Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Kal will sympathise with that.

Whilst in South Carolina he went out driving in a Land Rover V8 Defender 110, which was brand new...and he was asked to be very careful with it as it was the only V8 in the regiment....

Anyway as he was driving along at some speed a deer jumped out in front of him, he pulled up sharply thinking....PHEW, when there was a bang!!! and a second bang!!!....two more had run straight into the side of the vehicle!!!!!! Which now had to rather large dents. When he got back with the Defender....the Americans were like....why didn't you dump the deer on the top of the bonnet and bring it/them home for food....sheesh what a waste........However, the FOS was more concerned with the damage to his latest shiny thing........

My Brother used to be known for ....   eerr ......   dashing around Devon on his "warmed-up" Scooter.

His mate's Mum once said he would have a nasty accident one day, if he carried on like that.

Her Sister replied, very quickly  ....   "No he won't, Mary   .......   when an accident happens, he will already be a mile further down the road!"   ....     :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

PS. She wasn't quite right, as he must have been going too slow on a few occasions, fortunately none too damaging, which was eventually enough to persuade him to get a car.

We knew a guy called Mansel, yes really, though in his case it was his first name and he was no formula one driver.

This guy was the worst driver ever and had never had an accident, but seen thousands in his rear view mirror!

Mansell once stopped right in the middle of a busy T junction...just stopped mid traffic.........totally oblivious.........to the fact he had stopped the traffic completely, then he proceeded to stay and chat.........

this was not a one off...but he made a habit of strange driving......stopping anywhere even in the middle of the road, across white lines........and then would chat to his passengers who were supposed to be getting out......

Kal just reminded me he had one of those Citroens with the air suspension...but he never understood how to use it...so he drove around with it on the stops all the time.......

• RMweb Premium

Kal will sympathise with that.

Whilst in South Carolina he went out driving in a Land Rover V8 Defender 110, which was brand new...and he was asked to be very careful with it as it was the only V8 in the regiment....

Anyway as he was driving along at some speed a deer jumped out in front of him, he pulled up sharply thinking....PHEW, when there was a bang!!! and a second bang!!!....two more had run straight into the side of the vehicle!!!!!! Which now had to rather large dents. When he got back with the Defender....the Americans were like....why didn't you dump the deer on the top of the bonnet and bring it/them home for food....sheesh what a waste........However, the FOS was more concerned with the damage to his latest shiny thing........

Have you seen the price of venison?

Despite the black widows, rattle snakes, bears, cougars and all the other nasty bugs, dear are the most dangerous. One ran across I5 some weeks back causing a huge pile up killing at least 3 people.

The only thing I ever hit was a badger whilst tearing around......... Sussex on my scooter late one night. Luckily I managed to stay on!   

If you remember a few pages back I recognised the Ariel Square Four, that's because my Dad killed a horse with one in Cornwall during the Black Outs in the War. The Farmer found the horse the next morning and couldn't figure out what had killed it, my Dad and said bike was over the hedge in the field.

Bodge :sungum:

• Like 1

I was in a car with other students when we think we hit a black dog....it was daylight....there was blood on the car.....we piled out and the next two vehicles also students (we were on the way TO a pub lunch) all piled out in search for the possible black dog (I had been in the back seat and only felt the bump not seen the animal) but we could not find it. We missed the pub lunch and went back to college starving.

Edited by Jaz

If you remember a few pages back I recognised the Ariel Square Four, that's because my Dad killed a horse with one in Cornwall during the Black Outs in the War. The Farmer found the horse the next morning and couldn't figure out what had killed it, my Dad and said bike was over the hedge in the field.

theres is no WOW emoticon. Was your dad ok?

Years ago I was driving a friends Renault Gordini, [rear wheel drive thing] past Bristol Airport - [i think they may have had 2 x single prop planes on view in those days]  .................   when a white Scottie ran out of someone's garden gate and across the road in front of the car   .....  and I was motoring on a bit too  .......   :O

I hit the brakes a bit quick and quite hard   .......   the suspension at the front was quite soft, as there was no engine to support and felt like horribly less braking   .................    then there was a thud [not a good sound]  .........

.......    next thing was seeing the Scottie bunched up in a ball doing a very good impression of a Ten-pin Bowling Ball, down the road   ..................    came to a halt about 50 yds away, got up, shook its fur and trotted off back to the pavement  .......   

the front of the car had gone down on the soft suspension preventing the dog from going under the car and just batting it along the road  .....    :jester:  :jester:    .....    phew!

theres is no WOW emoticon. Was your dad ok?

Well he had me some 4 years later, so not vital parts damaged in the making of the stunt, :O  :nono:  :nono:  hahha

Yea he was just unconscious for the night thanks.

Well the cold weather has almost gone, and the warm weather is not yet here.....so we have been working in the old loft

med_gallery_17883_3178_169207.jpgrmweb1521oldlodt1

The top line comes in from the right and Sheffield Park, the lower level comes along the back wall from Kalborough

The bottom level pulls out onto Kalborough East then ito Kalborough, and the top level cross into the new loft and a station (still undecided) and along the back to Kalborough Union station.

med_gallery_17883_3178_37209.jpgrmweb1522oldloft2

at the moment the track is up again for access.....which is why we really need a lift up hatch (watching Newbryford closely)The tracks should both curve here, but also go down their respective sides to meet at the bottom

med_gallery_17883_3178_533904.jpgrmweb1528oldloft8

• Like 6

Kal has just sorted out a lot of plumbing up here, and with the earlier removal of the cold water tank we have opened up a whole new area.

Above the pantry and utility room we have just gained 5x2ftx8ftboards=80sq ft albeit with a low roof.....this is likely to become a scaletrix play area.

med_gallery_17883_3178_105572.jpgrmweb1524oldloft4

med_gallery_17883_3178_454964.jpgrmweb1525oldloft5

swinging to the right we are above part of the kitchen, the chimney is in the kitchen.

med_gallery_17883_3178_157696.jpgrmweb1526oldloft6

Theres about 7ft before the chimney by at least 12ft again with the sloped roof this might be a loop for the scaletrix, or storage.

The above area is just beyond the large tie bar. The plan at present is to run the AV layout this side of the tie bar.

med_gallery_17883_3178_486846.jpgrmweb152oldloft3

Initially the storage will enable us to make room to sort out the layout tables, for this area. The tables are intended to stay inside the main area, and not go into the eaves on the left...although the eaves to the right may be required to do a layout justice.

• Like 5

To the right the eaves extend some way and have some additional height, and though you could not stand up in there, it might be possible to make a really nice fiddle yard, certainly shunting in and putt would be a possibility

med_gallery_17883_3178_454555.jpgrmweb1529oldloft9

A view from the old loft back towards the new loft , up along the far left is the present AV and the blank wall in front is where the stairwell is.

med_gallery_17883_3178_345194.jpgrmweb1527oldloft7

• Like 4

med_gallery_17883_3149_579781.jpgrmweb1529kngightwing1

med_gallery_17883_3149_428463.jpgrmweb1530knightwing2

I want to paint these and am having some problems finding pictures that i recognise. I don't know the era they are from either. If anyone can shed some light I would be really grateful.

In the hope of getting a speedy response to the above question, i started a new thread to ask.....and forgot to add the pictures......ppphhhmmmmffffff.......LOL

now added....hope I get some response other than....what a silly tart......

Kal and Jaz.... You have been busy...

I haven't had much time free to browse the 30 or so pages on here since I've last read, and WOW!!! :O

Figures really do light a layout up, especially when painted to your standards! :P

All the dogs (and Sasquatch) are epic, the dogs could be spider-dog when just twisted wire...

Everything done is brilliant, but you should have the 2 Star Wars figures fighting the Yeti to defend AV from him. :rofl:

Keep up the great work,

Jack.

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

I have a story, There was a certain driver at Kings Cross in the 60's, who when coming out of Ponsborne Tunnel (Bayford stn) hit a deer, with his DMU (he was traveling ECS, to Hertford North) He picked up his train load of passengers at Hertford Nth  and stopped at Bayford stn, but before entering Ponsborne tunnel he stopped, picked up the deer and dumped it in the guards compartment, then carried on to Kings Cross, where he went back to the guards compartment, picked up the deer, throwing it over his shoulder he walked to his car down the packed platform, and nobody said a word.

manna

• Like 5

med_gallery_17883_3149_579781.jpgrmweb1529kngightwing1

med_gallery_17883_3149_428463.jpgrmweb1530knightwing2

I want to paint these and am having some problems finding pictures that i recognise. I don't know the era they are from either. If anyone can shed some light I would be really grateful.

Well I started a thread, I have 3 followers, 58 views AND not one single response. Is this because people are as clueless as me??? So I am going to paint them grey and grubby them. Maybe when I pop them on the layout..someone will.

1. point out they are in the wrong place.....

2. point out they refer to the wrong era...

3. point out they are the wrong colour....

and perhaps someone might add a pictorial reference.....

You'd think that when these companies make these things ...they would know ...and it would be nice if they shared.....

Anyway I am going to use them on the Heritage line.......so I have an excuse to use them.. 

• Like 1

med_gallery_17883_3149_431698.jpgrmweb1391mechanic1

I finally contacedt them regards the missing leg....there was no argument, they apologised checked which set it was from...and took my address and said one would be out in the post. Now you just can't say fairer than that. Excellent service.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Knightwing B45.

As I got no response on the forum. I decided to ask Knightwing direct. This morning a nice gentleman was quite happy to discuss them. He mentioned that a lot of the line side products are invariable just grey and grubby, though telephones may have been repainted as required. He said that the heaters tend to sit near the points but not necessarily adjacent to the point motors, and at times appear in small clusters of say 3, if there is a number of points close together. (perhaps benefiting from the same power source). I asked if he knew the era. He responded that, although they have found items for reference, the best he could say is that they seem to have appeared around the time of the diesels. 

They are certainly period items, as modern ones can vary quite a lot as per the ones below.

1-rica-rail-rolling-stock.jpgrailway-technology.com

DH_Main-CPF-483%252Bmain-yard-turnout-sn

this is the effect

699_general.jpgheat-trace.co.uk

Anyway the electric point heater cabinets, will be painted a grubby grey, and the line side phones probably the same, unless I use them in an era where I know they were usually yellow.

• Like 3

Hi Jaz

Sorry, been away from the parish again. Those small boxes you can put anywhere near the toe of the point. When out and about on my travels there's no real fixed point for those boxes just as long as they are near to the point. There is just an electrical connection to the track for the trace heating. There used to be other types of point heaters which worked off Calor gas but these seem fairly extinct now. These were recognise alb as they used to have a cage containing the gas bottles next to the track. As for the colour of these boxes they are normally grey, although I have seen yellow ones next to newer HPSS points.

The first photo is interesting as I have never come across that type of heater on my travels. There appears to be some kind of ducting under the track from the box.

As for the telephones these are normally found at user worked crossings where anyone using the crossing can phone the controlling signaller to check the lines clear before crossing.

You could use them as signal post telephones as today's standards the phone is placed 20yards back from the signal rather than on the signal itself to stop us lazy drivers pulling up to close to the signal. Although in fairness it's a different type of box.

Hope this of some help

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Jaz

Sorry, been away from the parish again. Those small boxes you can put anywhere near the toe of the point. When out and about on my travels there's no real fixed point for those boxes just as long as they are near to the point. There is just an electrical connection to the track for the trace heating. There used to be other types of point heaters which worked off Calor gas but these seem fairly extinct now. These were recognise alb as they used to have a cage containing the gas bottles next to the track. As for the colour of these boxes they are normally grey, although I have seen yellow ones next to newer HPSS points.

The first photo is interesting as I have never come across that type of heater on my travels. There appears to be some kind of ducting under the track from the box.

As for the telephones these are normally found at user worked crossings where anyone using the crossing can phone the controlling signaller to check the lines clear before crossing.

You could use them as signal post telephones as today's standards the phone is placed 20yards back from the signal rather than on the signal itself to stop us lazy drivers pulling up to close to the signal. Although in fairness it's a different type of box.

Hope this of some help

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus37

Thats fantastic, thank you so much.

I think the first one is probably American.