Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Rob

I can entirely understand your reasoning for not wanting your own thread on here for these marvellous pictures. Also, it is a personal choice and shouldn't be dictated by others, even though I'd like to see them on here.

Another set of stunning pictures. I did have a close look at the rail. Nothing really wrong with it and a lot better than others could manage.

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to the Lounge on reaching 9000 posts. Plenty of hot air has been shed over the last couple of years.

At this point I think we need a new approach. To be honest, I'm getting a bit fed up trying to search for things in amongst the blend of stuff in here. I'm proposing to start a parallel thread with a name like "Philosophical Discussions". This will be for all the stuff that is NON-RAILWAY related. The existing Lounge can remain as a Forum for anything remotely railway - Don's garden projects, kit building, Rob's pics etc....

Now it's YOU guys that do the postings, so if you continue to post in the existing Lounge, who am I to stop you? I just feel the Lounge has become very unwieldly, so if I want to look up a RAILWAY topic in there - and there are PLENTY - it's very difficult.

Let me know what you think. I see this as giving EXTRA FLEXIBILITY, not forcing people to make a difficult choice.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

We had a really nice display of daffodils, tulips and anenomes in our front (south facing) garden even though it was only the first year. Unfortunately the local badger family also found the tulips very nice. Over a couple of weeks, once they had flowers on them and so could be easily found by their scent, they were all dug up, the bulbs nipped off and eaten and a set of neatly cut flowers left for us to put in a vase. But sadly, with no bulbs left, there will be no tulips next year. They weren't too neat in digging them up either, with other plants scattered as collateral damage. Learnt a lesson though... no more tulips in the front. The daffs are fine though, I've subsequently learned that daff bulbs are poisonous to badgers, so they leave them alone. Good thing, as the daffs are planted in the lawn and they already make a bit of a mess of that grubbing for worms. They would have completely ruined it if they'd dug up the daff bulbs!

Neil... who is no longer quite so keen on badgers as he was this time last year!

Congratulations to the Lounge on reaching 9000 posts. Plenty of hot air has been shed over the last couple of years.

At this point I think we need a new approach. To be honest, I'm getting a bit fed up trying to search for things in amongst the blend of stuff in here. I'm proposing to start a parallel thread with a name like "Philosophical Discussions". This will be for all the stuff that is NON-RAILWAY related. The existing Lounge can remain as a Forum for anything remotely railway - Don's garden projects, kit building, Rob's pics etc....

Now it's YOU guys that do the postings, so if you continue to post in the existing Lounge, who am I to stop you? I just feel the Lounge has become very unwieldly, so if I want to look up a RAILWAY topic in there - and there are PLENTY - it's very difficult.

Let me know what you think. I see this as giving EXTRA FLEXIBILITY, not forcing people to make a difficult choice.

Jeff

I'm easy either way, as my own contributions are about models and real trains of yesteryear, a degree of personal news is ok as it rounds out the character of the writer, but I don't write much in public (or privately for that matter) about Jan and myself, except where it is relevant, i.e. why I don't do much actual modelling and prefer to make illustrations using RTR models.

It is this variable degree of flexibility which enables me to make reference to the highly skilled modellers who I would like a lot more if they weren't hypocritical about what I do, saying nice things to me privately and other nasty things publically, they are very skilled photographers and modellers, my freely-offered pics make it harder for them to ask £200/page, as they do or used to do from their own photos.

But that is all about the philosophy of news, the web, social media and so on, and to that extent I can see where people once making a fair living from their skills might go on about the dishonesty of edited photos, even when clearly edited with smoke and steam.

I haven't said this at all well, I hope it makes some sense.

Cold weather here, which is rather nice.

Took these photos just now of the C1 Atlantic....  stunning!

post-7929-0-52722000-1430516498_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-08939800-1430516546_thumb.jpg

Best to all,

Hope you don't all get hay fever!  :)   (we have high pollen counts here in Spring!)

Rob

Jeff

I thought the Lounge was conceived as a free-for-all for all kinds of topics :scratchhead:

If it is limited for just railway topics, then what happens when that certain topic strays away?  Do we then have to carry it on, on yet another thread,(can anyone be bothered or have the inclination to do that).  Railway related (and most other) posts DO stray off topic as a natural course then either come back on topic or die.  Some topics that start out far away from being anything about railway can drift towards and include railway terminology.

I have enjoyed the astro posts very much and learned some things along the way even though I have not contributed to any of them.  I have had a lifelong passion for Astronomy and have a 10 inch reflector that does not see the dark of night as often as it once did.  So do you start a new thread for Astro and a new thread for Physics and another for Gardening?

IMO trying to steer posts into different sections at this stage won't work with a thread that has been going so long but it is 'your' thread Jeff and you are entitled to do exactly as you wish. :sungum:

All I will say is that in your very first post on page 1 you offered and encouraged the posting of every topic under the sun in the Lunester Lounge 'aside from railway modelling' :scratchhead:

EDIT:  oops! did that sound a bit heavy handed, sorry if it did but it was not meant to be that away :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I have to say that I agree with Mick, and your original ethos for the lounge stated in the first post. I know it's a railway forum, but the lounge has made it more of a community. I've not met many of the posters, but when I do manage to I feel like I already know them as friends, mainly because of the wide ranging interests discussed here. There are lots of threads discussing railway related things here... as there should be, but there's nothing else quite like the lounge. It does, for me, exactly what it was set up for. I'm also not sure that trying to change the overall direction of a 361 page thread will work very well, it would still be unwieldy to look through without an index, and I don't think an index is needed for what it is at the moment.

Having said all that, it's your thread Jeff. I'll support whatever you decide, and attempt to join in the discussions wherever they are. But I would miss the way they all come together here.

Kind regards, Neil

Having said all that, it's your thread Jeff. I'll support whatever you decide, and attempt to join in the discussions wherever they are. But I would miss the way they all come together here.

Kind regards, Neil

That's the word I failed to include in my post to Jeff, thanks Neil.

Having thought about it and read the above posts I think Jeff the Lounge will sort itself out as it is.  I think most of us are aware of our tendency to go off on tangents, and some of these are very enjoyable to read.

I don't know if I would bother looking at several threads, I rarely look at more than 5-or-so on RMweb in a day.

Here is a portrait of GNR 251 with plumbing on the front to be going on with.

post-7929-0-60793300-1430530102_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

I'm with the lads on this one, Jeff;  The Lounge was, I understood, the anything-but-KL thread, where guitars, Cadillac's etc etc (sorry, wrong album!) could be discussed...

I'm sure that those of us who are anal-retentive (heck, we're railway modelers, so that means most of us!) can help find things if people can't do it themselves.  

But this was your baby.  As I'm sure everyone will agree, we're your guests, and will follow your lead.

Cheers

Scott

Took these photos just now of the C1 Atlantic....  stunning!

attachicon.gifImg_1605a_r1200a.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_1599a_r1200.jpg

Best to all,

Hope you don't all get hay fever!  :)   (we have high pollen counts here in Spring!)

Rob

Rob,

I can only assume that is the new Bachmann one?  If so, there can be NO complaint about how far models have come, over the 30+ years that I have been buying them...the improvement from my Hornby Pannier of the mid 80's is...well, more than my skills have improved over the intervening time !

James

• RMweb Premium

Mrs. S. tried changing things around in our lounge. It didn't work out and it got put back the way it was! If you open up another lounge how do you expect every one to be in two places at once.

The lounge is usually the first place I go once I've dealt with business, if only to admire the latest pieces of art work from Rob!

Sasquatch the lounge lizard.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the Lounge was conceived as a free-for-all for all kinds of topics :scratchhead:

If it is limited for just railway topics, then what happens when that certain topic strays away?  Do we then have to carry it on, on yet another thread,(can anyone be bothered or have the inclination to do that).  Railway related (and most other) posts DO stray off topic as a natural course then either come back on topic or die.  Some topics that start out far away from being anything about railway can drift towards and include railway terminology.

I have enjoyed the astro posts very much and learned some things along the way even though I have not contributed to any of them.  I have had a lifelong passion for Astronomy and have a 10 inch reflector that does not see the dark of night as often as it once did.  So do you start a new thread for Astro and a new thread for Physics and another for Gardening?

IMO trying to steer posts into different sections at this stage won't work with a thread that has been going so long but it is 'your' thread Jeff and you are entitled to do exactly as you wish. :sungum:

All I will say is that in your very first post on page 1 you offered and encouraged the posting of every topic under the sun in the Lunester Lounge 'aside from railway modelling' :scratchhead:

EDIT:  oops! did that sound a bit heavy handed, sorry if it did but it was not meant to be that away :sungum:

Thanks for your comments, Mick. I DID want feedback and appreciate what you said.

I think you missed the point, though.

The way I see it, there would be TWO Lounges. One for non-thread specific, anything-goes, general RAILWAY chat. The second would be for EVERYTHING else. So astronomy, physics, gardening, cars, music etc would all go into there. I agree, there's bound to be overlap and straying off topics, but I'd like to separate all the specific railway chat into its own area. The railways stuff can all continue in here. The new thread - for the universe minus railway - will be set up running parallel.

I don't see this as a problem. Railway kits, modelling, photos etc are very specific. I think the Lounge is just too large now (smaller than KL, but that was just one theme) and needs modifying.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Having thought about it and read the above posts I think Jeff the Lounge will sort itself out as it is.  I think most of us are aware of our tendency to go off on tangents, and some of these are very enjoyable to read.

I don't know if I would bother looking at several threads, I rarely look at more than 5-or-so on RMweb in a day.

Here is a portrait of GNR 251 with plumbing on the front to be going on with.

attachicon.gif251_C1_Ivatt_Atlantic_GNR_portrait1_52ab_r1200.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

All it would take is a click on a thread adjacent to this one. And just think, your photos would have even greater prominence in amongst the railway topic discussions. AND because they wouldn't be swamped it'd be easy to look through them.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments. PLEASE don't get the idea that I'm trying to inconvenience or split the Lunester community. Not the case - that would be the last thing on my mind.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

We have the rest of the forum to talk railways. I find the lounge great to come in, plonk me arse on the sofa and have a chat about b*****ks at the same time giving them a good scratch and no one minds.

• RMweb Gold

Suits me as it is,all in one thread, I know I am missing some good stuff because I cannot follow everyone's threads.  I dont think you need an index a search in the thread should find something. However it is your thread Jeff.

Don

Hi Jeff

We have the rest of the forum to talk railways. I find the lounge great to come in, plonk me arse on the sofa and have a chat about b*****ks at the same time giving them a good scratch and no one minds.

Yes Clive, I think reading between the LINES (sorry about that) that is what Jeff originally set the Lounge up for, CHECK OUT POST #1 for Jeff's original comments.

And no sausage talk in my new thread Banger Hill, Porkchester, Snortington Lane, Pigloo Sidings, please Clive, hahahhah. :no:  :no: :no:  

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

As others have said it is your thread and you can do with it what you want, although I cannot see what the problem is as this was set up to take the general discussion away from your railway thread.  I am not sure two threads for basically the same thing would work.

However the biggest and most difficult question is what you would call it?

The Living Room?  No too workaday.

The Parlour?  No, have to be on your best behaviour and you can only use it on Sundays.

The Study?  No, too high brow.

The kitchen?  The place where people congregate to get away from the party.  May be not.

Oh well, never mind, I would just stick with the Lounge.

Sorry Scott, you've lost completely on that one mate, is it some Aussie slang?

Ha - it's what we joking call our accent down here; "'strine" is the nasal, abbreviated way some of the locals say "Australian"...  :jester:

Archived