Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Wow  a lot going on !! 

The last scene on the river is spectacular! The new 128 a nice addition and one I am thinking of getting myself.  The cottages look interesting, I was looking at the post office which I may have a go at. Will you be doing a follow along? 

Be interesting to see how the NEM pockets turn out. I could be wrong but are they for cranked tension locks? which would set them at the wrong height for the Kadee NEM couplers? 

Edited by thebritfarmer

The Britfarmer

I will show how I build it but it is my first...I will be picking Sasquatch's brain because he is well acquainted with these.

Sasquatch

I think a decent police house would be nice. And getting your help much appreciated.

Wow a lot going on !!

The last scene on the river is spectacular! The new 128 a nice addition and one I am thinking of getting myself. The cottages look interesting, I was looking at the post office which I may have a go at. Will you be doing a follow along?

Be interesting to see how the NEM pockets turn out. I could be wrong but are they for cranked tension locks? which would set them at the wrong height for the Kadee NEM couplers?

Ignore what it says on the label, it is just the dove tail if want, I will cut or add whatever I need to make the nem pocket sit at the mrop standard height. Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Some might consider these old seaside amusements a little naff, but they are fun, and kids love them.......and so I believe do the young at heart  :sungum:

That's the way to do it................The puppeteer has been walking around drumming up business, it's the start of the season and still a little cold. Toby the dog ihas finished his tricks and is now giving the Dalmatian the eye. Toby is actually a girl.....and apparently she is giving the Dalmatian the "come on big boy" look....

med_gallery_17883_2806_251613.jpgrmweb787portlynncove1

The man with the donkey rides at the back is not impressed, it is sure to draw attention away from his cute donkeys, and the Punch and Judy man has cleverly cut off the route the donkeys come past.

A sandcastle has been abandoned for now.......even the boys ice-cream looks in danger of falling on the ground........

med_gallery_17883_2806_228811.jpgrmweb788portlynncove2

one lad had been off up to the tea rooms for his ice cream but he is now shouting for them to wait so he can double back, he can buy his seaside rock later

med_gallery_17883_2806_569679.jpgrmweb789portlynncove3

• Like 6

Goathland staton, there has been a touch of colour sneaking in here, which has allowed these to be taken

the car park at the rear, the sunlight kindly blanks out the scenic at the back, while the steps are still nicely outlined

med_gallery_17883_2878_366978.jpgrmweb783Gothland3

I faced the cararama VW beetle  forward because it has little headlights, and parked the two oxford the other way because they silver painted headlights are somewhat naff by comparison

the reverse lights however do not stand out like sore thumbs, I dribble some real sand on the floor to cover the join, the light shining through gives a lovely effect

med_gallery_17883_2878_232891.jpgrmweb784Goathland4

• Like 7

Very envious of that 128. Looks exquisitely detailed? 

Dave K

Hi Dave and Welcome

Yes it does look very good, just the rough edge on the bottom of the body, but that might be just on mine. once it is weathered it should not be noticeable.

Decisions.....decisions......

I now have the flexi bark so can carry on with the willow tree    :angel:

I have a new wills house kit    :butcher:

and some new Knightwing items that I could colour up quickly.    :sungum:

I could go tidy the kitchen. After yesterdays Roast chicken there is a lot of dirty pans.........    :scared:

decisions....decisions......

With regards to the willow I was up to here yesterday scrapping out the last of the flex bark from the original tub.

med_gallery_17883_2992_365767.jpgrmweb810willow1

Again still working on just one side to show the building, I must admit that I think this is going to take a LOT of branches to get the full effect.

Also originally I was hanging all the branches now some of them go up then down, A Salix youngii might show off the main branches with the smaller ones hanging from them, but with a weeping willow they go up first before sheer weight forces them down again, so you have a green top canopy and no real sign of the main supporting branches.

I might do the smaller tree afterwards, we have a perfect example on our back lawn. All of our weeping willows are growing fast but still lack the large impressive fall I am aiming for.

I just hope the model can support all the necessary branches... :swoon:  :swoon:  :swoon:

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Craftsman Kit.  I hope you get on well with it, it is really scrach building but with all the parts supplied.  The plastic probably needs a Stanley knife as it is quite thick and will need the walls bevelled to fit together.  I cannot see if it has coping stones but you could put those on the corners as it will hide to join.  The window holes may need a bit of fettling.  On my scratchbuilt cottage I carefully measured all the windows and most needed opening out except three that needed DAS to fill in the space as I had made it too wide!

Have fun with it.  I got my one of semi-detached houses out to work out depths for houses on my layout and of course they are brick and not stone.  Oh well, either I will change the plastic or will make and excuse to have brick.

Lovely painting, as usual.

ChrisN

I have coping stones  :sungum: Kal bought me some perfect putty.......

What is fettling?

The instructions say cut the window slightly smaller  then carefully file to size, I think that sounds wise.

I had planned to copy it to the letter, but as Sasquatch says it would make a great Police Station, and though I have TWO of that blue station to use, they can be just bog standard houses.Plus they are a decent size some of the resin buildings can be exceptionally small and frankly not much use. I always look at the mm sizes to see what I am really getting. I have two Shrublands, but they will have to be used judiciously as are very small for what they are meant to be....but they will suit the Blackpool area. When we get to it.

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

ChrisN

I have coping stones  :sungum: Kal bought me some perfect putty.......

What is fettling?

The instructions say cut the window slightly smaller  then carefully file to size, I think that sounds wise.

I had planned to copy it to the letter, but as Sasquatch says it would make a great Police Station, and though I have TWO of that blue station to use, they can be just bog standard houses.Plus they are a decent size some of the resin buildings can be exceptionally small and frankly not much use. I always look at the mm sizes to see what I am really getting. I have two Shrublands, but they will have to be used judiciously as are very small for what they are meant to be....but they will suit the Blackpool area. When we get to it.

Jaz,

Fettling, is slang to mean, cutting it smaller and filing it so the windows fit.  It usually means to work on something to get it to be the right size or to look right. 

Not sure when I first heard it but I just assumed that everyone knew it, sorry.