Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Well now

it seems that the 1:1 Army can still miss the target by 5 MILES!!  .  according to a report last week ...  :O  :O ...   farmer not best pleased apparently  ... :nono:

Indeed, someone rolled a one on their artillery skill check there allright!

• Like 1

66709  Medite

I am looking to create 66709 in both the medite black and the MSC ship liveries.

I thought I could use  66731 to do both, they seem to have the same lighting etc but I am sure it has 5 doors and 66709 only has the 4.

The only ones I think match is 66725, hard to get.....   bit maybe the 66/4 are ok ??  any others with the correct lights and 4 doors?

EDIT  66846 colas   looks like it may be ok?? 66402 DRS/malcom  could be ok too?

Edited by Kal

Yep it was Very cool

Far Far better than Warley. Parking was closer, lighting was better, space was more logical and not as busy , or maybe not as cramped, not sure which , but which ever it was... one of the best and unstressful shows I have been too.

Food was expensive but, not too much more than you would expect in London, And it was tasty, well presented and reasonable size. Very un Warley like.

Would I go again?, yep, though two and a half hours drive is a pain, but parking was easy and other than a hill climb, and it was Free

Met Mick and J there too, so very good day.

Edited by Kal

Loved Alexandria Palace.

The free parking was in woods, people walking dogs etc, the steep walk up the hill was offset by the most amazing view of London.

Queing to get n on Sunday was non existent at 10.15, on Saturday it had so we were told be sometimes 4 people deep at layouts, we had no such crush. Kal and Mick happily discussed the merits of locos. We had time to speak to several people. I was fascinated by one modeller, who used weetabix and PVA to construct cob finish on his models. He had an O gauge property made from real slate, corrugated cardboard and coffee stirrers, and the result with his eye for colour was fantastic, what did he use to make the rust effect? Real rust!!!. I have forgotten his name....and he is published in magazines. So that is a stinker. But he work was lovely.

I managed to sneak into Langley models twice. Photographs will follow as I paint up the models I selected. 

F75e 1930/50 motorcycle shop 9.30

F206 6 x Fisherman Trwlermen 4.85

Cir1 8 assrted clowna 6.55

F121 4 deckhairs and figures (with) 6.60

F151 Film Camera Sound crew and clapperboard 5.25

I also spent another 17£ getting bits and bob for the loose boxes. Anything from sitting sheep, an extra dog (so I can portray both my dobermanns) a  garden roller (to go with the old push lawnmower) a post of sign, some more planters, a letter box, a small garden hose rolled up, a couple of saddled horses, some wheels with tyres another fox, 2 wheelie bins, and others, all nice little detail points. 

The post office sign can transform a building into a village post office. Various bits will end up on Scripps. The planters will be great for one of the stations.  The seated sheep will compliment those I have and increase their numbers. I bought a second coffin. Don't ask my why you need more than one. One is a sad death two is a tragedy, but I have more than one church....or it can be in Scripps garage. Two little bit of railing that will save me some messing about before long. And a couple more crates of bottle for outside pub.  

I was vey tempted by 'the Hunt', which would stand outside a pub have a drink, after a paper hunt. I used to go on these 'hunts' myself. We had two good commons to race across. Half an hour before the whole stables set off, a couple would go out with shoulder sacks of shredded paper or cardboard. They were the foxes. We would then set off in groups who could only follow the group ahead. The fastest would go first, and be the hounds ensuring we never quite caught up with the foxes. Tally Ho's, and a hunting horn, and yipping from the foxes were all part of the 'hunt' Once one of the riders even did fancy dress as a fox (the tail Im afraid to say was real)  and kids on ponies would ride with supervisors who had leading reins in case.. And on the big areas we would all get to race madly after the foxes. A couple of us who would supervise with leading reins in case any of the less experienced needed to be captured. A pair of good riders could pull up an excited pony and then lead them until they calmed down. The kids would then be told how exciting. One of two of the ponies were the usual culprits and their riders chosen appropriately.  And in my experience no one ever got hurt, certainly not any foxes. I should have bought the hunt.....next time.

• Like 4

This one will be used to expand on the TV and Film theme within the layout. And perhaps as these represent an older generation of film producers I might show them being film as well. LOL

med_gallery_17883_3112_52350.jpgrmweb1180langeley models1

They will certainly be an excellent addition to the Heartbeat theme. The clapperboard especially being very evocative of the 1960s....well to me at least.

Having done quite a lot of work as a background artiste (aka extra, mobile scenery or man on cutting room floor) on Midsomer Murders the clapper boards still look a bit like that, although they are a little more high-tech these days!

Edited by C&WR

C@WR/ Foggy

That sound like fun, you should do a little diorama of your memories, and insider knowledge. A great cameo to have, and pass onto the kids.

These will be used to expand on the cove idea. Although I always plan to have a go at making them, especially after seeing C&WRs take on building them. It all takes time, and paintng this will give a quick fix. But I want the full 1960s experience. The donkeys, the deck chairs, the sand castles, the sand and sandwiches, the Punch and Judy. The tea rooms. You name it I want it.

med_gallery_17883_3112_369964.jpgrmweb1182langley models2

med_gallery_17883_2806_367429.jpgrmweb791portlynncove5

med_gallery_17883_2806_1762614.jpgimg1557

med_gallery_17883_2806_806769.jpgimg0001

med_gallery_17883_2806_373085.jpgrmweb116cove1

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

I will love this one. although we have not planned on a full circus or funfair. I do have the advertising car for the fair. I have a couple of the stalls. and my idea of a god circus  visiting town is to have a parade down the street. Today with barely any animals allowed. This is not so easy. But the idea of the clowns coming out to advertise the Big Event is easy to incorporate.

So this one will get some extra work to pump up the detail

med_gallery_17883_3112_308757.jpgrmweb1182langley models 3

The guy on stilts. the clown with the bucket of water, the one with flowers that squirts water, the umbrella pushed inside out, the one walking on his hands, the balloons. I even have a great clown car in my box of tricks which I just need to go find. I love clowns...I have never taken on board their scary alto ego. I love the fact, that they have to register their face and look, and no other clown can just impersonate them. wonderful happy creatures. Toby the dog from the Punch and Judy would fit in well here for a picture too.

A silly bike would be nice if I can source one too, or perhaps butcher one :butcher:

• Like 3

Well ok  ..   but  ......

, but it probably already contains too many clowns

my alter ego [with the "hand on hip" pose] could take a day's holiday be on a Detachment to somewhere nice like Greenham Common ........

[Would have to be a Detachment, as Leave would not be permitted for anyone on the base for an Open-Day.]

• Like 1

J

That's actually a good idea the armed forces have done this sort of think for public events. PA systems have been known to be supplied by armed forces with the soldier setting up and allowing the equipment be used for school open days. We could perhaps have an element of this with even a helicopter with pilot (I bet somebody at some time stretched the envelope), and they could perhaps be helping out a History day....so wearing appropriate gear....gives your alias an opportunity to put on a show. :sungum:

We could go for the Dad's army idea then as well.Bonus.

Edited by Jaz

[Would have to be a Detachment, as Leave would not be permitted for anyone on the base for an Open-Day.]

Ah yes, the good old Garrison Family Fun Day.  The more fun for the singlies who didn't have family & were on a Scale A Parade to attend, those of us livign on camp not able to travel back to see our own families at home...

I remember being let loose on the rifle range. I was surprised at how much kick back there was Some of the vehicles were great to be driven around in. The kids clambering all over a couple of helicopters, although no flights appeared to be on offer for the masses. Nor to be fair for the officers families either. Land rovers were crawling up and down, and often at 45 degrees. And big BBQs were very popular. Exhibition football and rugby. Come to mmd but I am sure to remember other stuff.

• Like 1

This were all from the all sorts box that Langley Models has at it's shows. There are basically spare parts from sets. But it gives me the opportunity to look for elements I would like, when I am not necessarily interested in the complete set.

This ones can be used for a hunt as I have  the foxes.

med_gallery_17883_3112_67783.jpgrmweb1185langley models6

But I need to get some riders.Or adapt some figures.

An extra fox... and the second Doberman (or other dog) 

med_gallery_17883_3112_144665.jpgrmweb1190langley models11

The additional sheep

med_gallery_17883_3112_523509.jpgrmweb1186langle models7

• Like 1

The detailing will also work out nicely

These will do nicely in a garage...Scripps initially

med_gallery_17883_3112_209276.jpgrmweb1187langley models8

The items for a post office and the station platforms are great too, and the crates for a pub.

med_gallery_17883_3112_256875.jpgrmweb1189langleymodels9

these are sure to be useful

med_gallery_17883_3112_236568.jpgrmweb1189langleymodels10

There is another couple of items, but they are onces i have had in the past so not worth noting.

• Like 3

Whilst at Alexandria Palace, Kal spent a lot of time chatting to  Mick / Newbryford, this left me some time to browse, and what better to have a look at than Newbryford the layout, and while there grabbed a couple of pictures

med_gallery_17883_3195_376565.jpgrmweb1176Newbryford1

med_gallery_17883_3195_607327.jpgrmweb1177Newbryford2

med_gallery_17883_3195_743147.jpgrmweb1178Newbryford3

med_gallery_17883_3195_295842.jpgrmweb1179Newbryford4

And some very enviable modelling. The locos Mick updates were round the back. I have no idea why I did not grab a picture, seeing as how I was able to have a good close up view. Too busy admiring his work. :sungum:

A link to Newbryford.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40199-new-bryford/&do=findComment&comment=429956

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2