Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

It's probably partly down to the stereotyping that starts when we are children, with girls tending to be bought toys such as dolls and suchlike whereas traditionally, boys were given toy cars, train sets, planes, mecano and Lego, e.g. toys centred more around mechanical items and construction / engineering.

I have found that women who have seen Bacup appreciate the artistic element but have no interest in the locomotives, rolling stock or seeing anything moving whereas blokes who are not modellers are the opposite and will ask straight away to see it working.

I myself admit to being drawn to steam partly because I love watching the coupling rods, valve gear, etc. moving, something you don't get with diesels

Jason and Peter,

I agree on the stereo-typing over toys etc from an early age, and continuing, especially with those who went to school in my era (now in my late sixties) when girls were still being taught domestic science and sewing and the like! I remember the disbelief when one determined young lady decided to study the subjects in sixth form that would get her on to an engineering course! Just wasn't expected of a lass then! Perhaps what Peter's good lady experienced was from people of my age or older. Schools have radically changed now, as has society in general with the massive increase in the number of mums who go to work, and the way that supermarkets have provided 'ready made' food to such a degree that cooking skills seem to be something of a dying art! The schools have adjusted to these changes in society and not always for the best.

My love of steam is what fostered my interest in modelling, living as I did in railway accommodation adjoining a loco shed before the advent of diesels. With a dad as a driver, I spent a lot of time on the footplate, as well as a lot of my playtime in the 'dead engine' sidings. Like you Jason, although I'm fascinated by all types of engineering, I can't raise the same enthusiasm for diesels as I feel for the living, breathing entities that the steamers are!

There is a real dearth of female participation in the hobby as evinced by the percentage of ladies posting on this site, and it is a shame, as those that do get involved seem to be bl**dy good at it! I can only remember one magazine front cover depicting a lady modeller in all these years and to my shame I can't remember her name but she 'scratch built' the layout 'Eastbourne' to an incredibly high standard! Not sure what the answer is but perhaps it would be a start to invite the girls in to our 'man sheds' from time to time, or would many see that as an invasion of their own space.

Peter, I can see this one run and run and..........................

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Pretty sure the lady who did 'Eastbourne' was Vivien Thompson from memory and I recall she was very, very good! Jason, you would appreciate her buildings with the skill you demonstrate in that field! Having remembered her name, I'll have to now go and search it or look out the old magazine!!

My granddaughter is six years old and has her own model railway (definitely NOT a train set as she told her mother in no uncertain terms). At the moment she is working on building platforms and station buildings. She also insists on running in any new stock I acquire/build. She takes me to model railway exhibitions and talks to everybody about their layouts. I have been told I've created a monster ...

Her little brother likes train crashes and has to be physically restrained when near a controller of any description.

• RMweb Gold

Just saw a green BR logo tender doing 50 mph on the northbound carriageway of the M6 near Crewe*. Sadly I was doing about 70 mph heading south so didn't have time to see any more detail once I'd worked out what it was. Nice shiny paintwork though! Amazing what you see in the strangest of places.

* It was on the back of a low loader :)

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree with Jason when it comes to women getting involved in the hobby. Although I've not yet myself come across a little girl who likes Thomas the Tank Engine.

When I take a layout to the local show over here I was surprised to find many youngsters who knew what the British trains were. The older fellas stand there gabbling on about American trains obviously impressed with some of my Stanier, Gresley  Ivatt and riddles types when I don't have a clue what they're on about (shame on me, I must try harder to assimilate). Most women however fail to notice anything other than the flora and fauna, most of which is my artistic wife's work! I'm hoping that she'll get involved again and do the scenery on Queensbury when I get around to it that is.  My hands are too sore to do any modeling at the moment, due to all the gardening and yard work we've been doing.

Squatch 

• RMweb Gold

Dee HATES MODEL RAILWAYS and my hobbies in general, I have a quiet life in my Shed. :O

I didn't know where to give you a Like or a supportive rating. The main thing is you and Dee seem to be quite happy that way.

Don

After 50 years of Olga seeing me trying to get chimneys, domes etc straight and upright on locos, she is quite scathing when she sees models at shows where fittings are not exactly true and says so, usually without keeping her voice down.  On other occasions, no matter how good the modelling, scenery etc if it is not operated properly, more criticism.  Eventually, I had to stop taking her to shows.

She is also a pretty good modeller, making the trees and dry stone walls on Canal Road, as well as a rather nice NER bogie road van.

Sadly she is no longer interested in model railways, but at least it makes for more peaceful visits to shows for me.

Derek

post-6110-0-73593600-1429721296.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Had a trip to the Bo'ness Railway on the Forth last week. Some photos for you to enjoy. The coaches were particularly well turned out.

post-16241-0-83487500-1429722728.jpg

post-16241-0-92735600-1429722738.jpg

post-16241-0-91317700-1429722749.jpg

post-16241-0-33736800-1429722768.jpg

Time for tea and a butty

post-16241-0-32452300-1429722781.jpg

post-16241-0-48710300-1429722819.jpg

post-16241-0-26743800-1429722830.jpg

post-16241-0-15100200-1429722843.jpg

post-16241-0-80395700-1429722853.jpg

Beautiful set of images Jonathan, although I'm an LMS fan, the D49 'Shires' are an attractive loco and that one looks to be in lovely condition, thanks for sharing the images with us.

I believe the Boness and Kinneil also have the Johnnie Walker shunter that was probably the last locomotive to work over the site of the old Hurlford MPD, which is now a whisky warehouse,

until the line was lifted! I always think that my father, who was a driver there in the fifties and early sixties, thought that if his old shed had to go, a whisky bond was a good replacement. He

most certainly wasn't averse to a drop of the amber liquid!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Jason , Jock and others.  

I agree with most of the discussion on the lack of women modellers.  I noted that there are youngsters who are currently interested.  I too have a (very) young granddaughter who likes trains and who nominally gave me a Christmas present of a notice stating 'Grandads Engine Shed'.  She's not far off Brio level so I am sure that that will be out very soon and she will definitely put track pieces together.  Wagons will probably have Lego animals and the such as 'loads' but who cares at that age!.  My son tells me that whenever she hears the sound of trains (we'll get around to locomotives in time) on the television she races to have a look.  We will see how that develops.

I have also donated two RR layouts including some old stock to a young lad ... he was keen when he visited one of our open weekends.  They put it on a bed when he runs it but, in the summer I think he will be out and? lose interest.

Peter

Re-earlier post about lady modellers. Yes, it was Vivien Thompson who modelled Eastbourne in LB&SC days.

On a different tack, just been down to the field near us. A beautiful clear, still night, with the whole universe spread before one. Thought there were supposed to be lots of comets/shooting stars but I saw sweet FA.

• RMweb Premium

Re-earlier post about lady modellers. Yes, it was Vivien Thompson who modelled Eastbourne in LB&SC days.

On a different tack, just been down to the field near us. A beautiful clear, still night, with the whole universe spread before one. Thought there were supposed to be lots of comets/shooting stars but I saw sweet FA.

Yes, a beautiful night with the crescent moon and Venus nearby.

Not surprised you saw very little, Peter. The April Lyrid meteor shower is pretty mediocre - if you were lucky you might catch 10ish meteors streaming from the radiant per hour. But a nice pastime on a warm(ish) clear night!!

Jeff

Evening Jeff and Peter,

Whilst I agree about the dearth of visible meteorites at this time of year (we have so much light pollution that the 'Lyrids' are hard to notice. I personally never get disappointed looking at the heavens - I only have to stare up into the Milky Way (almost overhead in our back garden at the moment) with lights out and I start to imagine staring deeper and deeper into the expanding universe and remembering with a sense of awe that some of those tiny specks of light are actually whole galaxies bigger than our own. The even more shattering thought is that they are so distant that the light we can see, left them before the 'big bang' even started ours off!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Still nothing doing.

I take it that Venus is the bright light to the right and slightly down from the moon?

At least you've learned something new, Peter, even if no meteors were evident!

Jock, I totally agree. After being familiar with the constellations for over fifty years, I still get a sense of awe when I remind myself of the depth involved when looking out into the night sky. I've discussed this on countless occasions, as a teacher and with neighbours and friends. If Orion is visible I point out that the belt stars are around 1500 light years away, Beltelgeuse (red supergiant, upper left) about 500 light years, Rigel (white supergiant, lower right) about 800 light years. So what appears "flat" is at a huge range of distances.

Jeff

Peter, the Weathergirl said it would be between midnight and about 4am, you may have been a tadge early matey.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Jeff and Peter,

Whilst I agree about the dearth of visible meteorites at this time of year (we have so much light pollution that the 'Lyrids' are hard to notice. I personally never get disappointed looking at the heavens - I only have to stare up into the Milky Way (almost overhead in our back garden at the moment) with lights out and I start to imagine staring deeper and deeper into the expanding universe and remembering with a sense of awe that some of those tiny specks of light are actually whole galaxies bigger than our own. The even more shattering thought is that they are so distant that the light we can see, left them before the 'big bang' even started ours off!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I too much enjoy looking at the night sky. Fortunately here on the edge of Exmoor there is less light particularly looking south and west. Take good lock at a spot then look again through binoculars (or a telescope if you had one) you will see so many more stars and galaxes that could not be seen with the naked eye. A powerfull telescope will see even more.

One thing though didn't the big bang happen all at once. Yes the distant galaxes may have formed earlier out of the result we will not see the newer ones in those parts until some time in the future although we may no longer be here by then.

Don

Evening Jeff and Peter,

Kind regards,

Jock.

That for me is one of the beauties of holidaying in Wales or deepest Shropshire with almost no Town lighting illuminating the sky. I've no astrological interest, but love just looking at the Stars on a clear night and breathing un polluted Air.

Had a trip to the Bo'ness Railway on the Forth last week. Some photos for you to enjoy. The coaches were particularly well turned out.

attachicon.gif9.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Jonathan. Last year my wife, Gabe, gave me a footplate experience day at Bo'ness and it was Morayshire that I pretended to drive and fire (driving's the easy bit btw). A wonderful day - you really feel the track on the footplate without the suspension of the coach wheels and seats.

Smaller locos such as these 4-4-0s always seem to be overshadowed by the larger express locos. D49s were a mean loco in their day, hauling 6 or 7 coaches on semi-fast routes.

Glad you had a good day

Mal 

• RMweb Premium

That for me is one of the beauties of holidaying in Wales or deepest Shropshire with almost no Town lighting illuminating the sky. I've no astrological interest, but love just looking at the Stars on a clear night and breathing un polluted Air.

No, Andy, NO!

Astrology is the bunkum where people claim to predict the future by the positions of the stars and planets: "When Uranus is in superior conjunction with Mars you'll be constipated" etc.

AstroNOMY is the oldest of the sciences. 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No, Andy, NO!

Astrology is the bunkum where people claim to predict the future by the positions of the stars and planets: "When Uranus is in superior conjunction with Mars you'll be constipated" etc.

AstroNOMY is the oldest of the sciences. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff and Andy

Both Astrology and Astronomy are bukum ........we all know the world is as flat as one of Andy's baseboards. :mosking: :mosking:

Hi Jeff and Andy

Both Astrology and Astronomy are bukum ........we all know the world is as flat as one of Andy's baseboards. :mosking: :mosking:

And round and carried on the back of four elephants who are standing on a giant turtle as it swims through space.....

Archived