Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Well now CWR  ...  

I was a Dragoon, Heavy Cavalry.  I became Heavier and Heavier Cavalry as time went on and my enjoyment of the Mess grew

Dragoons indeed, but, in truth, last pictures including your busy self didn't exactly show you stuck in the Turret Hatchway, like the cork in a Champagne Bottle   .......    :no:   .....

......    somewhat more like fighting fit comes to mind  .....   :declare:

A thought [if it can claim to be so elevated in the food chain] occurs    ..............    the Army claim to have ladies in combat these days    .........   a tank or other Armoured vehicle would seem to be a place where they might be found

Given the term given to describe civilian [eerr] females who charge around the place, making rather a lot of noise   .................   has the decision to employ ladies in Armoured vehicles caused the female version of a Hussar and Draggon to be named Hussarette, Hussarelle, Dragoonelle or Dragoonette?  [Maybe the Army has banned such terms, as being disrespectful, like they did with "Stills"   .......    :nono: ]

J

Hi All

Promise I am taking pictures to be uploaded asap, I am working on my tree, and Kal pointed out it reminded him of a larch, so I add some dangling branches, The lumpy finish can represent the little cones, and some greenery will be added soon. The silhouette is looking good

I plan to take a walk half way down the arboretum where we have a couple of larches (Larix decidua/European and Larix Kaempferi/Japanese) and check the colouring of the bark just before adding the green.

At present we are thinking autumn colours for goathland because you can still have full greened trees and some bare of leaf, and add some yellows and oranges and reds, 

I have taken some pictures of the area not so picture perfect so you can see how the whole area is developing. So with no new pictures for you at the moment....I'm off for a spot of modelling photography and referencing....it's sunny so a walk seems top of the list.

10275-larix-decidua-habi01.jpg
Larix Decidua, European Larch
They lose their needles over winter, like a deciduous tree
They have narrow main trunks even when older (although somewhat smoother than mine, so either a remodel or a lot of green to hide it ;)
This sort of thing...........

med_gallery_17883_2878_542954.jpgrmweb137tree1

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Started colouring the tree, and the hanging branches are a little sparse busy adding more, good thing I am not planning on selling it...time taken to produce (even though first time) impossible to recouperate.

med_gallery_17883_2878_272578.jpgrmweb139trees2

med_gallery_17883_2878_659447.jpgrmweb140trees3

med_gallery_17883_2878_330493.jpgrmweb141tree4

med_gallery_17883_2878_293467.jpgrmweb142tree5

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

The tree is finished, photos taken, when the library is sorted I will pop them up. I am rather pleased with it, but welcome any criticism that helps me improve. I think that almost the same build would work nicely for a Betula pendular / Silver Birch. And have consider a much fast way to build it!!!!!!!1 

This time I wrapped the branches on one at a time then aded the small branches once attached to the tree, and was forever moving branches out of the way then back again,and then having to tweak the 'hanging' branches.

The next time I plan to make the branches in advance and add them at the last moment, and use a ruler to make branches in increments of say half an inch or 1cm. Plus a file and some plastic covers can be used to keep them apart so I am not messing about separating the devils.

With the tree finished some more model painting:

Morris dancers and musicians Langley models f36

Model Railway Miniatures Pete Goss Figures MD4

A hoodie

A man in short

A walking man

A man with a jacket over his arm

Some harbour bollards, also useful for canals Langley Models

Oh and I have started on the waterfall at the weir, this will be a slow process.

N.B. I mention what I have done as these will be place holders for the photos when I can populate them.

Edited by Jaz

Ok pictures are coming in, look back to see the trees

Dart Castings MLV9 woman and child and sheepdog 

Dart Castings A13 chickens (6) and cockeral

med_gallery_17883_2878_332131.jpgrmweb135chickens1

med_gallery_17883_2878_136773.jpgrmweb136chickens2

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Long views of Goathland area

second wall in place - not finished 

med_gallery_17883_2878_92387.jpgrmweb129weirwall2

First wall in place - following the curve

Weir visible

med_gallery_17883_2878_542400.jpgrmweb128weir1

The river bank up to the road

med_gallery_17883_2878_425521.jpgrmweb127toproad2

• Like 7

A view of the top road showing 

Dart Castings Man with riding crop

Dart Castings Man leading horse (no horse inc)

Dart castings two old english sheep dogs from 2 separate packs (The woman and child and a 3 dog pack)

Langley models sheep painted black or white with black faces

med_gallery_17883_2878_264709.jpgrmweb126toproad1

• Like 5

Delightful Jaz,

The pictures of the Fisherman are just the job  ...   thanks for posting, they are a real inspiration for the modelers on the Forum  ..........................    and Icicles of inadequacy gripping my heart  ........    :toclue:

There is  ... just one teeny item for consideration, in the taking of the photographs     .........................       :secret:

poacher with pheasant

Poacher, pheasant in hand, people with horses nearby       .............................    daylight?    ..............................................     :dontknow:

The weir waterfall

no waterfall yet

med_gallery_17883_2878_1006484.jpgrmweb109weir2

the join area

med_gallery_17883_2878_23922.jpgrmweb134waterfall1

initiation of the waterfalling

med_gallery_17883_2878_299140.jpgrmweb143waterfall2

I usually work from both end and slowly come towards joining them together

First I have used Woodland scenics Water Effects C1212 ,When you put the stuff on initially it is white and as it dries goes clear. 

N.B. this 'runs' better when warm, as the loft is cold I would bring it downstairs to warm up if I planned to squeeze it through the nozzle, but as I plan to open it up and use a stick to sculpt with cold is fine.

My method involves several products, and a new product will feature Deluxe waves.

I'll put more information up. Once the first layer dries.

N.B. If adding white or shade or colour, it is best to add between coats, I tried pale blue on the big waterfall and was not over pleased with the result and quickly repainted white. I have yet to see how this goes, but am considering glass paints for a see through look as opposed to a matt look.

• Like 1

** Whistles a tune**  "Heartbeat - why do you miss when my baby kisses me 

heartbeat - why does a love kiss stay in my memory" 

whilst enjoying the lovely scenic photos :D :D :D 

Awesome Jaz !! I may have to have a closer look at the Dart castings. I had heard that the Langley figures can be a bit crude, but based on the ones you have doesn't seem to be the case. 

J

The poacher is sneaking off using the Land Rover for cover, another angle would show this off better I'll do another picture when I get a chance.

Although he is in a quandary as the woman child and chickens are a head of him.....climbing a tree is high on his list!!!!!! Before those dogs catch his scent.!!!!!!

Went shooting with the Padre once   .....   Nodded to the Farmer on the way in   and off up the wooded valley with fields above and either side.

Top of the valley opened out on some marshy are with the stream meandering through  ......   just at that moment a Pheasant crossed from right to   .....   :hunter:  ....   well he never got to there   .....  

Off went the padre's dog and was back in a few seconds   ........   Pheasant in the bag and time to make our way back   ....   a couple more Pigeons in the bag      .............................    then......

..............    Putter, putter, putter, in the field above as the tractor entered the field   ................   at pretty much the same time   .....    woosh, in the brambles behind  ...........  I swung round to see if it was Fox/Rabbit, Pheasant making its way from being spooked  ...

......   nothing to be seen from this side of the Brambles    .......     then, as I started round to the uphill side of the Brambles, the Padre's dog came running back round the other way    ..........    with the Pheasant in it's mouth and presented it back to the Padre, like a good dog should  .........     the same Pheasant that the Padre had just removed from his bag and - woosh - into the Brambles  ..........     :O

The dog went back on his lead and the Pheasant back into the Brambles, as the Padre quietly explained that the shooting permission he had obtained was for what the farmer considered vermin - Pigeon, Rabbit, Fox .....    

Good to know how well the dog was looking after his Master's Spiritual Health in preventing the consumption of what might have been Il-gotten gains   ...........        :blush:

he is in a quandary as the woman child and chickens are a head of him

Maybe a night photo could allow him to tipee - toe past, as long as he isn't silhouetted against the skyline  ...........      :secret:

• Like 1

Thank you dt

It was with encouragement from yourself especially at the 'other place/forum'.

Kindly criticism (yes it really exists) has helped us enormously as we evolved. Even 'harsh' criticism has value. We did have the odd bun fight over people who offered up ideas, many were welcomed but occasionally some where over looking on what could be potentially a good ideas, which did upset some people. It does not mean an idea does not have value, just that we might not choose to use it.

We were almost a flat earth society member. Work that we did originally was often done without looking first at how others worked and somewhat naive. We bought the correct materials but did not maximise their usage. Your thread at the other place was so popular to go and have a laugh and catch up with people, but it was run through with excellent reference links, and work on your own layout showing numerous good practise and ingenious ways of working. We were encouraged by numerous followers who enjoyed the speed we produced at with a sense of humour thrown in, although some of our modelling was not the finest. The humour however had several spin offs which will also get updated in time. e.g. RAF Zollywood, Port Wynn (Lynn) (the stocks are still waiting to be made up :jester: for one of our biggest critics - although he did make us scrutinise our work and for that he would have our thanks here though unfortunately he did not come across on our exodus from the other place (we did pm for a while, he was sad to see us go).

However watching links carefully (many provided by you) as well as loads by other good friends, and reference material provided by other Goathland people (Our only real station to date) has encouraged us to emulate them. Silky_Jacks take on how he planned to do his layout took us in the right direction, then falling over Sasquatch's Goathland and CGrahams Made by Magic the HP (Harry Potter) Railway, showed us superb levels of modelling. JCredfer was largely responsible for us trying the PIR foam idea, his ideas and evolution occurred at our old forum. Others  there were modelling before we came here and falling over Robinson and Downes thread which attracted a number of modellers who have upped their game over the months we have been here. Inspiration is in no short supply. Many people are generous with ideas, and research, and some times just encouragement with likes. I say just but it is a boost when a picture get nice feedback. Oh and people are generous with sharing how they produced something for themselves, and this helps enormously.

Going to stop being slushy and go do so modelling. :butcher:

• Like 3

Jaz,

Beautiful modeling throughout your layout - I especially admire your scenery details and water features. I also envy the fun you're about to have as you work through the station.

...and thanks for the gracious plug above.

As a nod to CWR, here's a shot of USAF Sergeant CGraham Cocky at RAF Upper Heyford back in the day...

SgtCocky_zpsc980bd54.jpg

Edited by cgraham

In the distance some 

Langley models F36 Morris dancers and musicians 12 pieces for £6.96 bargain

med_gallery_17883_2878_618775.jpgrmweb148morris1

med_gallery_17883_2878_532989.jpgrmweb150morris2

And yes one of them has a horses head!!! Close up you can see his eyes through the neck of the horse.

• Like 7