Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

It is amazing how much faster you can do things with a bit of encouragement and some feedback.

For anyone thinking, stop and do it, post here first if you want to dip a toe, you will always get friendly responses.

The only thing you will regret is not doing it earlier.

.....Bear in mind, things on Layout threads are a LOT more friendly than some of the more general threads. If people are being negative they are soon put straight , but it happens so rarely. Do not take my word for it , look for yourself, Layout threads are generally much more restrained.

Agreed what Kal said  .......  

You can use my layout thread as well if you like  ......     there's plenty of space    ......  :O  .....  on the grounds I haven't done much and the Sandwich is rather small  .....   :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think so we're a team.....LMAO.

I have never read this book incidentally, so I hope I have not just dropped myself in hot soup!!!!

Soup?

Definitely not the right book................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/310844009870?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Quote:

'Hurt me!' she begged, raising her skirt as she bent over the workbench. 'Very well,' I replied, 'You've got fat ankles and no dress sense.'

Unquote

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

We hit the model shop.....and they had wills....bonus. 

So I got more roofing

SSMP203 Slates - so no issues with lack of roofing

SSMP211 Plain tiles....represents lots of Goathland buildings being a red plastic.....

I got some other Wills to play with.

SSMP230 concrete blocks these are too big....but for some nice industrial buildings....

SSMP202 Dressed stonework....this one needs a ruler to check it out

Sasquatch was right and I got more.......

SSMP200 coarse stone

and some 

SSMP229 sheet and batten boarding, caught my eye. Good for shed roves and churches.

There was NO slaters, and just one sheet of South Eastern Finecast 4mm stone blocks. So I thought....oh dear.....that's going to annoy someone......but bought it anyway.

But I think I may just carry on scribing as I'm pretty convinced I can make this work. :sungum:

4 sheets for £3.30. 11 packs £33.00 this should set me up  :sungum:

I have yet to cut a single window hole and fit one.......this will need to be addressed.  :butcher:

Question is finish doing the stone? Or cut window and check I can fit the window?.......

• Like 2

Out shopping Jaz, makes a big difference to what my wife used to come home with...lol

I would say...., 'those shoes and that handbag is not to scale, I keep telling you.... I'm not Peter Waterman scale...!?!'

Jamie

Royal%20040.jpg

Wills dressed stonework

med_gallery_17883_3113_72826.jpgrmweb1087willskit44

close up

med_gallery_17883_3113_259920.jpgrmweb1088willskit45

This is very close, although I would have to go back to a horizontal sheet. Lets compare the two sheets I might use

• Like 2

I have just hit a brick wall......it doesn't matter.....how I do it.

The pavement slab or the new dressed stone, when I put them against the stone from the kit it is bigger.....and needs to one smaller by preferably a factor of two.

As in the main building should have the bigger stone, and the bigger stone should be about 9 layers to a window.Which mean the extension should be 18 layers give ou take to the same window.

I can get the look, I can't get the scale. I'm going to check this again later and see if I can resolve it. I still have the 4mmSouthern Eastern Finecast to look at but thats for the main building, 

At this rate to get the look I may have to hand scribe at least one finish, if not both.

Well ... I decided that I would go to Yodels depot to get my blooming parcel. Having arranged to do so, they delivered it before I got there!!!!

Go figure!

So on opening it, as expected it was broken. Fortunately looks easy to repair.

Now the proud owner of a Class 40 Mauritania, sounds ok too, though I have heard better.

Picked up a lighting board for a class 20 with head codes today. I was going to make one from scratch, but for 17 quid, I thought it will save some time.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 3

David 

you have pointed out this quality site before, I had forgotten it and will check.

Thanks for popping it up.

edit=being real stone, and needing mortaring it it would be realistic but the cost is quite high

5.50 for 25sq inches is only 5x5in, that is going to clock up the cash quite quickly.

It is gorgeous stuff tho,

2nd edit=The stone is like minimum 10mm 1cm per stone and 2-3 mm in depth, and appears to be used mostly by the dolls house community. 

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

Thanks for the encouragment. I shall just tease you all with one of the projects that has stopped progress on the layout.

post-1531-0-59442800-1394847642_thumb.jpg

Its my test track for running in prior to chipping. I built it from a control panel from a previous layout.

It has both DC and DCC control and the DCC is also switchable between progam and main track.

Not too bad eh?

Regards LezZ

• Like 5

Ok rather than fretting over which wall effect I am going to use...I am going to work out what size it actually needs to be.

Now I need minimum control factors......

The scale 4mm to the foot, 

The door is the correct ration, and I have adjusted the windows to a fairly close facsimile, their size is now in relation to the door (you have to add the opening above the door)

So firstly need their relationship, to each other if the windows compared to the doors don't work everything will look wrong.

One thing I do need is the stone surround of the windows is a factor (so I need to bear that in mind)

But for the second I put the picture up on my iPad and use a multi scale ruler to measure the house on the iPad then check the windows and scale them to the ones I have made. The relationship works out really well because I get a add 50% to the picture to match the windows and doors. (a nice easy sum)

This soon gives me a broad idea.

N.B. Sasquatch had checked out the extension and the picture with the building being filmed as a police station, and the bush is not in the picture....so we can see where the door should be.And part way through the drawing I realise I have to take the slope and the steps under the extension door into consideration.

med_gallery_17883_3113_167091.jpgrmweb1089willskit45

• Like 4

Ok just to warn you....the first person to put up an indecipherable gets a slapping     :triniti:          :jester:  :jester:

Don't worry about the writing, I worked on several ideas.....so the numbers don't match.....if you mix and match.

I know I know I should redraw it nicely.......yeah gonna waste time doing that!!!

med_gallery_17883_3113_3451.jpgrmweb1090willskit46

The right hand side is just marginally wider

and the drain pipe is a third across

The roof will need to be worked AFTER the four walls are sorted, to work out the pitch.

I still need to make the small window, probably from scratch.

...and in order to trial the Wills sheet cut I have to use Wills Sheet...one way or another.

• Like 1

David Todd.....you a DEAD MAN......I am now training the Dobermans for your next visit.......

YOU just couldn't resist.......and I suspect Jules will be along soon........

I shall be checking your thread out later..... :sungum:  :butcher:  :triniti:

I suspect Jules will be along soon

Who ?.......Oh...."Fast Air" Jules eh !............ :superman:  :pilot:  :pilot:  Angels'..@...12,000.    :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

:angel:  :angel:

:angel:

:hunter:

It just occurred to me........I'm assuming...the edge around the windows are meant to be glued to the back of the wall, as with the door, which leads me to wonder if i overdid the windows sanding....

oooops......I may go read the ins ructions again...... :no:

med_gallery_17883_3113_618433.jpgrmweb1091willskit47

The door you notice is aligned to the top of the windows and not the bottom of the wall

med_gallery_17883_3113_490322.jpgrmweb1092willskit48

So the height needs to align with the windows on the main house

med_gallery_17883_3113_370566.jpgrmweb1093willskit49

like this

med_gallery_17883_3113_343055.jpgrmweb1094willskit50

• Like 2