Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kal,

You might not be very happy after reading this......... especially after all we talked about regarding 31601/31602.

I've just noticed that the Hornby yellow 31233 carries an ETH connector on the lower corner. This should only be fitted to a 31/4 or 31/6. I've never noticed it before, or read about it in reviews of the yellow 31233. See Edit below

This is the Hornby Petroleum 31233 - click on the image to zoom in

http://www.ehattons.com/25704/Hornby_R2803XS_Class_31_diesel_electric_31233_in_Railfreight_Subsector_Petroleum_with_DCC_sound/StockDetail.aspx

This is the Hornby yellow 31233. zoom in as well - it has a ETH connector

http://www.ehattons.com/35869/Hornby_R3044X_Class_31_Diesel_31233_in_Network_Rail_Yellow_DCC_Fitted/StockDetail.aspx

This is the real 31233 - the orange box is not an ETH connector - it's related to the structure gauging train.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28799215@N06/2830467011/in/photolist-5j7Ten-5j7UcR-5j7W6z-5jcc5u-5jcjBN-63PkDK-63PkXe-6mzEap-739Nck-73dLCf-755ir7-7L6Xje-fB9CvA-ei8jug-diGG2t-hyiMWQ-bvXF3J-erbyui-ckGCBy-ckGD5d-aXQqcx-9y99qQ-7XUFiZ-iZiUE3-btzX4j-9mvaYb-9y99rq-9y99rL-bvVZAQ-9y99rj-c4NVfs-e57sVT-bxrvTm-c4jzqU-99EjZN-9Vf8y2-ggd8hf-96WtAe-hxANic-dGyWom-bu7v2X-dtN2JF-9y99rd-9yCqzb-fAUpTi-fB9Mzb-fB9xw7-coQE1q-dV6dM9-ie4UhF-9HfHkM

and 31285  - no ETH connector on the corner on either loco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42377201@N07/6978932787/in/photolist-bCGRzn-bCGJtM-b4sfmM-bjJM6d-c9jzdU-btk2Hb-cdXpf3-bH1nBP-cApwcf-bvVZJo-aixSUZ-9pXG8B-7CJFqt-9tRiWq-faPM2K-eiyc7D-fjoYrr-9H9CxQ-9moBcX-aQg26v-eXpGeg-eXpEiH-bnGi77-aceotv-daGie8-bCPdjg-bn2Bu9-bCEVvD-a8XgNF-bwNuEz-dpxoyA-bpE4Gy-fbbxs3-dVAApP-ekoEyN-a8XgRk-hUUfgg-8hZ2jT-9rSgyU-dDzdqK-dXrRN7-bwP81T-dng9CN-9LrCXK-8bEBbk-hibTcc-fbw5wM-8bHU15-af8x8Y-bxbjkn-fZgKh3

Basically, it looks like Hornby have fouled up ( I could've used worse language) in their quest to add a headlight and modernise 31233.

This is 31602

Showing minor scars where the electrical boxes for SGT use have been removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28799215@N06/11718780434/in/photolist-iRxP9w-jyh23s-jyh3Uo-jyg5jZ-jyg2gp-aXTXut-crBrvu-crBrvm-dHD2hy-anLWWg-9Vf8xP-7VaNtM-cr2dYq-cr2emA-fASsEx-crmFa7-crmFib-crmF3E-crmEVW-cnD9r7-8zNgbK-c2sTxs-bZD3xm-cnDa59-d5S1DA-dqk8bg-9Vguvj-c3Qxch-dnpQjN-c3QxX1-d5Z8X3-dqDzxu-9ymxQm-bvrxG1-cBthyN-9QAGQB-fjDbMQ-d5Uw1A-9y99rj-acq7vB-acq7gD-9Vf8y2-bvnXbg-bvnWrc-9XCtAv-anPJvN-f8aeAD-d5Uuc1-c3QyvC-dY93EX-c3Qx6Y

Modelling the current scene can be a right PITA!

EDIT: just found this link

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hi Kal,

You might not be very happy after reading this......... especially after all we talked about regarding 31601/31602.

I've just noticed that the Hornby yellow 31233 carries an ETH connector on the lower corner. This should only be fitted to a 31/4 or 31/6. I've never noticed it before, or read about it in reviews of the yellow 31233. See Edit below

This is the Hornby Petroleum 31233 - click on the image to zoom in

http://www.ehattons.com/25704/Hornby_R2803XS_Class_31_diesel_electric_31233_in_Railfreight_Subsector_Petroleum_with_DCC_sound/StockDetail.aspx

This is the Hornby yellow 31233. zoom in as well - it has a ETH connector

http://www.ehattons.com/35869/Hornby_R3044X_Class_31_Diesel_31233_in_Network_Rail_Yellow_DCC_Fitted/StockDetail.aspx

This is the real 31233 - the orange box is not an ETH connector - it's related to the structure gauging train.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28799215@N06/2830467011/in/photolist-5j7Ten-5j7UcR-5j7W6z-5jcc5u-5jcjBN-63PkDK-63PkXe-6mzEap-739Nck-73dLCf-755ir7-7L6Xje-fB9CvA-ei8jug-diGG2t-hyiMWQ-bvXF3J-erbyui-ckGCBy-ckGD5d-aXQqcx-9y99qQ-7XUFiZ-iZiUE3-btzX4j-9mvaYb-9y99rq-9y99rL-bvVZAQ-9y99rj-c4NVfs-e57sVT-bxrvTm-c4jzqU-99EjZN-9Vf8y2-ggd8hf-96WtAe-hxANic-dGyWom-bu7v2X-dtN2JF-9y99rd-9yCqzb-fAUpTi-fB9Mzb-fB9xw7-coQE1q-dV6dM9-ie4UhF-9HfHkM

and 31285  - no ETH connector on the corner on either loco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42377201@N07/6978932787/in/photolist-bCGRzn-bCGJtM-b4sfmM-bjJM6d-c9jzdU-btk2Hb-cdXpf3-bH1nBP-cApwcf-bvVZJo-aixSUZ-9pXG8B-7CJFqt-9tRiWq-faPM2K-eiyc7D-fjoYrr-9H9CxQ-9moBcX-aQg26v-eXpGeg-eXpEiH-bnGi77-aceotv-daGie8-bCPdjg-bn2Bu9-bCEVvD-a8XgNF-bwNuEz-dpxoyA-bpE4Gy-fbbxs3-dVAApP-ekoEyN-a8XgRk-hUUfgg-8hZ2jT-9rSgyU-dDzdqK-dXrRN7-bwP81T-dng9CN-9LrCXK-8bEBbk-hibTcc-fbw5wM-8bHU15-af8x8Y-bxbjkn-fZgKh3

Basically, it looks like Hornby have fouled up ( I could've used worse language) in their quest to add a headlight and modernise 31233.

This is 31602

Showing minor scars where the electrical boxes for SGT use have been removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28799215@N06/11718780434/in/photolist-iRxP9w-jyh23s-jyh3Uo-jyg5jZ-jyg2gp-aXTXut-crBrvu-crBrvm-dHD2hy-anLWWg-9Vf8xP-7VaNtM-cr2dYq-cr2emA-fASsEx-crmFa7-crmFib-crmF3E-crmEVW-cnD9r7-8zNgbK-c2sTxs-bZD3xm-cnDa59-d5S1DA-dqk8bg-9Vguvj-c3Qxch-dnpQjN-c3QxX1-d5Z8X3-dqDzxu-9ymxQm-bvrxG1-cBthyN-9QAGQB-fjDbMQ-d5Uw1A-9y99rj-acq7vB-acq7gD-9Vf8y2-bvnXbg-bvnWrc-9XCtAv-anPJvN-f8aeAD-d5Uuc1-c3QyvC-dY93EX-c3Qx6Y

Modelling the current scene can be a right PITA!

EDIT: just found this link

Cheers,

Mick

LOL

Typical. It is painted yellow body colour so I never noticed it DOH. I have the other sector 233 too, maybe I will make that yellow one day and swap the other yellow 233 to 601.

With 285, it is easy enough to remove and fill the gap, but matching the colour might be interesting.

Maybe cut off the wire for now.

These things are sent to try us.

The Irony of Hornby trying to improve a model  :banghead:

Edited by Kal

Mick

Just ordered the Micro sol and set on Amazon, also picked up some Microscale Decal Film, though I have no clue what it is for, but cheaper delivery if I order the 3.

Also ordered some Squadron Green and white, as it appears to be useful for filling, well errrrr.....eth holes  :scratchhead:

What do you use to finally seal them , Varnish or plasticote or....

Edited by Kal

Some close ups of of the build, I have added some detailing bits 

a locker, a workman with a yellow bucket possibly full of cleaner,

med_gallery_17883_3113_234098.jpgrmweb864knightwingjaz6

another worker

med_gallery_17883_3113_9954.jpgrmweb865knightwingjaz7

a couple of drums and another order with a tools chest on wheels

med_gallery_17883_3113_429986.jpgrmweb866knightwingjaz8

• Like 5

The reference picture

post-7081-0-96603400-1369588055.jpgcourtesy of Rivercider

a view along the length

med_gallery_17883_3113_223231.jpgrmweb867knightwingjaz9

a small brick stand and more containers, and the telephone stand

med_gallery_17883_3113_278057.jpgrmweb868knightwingjaz10

the stains on the floor

med_gallery_17883_3113_85893.jpgrmweb869knightwingjaz11

I noticed in the main reference picture what appears to be sand probably to sop up the mess.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Add some Klear to provide a base to adhere too.  This is the New formula Klear, it works the same just smells different and does not see to leave the bluish sheen, i used to see on my Best AMMO Boots

Klear?  On your Best Boots?  Yew 'Orrible Little Man!

Take his belt and hat and get him away Colour Sergeant.  DUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAK....

Just did a quick search of the Decal Film, Kal.  It's for repairing old transfers* which have been lying around for ages.  Having just got back into the military modelling I intend to invest in some Microsol & Microset, I have been astonished by the sheer number of transfers which come with even the smallest kit these days & how while panel lines have improved then really need to shape into the kit.

*When did they become decals?  I am awaiting the horror of some serious modellers when they see a lad on a modelling site referring to "the stickers"... 

• Like 1

Annual Inspection for School CCF Corps, saw one young man use varnish to do the shiny bits on his boots      ......    very shiny they were too   ......    BUT  ...   he reckoned without the greenhouse effect of the Summer Sun  .....  

.....   "Shun  .... Number  ...  Odd Numbers 2 Paces Forward .. March"    .......   Crash, crash of Ammo Boots  ....... 2 x perfectly formed varnish Toecaps neatly on the Tarmac in front of him   .....   :O   ...   separated by the wax polish underneath becoming melted  ....  

....................   I am quite proud to report that there was not a single sign, from anyone, of the massive, internal, giggle    .........................    probably more out of a fear of the consequences than pure loyalty  ....   :jester:  :jester:  

• RMweb Premium

Mick

Just ordered the Micro sol and set on Amazon, also picked up some Microscale Decal Film, though I have no clue what it is for, but cheaper delivery if I order the 3.

Also ordered some Squadron Green and white, as it appears to be useful for filling, well errrrr.....eth holes  :scratchhead:

What do you use to finally seal them , Varnish or plasticote or....

Squadron putty is very good IMO - deep areas need a good time to set and may shrink in the process, needing another thin skim.

I usually seal the transfers with Klear - often giving the whole loco a spray over. Klear can be airbrushed without thinning.

The big advantage of Klear is that it doesn't seem to react with acrylic or enamel. So if I then start weathering, I can wipe it off with (gentle application of) thinners, without affecting the base paintcoat or transfers.

Cheers,

Mick

Klear?  On your Best Boots?  Yew 'Orrible Little Man!

Take his belt and hat and get him away Colour Sergeant.  DUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAKDUFDAK....

Absolutely, Though not as the final coat, as the RSM would see the Blue tinge.

It made a good base for the next layer of polish, and stopped the toe cap cracking.

Just did a quick search of the Decal Film, Kal.  It's for repairing old transfers* which have been lying around for ages.  Having just got back into the military modelling I intend to invest in some Microsol & Microset, I have been astonished by the sheer number of transfers which come with even the smallest kit these days & how while panel lines have improved then really need to shape into the kit.

*When did they become decals?  I am awaiting the horror of some serious modellers when they see a lad on a modelling site referring to "the stickers"... 

I think....

Decals positive images in the paper and transfers are negative images, so with a transfer you lay it against the suface with backing paper upper most and for decals the opposite.

Absolutely, Though not as the final coat, as the RSM would see the Blue tinge.

It made a good base for the next layer of polish, and stopped the toe cap cracking.

Good grief.  The only acceptable way to get a good shine is plenty of bulling.  At least that's what I told my batman ;)

Squadron putty is very good IMO - deep areas need a good time to set and may shrink in the process, needing another thin skim.

I usually seal the transfers with Klear - often giving the whole loco a spray over. Klear can be airbrushed without thinning.

The big advantage of Klear is that it doesn't seem to react with acrylic or enamel. So if I then start weathering, I can wipe it off with (gentle application of) thinners, without affecting the base paintcoat or transfers.

Cheers,

Mick

Cool, sound good to me. thanks

Good grief.  The only acceptable way to get a good shine is plenty of bulling.  At least that's what I told my batman ;)

It is,  but a few tricks to , remove pimples, soften and harden in the right places.

I spent 3 Years in London doing State occasions, Garden Parties, Wimbledon, Royal Tournement, beating yer meat etc.  so needed to have the optimum and a few of them. London is full of Wooden tops and donkey wallers, so learnt a lot about Bull and how the pros do it.

• Like 1

'Ere you leave Batman out of this......he's mine not yours!!!!! :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Jaz

It is,  but a few tricks to , remove pimples, soften and harden in the right places.

I spent 3 Years in London doing State occasions, Garden Parties, Wimbledon, Royal Tournement, beating yer meat etc.  so needed to have the optimum and a few of them. London is full of Wooden tops and donkey wallers, so learnt a lot about Bull and how the pros do it.

I will ask you to remind me offline what your capbadge was!  I was lucky that except for Remembrance services, a couple of Squadron-specific parades, and the odd bit of PR stuff (and biffing up a Sam Browne & pair of shoes which have been previously very well prepared is easy for those) I did no ceremonial or public duties at all.

Explanation for Jaz

Wooden Top  = Guards Division

Donkey Waller = Houshold Cavalry

Beatin yer Meat = Beating the Retreat,   of course the British Army Never retreats, they make a strategic withdrawal.....  this became less popular in the 80's due to AIDS.

This lead to the tactical application of prophylactic insurgency  :angel:

Edited by Kal

Heard that too, but they were good at making TEA  Nato standard, so Cha Waller became Donkey Waller

There were other nicks too, but not any I could print here  :sungum:

Edited by Kal