Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

ChrisN

Ah thank you I was looking at walthers, although I had barely started when the Chinese food arrived. Knowing they are actually Preiser does make it easier. Thank you for the heads up.

At the moment, I am madly hunting through boxes I tidied up because visitors were coming and the two small boxes with my film crew and photographers have 'disappeared' pesky little small boxes.

The good news is I think I have found my sweet spot for most of the buildings on the Heartbeat areas. So I just need to confirm the track leaving the Goathland station and across the water and as far as the road bridge, then I can start carving in ernest. Then I just need to scratch build a bundle of trees. I plan to test out a couple of ideas using the PIR, before finalising the Goathland station surfaces, once I have an acceptable 'method' and practising on the generic scenic area will be ok if I make a few learning errors. Connecting smaller bits of PIR and hiding joins will be the bit I want to 'improve/perfect'

I saw a fantastic set of people / photographers, the detail was amazing, then I saw the scale G!!!! Have you ever considered making a one off little bit of scenery adding a couple of bits of large scenic items a car, for instance, to make a highly detailed photograph?????

• RMweb Gold

ChrisN

I saw a fantastic set of people / photographers, the detail was amazing, then I saw the scale G!!!! Have you ever considered making a one off little bit of scenery adding a couple of bits of large scenic items a car, for instance, to make a highly detailed photograph?????

Jaz,

Interesting question.  As I try and model the late Victorian period I have spent a lot of time looking at figures to see what is available and what is convertable.  There are always figures that I would like but they tend to be in '0' gauge, 1/35.  The detail is so much better.  However, I am not sure I want to get into dioramas as I have not got a layout yet.  Once I have built my layout(s) then perhaps I might consider it.

The other side is that when someone says, 'You've missed of the left handed dangly whirly bit', you can always reply, 'Well in 4mm you could not portray it accurately anyway.'

• Like 2

I had been waiting for the 1mb photo limit to be lifted, but finally decided to do it another way.....you get several projects at once though.............

Ok I have moved on to another part of Goathland down by the railway bridge

Goathland Hillside, Tiramusu and Chocoloate Sundae and some fray plaster filler on sculptured PIR

med_gallery_17883_2878_119706.jpgrmweb12

Same with more paint

med_gallery_17883_2878_121875.jpgrmweb9

Viewed towards the water feature and station

med_gallery_17883_2878_176130.jpgrmweb11

Goathland Station long view

med_gallery_17883_2878_156708.jpgrmweb10

med_gallery_17883_2878_55154.jpgrmweb8

with some Turf and some Static Grass and the roadway coloured

med_gallery_17883_2878_312229.jpgrmweb2

closeup of the roadway to date

med_gallery_17883_2878_88390.jpgrmweb5

There is still plenty to add, the water feature needs to step up with a small waterfall / weir, trees, fencing, road edging etc. Be we have lift off.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Before hitting Goathland main station I am getting a feel for the product, so first I attack a bit of the replacement Heartbeat area

On the heartbeat area I have attempted to replicate the Kalborough rocks but with the new PIR foam

The PIR is sculptured then burned with a gas blow torch

med_gallery_17883_2878_280280.jpgrmweb4

Some wood dye, some grey, some chocolate sundae, and some black, then some green turf and an odd bush

med_gallery_17883_2878_19093.jpgrmweb1

The almost finished product in the front and to the right the sculptured PIR before 'firing'

med_gallery_17883_2878_213310.jpgrmweb6

closer view of the unfired

med_gallery_17883_2878_70012.jpgrmweb7

A birdseye view

med_gallery_17883_2878_288212.jpgrmweb3

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I have also been working on a kit

med_gallery_17883_2781_47879.jpgrmweb19

The chicken on the feed bowl got left out

med_gallery_17883_2781_200518.jpgrmweb20

inside coloured

med_gallery_17883_2781_15785.jpgrmweb21

outside coloured

med_gallery_17883_2781_96213.jpgrmweb22

close up of cocks

med_gallery_17883_2781_48516.jpgrmweb23

This is still a work in progress and I am playing with Deluxe materials scenic rust, the first layer is barely visible......trying again....it does say you can build it up.....just as well

• Like 5

:blush:  It was Kal's idea originally....so he must be the master modeller....and I'm the apprentice.  :training:

For a start off, I would NEVER have thought to try to set fire to my scenery!!!!!!!!

Edited by Jaz

Hi Both,

Coming together again ....   lovely to see.

Those rocks and little coverings of Vegetation are delightful........ :sungum:

I hope you are firing that foam outside, the fumes just 'ain't nice  ....   :O

J

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

Ah well, it was raining and cold, I did open a velum and retreat to make Kal a cup of tea....does that count? Its the fine dust that is actually a pain it makes me sneeze and cough......and Kal keeps saying WEAR A MASK!!!!!!

edit=velux not velxu

Edited by Jaz

Aaahh  ....

Its the fine dust that is actually a pain it makes me sneeze and cough......

It is the poisonous Gas, not the dust which will get you   ....   :O

You are pulling my leg, aren't you  .......   you wicked pair  .......   I want to see the layout finished and working   ......   there is far too much lovely work in there  .....  

J

• Like 1

..................................   Oh yes........

and that Policeman needs to get his jacket on  ...............   before his Mum comes along and gives him a telling off in public   .............    sooo embarrassing  .......      :nono:

J

Blame the modelling company for the shirtless copper, did you notice he stands not far from where the streetwalker was earlier in the thread? At least she has moved on....

But your right Kal says wear mask when sanding AND ventilate when burning.....and with the asthma I should know better. And it really stinks when you burn it. I would not recommend other people follow my example, at least without better precautions. Oh and sanding makes your eye dry too. :scared:

I had been waiting for the 1mb photo limit to be lifted, but finally decided to do it another way.....you get several projects at once though.............

Ok I have moved on to another part of Goathland down by the railway bridge

Goathland Hillside, Tiramusu and Chocoloate Sundae and some fray plaster filler on sculptured PIR

med_gallery_17883_2878_119706.jpgrmweb12

Same with more paint

med_gallery_17883_2878_121875.jpgrmweb9

Viewed towards the water feature and station

med_gallery_17883_2878_176130.jpgrmweb11

Goathland Station long view

med_gallery_17883_2878_156708.jpgrmweb10

med_gallery_17883_2878_55154.jpgrmweb8

with some Turf and some Static Grass and the roadway coloured

med_gallery_17883_2878_312229.jpgrmweb2

closeup of the roadway to date

med_gallery_17883_2878_88390.jpgrmweb5

There is still plenty to add, the water feature needs to step up with a small waterfall / weir, trees, fencing, road edging etc. Be we have lift off.

Looking great! You Opted for the new Hornby buildings in the end then?

Yes I liked the idea of doing the back, as I like water features so much, I was a bit disappointed that they (the third generation models) still fail to get the sizes to scale, but the front elevations are normally good enough. I have started to get the contours, luckily other peoples work have helped fill in details of the scenic area. The research here (RMweb) has seriously lifted the possible game, now if I could only 'borrow' some of Sasquatch's and Clay's fine work I would have the perfect layout. But as that can't happen I use their work for the scenic level (only hope I can achieve something as desirable) and thank heavens for yours and Silky Jacks reference photographs which are so helpful being modeller orientated. Hopefully with the Heartbeat twist we can add something to the mix. Regardless we will lift our game.  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Using the smaller buildings will make the whole thing look bigger thus setting the station far better into its surroundings and from what I've seen so far we're gonna be left in the shadows over here!

Have you included the wier/waterfall that lies behind the signal cabin or thereabouts. I moved ours to the baseboard joint much closer to the bridge but haven't modelled it yet, I'm going to try PVA as per Allan Downes genius when I get arround to it. 

Sasquatch

That is the aim, getting the pictures is more difficult, I managed these this from GoogleEarth

med_gallery_17883_2878_259012.jpggoathland wall water

med_gallery_17883_2878_235056.jpggoathland road viewing river

If anyone has any pictures of the River Esk / Murk behind Goathlnad I would really appreciate links or uploads....thanking you in advance.