Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

There goes my chance of having our boarder collies, Gwen and Bobo immortalized in 4mm.      

I suggested sanding the stone down a bit BTW!!

You can take away some brownie points but still no sympathy handed out here Jaz. Scribing is hard work.   

Reading a thread earlier and it brought back to me how something's are more important than modelling. I remember when I read about this sad event a couple of years ago and how it made me feel and how I could not even start to imagine how I would have survived it.

Anyway, here is my tribute to that sad day, I will say no more about it nor want to talk about it further, the person it is intended for may never notice, but that does not matter, it was not the reason for doing it.

so just listen to the song and enjoy

• RMweb Premium

Yeah right. Getting those two to sit still for a photo sounds about as easy as tight rope walking while drunk!! How about the sable point blonde one flying though the air with a Frisbee in its mouth and the other black one surrounded with dead chickens and her tail well and truly between her legs!! 

It's all gardens and renovations here this week while the weather's nice, modeling is always bottom of the list and front and foremost in my mind!!

I know where you're coming from Kal, life's just too short!!! 

The dogs don't need to be in the same picture. But I need to know what height they are, so I can gauge  them against a figure, and each other.

for instance my two dobermans are sisters, so you would expect them to be of a size and similar. But know the black ones have more streamlined heads, the brown ones more triangular heads (in my experience having owned 5 and admired many others). As adults the black doberman stands noticeable higher at the shoulder and is a chunkier dog although has a more graceful shape. I really should do my own dogs. I daresay to many people there is just not much difference.

Not fully grown.....other people would swear they are 

med_gallery_17883_3112_749643.jpgrmweb

med_gallery_17883_3112_403180.jpgbutter wouldn't melt..

two peas in a pd.......but the black one has a brain :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just because I cannot help myself and trawl military models web sites for civilians I came across Sgts Mess

Apart from interesting sets of civilians, who else does 1940s Girl Guides, it also has sets of Home Guards.  Maybe not quite Capt Mannering, but nearly.

• Like 1

ChrisN....thank you so much......

Sgts Mess.co.uk.....

Absolutely Love this site............

ba_09.jpg   ba_11.jpg       nc16.jpg

'Allo 'Allo....what have we here......ga_9.jpg   nc25.jpg

I wonder if .......nope....ssshhhh....... top secret..........

• Like 3

initial paint job

med_gallery_17883_3112_165059.jpgrmweb1438Jsspaniel5

med_gallery_17883_3112_300568.jpgrmweb1439Jsspaniel6

med_gallery_17883_3112_135766.jpgrmweb1440Jsspaniel7

I don't know what the left side looks like...so a guess...

med_gallery_17883_3112_158097.jpgrmweb1441Jsspaniel8

I can now see the ears are far too SMALL, and he needs more belly fur. and he has a shiny element to his coat. I think I can do that.

• Like 3

Sasquatch - you are right about getting the B.... to show the right left-hand side ..

Jaz, hope this is of some assistance ....   knowing the speed you go at, probably after the paint already dry..    :sungum:

13759938515_a05e2c790c_c.jpg
DSC_0362 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

13759954115_52b8e1b2b4_c.jpg
DSC_0354 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

That Camouflage is absolutely perfect - he simply disappears in any sort of undergrowth  .....    :scratchhead:

Eyes, by the way, are light brown, not dark [or orange from the flash - scary]

Edit = disappears

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

Js spaniel and his young owner...and a Zombie for size. Mini driver was made from a standard Hornby little girl in a pink and red dress.

med_gallery_17883_3112_189499.jpgrmweb1442jsspaniel9

I added some flex bark latex to her hair and lengthened it. I put some trousers on her legs by adding some flex bark.

med_gallery_17883_3112_101551.jpgrmweb1443Jsspaniel10

I painted her dress all pink, added arms to make it into her pink polka dot jacket, the black trousers and black gloves....

med_gallery_17883_3112_141205.jpgrmweb1444Jsspaniel11

and she is already to go skating.....

med_gallery_17883_3112_141205.jpgrmweb1445Jsspaniel12

the dots are a bit bigger I used a brush close to hand....and I thought hey she'll look good near the clowns  :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3112_23777.jpgrmweb1446Jsspaniel13

I'll pop her and Harvey up on the layout later. The Zombie can go back where he came from..... :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for showing that flex bark latex. I'll have to add it to the shopping list.  It looks like it could have lots of uses.  I've only tried adding to one figure and that was turning a jacket into a long brown coat using painted blu tack but it needs handling with care and since I like moving my population around the layout, I don't put it out very often.  The flex bark seems a better alternative.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

What are the advantages of using flex bark to modify models, rather than just making stuff, over DAS, or even Milliput?

Milliput, messy, short time to work with it, has to be made especially and better when there is lots to do.

DAS, not quite as messy, add water can use for ages, bit fragile when done.

Flexibark?

Thanks.

Actually that is a multiple question. 

Because especially with Das if making trees , the Das is easiest to model, brushing water on it to extend its modelling life. Keeping the open packet in a plastic sandwich bag and a touch of water...keeps it fresher for sometime. But as you said fragile, but over paint it with the flexi bark and hey presto you can move it about (carefully) and if the 'skin' breaks slap a little more on. So making trees you can move branches which you decide to move/place elsewhere and the branches need moving.

I made the hair on the girl purely with flex bark. And you can use different items for different effects, I have not done this yet....but realised the potential....a toothbrush will make a nice evenly spaced nobly finish. Flexi bark does to have the modelling capacity of DAS or Milliput....BUT can be painted thinly. Let me show you my Sasquatch...not finished BUT If I had done 5 thin wires I could have done the hands!!! I build up layers for dogs ears etc. The dogs faces get flex bark...then I decide how long the nose needs t one and cut it appropriately.

The reason I leave a little length of copper is I push it into the PIR to keep it upright.

Millput is stronger, but goes off quickly, but can then be filed etc. 

Flexibark can do some modelling jobs ...especially thin fine ones.....and can be handled afterwards.Takes paint nicely. Not easy to make faces BUT you can carry on shaping it after it has dried....well for a while...I think the outside dries and the inside not dry is still malleable. I tend to work fast so that is my supposition.

Hope these pointers help you for starters. I'll add more if they occur to me.

And the major advantage?????? Some copper some DAS or plaster and PVA...and you can have a go at your own trees.    :jester:

If you are careful flex bark is the least messy you don't need to touch it with your hands.

Edited by Jaz

This is a project I am still working on, not having done a Sasquatch before I was waiting til I finished to publish.

med_gallery_17883_3112_183037.jpgrmweb1455sasquatch1

guy left 00,sasquatch,gut right HO

the wires i was twisting for the central core

med_gallery_17883_3112_295998.jpgrmweb1456sasquatch2

i decided to give him more hair, and see latex on the left hand

med_gallery_17883_3112_369774.jpgrmweb1457sasquatch3

paint job still being considered. An orang-utan orange? A gorilla black? a leopard style? Caveman? With long hair and straggly beard?

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2