularly top-up with the iron sulphate to keep them happy.

Jeff

Jeff you couldn't have more clay than we have. I suspect your problem is the PH value. There is not limestone or chalk round here the local rocks are Devon Sandstone and the result is fairly acidic. Add to that the steam at the top of the garden comes off Coniferous woods on Exmoor.

Don

Rob - as you see, a lot of us have nothing to do with Facebook. We'd be delighted to have a picture thread running parallel to the other S&C bits and bobs.

Jeff

That gets my vote of agreement - those awesome pictures really ought to have their own thread, I think.

Cheers,

William

• RMweb Gold

Shaun - good luck with the pancreas device. The only occasions I've been aware of lost memory was as a student - doing what every student does, especially with a bit of peer pressure. Or was that Beer pressure? (Groan! Sorry, couldn't resist).

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Rhododendrons look nice but as I understand it they are now considered almost in the same light as Japanese Knot Weed - a menace, especially in the Dorset area.  Camellias have a great colour but need a lot of TLC which obviously you have.

Rob - great to see your loco pictures and also think they deserve their own thread.

Cheers, Peter BB

Looks like I've been looking in vein Rob, I thought you had a separate thread already.

As Jeff and others have suggested a dedicated thread would be really good, especially with an Index on Page 1, then for example if I wanted to look at some Bulleid Pic's I could go to the index and then to the relevant page and post without trawling through the 360 pages of the Lounge.

Go for it matey.

All the best.

• RMweb Premium

Rob.

Seems we're in agreement that it's a good idea for you to have your own picture thread.  So, if you do, I hope you don't abandon us in the Lounge.  It's great when we get the background to your purchases and then see the different stages you go through to get the desired effect - like the behind the scenes TV programmes which can be as interesting as the programme of film they're portraying.  It reveals the creators' thinking and how they work to turn their ideas into something we can appreciate, understand or even learn to do for ourselves.  AND you could even try out something you're not sure of, on us first - I'm guessing Jeff wouldn't mind that.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Guys and Gall's for all your tips and pics, here's what I have in my flower bed at the moment, these pic's were taken about 10am.

attachicon.gifGarden 001.JPG

attachicon.gifGarden 002.JPG

Cheers again.

This is the first year Andy the bulbs need to multiply before you will get a good display. I reckon it should get better over the next couple of years and it looks quite good now.

Don

Looks like I've been looking in vein Rob, I thought you had a separate thread already.

As Jeff and others have suggested a dedicated thread would be really good, especially with an Index on Page 1, then for example if I wanted to look at some Bulleid Pic's I could go to the index and then to the relevant page and post without trawling through the 360 pages of the Lounge.

Go for it matey.

All the best.

You can view all Robs photos on Facebook.  You do not have to sign in or up to Facebook to see them.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Rhododendrons look nice but as I understand it they are now considered almost in the same light as Japanese Knot Weed - a menace, especially in the Dorset area.  Camellias have a great colour but need a lot of TLC which obviously you have.

Rob - great to see your loco pictures and also think they deserve their own thread.

Cheers, Peter BB

The Problem is Rhododendron SuperPonticum which is an invasive thug of a plant. It spreads from seed. Chose sensible garden cultivars and you will have no problems. I have not heard of Azaleas causing any problems. Camelias don't seem to need much TLC here.

There was a huge clump of the Superponticum up on North Hill which the ponies used for shelter from rain wind and too much sun. The Exmoor National Park removed it all so the ponies now have to put up with the weather. I wish they could have planted something else for them

Don

Cheers Guys and Gall's for all your tips and pics, here's what I have in my flower bed at the moment, these pic's were taken about 10am.

attachicon.gifGarden 001.JPG

attachicon.gifGarden 002.JPG

Cheers again.

Been watering the path Andy?, perhaps you should try the flowers next time :jester:

Seriously, they look good, remember it has been quite cool and dry the last few weeks, but they are as well forward as ours which are probably getting more direct sun than yours.

You can view all Robs photos on Facebook.  You do not have to sign in or up to Facebook to see them.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Thanks Mick. I didn't realise you could do that.

Rob - How many pictures?

Seriously though, I have to agree with everything that's been said above

• RMweb Premium

We had daffs and tulips this year, for the first time in many years. Yo Yo my springer use to charge about the flower beds destroying everything just to annoy Mrs M. Nearly a year since she died.

post-16423-0-60696800-1430434516_thumb.jpg

Yo Yo

On Saturday we took delivery of this little fella, Sid the cocker spaniel.

post-16423-0-43375100-1430434613_thumb.jpg

hence no modelling, too busy cleaning up after him. :resent:

Rob.

Seems we're in agreement that it's a good idea for you to have your own picture thread.  So, if you do, I hope you don't abandon us in the Lounge.  It's great when we get the background to your purchases and then see the different stages you go through to get the desired effect - like the behind the scenes TV programmes which can be as interesting as the programme of film they're portraying.  It reveals the creators' thinking and how they work to turn their ideas into something we can appreciate, understand or even learn to do for ourselves.  AND you could even try out something you're not sure of, on us first - I'm guessing Jeff wouldn't mind that.  :scratchhead:

Hi, as mentioned you an see lots of my pics on

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos

and you don't have to be a Facebook member. I don't have a personal Facebook page at all.

I put pics here in the Lounge from time to time usually with some comments, to save anyone the bother of opening another site, but don't want a dedicated thread of my pics in RMweb, I put some here because people enjoy them and in the Lounge I am among friends.

To be honest I recently, (about six months ago now), found the culture of a lot of regular respondents in RMweb to be far too serious and sometimes downright poisonous, Andy sided with a large number who were complaining to him.   

Thus even if not indexed, Lounge only for me, apart from a very few in my thread in Hornby.

Today I have done 5 or 6 new Ivatt C1 NRM Atlantic pics., results soon.

Cheers,

Rob

As mentioned, probable overkill and haven't even started detailing, backgrounds, or anything.  Not allowed in the Product threads, even though these are largely unmodified. Do you see why I don't much like some aspects of RMweb? 

Isn't the lining on the tender frames impressive? Don't look closely at me hand-made track C&L code 75 bullhead.  Jeff made me do it.

post-7929-0-23656500-1430444821_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-76631000-1430444925_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-16125100-1430444977_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-78883600-1430445024_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-75575500-1430445056_thumb.jpg

I cannot wait to make some good pics of Edwardian dark satanic mills and so on.

A highly impressive model.

Soon to be treated to something like this;   (apologies if I put it up some time ago)

post-7929-0-83666600-1430454878_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Archived