Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I break down the layout into blocks, a block being a length of track in which a train can stop.The length of the blocks are at least 6 inches longer than my longest train but it some cases much longer. Anything shorter is not a block and so needs no detection.

Blocks never contain turnouts.

With occupancy type detection..

I only need to know when a block is occupied and by what and also when it is empty. Because trains run on rails then

If train 1 leaves block a in a westerly direction then taking into account the turnouts settings the train arriving in block b must be train 1......

It only needs to be this simple which far simpler than man people imagine.

Hi Kal

I am just wondering... If a train comes to the end of a block, say at a signal, before the next turnout, as soon as it goes into the next block it has a turnout in that block (if going straight on)

Lets say Train A has stopped near the end of the block at a signal, just before a turnout. The signal changes to green and the train sets off, it moves either straight on into the next block or branches off at the turnout to the next track and into its block. Does the signal it is just passing turn directly to red?  Looking back down the line, does the signal just before the previous block turn yellow until the full train, now over two blocks has cleared, then when the train has passed fully into the next block the signal turns to green.  Meaning an occupied block always has a red signal prior to it so nothing else can enter and the previous block has a green signal allowing trains to proceed to the next red signal. Unless as stated above the train is, passing out of one block into another and the yellow signal, proceed with caution is displayed one step back down the line. I hope I am making sense here. 

Would you think proceed with caution dangerous and a risk of collision has the train is still not totally out of that block and may stall or derail?  

Thank you for any comments

PJ

And I though you said, welcome you are now a disciple   :angel:

Thank you

:jester: .........no but you could end up looking like that poor bunny that Sasquatch put up without any ears......because I can not only talk the hind leg off a donkey.... :butcher:

Even I am bored of saying Happy Easter now....but I don't want to offend any one by missing them out.....

If I am not careful.....the mods will be pointing out just the one on our own thread should really have been enough.  :angel:

Well we have run out of some essential material to carry on .......so this is where we are at present

there is some floorboards re cut at the far ends to allow air flow, and more floors boards down as usable flooring

med_gallery_17883_3178_222466.jpgrmweb1597oldloft1

The layout will go as far as the horizontal wood, allowing a decent crawl space and access to the back of the layout.

med_gallery_17883_3178_507836.jpgrmweb1598oldloft2

The standard width (without crawl space will be a nominal 11ft, close to what we have in the new loft. so a 4ft deep board a 3ft walk and a 4ft deep board is a starting point.

There is 50mm of PIR insulation floor to ceiling, and we plan to go horizontally with the same. This still leaves a clear head height for the guys...a midget like me (without shoes) has no problems

• Like 7

the good news is we are now getting a nice area to play with....

the bad news is several sets of clothes are embedded with rock wool, we all itch to buggery.....

this main area between the tie beams is 11ft x 18ft

med_gallery_17883_3178_475225.jpgrmweb1599oldloft3

in the far left is a half height space 10x8ft

med_gallery_17883_3178_178625.jpgrmweb1603oldloft7

so not really suitable for a rail track that could work with our main layout, as we can't join to the rest the height difference to too much...... but great for say a scaletrix Where you can sit on the floor

The usable area beyond the third tie bar is not really useful because of the sloped roof....but is is perhaps suitable for a slightly raised diorama with static trams.....so we could do Blackpool trams,

and road and the shops to the side, and include the illuminations , all near the Blackpool Tower. If you have read this thread long..you'll know we are always changing our minds......At least for the details...Blackpool will be here in one manner or another

med_gallery_17883_3178_469387.jpgrmweb1601oldloft5

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

The floor space makes it look really big, but the reality is those eaves cannot benefit the layout directly, although they make a great crawl space and storage area

med_gallery_17883_3178_383718.jpgrmweb1602oldloft6

The real advantage of this, is not that we now have a nice space to make a layout, oh no it is that we now have a well insulated roof space and this should reduce heating bills.  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :jester:

• Like 8

WOW JK that is some roof space, its bigger the the whole PLOT of the Bungalow we may still get. :O

I do like the wall and river, it wasn't till I saw the last pic that I realised it was a model, just brilliant. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 1

Hi Jaz

I love the water round the bottom of the wall. My wife has an Aunt who lives in Brittany in France in a town called Guerande. Its a medieval walled town with a moat round it and it just looks so much like that. Sorry, it was only going to be a matter of time but I thought I would post a picture of the place in question, only trouble is the only one I could find has yours truly on it. Ok here goes...............

post-18515-0-20037500-1398095329_thumb.jpg

And another one. I'll spare you my ugly mush on this one

post-18515-0-39037600-1398095510_thumb.jpg

As you can see though it demonstrates just how real yours looks.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 4

well we spent some of today scrambling around on the new loft boards, with a piece of chalk....discussing how i get one level with some scenery, and Kal gets a big fide;e yard...that might involve some scenery.

There was the 

4ft top board scenery               with the          3ft fiddle yard. 

37in high                                                          22 in high

leaving a large crawl space being, for storage and fiddle yard access, and up 16 tracks for the fiddle yard, although only 2 go round in a big radii to the other side

or the 2 track hug the out side of the loft all the way around.

there was the 

scenery board at the bottom, which I have to say was not my favourite, as I can't do a long photograph, and would have limited height for contour access

we have considered what we need to fit in.......basically we need a T A R D I S

We want Blackpool style seaside and trams, AND illuminations. That will be fun.....

We need some where for the big ships.....so a harbour or some sea.....we could fit that in the small alcove....maybe against the wall behind the stairs....I had already painted water there.

We have loads of Bachmann and Hornby resin buildings, Ash plant and Coal, Mines, Water Works, Gas, Shops, houses, Industrial, Low reliefs, avenues with houses and trees, gas stations, oh and a station or two....

The problem is we need tables....but what size.....what height......We could build a hill at the back so you can easily climb under it. 

The thing is we are greedy...we want to maximise the space...and only build it once....and fit in ALL the ideas we have.......actually we need a miracle.....

A generic station and some fairly flat areas, with the odd service road, and maybe we can exchange in and out some of the buildings we have......

• Like 3